Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SVORD 3" EDC Hiker

Santos · 16 · 2448

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
SVORD 3" EDC Hiker
on: October 07, 2015, 01:31:05 PM
HOW IT BEGAN
A while back i purchased a Svord EDC Hiker, i didn't get it on my NZ trip cause the only place i found one was in Queenstown and the display blade had a really bad grind and yellow pvc sheath (5mm or more unground on one tip side, Quality Control fail).However i did order a leather sheath model with a prayer from USA on Ebay the week i got back.
Santos, Take nothing!

Buy Svords   :salute:

http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_category=27&controller=category

:twak: I :twak: Have :twak::twak: Low :twak: Purchase :twak: Resistance :twak: Threshold :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Pre-purchase Impressions.
 (Online photos and seeing it on display in Queenstown)
A rustic blade that shares similarities in appearance with the Esee Izula. Like an Izula design throwback from a boutique cutlery maker in the 1800's. Size wise having not seeing a Izula in person i could only go of manufacture measurements that the blade is similar size but a smaller handle.

Also they had the Svord Mega EDC 4.1. It was like a much larger BK11. If you wanted a Rambo proportion Bk11 that would be it. About two fingers wider than a standard Becker Necker, longer and a full sized handle.

First Impressions Upon owning it.
A knife that cater for someone who needs a factory offering  smaller than a Becker-BK11/Esee-Izula Standard neck knife but larger than a Esee-Candiru/Becker-Remora Micro (Neck )knife. Lets call this non-existant obscure niche knife type the Pygmy (Neck)  Knife market.

This Pygmy neck knife (if i keep refering to it as such it will catch on) also suits the 'tacticless*' hipster who enjoys the rustic lines and vintage-style leather sheath that makes a brand new knife look like a three generations or more family heirloom.

Also it like the ancestreal mongrel of modern pedigree standard sized neck knives. It lacks several design features like curves on the handle and a blade that is likely to bite in my index finger.

Basically its a project knife to customise by the end user who wants custom handles and tweaking rather than out-of-the-box ready for action.

*another thing that will catch on, 'Tacticless' the hipster counter-culture of tacticool

Current Impressions
(After using it extensively in EDC rotationover last 4 months)
 I was wrong. The knife does not need rehandling, i do not need to round out the bottom sharp bit. It is extremly pocket friendly. I carry it more often in the city than my Candiru. Its thinner than my Bk11 but thats not an issue, in fact its a plus. 2.4mm is plenty beefy for a Pygmy neck knife. I don't think it will break in its utility purpose life short of using it as a pry bar. I have used it to fashion a gaff, cut rope, make cardboard gaskets, slice rags, eat apples/citrus fruits and haven't touched the edge. Still cuts on factory edge.

Definitely recommend it for anyone who is looking for the smallest form factor and largest blade area. It weighs the same as my smaller Esee Candiru. It will never quite replace my Becker Bk11 which i love for its more benign apperance and well suited for Globe trotting travels but to quote the 2013 movie Her. "The heart is not like a box that gets filled up; it expands in size the more you love."
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:49:22 PM by Santos »
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Re: SVORD 3" EDC Hiker
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:35:39 PM
Post Script

I wrote this review a few weeks back and then couldn't find the cable to transfer phtos off my phone. since then i have received a fake izula and noted its only slightly smaller than the izula almost trivial.

I also been looking at the Svord Peasant knifes (non-mini model) and i would say that EDC hiker may very well just be a fixed blade incarnation of that folder as the geomatry looks almost identical.
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:20:00 PM
Very nice mate  :salute: wish i hadnt looked on there site  :facepalm: they have a peasant with a clipoint blade and a micro peasant  :ahhh  :ahhh its lucky these are afordable  :D

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:31:30 PM
The link appears to be wrong. www.nzh ??? Thanks for the review.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:48:52 PM
Hi Santos  :salute:

Nice review Mate  :tu:

also suits the 'tacticless*' hipster who enjoys the rustic lines and vintage-style leather sheath that makes a brand new knife look like a three generations or more family heirloom.

Thats me  :ahhh

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 07:38:45 AM
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:47:12 AM
Also used it to cut some radial tyres this last long weekend. Basically removed a lot of rubber so i could salvage the rubber metal wire to be used as 'arame' for a Berimbau

Ran the edge down a kitchen knife steel, mainly to kill time,it didnt really need it :D
Lucky that day i decided to take both the hiker and a bk11 to a bbq
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:53:57 AM by Santos »
- Terry Pratchett

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 11:28:50 AM
Would love to see pics when it is done.  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 09:09:15 PM
Everything’s adjustable

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:09:17 PM
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 01:15:42 AM

Tacticless??  :D

Fairly sure  :)

My mind keeps reading a different word :facepalm:

Spoken like a man that has taken a shot to the tacticless at one time or another.....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 06:34:03 AM

Tacticless??  :D

Fairly sure  :)

My mind keeps reading a different word :facepalm:

Spoken like a man that has taken a shot to the tacticless at one time or another.....

It happened a few years ago when I sold my Grappling hook  :shrug:
Everything’s adjustable

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 01:42:22 PM
ThreadNecromancy.

Kinda sad this is no longer an easily replaceable svord line.

It still gets a lo of pocket carry, especially because its the slimmest without the micarta handles of the izula, candiru or becker necker
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 05:28:56 PM
Necromancy, at its best.

Not sure of the genesis of the hiker blade,  but I have a sheepsfoot modified hiker, done by Kyley Harris  roughly 13 to 14 years ago.  As I recall, he was having the peasent  knife blades modified and he added scales.
ckc1.jpg
* ckc1.jpg (Filesize: 47.29 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 08:35:16 AM
Coincidentally i was thinking about

A) Thinking I should put a wood handle on a stripped down svord peasent to compare it against the Svord EDC hiker

B) Reprofile the larger Svord MEGA EDC i picked up into a rigging knife with a stab safe shepfoot

It gets so little love, its not a bad knife it just isn't amazing either. keeps a great edge. it is also the fastest rusting knife in the world. For some reason the little one (same steel)  doesn't rust nearly as fast but anything but bone dry and the Mega EDC blooms red. It makes every other carbon knife I own appear to be stainless in comparison.
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 08:40:28 AM
Necromancy, at its best.

Not sure of the genesis of the hiker blade,  but I have a sheepsfoot modified hiker, done by Kyley Harris  roughly 13 to 14 years ago.  As I recall, he was having the peasent  knife blades modified and he added scales.

Post Script.

I vaguely recall a pre-hiker edc post on some random forum where a user welded a skeleton fixed tang onto the  Peasant and that being the inspiration, did a
quick google but couldn't find it.

EDIT

Found you tube video CKC Hiker, guy hand converted 30 peasnts then sword started supplying him with 80% finished lazer cut blanks. Mine was bought online as a true SVord after seeing them in a camping store in Queenstown NZ

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:55:14 AM by Santos »
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD