Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ya Gotta be...Tough Tool Schrade - February Challenge

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: Ya Gotta be...Tough Tool Schrade - February Challenge
Reply #630 on: March 01, 2019, 08:25:13 PM
Great uses GLBM  :like: :tu:
How did the cutters do with cutting that stranded steel wire :think:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #631 on: March 01, 2019, 08:26:38 PM
Great uses GLBM  :like: :tu:
How did the cutters do with cutting that stranded steel wire :think:
Thank you, W! :cheers:

Cut through it like it was butter. And you're right, most cutters would be crying at that point.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #632 on: March 01, 2019, 08:30:20 PM
Thank you, W! :cheers:

Cut through it like it was butter. And you're right, most cutters would be crying at that point.  :ahhh

That wire can be a real pain to cut through  :ahhh
Nice that the cutters did the job  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #633 on: March 01, 2019, 08:52:44 PM
 :like:
The wire cutters are quite good  :tu:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #634 on: March 01, 2019, 08:54:59 PM
Day 29

The TT was more than enough to replace a worn outlet  :tu:

20190301_154103-1.jpg
* 20190301_154103-1.jpg (Filesize: 121.34 KB)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #635 on: March 01, 2019, 09:06:35 PM
Nice one GJ  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #636 on: March 01, 2019, 09:11:11 PM
 :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #637 on: March 01, 2019, 10:24:18 PM
Thanks, guys! :cheers:

And good work, Greg! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #638 on: March 02, 2019, 02:44:06 AM
Impressive G-Man to see the TT cut that stranded steel wire so well when it has such trouble with insulated electrical wire. GJ  the pliars and drivers are well suited to changing outlets like that.
Day 29
Hanging out in an HVAC package unit.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #639 on: March 02, 2019, 02:49:36 AM
Douglas, I must admit, the cutters in the TT you have were repaired.

I thought they were fairly well restored. I moved them back closer together with a punch and cleaned them up with a wire wheel when I peened the pliers pivot and tool rivets. Guess I didn't do that good of a job. :facepalm:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #640 on: March 02, 2019, 03:15:32 AM
Some final thoughts...
First Thank You G-Man,  I would never have considered or tried a tough tool if not for your gift.
Now to the tool it's self.  I don't think any one would disput the TT is a very unique design with an aluring but awkward apearance.  due to this I was concerned about doing this challenge.  I sense have come to conclude the awkward part is mostly undeserved.  The TT is over all very easy to use and very capable.  A few tool positions do end up being strange (the can opener) but still are very usable.  I was very impressed by the scraper and even more so by the awl/ scribe tool. The tool steal is good, the pliar head just may be near indestructable and the phillips is one of the best I've used despite it's strange look and the file works well.  I will say the blade although adequit is just okay the ruler hook remove is difficult to open the small flat driver needs to lock and it needs scissors.  All in all the USA Tough Tool is a truely capable tool and well worth it's current selling price point. 
Thanks Again for a great tool G-Man and a great challenge everyone. :salute:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #641 on: March 02, 2019, 03:23:30 AM
Douglas, I must admit, the cutters in the TT you have were repaired.

I thought they were fairly well restored. I moved them back closer together with a punch and cleaned them up with a wire wheel when I peened the pliers pivot and tool rivets. Guess I didn't do that good of a job. :facepalm:
G-Man, they cut well.  One would never know they were restored.  The insulation on electrical THHN wire tends to slip out of the jaws  Once you get past the outer insulation tend to slip and they have a very small bight so if the wire is of any size you mst nibble through it.
Dr.  McCoy

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #642 on: March 02, 2019, 03:34:12 AM
You're very welcome, sir! :cheers:

Great synopsis, Douglas!  :iagree:
Well written as always, my friend. :)

There are a couple of things I had an issue with are; the file not locking, so having to hold it with push/pull strokes lessened the usable space(but, like Douglas said, the file is good otherwise), the rivet system loosens more quickly than it should(I have had to peen every TT tool/mount pivot that had crossed my path), The bulbous pliers pivot lessens the side-on purchase(but, not too much, just notable), when swinging out the pliers the tools can fly open sometimes(you have to be careful to swing it just right), the small flat-driver seems to be ground to thin(sometimes twisting a bit, so I have to be careful), there isn't a mid-size(between the large and small flat drivers), the cutters need a notch somewhere for grabbing wire so it doesn't slip, and lastly I would have liked to see more of the tools lock.

All of that said, the USA ToughTool is a standout, because of it unique design and thoughtful engineering. Considering it was designed in the hayday of patent issues, being limited in design options, it functions well above average for a multi tool. The pliers are absolutely phenomenal, with the steel quality and laminated jaws being near-perfect. Using the pliers is a delight, as the splay is minimal and the handle shape provides two different options for usability(choke up for fine work and use further back for cranking down). The handles flex a little bit, but after using the tool a bit, you just know they aren't going to give in at all. The tool steel, as Douglas said, is good. None of the tools broke under hard use. The small flat driver did twist a little, but that can be ground down a bit and sharpened. The file's single-cut side got a little bit of damage from sharpening a drill-bit(not smart, but the situation provided no alternative).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:43:04 AM by gerleatherberman »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #643 on: March 02, 2019, 03:36:50 AM
G-Man, they cut well.  One would never know they were restored.  The insulation on electrical THHN wire tends to slip out of the jaws  Once you get past the outer insulation tend to slip and they have a very small bight so if the wire is of any size you mst nibble through it.

Whew, that's a relief.  :)

Indeed, the cutters could do with some notching. I constantly had to push the insulated wire(18-2 lamp wire in my case) up into the cutters.  :rofl:
Come to think of it, I may do a mod on a TT, where I angle the cutter teeth back so they don't push the wire out.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #644 on: March 02, 2019, 03:53:51 AM
You're very welcome, sir! :cheers:

Great synopsis, Douglas!  :iagree:
Well written as always, my friend. :)

There are a couple of things I had an issue with are; the file not locking, so having to hold it with push/pull strokes lessened the usable space(but, like Douglas said, the file is good otherwise), the rivet system loosens more quickly than it should(I have had to peen every TT tool/mount pivot that had crossed my path), The bulbous pliers pivot lessens the side-on purchase(but, not too much, just notable), when swinging out the pliers the tools can fly open sometimes(you have to be careful to swing it just right), the small flat-driver seems to be ground to thin(sometimes twisting a bit, so I have to be careful), there isn't a mid-size(between the large and small flat drivers), the cutters need a notch somewhere for grabbing wire so it doesn't slip, and lastly I would have liked to see more of the tools lock.

All of that said, the USA ToughTool is a standout, because of it unique design and thoughtful engineering. Considering it was designed in the hayday of patent issues, being limited in design options, it functions well above average for a multi tool. The pliers are absolutely phenomenal, with the steel quality and laminated jaws being near-perfect. Using the pliers is a delight, as the splay is minimal and the handle shape provides two different options for usability(choke up for fine work and use further back for cranking down). The handles flex a little bit, but after using the tool a bit, you just know they aren't going to give in at all. The tool steel, as Douglas said, is good. None of the tools broke under hard use. The small flat driver did twist a little, but that can be ground down a bit and sharpened. The file's single-cut side got a little bit of damage from sharpening a drill-bit(not smart, but the situation provided no alternative).
+1 and :iagree: with everthing you said.
Thanks for catching what I left out.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #645 on: March 02, 2019, 03:59:22 AM
The 106OT was all I actually carried, with the Tough Tool being close by. I actually used every blade on the 106OT (clip and pen cutting apples and peeling oranges, cut my fingernails with the scissors), but the TT wasn't used.   The 106OT is smaller than my typical 3" or larger limit, but the increased girth due to the scissor layer makes it a lot easier to hold and use.

Also, is my example the only one on which the pin serving as the pliers pivot spins around? Guessing it needs to be re-peened; but doesn't seem to mess up the function of the pliers or cutters at all.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #646 on: March 02, 2019, 04:03:40 AM
Glad you mentioned that, Cody!
The latest TT I bought, which is a near-mint example of the last US generation(with cast pliers made to look laminated) and the pliers pivot will turn in the jaws. It doesn't hurt the function, as you said, but it is probably one of the only pliers-MTs out there there that the spinning pivot doesn't mean big problems for the pliers. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #647 on: March 02, 2019, 04:07:00 AM
+1 and :iagree: with everthing you said.
Thanks for catching what I left out.

