Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ya Gotta be...Tough Tool Schrade - February Challenge

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Ya Gotta be...Tough Tool Schrade - February Challenge
Reply #331 on: February 12, 2019, 08:34:28 PM
Excellent work GLBM  :tu: :like:
Thanks, W! :cheers:

Day 12

Making a new cord for an old 12v compressor, the wire cutters, the wire stripper and the pliers all took part, here's the new clamps ready for solder
Good work! :like:

Nice work, shows how the TT could help on the side of the road  :tu:
Thank you, Greg! :cheers:

Indeed it would make a great automotive tool with the long reach, good drivers and sharp plier teeth. :iagree:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #332 on: February 13, 2019, 12:17:45 AM
Day11
We have a failure!

Ok it is not a tool fail, just a bad impliment.
Remember the pic of my blunt, painted/coated can opener...it doesnt work.
Turns out the shoulder on the tang doesnt sit properly against the locking tab. This cause the tab to shift above the spine of the can opener and flex backwards.

This put my TT out of commission for over a year. That back spring popped back like that and stayed, had no retention on any of the tools in that handle. Had to drill out the rivet bend it back and put a new bolt to hold the tools in the handle.

This is the weak link on this tool. This happened to my early version of TT, I was able to bend it back before I sold it. They redesigned it in later models by adding some extra bends in it to strengthen it.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #333 on: February 13, 2019, 12:42:39 AM
Day 12
Just "Rocking out" ...or is that out on a rock?
:facepalm:
20190209_163202-1.jpg
* 20190209_163202-1.jpg (Filesize: 277.1 KB)
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #334 on: February 13, 2019, 02:45:47 AM
Didn't use a thing on it today.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #335 on: February 13, 2019, 03:03:42 AM
Impressive G-Man and GJ serious work there guys.  Allways liked Roc'n Out Noa, and love that sheath cody.
I finally decided it was time I gave the can opener a try on my TT
With out the stong back spring of a Vic or lock of other MT's it took a little adjusting but that was easy enough.

Then as the process was under way it seamed to be the "cleanest cut of ANY can opener i have ever used.

As I finnised up I came to realize that the TT can opener combined with the pull tab can top created a very interesting effect.

All 'n all the opener worked well on my TT.  I still feel Vic has the best opener next to the ol' school P-38

:oops: WRONG P-38

There, THAT'S BETTER. :whistle:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:05:09 AM by Douglas »
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #336 on: February 13, 2019, 05:12:04 AM
Day 12
Just "Rocking out" ...or is that out on a rock?
:facepalm:
Cool pic, Noa! :like:

Didn't use a thing on it today.
(Image removed from quote.)

Even the ToughTool needs some rest. :tu:

Impressive G-Man and GJ serious work there guys.  Allways liked Roc'n Out Noa, and love that sheath cody.
I finally decided it was time I gave the can opener a try on my TT
With out the stong back spring of a Vic or lock of other MT's it took a little adjusting but that was easy enough.
Then as the process was under way it seamed to be the "cleanest cut of ANY can opener i have ever used.
As I finnised up I came to realize that the TT can opener combined with the pull tab can top created a very interesting effect.
All 'n all the opener worked well on my TT.  I still feel Vic has the best opener next to the ol' school P-38
 :oops: WRONG P-38
There, THAT'S BETTER. :whistle:
Very cool, Douglas! :salute:

Thabks for taking the time to try the more common US TT can opener. I had a feeling, by the shape and sharpness, it would perform well right-handed. :)
That is quite a nice cut. It is a shame Schrade never made a full locking ToughTool.  :(

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #337 on: February 13, 2019, 09:17:10 AM

Very interesting indeed. :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #338 on: February 13, 2019, 12:08:43 PM
Another great day of pics and uses :cheers: Glad to see one of the can openers actually worked :whistle: :D :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #339 on: February 13, 2019, 12:38:17 PM
I love the clean cut on the tin with the can opener  :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #340 on: February 13, 2019, 03:13:06 PM
Nice work everyone  :cheers:

Finally a TT can opener that works cleanly, part of me wants to sharpen mine but I always have a SAK on board  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #341 on: February 13, 2019, 03:44:09 PM
This thread is a bit interesting in how a general misconception, based on the first production version and the latest Taylor China version's can openers not performing well at all, caused many to think the ToughTool can openers don't work in general. While the truth is that, aside from the earliest version(quite uncommon) and Chinese Taylor version, the majority of ToughTools have a very good can opener. :dunno:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #342 on: February 13, 2019, 05:20:31 PM
This thread is a bit interesting in how a general misconception, based on the first production version and the latest Taylor China version's can openers not performing well at all, caused many to think the ToughTool can openers don't work in general. While the truth is that, aside from the earliest version(quite uncommon) and Chinese Taylor version, the majority of ToughTools have a very good can opener. :dunno:

I think you're right on point, it's not that mine didn't work, it just wasn't a clean opening caused by what really looked like an unfinished blank, and I should add that it's a type of opener I don't care for, same goes for the Vic combo tool  :dunno:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #343 on: February 13, 2019, 05:24:35 PM
Day 13

Nasty weather here today, but I still received a load of mail, at least it gave the TT something to do  :tu:

20190207_094607-1.jpg
* 20190207_094607-1.jpg (Filesize: 178.66 KB)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #344 on: February 13, 2019, 05:31:36 PM
Great pics again today nice one  :tu: :like:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #345 on: February 13, 2019, 05:36:06 PM
 :cheers:

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #346 on: February 14, 2019, 02:41:13 AM
Day 13
Had to do a bit of surgery on a dog toy to cut away a dammaged section and re-tie whats left into a "tail".
20190211_193053-1.jpg
* 20190211_193053-1.jpg (Filesize: 304.98 KB)
20190211_193407-1.jpg
* 20190211_193407-1.jpg (Filesize: 232.78 KB)
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline cody6268

Reply #347 on: February 14, 2019, 03:23:32 AM
Did some cutting with the blade, including opening a secondhand SwissChamp. It's in decent shape, but the saw is bent, which means off to Connecticut ASAP.   Oh well, bent saws are a common problem; and I have actually bent saws on two different SAKs that will be sent off with the Champ.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #348 on: February 14, 2019, 03:27:58 AM

I think you're right on point, it's not that mine didn't work, it just wasn't a clean opening caused by what really looked like an unfinished blank, and I should add that it's a type of opener I don't care for, same goes for the Vic combo tool  :dunno:
Perhaps this thread will help venerate the US ToughTool can opener. I still beed to try mine out to see if I can duplicate Douglas' results, but since I have personally held that TT he has, I know the one I'm using have the same can opener. Those ToughTools are a bear to clean and maintain. So you get real familiar with them during a spa treatment.  :ahhh

I wonder if you'd have better luck using a metal file to make a chisel grind on your can opener to get it performing with the later US versions? Same goes for the Taylor version, granted it doesn't completely fail like the issue Noa experienced. :ahhh

Day 13

Nasty weather here today, but I still received a load of mail, at least it gave the TT something to do  :tu:
The TT blade was made for mail! :like:

Great pics again today nice one  :tu: :like:
Thanks, W! :cheers:

Day 13
Had to do a bit of surgery on a dog toy to cut away a dammaged section and re-tie whats left into a "tail".
Good work, Noa! I'm sure your pup will appreciate the work! :like:

Did some cutting with the blade, including opening a secondhand SwissChamp. It's in decent shape, but the saw is bent, which means off to Connecticut ASAP.   Oh well, bent saws are a common problem; and I have actually bent saws on two different SAKs that will be sent off with the Champ.

Very cool! I hope the SAK saw can be fixed. I've had some luck in the past with bending SAK saws, but I don't know if I'd trust a saw after it has been malformed and straightened.  :ahhh

Congrats on the Champ. One of my favorite SAKs. :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #349 on: February 14, 2019, 03:34:41 AM
I'm posting these pics, because I dropped the ToughTool after taking the photo. The TT is fine, aside from some concrete scratches, but I didn't take anymore photos afterwards. :ahhh

And a photo of package opening earlier today. Douglas may appreciate this addition to the collection. :D
SwissTool RS.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:03:38 AM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #350 on: February 14, 2019, 03:35:30 AM

I just know that the Chinese version is pooish :D I never use a can opener anyways so I would have never known ;) Not knocking the tool just :pok: you guys a bit :D

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #351 on: February 14, 2019, 04:16:38 AM
Several months ago I was given this seven amp telecomunications ceramic fuse. 

It has been good for helping mantain an edge in the field as it's small enough to pocket.  one problen needed a solution though.  Being as short as it is it needed a handle, but a handle that kept it pocket compatable.  Last week I had to go and back up one of our tech's on location.  aFound a part of the issue to be in the unit's small conveyor belt assembly specificaly the tracking roller.

