Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any carpenters in the house?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Any carpenters in the house?
on: January 09, 2019, 03:02:31 AM
The kid has decided to switch jobs and has been excepted in some cabinetry / handyman company, he’ll be the apprentice, He said they supply tools but I’m sure that’s just the big electrical tools and not the personal tools, I figured the must haves would be:
Tape measure,
Hammer,
Knife,
Multiscrewdiver,
Speed square,
Chalk line,
Level,
And a tool belt,

I have a tool belt, one that hasn’t ever been used, I got it on sale for a few bucks but it’s even got the shoulder straps, kinda don’t want to give it to him but like I said I’ve never used it and probably never will so it’s better to just give it up.

He won’t start till next week so I’m not 100% sure if and what he might need, if so any other tools you think he might need to start off?
Maybe a
Chisel,
Saw,
Plane,
Stick ruler,
Sanding block,

Thoughts?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Darrell85

Re: Any carpenters in the house?
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:02:33 AM
Some companies supply more than others obviously,  but i would also suggest a flat bar, carpenters pencil,  safety glasses, and a pocket notebook to take notes. Just like when I started in hvac installation,  get the basis to start and he will discover what works best for him as he goes along. Buying a new tool every check.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 04:29:54 AM
Mason here but that seems like a good list to start with :salute: He will figure out pretty quick if he needs anything else and sees what others have :tu: Hope he enjoys it and makes a good career out of it :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:30:52 AM
SteveC is a carpenter so he should be able to tell better than me :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 04:36:43 AM
Some companies supply more than others obviously,  but i would also suggest a flat bar, carpenters pencil,  safety glasses, and a pocket notebook to take notes. Just like when I started in hvac installation,  get the basis to start and he will discover what works best for him as he goes along. Buying a new tool every check.
I was thinking of a flat bar and notebook, obviously the pencil and safety glasses, not that he’ll ever use them.

I remember when I started in the union the one foreman told me you only need safety glasses, a tape measure, a marker, a calculator,  something else and a good notebook! You will be writing everything I say down! The next day he asked me to show my supply’s and said good job now write this down, he then transferred 1/16” - 15/16” into 0.0625 - 0.9375 all by memory! You will use this when measuring everything I tell you to do!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 04:40:16 AM
Darrell, how long have you been in hvac?
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 04:51:40 AM
Mason here but that seems like a good list to start with :salute: He will figure out pretty quick if he needs anything else and sees what others have :tu: Hope he enjoys it and makes a good career out of it :like:
A mason, huh. One of my first jobs was a Lowe’s built from the ground up, I got along with the masons boss, he was BUILT like a brick! Him and I and a few others parked our cars inside the building, I asked the painter what side he was doing and he said over there, well me and the mason parked on the other side, needless to say come lunch our vehicles were covered in paint! I ran over to the mason and he said it better not be, I just bought that truck last month! So I ran to the painter and he said oh don’t worry, then I ran to the mason and he didn’t like the answer, so he went to the painter got up in his face litterly pressing him against the wall asking about the paint, let’s not forget this guys like the hulk from block lifting, the painter went gulp, don’t worry it was dry by the time it hit your truck, it just needs to be cleaned at a car wash, here here, I’ll even pay for it, lol
JR

us Offline Darrell85

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 05:04:11 AM
JR
well.... My Dad has been in hvac since i was 3 and by the age of 8 i was bending s and drive cleats and sweeping the shop and have been doing it as a side gig off and on ever since. I decided to make the change from law enforcement to full time hvac 4 years ago yesterday. How long you been at it?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 05:57:54 AM
The kid has decided to switch jobs and has been excepted in some cabinetry / handyman company, he’ll be the apprentice, He said they supply tools but I’m sure that’s just the big electrical tools and not the personal tools, I figured the must haves would be:
Tape measure,
Hammer,
Knife,
Multiscrewdiver,
Speed square,
Chalk line,
Level,
And a tool belt,

I have a tool belt, one that hasn’t ever been used, I got it on sale for a few bucks but it’s even got the shoulder straps, kinda don’t want to give it to him but like I said I’ve never used it and probably never will so it’s better to just give it up.

He won’t start till next week so I’m not 100% sure if and what he might need, if so any other tools you think he might need to start off?
Maybe a
Chisel,
Saw,
Plane,
Stick ruler,
Sanding block,

Thoughts?
JR

I think your list has it covered for the basics. He'll probably know better what will be expected from him once he starts.  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 05:58:38 AM
JR
well.... My Dad has been in hvac since i was 3 and by the age of 8 i was bending s and drive cleats and sweeping the shop and have been doing it as a side gig off and on ever since. I decided to make the change from law enforcement to full time hvac 4 years ago yesterday. How long you been at it?
The high school I went to was a tech school, they had everything and I originally to take automotive, but during freshman year you had to take every class,
Automotive,
Carpentry,
Electrical,
Electronics,
Drafting,
Milling,
Nursing,
Hairdressing,
Photograph, and of course
Hvac/p
And when done taking every class, yes I had to wash someone’s hair and give a manicure, :whistle: but you chose what you wanted to take the rest of the year and the three to follow.. I actully received a seniors award when I was a junior for I don’t remember what but I mastered sheetmetal. after high school I took 2yrs at a tech college, after idk how many years I kinda joined the union in which I had to take more classes, so that didn’t last long, maybe a year, but we moved and I helped my father-in-law with his handyman services. He passed and I couldn’t take the stress and ended up working for Lowe’s as a plumbing speSmurfpillst, then medical took over, but I’d say I did it for over 15yrs.
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 06:07:04 AM
Tape measure,
Hammer,
Knife,
Multiscrewdiver,
Speed square,
Chalk line,
Level,
And a tool belt,

Maybe a
Chisel,
Saw,
Plane,
Stick ruler,
Sanding block,

Thoughts?
JR

I think your list has it covered for the basics. He'll probably know better what will be expected from him once he starts.  :tu:
Ok, thanks Steve!
I mean I have every one of those tools including saws all, chopsaw, and portable bandsaw, but he ain’t touching my tools, I mean I gave him some of my extras for a tool box when he got his car, but that’s all he’s getting!
JR

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 01:29:42 PM
I'm thinking a Wave or a Spirit would be good.  ;)

:MTO:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 01:54:21 PM
Well one kooky idea is to call and find out what he might need in advance?

This will show that he is eager to learn the right way and giving it some good consideration even before starting the work.

Will he be doing construction work or shop work first of all?

Then once he actually gets to work they should let him know exactly what he will need to provide and what they will provide the during first day I would think.

Depending on the type of shop he may need nothing but personal Hand Tools or he may need to have everything but not right from the start probably either.

There is really just no way to know until he starts so don't worry about it until then.

Also they are called Suspenders! :drink:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:23:13 PM by ezdog »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 02:20:48 PM
Tape measure,
Hammer,
Knife,
Multiscrewdiver,
Speed square,
Chalk line,
Level,
And a tool belt,

Maybe a
Chisel,
Saw,
Plane,
Stick ruler,
Sanding block,

Thoughts?
JR

:iagree:

Most important things are though - a good quality measuring tape (put his name on it!) and good normal HP pencils, not carpentry ones - although, they're good too, but ones you can stick behind your ear - you do not want to be without those two things EVER when working as a chippy. An eraser in the pocket is a good idea too to quickly hide mistakes

All the other things he'll pick up over time including toolbelts etc... He might end up preferring to wear an apron (Bucket Boss do some excellent ones) rather than a belt, depending on what he ends up doing.

Edit: Oh, and a small pad he can stick in his back pocket.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:23:53 PM by Fuzzbucket »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 02:37:48 PM
+1 for the ordinary pencils. Is he in a shop or on site?

