Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mora Kansbol vs Garberg comparison pics

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Mora Kansbol vs Garberg comparison pics
on: November 17, 2016, 04:54:13 PM
Most of you know by now that I'm a big fan of the Mora Garberg, so when I noticed that the webshop where I tend to buy most of my knives/tools had the Mora Kansbol in stock for 35,95 Euro, I just couldn't resist ...

There have been a lot of comments on the price of the Garberg since day one that it came out.  At 35,95 Euro the new Kansbol is still more expensive than a Companion (everything is more expensive than a Companion  ::)), but it's still about three times cheaper than the Garberg.  So I just had to get myself a Kansbol to compare it with my Garberg.  The Kansbol arrived yesterday, and today I took some pics of it, next to my Garberg, to show the differences.

First thing I noticed when I held the unopened package containing the Kansbol in my hands was how light it felt, quite the opposite of what happened when my Garberg arrived ... Holding my Garberg in one hand, and my Kansbol in the other only confirms my initial thoughts, the Kansbol may share the Garberg looks, but it's not a Garberg ...  When I held my Garberg in my hands for the first time, I could tell straight away that this was not a "regular" Mora, this thing was heavy, the balance was great, it was very clear that this was one piece of fine Sandvik steel with a handle molten around it.

The Kansbol, on the other hand,feels more like ... well, a Mora.

And it's not only the weight and the thickness of the spine, the handle also feels different.  Even though they look identical, the handle on the Kansbol feels different.  While the handle of the Garberg is completely made out of this hard polymer plastic, the handle on the Kansbol seems to be made out of two materials, the ribbed inner part feels exactly the same as the handle on the Garberg, but the outer part feels a lot softer, something in between the Garberg handle and the handle on the companion.  So it feels a bit softer and stickier, more rubber like.  First time I held the Garberg I was a bit disappointment in the handle material, but after using it a couple of times, I prefer it over the softer/rubber handles on other Mora's.  It just feels better in my opinion, especially on hot summer days.

I'm not saying that the Kansbol is not a good knife, since I haven't used it, I'm only talking about the feel of the knife here.  I'll update this topic after I got the chance to use the Kansbol.

Anyway, here are the pics (pics were taken inside since it's dark and wet outside ...  ::)):

Looks like somebody slipped a bit while grinding the knife ...

Hope you guys enjoyed it  :salute:.

no Offline Grathr

Re: Mora Kansbol vs Garberg comparison pics
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:06:22 PM
Nice comparison! :tu:

Do you have a Mora 2000? How does it compare to that?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:09:36 PM
Nice comparison! :tu:

Do you have a Mora 2000? How does it compare to that?

Nope, no Mora 2000 in my collection ...  :-\

Maybe somebody should send me one, so I could compare it with the Kansbol and take some pics of those two ...  :pok:

:whistle:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:36:14 PM
Nice comparison  :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 05:50:31 PM
Nice comparison. You really couldn't resist...
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 06:02:07 PM
Fantastic mate.  Just the comparison I wanted to see. :cheers:  Very interesting to hear that the Kansbol handle is more like what I imagined the Garberg to have been before I actually handled one.  What are your thoughts on the Kansbol's sheath? 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 06:21:31 PM
Awesome thread, pics...thank you very much!!!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 08:23:40 PM
Thanks guys  :salute:.

Fantastic mate.  Just the comparison I wanted to see. :cheers:  Very interesting to hear that the Kansbol handle is more like what I imagined the Garberg to have been before I actually handled one.  What are your thoughts on the Kansbol's sheath?

The sheath seems to be exactly the same as the one that comes with the Garberg, I've put my Garberg in the Kansbol sheath and vice versa.  The Kansbol is a bit harder to get out of the sheath, probably due to its "more rubberized" handle. 

My Garberg only comes with me during weekend hikes, so it's not like I have carried it for weeks in a row, but when I carry it, I tend to use this sheath instead of the leather one.  I prefer this one over the leather one because of its very low profile design, the leather one looks and feels a lot bigger, while this one is real easy to carry in the side pocket of a backpack, or even in the leg pocket of a pair of outdoor trousers.  And with this one you can also put the belt loop on your belt at home, and put the knife and its sheath in the belt loop when you're at the start of your hike, so no "big" knife on your belt while driving your car (yes, you can just put the leather sheath on your belt at the start of the hike also, but when it's cold and wet outside I prefer to pop the knife in the loop instead of having to pull up my fleece and raincoat to unbuckle my belt to ... you know what I mean  ;).

Like I said, I only carry this sheath during a hike in the weekends, so I can't really say if the loop and sheath hold up well after time, but I don't see any wear or tear on mine at the moment.

P.S.: I bought the Kansbol with only the sheath and the belt loop, you can also buy a Kansbol with the complete multimount setup, like the one you get with the Garberg.  But since I already own the multimount setup, and the sheaths are interchangeable I didn't want to spent 15 Euro extra on an extra multimount setup (I thought the Kansbol with complete multimount setup costs around 52 Euro).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 09:52:46 PM
Hmm, looked at it myself before... Just don't know if it'll justify leaving my Companion on the side...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 10:19:37 PM
Great comparison and pics :cheers: I really do  :like: both of them :dd: :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 10:30:35 PM
Thanks guys  :salute:.

The sheath seems to be exactly the same as the one that comes with the Garberg, I've put my Garberg in the Kansbol sheath and vice versa.  The Kansbol is a bit harder to get out of the sheath, probably due to its "more rubberized" handle. 