Just so happened I had both the fuse and roller setting side by side on the desk when I realized the roller was already tapped and that the threading on the fuse matched the tap like they were made for each other. So now to todays photos and how the two become one.
 :oops:
No Photo of dilling out the cylender.
Day 13
Checking the fit.

Beveling the inside of new handle.

Filing down the excess threading.

Perfect fit, exactly what I wanted

Forgot to snap a pick of using the hack saw to cut the threading off one end.
Filed and finished the end.

Final Product

"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #352 on: February 14, 2019, 04:26:07 AM
Super nice work, Douglas! :like: :drool: :o

Great post too. It have been skeptical of the TT blade steel until I saw where you beveled the tube. Good to know the edge managed it. :multi:

How did the hacksaw(file's third edge) work? Did the curve in it cause any cutting issues?

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #353 on: February 14, 2019, 04:27:13 AM
And a photo of package opening earlier today. Douglas may appreciate this addition to the collection. :D
SwissTool RS.
  :cheers: You're spot on with that G-Man.
The '98 RS was my first SwissTool, the only one I have ever managed to break (broke the bottle opener using it to pry off a stainless panel on a Baxter OV 210 bakery oven), and now my Wife has it.  I realy need to build up my collection I only have 2 actual SwissTools.  :ahhh  One X that I EDC when not in a challenge and an Aussi Nato BO.
Is that surprise I sense ther G-Man? :pok: :pok:
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #354 on: February 14, 2019, 04:30:52 AM
The only thing that would have made the hack saw file work better is if it locked.  I must say I have been surprisingly pleased AND impressed by the performance of MY USA TT.

Oh thanks for that too G-Man. :cheers:
Dr.  McCoy

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #355 on: February 14, 2019, 04:39:01 AM
I am surprised! :woohoo: I have as many non-Spirit SwissTools as Douglas. :D

Australian Nato BO SwissTool? :o
Just looked up some photos. That is a sweet tool. I will be on the lookout for one of those in the future.  :)

Ironically, doesn't the Australian military issue Taylor ToughTools now? :ahhh :think: :whistle: :ahhh

The only thing that would have made the hack saw file work better is if it locked.  I must say I have been surprisingly pleased AND impressed by the performance of MY USA TT.

Oh thanks for that too G-Man. :cheers:
Thanks, Douglas!
I've been a bit shocked at how usable the TT has been as well.
I think the plier head is made of laminated kryptonite or something, because I've done some stuff that I knew would leave teeth dented with it and nothing happened.  :dunno:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #356 on: February 14, 2019, 06:58:25 AM
Ironically, doesn't the Australian military issue Taylor ToughTools now? :ahhh :think: :whistle: :ahhh

Unfortunately yes, the Oz armed forces get the Taylor "Weak"tool these days (thanks for nothing, bean counters)   >:(
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #357 on: February 14, 2019, 07:44:26 AM
If it weren't such a possible liability, for the soldiers it would funny. :facepalm:

Thanks for the confirmation, Greg! :salute:

Edit: Does Taylor even bother building them to any reasonable level? Or is literally the same $18 black-painted Taylor version I bought on eBay?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:46:28 AM by gerleatherberman »

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #358 on: February 14, 2019, 02:15:20 PM
Several months ago I was given this seven amp telecomunications ceramic fuse. 
It has been good for helping mantain an edge in the field as it's small enough to pocket.  one problen needed a solution though.  Being as short as it is it needed a handle, but a handle that kept it pocket compatable.  Last week I had to go and back up one of our tech's on location.  aFound a part of the issue to be in the unit's small conveyor belt assembly specificaly the tracking roller.
Just so happened I had both the fuse and roller setting side by side on the desk when I realized the roller was already tapped and that the threading on the fuse matched the tap like they were made for each other. So now to todays photos and how the two become one.
No Photo of dilling out the cylender.
Day 13
Checking the fit.
Beveling the inside of new handle.
Filing down the excess threading.
Perfect fit, exactly what I wanted
Forgot to snap a pick of using the hack saw to cut the threading off one end.
Filed and finished the end.
Final Product

That's awesome Douglas  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #359 on: February 14, 2019, 02:16:33 PM
 :iagree: Nice work Douglas  :tu: :like:

Donations