Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets talk iconic knives.

Aloha · 206 · 7014

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Lets talk iconic knives.
Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 11:20:17 AM
In a time that pioneers head into the unknown landscape to build their lives, in a time that people rely on their knives to do all kinds tasks fifty times a day, in a time that people could not afford expensive cutlery but wanted something can last a life time, in a time that pocket knives were considered tools, not pocket jewelry, in a time people always kept a knife in pocket wherever they go and feel naked without it.

Yea, you remember or at least you read about that.

It was 1867 and Mercator was a product of that time.       
That is right, 100 years before the birth of Buck 110.

150 years before the Mercator was the Barlow....the first mass produced EDC knife "in a time that people rely on their knives to do all kinds tasks fifty times a day, in a time that people could not afford expensive cutlery but wanted something can last a life time, in a time that pocket knives were considered tools, not pocket jewelry, in a time people always kept a knife in pocket wherever they go and feel naked without it."

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 11:21:30 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Victorinox SwissChamp yet.
It's not the oldest nor the thickest and it wasnt the first to pack an incredible amount of features but for at least 30 years it's been considered the "everything" SAK (despite the new XL* variations and Wenger counterparts) and it remains one of the most iconic and unique knives in the world.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:23:04 AM by Syem »

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 11:24:22 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Victorinox SwissChamp yet.
It's not the oldest nor the thickest and it wasnt the first to pack an incredible amount of features but for at least 30 years it's been considered the "everything" SAK (despite the new XL* variations) and it remains one of the most iconic and unique knives in the world.

I think the Swiss Army knife in general would be considered iconic. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 01:21:35 PM
I don't think I'm going to mention anything new to this thread, but the ones that spring to mind are; bowie, laguiole, Buck 110, Opinel and just about any traditional Scandinavian belt knife.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 02:49:31 PM
Great follow up Etherealicer and exactly what I had hoped for as well.  Some knifes considered iconic oftentimes are updated or versions of iconic knives. 

@VICMAN,  :salute:.   The Buck 110 is iconic plain and simple and while the Mercator came well before it there are others who came well before and so on.  What I find most interesting is how "peasant" knives will always make anyone list of iconic blades.  I'm going to keep referring to certain knives as simple and honest.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 03:46:19 PM
What I find most interesting is how "peasant" knives will always make anyone list of iconic blades.  I'm going to keep referring to certain knives as simple and honest.   

Most of the gimmick knives have fallen by the way-side. The Victorinox Soldier is probably the exception.

Is the Leatherman PST considered a 'knife'?

While there were other multitools before the LM, I'd say the PST is the iconic version.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 03:53:38 PM
What I find most interesting is how "peasant" knives will always make anyone list of iconic blades.  I'm going to keep referring to certain knives as simple and honest.   

Most of the gimmick knives have fallen by the way-side. The Victorinox Soldier is probably the exception.

Is the Leatherman PST considered a 'knife'?

While there were other multitools before the LM, I'd say the PST is the iconic version.

I agree.  Gimmick knives or knives poorly executed to resemble classics that go on to become iconic do fall by the way.   side.  Regarding the PST,  iconic no doubt.  Is it a knife?  Yes and no.  Its a category that has came into its own.  The LM PST certainly spurred this category and here we are today.  While I'd agree the SAK is a knife I also consider it a MT.  I think we'd get some interesting thoughts on it tho.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 03:57:14 PM
Great follow up Etherealicer and exactly what I had hoped for as well.  Some knifes considered iconic oftentimes are updated or versions of iconic knives. 

@VICMAN,  :salute:.   The Buck 110 is iconic plain and simple and while the Mercator came well before it there are others who came well before and so on.  What I find most interesting is how "peasant" knives will always make anyone list of iconic blades.  I'm going to keep referring to certain knives as simple and honest.   