My Garberg only comes with me during weekend hikes, so it's not like I have carried it for weeks in a row, but when I carry it, I tend to use this sheath instead of the leather one.  I prefer this one over the leather one because of its very low profile design, the leather one looks and feels a lot bigger, while this one is real easy to carry in the side pocket of a backpack, or even in the leg pocket of a pair of outdoor trousers.  And with this one you can also put the belt loop on your belt at home, and put the knife and its sheath in the belt loop when you're at the start of your hike, so no "big" knife on your belt while driving your car (yes, you can just put the leather sheath on your belt at the start of the hike also, but when it's cold and wet outside I prefer to pop the knife in the loop instead of having to pull up my fleece and raincoat to unbuckle my belt to ... you know what I mean  ;).

Like I said, I only carry this sheath during a hike in the weekends, so I can't really say if the loop and sheath hold up well after time, but I don't see any wear or tear on mine at the moment.

P.S.: I bought the Kansbol with only the sheath and the belt loop, you can also buy a Kansbol with the complete multimount setup, like the one you get with the Garberg.  But since I already own the multimount setup, and the sheaths are interchangeable I didn't want to spent 15 Euro extra on an extra multimount setup (I thought the Kansbol with complete multimount setup costs around 52 Euro).

Damn.  You're not helping me save my pennies you know. :-\

Cheers for the info mate. :cheers:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 08:48:31 AM

That's what we do here at MTO, isn't it ?  :pok:

You're welcome mate  :cheers:.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 08:42:25 PM
Nice write up and pics, thank you.   :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 08:57:31 PM

Hey, I actually managed to hold out for a few months before my willpower crumbled. :D

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 10:28:35 PM

Thanks mate  :salute:.

Hey, I actually managed to hold out for a few months before my willpower crumbled. :D

Okay, you postponed your crumbling for a couple of months  :P.

Reading your thoughts on the Kansbol in one of the other Mora topics it looks as if you quite like it, right ?  I also like the shape of the handle on the Kansbol (and the Garberg) very much, in the past I thought nothing would beat the ergonomics of my Companion handle, until I held my Garberg for the first time.  The shape on the Garberg/Kansbol handle works great in every position that you hold the knife, while the one on the Companion feels a bit akward when you're holding the knife "upside-down" to do some fine carving (hope this makes sense).

Anyway, I'm glad you like the Kansbol, and I hope to see a lot of pics of it in the future  ;).

P.S.:  You should take a look at the Varusteleka Jaakaripuukko, these are also great value for money  :pok: :pok: :pok:

;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 10:38:12 PM

Reading your thoughts on the Kansbol in one of the other Mora topics it looks as if you quite like it, right ?  I also like the shape of the handle on the Kansbol (and the Garberg) very much, in the past I thought nothing would beat the ergonomics of my Companion handle, until I held my Garberg for the first time.  The shape on the Garberg/Kansbol handle works great in every position that you hold the knife, while the one on the Companion feels a bit akward when you're holding the knife "upside-down" to do some fine carving (hope this makes sense).

Anyway, I'm glad you like the Kansbol, and I hope to see a lot of pics of it in the future  ;).

P.S.:  You should take a look at the Varusteleka Jaakaripuukko, these are also great value for money  :pok: :pok: :pok:

;)

Yes, I definitely like it. :tu:

No, I don't need a Varusteleka Jaakaripuukko, I've just spent a few months worth of "toy" money on a new axe. :-[

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 10:44:13 PM

;)

Yes, I definitely like it. :tu:

No, I don't need a Varusteleka Jaakaripuukko, I've just spent a few months worth of "toy" money on a new axe. :-[

A few months you say, seems like just the time you need to think it over ...  ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 10:49:44 PM
That's it, I'm logging off for tonight.  Everyone is set on tempting me into spending all my money all of a sudden.  :P

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 11:14:41 PM
 :rofl:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 12:23:07 PM
That's it, I'm logging off for tonight.  Everyone is set on tempting me into spending all my money all of a sudden.  :P

That's how we roll on MTO, brother ;)

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 06:26:18 PM
Hey you did the same to me. And we all do it to each other
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 10:33:04 PM
Hey you did the same to me. And we all do it to each other

Yeah, Karma at work I guess. ::)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 02:19:16 AM

::)

:rofl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 09:23:23 PM
Hmm, looked at it myself before... Just don't know if it'll justify leaving my Companion on the side...

Over 2 years have passed...
Yet I got one today.
No need for it... but overload of "want"  :facepalm:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 09:48:20 PM

Yet I got one today.

That's what we do here, we plant a seed and start the waiting game ... sometimes it's a matter of days, sometimes 2 years or more  ...  >:D

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 09:53:45 PM
Consider it Karma  >:D.

Remember your Led Lenser F1R vs Olight S1R topic ...  :pok:

Show content

Show content
And I even bought a 4th one, for Misses TG-24  :facepalm:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 10:47:02 PM
Ok, I obviously costed you more...

Then again, those are some bright little buggers!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 08:35:05 PM

Yet I got one today.

I didn't need one, or the CRKT Spark'n'Sharp... or the Grimlock clip for it... Too bad the WANT is often stronger than the NEED  :pok:

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 08:37:45 PM

Yet I got one today.

(Image removed from quote.)

I didn't need one, or the CRKT Spark'n'Sharp... or the Grimlock clip for it... Too bad the WANT is often stronger than the NEED  :pok:

:D

Yay!

I'm not alone.

The buyer's remorse settled a bit and I'm loving this knife!

Can't wait to find an excuse to carry it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%