This has been a standout challenge for sure(up there with the OG SwissTool and Surge challenges). And it has been awesome participating with you! Thank you for getting the ball rolling on the TT challenge and your encouragement. I wasn't planning on the full 30, but you're enthusiasm helped me get over that. :cheers:

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #648 on: March 02, 2019, 04:55:51 AM
Yes that oven was a Middleby Marshall

Day29
Nothing much going on today it's a busy day but nothing for my tools to do... so we get more cardboard cutting
20190301_171533-1.jpg
* 20190301_171533-1.jpg (Filesize: 105 KB)
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #649 on: March 02, 2019, 05:04:39 AM
That's too cool Noa.  I've been working on their ovens for the better part of 15 years now and trained 6 other techs to do so.  I have even had the pleasure of finding some problems and fixes Middleby didn't know about.  I've even stumpped their lead Support Tech a couple of times.  Not often though he's great, probably the best I've ever had the pleasure of working with and I've worked with a bunch of support techs over the years.  He's a great guy that I would love to meet in person.  It's just a long way from Texas to Illinois.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #650 on: March 02, 2019, 05:49:46 AM
Great thoughts guys :like: I have really enjoyed this challenge and am very excited to have a TT on the way in the next while :ahhh :like: :like: I had forgot that I do have a Tough Chip by Schrade (scissor based keychain tool) :tu: I may carry the duo together some :cheers: It is the Taylor brand version though ::) :D

:nanadance:           :nanadance:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #651 on: March 02, 2019, 06:22:03 AM
It was great having you with us, Poncho! :cheers:

I'm very happy the ToughTools are destined for good homes. I have a real appreciation for the TT, even before the challenge. That's why I have so many of them. I've culled out the TT collection a bit and figured you and Noa would enjoy some US ToughTools.   :woohoo:

The two opened TTs are the ones being sent out.  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #652 on: March 02, 2019, 06:24:55 AM
Now, all that is left is, to find a US TT for Wspeed. I'll be on the lookout in eBay for one. :)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #653 on: March 02, 2019, 12:45:56 PM
I have really enjoyed this challenge the TT
has done a lot better than I was expecting  :tu:
It’s just a shame that the later TTs aren’t made
with the same quality as the US version  :(

Thanks for trying to find me a US TT GLBM
I think it would be a great Tool for me to use  :cheers:

Congratulations everyone with finishing this excellent challenge  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #654 on: March 02, 2019, 02:48:47 PM
It's been great having you with us in the TT challenge, W! :)

Will definitely be on the lookout for an OG ToughTool to give some royal treatment to send your way. :)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #655 on: March 02, 2019, 03:14:40 PM
Thanks you very much GLBM  :cheers: :like:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #656 on: March 02, 2019, 05:37:44 PM
First,  Thank you GLBM and Douglas for starting this challenge and Noa and Cody for joining, I've enjoyed every post and looked forward to what was done each day   :tu:

Second, Thank you Speedy, Poncho, and SteveC and anyone else who commented or quietly followed along  :cheers:

Now my thoughts, as a long time owner/user, I've always been a fan, when I originally decided I wanted a multitool back in the mid 90's outdoor magazines were my only source for research and the TT was getting lots of hype as what's new.
So with no prior experience with multis, I purchased mine and it's still my only experience with multis other than Saks.
Admittedly, I've always paired it with a Recruit so I rarely used the tools other than the pliers and the pliers are awesome, but again I can only speak for the first generation U.S. made version, but from what I've seen and heard here the later U.S. models are good too, I think Cody mentioned his Taylor had issues with the pliers, I apologize if I'm wrong.
During the challenge, I laid off the SAK and stuck with the TT toolset, it was the first time using the can opener and mine was terrible, the rest performed above and beyond, but I do think the blade is rather light duty, on the upside though mine has a monster of a serrated blade, too bad none of you have one.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but like I've said I'm a big fan and after 23 years the TT will remain my only plier based multitool, it's only competition my newly discovered Swisschamp which I guess has pliers

:multi:  :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #657 on: March 02, 2019, 05:52:20 PM
Day 30

The main blade got to open a package of shower curtain hooks, and the quirky yet awlsome scribe/awl was used to open a case of water  :tu:

20190202_113750-1.jpg
* 20190202_113750-1.jpg (Filesize: 103.29 KB)
20190302_124220-1-1.jpg
* 20190302_124220-1-1.jpg (Filesize: 185.24 KB)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #658 on: March 02, 2019, 06:06:42 PM
Nice use of the TT GJ :like: :tu:
Thanks for your thoughts on the TT :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #659 on: March 02, 2019, 06:13:22 PM
Nice use of the TT GJ :like: :tu: