Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Modder's Reference guide

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Leatherman Modder's Reference guide
on: January 31, 2019, 09:21:24 PM
I've seen a lot of different tool layouts in pictures from modded tools. But when I went to do it myself I found very little information about the exact configurations and how to do them myself. I still had questions like...how many spacers, in what order, mods to individual tools needed, Mods to frame, etc.

I thought it might be worth taking some pictures of confirmed tool layouts and give some in depth descriptions on each. So that others can have very detailed descriptions of how to do them. I want to try and keep this as updated as possible.

Here are two for your consideration. More to be added as I find them.

Tool layout: scissors, wave spacer, flat driver (shortened), rebar awl.

Tool layout: 2D driver, wave spacers (3x), rebar small flat driver

The 3x spacers on the bottom one, was not obvious. I think this is good info if someone wants to do this in the future.

Cheers,
HG

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:24:30 PM by Happy Gilmore »

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Modder's Reference guide
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:23:10 PM
Reserved for links etc.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:03:24 AM
Thanks for the pics and the order of the tools and how many washers :cheers:

That should help someome in the future for sure :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 01:02:28 AM
Thanks for the pics and the order of the tools and how many washers :cheers:

That should help someome in the future for sure :tu:

I didn't have time today but I want to take my wave apart and do some other configurations to get some exact setups.

Is there a way to link to a specific post? I'l like to put links in first 2 posts so that its kind of like a table of contents. Could also link to other threads in the Mod squad that have relevant info, there are a lot of them, and they are hard to find.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:06:25 AM by Happy Gilmore »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 03:01:12 AM
You won't be able to edit the post after a certain amount of time :-\ You might ask a moderator if they will though :salute: :D

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 08:13:39 AM
This is a good idea HG.  :like:

I had to start with fresh data when modding my first Rebar. In addition to your reference shots of the tools in the frame, I think it would be great to see a top and side profile image of each tool removed from the frame, giving some key dimensions. This should be in a table showing which model it’s from. Leatherman tries to reuse tools across different models, and this is not always obvious. Half the challenge of modding (for me at least) is sourcing LM tools for the build. Almost like you would catalog your workshop tools in a storage draw, it would be nice to catalogue the individual tools per Leatherman. This will also help with identification as different variations could be listed, eg the different blade and driver shapes LM released for the PST over its lifetime.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 05:10:37 PM
most recent test:

Rebar saw, Rebar spacer, wave spacer, shortened flat driver, wave spacer x2, Rebar Awl.

This is a good idea HG.  :like:

I had to start with fresh data when modding my first Rebar. In addition to your reference shots of the tools in the frame, I think it would be great to see a top and side profile image of each tool removed from the frame, giving some key dimensions. This should be in a table showing which model it’s from. Leatherman tries to reuse tools across different models, and this is not always obvious. Half the challenge of modding (for me at least) is sourcing LM tools for the build. Almost like you would catalog your workshop tools in a storage draw, it would be nice to catalogue the individual tools per Leatherman. This will also help with identification as different variations could be listed, eg the different blade and driver shapes LM released for the PST over its lifetime.

Holy molly, those ideas are amazing...hmm.. I can update the first post with a google sheets link so that I can update it regularly. I can also share access to it for others to add as well. Thoughts?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10G2Wqntsk_XkwFmsmu-wllrGLVLlW7BS9B6te3LI7gY/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:25:11 PM by Happy Gilmore »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 05:24:07 PM
Thanks HG, I think this is something worth looking into. I can have a go at a template sheet to see if this could work. Give me a couple of days and I can populate with a couple of models to get the ball rolling.  :)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 05:26:43 PM
Thanks HG, I think this is something worth looking into. I can have a go at a template sheet to see if this could work. Give me a couple of days and I can populate with a couple of models to get the ball rolling.  :)

if you want to start one instead im gravy, just use google sheets plz. I don't have microsoft excel and I refuse to use it anymore :rant: .

I have some calipers and can start the measurements once I get a new battery for them.  :hatsoff:

what u think of the one above that I linked?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:28:50 PM by Happy Gilmore »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 05:34:15 PM
Oops missed your link. Very good, I think you have the template already  :like:

Maybe the dimensions columns should be two, first for length and next for width?

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 05:36:12 PM
...also need pivot hole size somewhere.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 05:44:24 PM
<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vS2Wq0y4vJh20etgW2blO5rqIrmtStTxS2-YbVGaNNwmwiECZYLxorR8EjpZQxwFR2QplTN664WWHN8/pubhtml?widget=true&amp;headers=false"></iframe>

testing the embedded sheet

anyone have an idea how to embed a spreadsheet in this forum? cant seem to get it to work.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:47:23 PM by Happy Gilmore »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 07:06:04 PM
Sheet’s looking good HG. Not sure about embedding. One of the moderators
May know.  :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 07:10:42 PM
I am afraid I don't have any idea how to embed a spreadsheet :dunno:

Will ask and see if any of the others know :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 09:33:53 PM
I am afraid I don't have any idea how to embed a spreadsheet :dunno:

Will ask and see if any of the others know :cheers:

Thanks, if I can embed the spreadsheet we can add the link to first post and that way as things are added, you don't have to necessarily dig through the thread to find it.

If we at least get accurate measurements for all the tools and components ppl can approximate if an arrangement is likely to work or not.

If add a hyperlink, how to I change the text of the hyperlink to a title? In other words I want to to say: "Multitool Reference Spread Sheet" , and if you click on the text it takes you to the spreadsheet.

PS: can I get a hackers badge plz?  :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: ::)

Cheers,
HG
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:45:50 PM by Happy Gilmore »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 03:12:52 AM
You mean like this :cheers:

Multitool Reference Spread Sheet

Also you have to go to the badge awards section and request badges with a link to the thread and or post that meets the requirements for the particular badge you are going for :salute:

Official Multitool.org Merit Badge Instruction Thread

;) :D

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 01:17:46 PM
Hello HG. So gave my PST a strip-down and took some reference shots of each tool, and also took basic dimensions. Will PM you the table so you can cut/paste the data to see if this can work for your sheet. The images are all zipped into about 2MB.

Here's a snap of the dimension table and thumbnails of the images:
PST II Table.JPG
* PST II Table.JPG (Filesize: 67.56 KB)
Thumbnails PST.JPG
* Thumbnails PST.JPG (Filesize: 62.6 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%