I definitely agree that peasant knives such as the Opinel are iconic.  :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 04:18:05 PM
Nothing new for me to add.  This is a great thread!
Barry

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 04:25:27 PM
Barlow
Opinel
Puuko
Ka bar USMC
Buck 110
Swiss army knives as a general category
Ulu

I mean,  I THINK everything else is more or less based off of one of those, right?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 04:32:13 PM
Gimmicky is of course not a precise term, but there are at least 2 more members of the more fiddely family:
Balisong (also an extremely iconic design)
and the
Karambit (ok, you can call me a HEMA-elitist, but that is neither a knife nor a weapon, just a toy)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 04:38:57 PM
Barlow
Opinel
Puuko
Ka bar USMC
Buck 110
Swiss army knives as a general category
Ulu

I mean,  I THINK everything else is more or less based off of one of those, right?
There are many more iconic blades (but mostly I would not know an individual knife/company that made them iconic)
Kukri (Gurkha)
Balisong
Higonokami (there are other friction folders, but not many as recognizable)
Karambit
Tanto (its blade shape alone is iconic)
Dagger Family (double edged), e.g. the mentioned Fairbairn-Sykes and Applegate-Fairbairn dagger
Kris

Things I miss and can't think what would be the iconic blade for that
- forward curved (hawkbill) blade?
- dive knife (with the tank tap)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 04:48:55 PM
Balisong.  What a wonderful thing it is.  Whatever the origins, I tip my hat to our Filipino brethren for its perfection.  There are some who say its origin is 800ce.  There are other beliefs as to the origins.  Could this knife be one of the most banned knifes across all continents?  What a spectacular display in the hands of experienced flippers. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:29:45 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 04:51:56 PM
I think the origins of a knife pattern is important.  Getting that particular pattern to iconic stature thru revisions is also important.  I'm sure there are many knives that fall into this situation.  The originator may not get the "credit" but I'm always more than appreciative of a knifes origins.  We may never know the true origins but I'm also a fan of the stories told. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 06:20:56 PM
and the Karambit (ok, you can call me a HEMA-elitist, but that is neither a knife nor a weapon, just a toy)

I'd have to agree that the Balisong Butterfly knife is iconic. Although, again, not a game changer.

(And, word to the wise, don't tel Doug Marcaida that the karambit is not a weapon.  ;))

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 07:39:03 PM
I would feel the need to distinguissh/differentiate between iconinc specific knives and iconic knife styles.
My picks would be:

Iconic knife styles which many people can picture or imagine/relate to their name, era or time period, location or uses:
Show content
- Bowie
- Stiletto
- Balisong
- Flipper Knife
- OTF/Automatic
- Dive knife
- Peasant Knife
- Combat/Military knife (ala SOG, KaBar, Ontario...)
- Machetes
- Kitchen knives of several types
- Hunting knives (ala Bucks)
- Puuko/Scandinavian Knives
- SAKs
- Traditional Knife (several patterns such as Stockman, Barlow, Sodbuster, Trapper)
- Karambit
- Dagger
  · Fairbairn-Sykes
  · Swiss/German dagger
  · Rondell
  · Bollock Dagger
  · Fencing/Italian dagger
  · Sai
  · Kris
- Kukri
- Short Sword
  · Cinquedea
  · Xyphos
  · Falcata
  · Gladius
- Swords
  · Two Handed Longsword
  · Viking Sword
  · Saber
  · Katana and Wakizashi
  · Basket Hilt Sword
  · Scimitar
  · Rapier
  · Cutlass
- Throwing Knife (kunai style especially) 

and then iconic specific production knives, some discontinued, some still produced, depending on your knife-nerdiness some are more expected to be known than others  :D
Show content
Traditionals:
- Opinel
- DoukDouk
- Mercator
- Okapi
- Svord
- Higonokami
- Barlow, Stockman, and others made by Case, Queen, GEC... 
- Buck 110 and 112

Modern sheath knives:
- Buck 119, 120 and maybe others
- Schrade Sharpfinger
- Randall (several models)
- KaBar COmbat Utility
- Ontario Pilot Knife and others
- Mora/Hultafors
- ESEE Junglas and Izula
- Gerber Trident, Mark I and II, LMF, Prodigy
- KaBar Becker BK9 and BK2
- Bradford Guardian series
- Marttiini knives
- Puukos (of several makers)

Modern folding knives:
- Spyderco Military, Police, Paramilitary, Delica and Endura, Worker, Harpy
- Benchmade 710, 940, Griprillian, Infidel, Adamas, Presidio
- Cold Steel Tantos, Recon, Espada,
- Gerber Paraframe, EZ Out, Gator
- Kershaw Leek, Shallot, Scallion, Blur, Skyline
- ZT 0652, and others
- Emerson CQC7, Horseman
- Microtech Scarab, and others
- CRK Sebenza, Insingo and others

and I left out a lot, I am sure
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 07:49:43 PM
and the Karambit (ok, you can call me a HEMA-elitist, but that is neither a knife nor a weapon, just a toy)

I'd have to agree that the Balisong Butterfly knife is iconic. Although, again, not a game changer.

(And, word to the wise, don't tel Doug Marcaida that the karambit is not a weapon.  ;))

(Image removed from quote.)
They call everything a weapon on that show, even a fiction folder.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 08:28:37 PM
I would feel the need to distinguissh/differentiate between iconinc specific knives and iconic knife styles.
My picks would

Iconic knife styles which many people can picture or imagine/relate to their name, era or time period, location or uses:
Show content
- Bowie
- Stiletto
- Balisong
- Flipper Knife
- OTF/Automatic
- Dive knife
- Peasant Knife
- Combat/Military knife (ala SOG, KaBar, Ontario...)
- Machetes
- Kitchen knives of several types
- Hunting knives (ala Bucks)
- Puuko/Scandinavian Knives
- SAKs
- Traditional Knife (several patterns such as Stockman, Barlow, Sodbuster, Trapper)
- Karambit
- Dagger
  · Fairbairn-Sykes
  · Swiss/German dagger
  · Rondell
  · Bollock Dagger
  · Fencing/Italian dagger
  · Sai
  · Kris
- Kukri
- Short Sword
  · Cinquedea
  · Xyphos
  · Falcata
  · Gladius
- Swords
  · Two Handed Longsword
  · Viking Sword
  · Saber
  · Katana and Wakizashi
  · Basket Hilt Sword
  · Scimitar
  · Rapier
  · Cutlass
- Throwing Knife (kunai style especially) 

and then iconic specific production knives, some discontinued, some still produced, depending on your knife-nerdiness some are more expected to be known than others  :D
Show content
Traditionals:
- Opinel
- DoukDouk
- Mercator
- Okapi
- Svord
- Higonokami
- Barlow, Stockman, and others made by Case, Queen, GEC... 
- Buck 110 and 112

Modern sheath knives:
- Buck 119, 120 and maybe others
- Schrade Sharpfinger
- Randall (several models)
- KaBar COmbat Utility
- Ontario Pilot Knife and others
- Mora/Hultafors
- ESEE Junglas and Izula
- Gerber Trident, Mark I and II, LMF, Prodigy
- KaBar Becker BK9 and BK2
- Bradford Guardian series
- Marttiini knives
- Puukos (of several makers)

Modern folding knives:
- Spyderco Military, Police, Paramilitary, Delica and Endura, Worker, Harpy
- Benchmade 710, 940, Griprillian, Infidel, Adamas, Presidio
- Cold Steel Tantos, Recon, Espada,
- Gerber Paraframe, EZ Out, Gator
- Kershaw Leek, Shallot, Scallion, Blur, Skyline
- ZT 0652, and others
- Emerson CQC7, Horseman
- Microtech Scarab, and others
- CRK Sebenza, Insingo and others

and I left out a lot, I am sure

I'm certain the wording of the guideline I borrowed could have been refined much better, however thats why I thought "free flowing non stringent" preface need to be said.  I like how you grouped knives. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 09:51:04 PM
Aye, I don't know that the "Original" of any given design is necessarily going to be the "Iconic"

for me, the "Iconic" fighting knife is a Fairburn-Sykes, for Yanks it might be the Ka-Bar

The FS itself is obviously put together from designs that the gents involved had seen and liked, as was the KaBar I have no doubt.

To say where the "game changing" was in that evolution is a bit hard to pinpoint, and I'm sure everyone would argue for their favourite one being the one that "defined" the category.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: January 08, 2019, 11:32:01 PM
Game changing can be very hard to determine.  In some instances the refinement in forging steel.  In others subtle changes to egos and materials chosen.  These refinements make a difference IMO and do make for a better "design".  Now looking at the knife depot guidelines I see I should have taken more time to make changes to some wording  :facepalm:.  Sorry about that.  I was excited however to get this thread off and see the discussions that would follow. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 12:28:23 PM
I think it is going great, Aloha :salute: Great topic :like: Not much I can think to add to the list :tu: so many great knives and patterns have been mentioned :like: It is great to see so many different styles and how different cultures have all gotten way different results in designing their own cutting tools :tu: Environment has played a major factor in a lot of these design and also when they were designed and created had a big impact on what and how they were designed :cheers: As I said this is a great thread :like: :like:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: January 09, 2019, 01:04:53 PM
My picks would be:

Traditionals:

Modern sheath knives:

Modern folding knives:

Very impressive listings Peacent! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 01:05:22 PM
I think it is going great, Aloha :salute: Great topic :like: Not much I can think to add to the list :tu: so many great knives and patterns have been mentioned :like: It is great to see so many different styles and how different cultures have all gotten way different results in designing their own cutting tools :tu: Environment has played a major factor in a lot of these design and also when they were designed and created had a big impact on what and how they were designed :cheers: As I said this is a great thread :like: :like:

:iagree:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 03:03:25 PM
Great topic Aloha  :tu:
I was thinking of the leather washer handle and how it has been used across a wide range of fixed blades for such a long time.
Originally thought F/S and Kabar as others have noted so here is mine with an Applegate updated version by Boker.
The “Kabar”is actually a late WW2 Camillus (guard marked).
The F/S is a Wilkinson made 3rd pattern with the thicker hand ground blade.
Andrew

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 03:20:44 PM
Great topic Aloha  :tu:
I was thinking of the leather washer handle and how it has been used across a wide range of fixed blades for such a long time.
Originally thought F/S and Kabar as others have noted so here is mine with an Applegate updated version by Boker.
The “Kabar”is actually a late WW2 Camillus (guard marked).
The F/S is a Wilkinson made 3rd pattern with the thicker hand ground blade.

Nice knives sak60 ! :like: :tu: :tu:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 09, 2019, 03:24:38 PM
Thank you  :hatsoff: Vicman
Andrew

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: January 09, 2019, 03:28:40 PM
Great set of blades there, sak60!  :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: January 09, 2019, 03:33:45 PM
Great set of blades there, sak60!  :like:

:iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #58 on: January 09, 2019, 03:34:20 PM
I was trying to think of a modern knife that might be considered iconic and I can't think of a one.
I don't know, maybe my mind set is preventing me from seeing it. Correct me if I'm missing something.
I see an icon as that long produced knife that has survived the test of time, with or with out some minor changes.
In modern knives I see ideas that became game changers, more than I see knives that are iconic. Ideas and innovations alone do not make a knife iconic.
The walker liner lock was a major innovation that all liner locks and frame locks are based on.

Kershaw, ZT, Emerson, Microtech, might be well known but I'm not seeing any single knife model that has survived to become an icon.

Spyderco wasn't the first to use a pocket clip but they popularized the pocket clip and their bird head shaped blade. I don't think they have a knife that could be considered iconic out side of the Spyderco fans. I'm willing to bet Spyderco fans couldn't pick just one.

The same with Benchmade they are famous for their ambidextrous axis lock, more so than any single knife.

Cold steel had the idea of putting the end of a sword on a folder and made the tanto more main stream.
Mostly they are known for a fat man hacking chickens, dangling on a rope.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: January 09, 2019, 03:44:09 PM
I don't think they have a knife that could be considered iconic out side of the Spyderco fans. I'm willing to bet Spyderco fans couldn't pick just one.

I agree with you, Dean.

For the sake of argument, I'd like to put forth the Spyderco Endura as an iconic knife.  When I think of "Spyderco", it's the Endura that springs to mind. And it's one of their older designs.

For me, the Endura was the first knife that combined FRN handles, the Spydie hole, and a clip. Before the Endura....I never gave a plastic-handled knife a second glance. And the Endura brought in an unusual blade shape, as well. Unusual for the time.  Even the strengthened tip seemed to speak of purpose and intention.

I don't currently have an Endura, but for me, the Endura was THE Spydie....and maybe a game-changer.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%