Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Tread Customised Links (alternate functionality)

Offline Hans Wabl

• New User
With regards to the Leatherman Tread, I am currently look to design alternate links, to improve or offer a different levels of functionality. Thus far developed a retractable knife/blade, in one interchangeable link, and a LED light in another. Looking for other ideas, suggestions or previous design work from others.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Tread Customised Links (alternate functionality)
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:31:11 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  Hans :cheers: would love to see some pics of those mods :like: and you can search here in the Leatherman Forum and in the Mod Squad Forum for Leatherman Tread and should see a few ideas but there hasn't been a whole lot that members have done to them :think: what has been done has been pretty interesting though  :tu: good luck with all you do to it and hope you find some good ideas :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 03:50:36 PM
 :iagree:  Welcome.  How about showing us what you've done so far?
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 05:44:02 PM
With regards to the Leatherman Tread, I am currently look to design alternate links, to improve or offer a different levels of functionality. Thus far developed a retractable knife/blade, in one interchangeable link, and a LED light in another. Looking for other ideas, suggestions or previous design work from others.

Way ahead of you. Have 2 treads and lots of ideas.

* Storage for sim card/ SD card.
* 4mm hex driver
* Compass
* Scalpel handle
* safety whistle
* Pill / water tablet holder
* Firesteel holder striker ( already modded this)
* Leatherman bit holder ( done this with proper sized silicon gaskets)
* Ceramic striker holder

Here is a video I made about it a few months ago where I went over some of these ideas.

https://youtu.be/wX7MGVl4j4U

I do design in Onshape, just have other projects ATM.

More ideas incoming.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:52:57 PM by Happy Gilmore »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 06:56:47 PM
Grant (Def) had an ongoing project with this  :whistle:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 11:32:05 PM
Grant (Def) had an ongoing project with this  :whistle:

I really think Leatherman missed the boat on this tool. It had the potential to be the Pandora bracelet of the mans world. But rather than selling a bare bones working product with expanding potential they sold 4 awesome links with a bunch of fluff attached to it and charged a ridiculous price.

Seriously.

Imagine a $99.99 version with a variety of $19.99 links you could choose to add...they would have made a killing.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 03:26:27 PM
Thats a great idea.  Basic model with a basic tools set and options for those who want to "customize".  LED, storage compartment like Syphs SAK drawer,  pen?, exacto blades, fidget gadget, etc etc.   The possibilities are there.  I'm guessing thats a lot of inventory and LM would be into this project way to much at that point  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 08:53:41 AM
Well , the only customization i did is the one with Neodim Magnets to hold the bits.
There was a guy who managed to install some flashlight and put some nylon for fishing on a link, yet it's not my style, as a City survivor.
I would wanted LMN to do some accessories to be added on top of the Tread link, like a light or a small field watch or some sort of case( like they used in the 80's in Miami :)  )
Regarding the fact that the lock gets open when using force or when you hit something real hard, i say it is a safety feature, flesh gives up way moore than metal does, so in that particular case, you want to be able to get your hand out of the metal bracelet. Whit apologizes , see how that pinky looks
rsz_img_20190205_073541.jpg
* rsz_img_20190205_073541.jpg (Filesize: 64.4 KB)
rsz_img_20190205_073549.jpg
* rsz_img_20190205_073549.jpg (Filesize: 80.3 KB)
rsz_img_20190205_073628.jpg
* rsz_img_20190205_073628.jpg (Filesize: 77.78 KB)
ring-2.jpg
* ring-2.jpg (Filesize: 90.16 KB)
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 03:17:52 PM
Whit apologizes , see how that pinky looks

Raoul, maybe you wanna put those two pics inside a spoiler and add a warning  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%