Get a good quality belt - I still have my suede one from back then.
Trousers with decent knee pads would be something I'd have now save the smurfing my knees took  :D
Good tape measure (at least 7.5m long),
Decent hammer (Estwings are good but make sure he marks it as his!),
Set of chisels for hanging doors etc,
A jack saw will prolly cover all the jobs he'll do until he gets a chopsaw,
Square for cutting angles,
Spirit level (2m) and a box to put it all in.
Small block plane (really handy) and a Jack plane,
and an assortment of screwdrivers until he gets a battery drill.
Plus a flask for coffee/tea and he'll be all set.

:salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 05:25:57 PM
Ezdog  :salute:

JR,
I don't know how things work over there but as some others have said it might be better to wait until he has worked with the Guys there and see what they use  :tu:

The Guys on site are not expecting him to bring anything (unless told otherwise) on the first day

Some places you work tools get stolen all the time and others you can leave your stuff laying about  all day no probs,
so some places a locking tool box is the first thing you need (again the Guys will tell him first day)

And again every site is different but sandwiches and his own mug might be the best things to take the first day

1st day at work I was told by the Sparks I was working with,
These are my tools,
You are responsible for them!
Don't  lend them to anyone and if anyone asks send them to me!

Good luck to the Guy on his first day  :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 05:29:21 PM
First day a lunch and beverages will be essential.  Tool wise his boss would have told him what to bring in a likelihood.  He'll know soon enough what he'll need based on what he will be assigned to do.  Could be a lot of fetching first few days. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 05:45:17 PM
Idk, he said it’s cabinet making, but also installing, so both in shop and onsite, but then he also said there’s other jobs he’ll be doing, even welding?
He said tools will be supplied but I fig that would be larger tools, he also said he’d be learning or more or less just the “hey kid go get me this, now hold it up”! Either way onsite or shop I think he’s going to a good tape measure, pencil, and notepad first day!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 05:50:19 PM
Well one kooky idea is to call and find out what he might need in advance?

Also they are called Suspenders! :drink:
Yeah yeah, how about an over the shoulder tool belt holder :neener:
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 06:01:15 PM
So just a standard school pencil? Not a fat wider pencil? Either way I have a few, prob a couple hundred of the regular because of the other kids school supply’s. I guess in either case he’s going to need a knife or pencil sharpener, one of those fancy ones if the larger pencils..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 06:08:54 PM
Maybe to start off rather then giving him my belt he should get one of those very simple one sided ones, just has a few pockets and a belt “no suspenders” this way he can toss his tape measure, pencil,pencil sharpener, a knife, and a notebook, and he can keep it on him at all times, and makes it easy to toss in the car. Then if his tool supply grows then give him my larger tool belt, the one “with suspenders” :whistle:
JR

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 07:40:21 PM
So just a standard school pencil? Not a fat wider pencil? Either way I have a few, prob a couple hundred of the regular because of the other kids school supply’s. I guess in either case he’s going to need a knife or pencil sharpener, one of those fancy ones if the larger pencils..
JR

Do you know why carpenters pencils are flat?

These are what I use, they're good quality, look nice and you can see them through sawdust. I'm a bit superstitious mental about my pencils too - I like to use the same pencil per project... God have mercy on those who have tried to walk off with my pencils.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 08:29:52 PM
Idk, he said it’s cabinet making, but also installing, so both in shop and onsite, but then he also said there’s other jobs he’ll be doing, even welding?
He said tools will be supplied but I fig that would be larger tools, he also said he’d be learning or more or less just the “hey kid go get me this, now hold it up”! Either way onsite or shop I think he’s going to a good tape measure, pencil, and notepad first day!
JR

Sounds like an interesting job where he should learn loads  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 09:03:40 PM
JR

Do you know why carpenters pencils are flat?

These are what I use, they're good quality, look nice and you can see them through sawdust. I'm a bit superstitious mental about my pencils too - I like to use the same pencil per project... God have mercy on those who have tried to walk off with my pencils.
I’m going to guess so they don’t roll off easy? That and they’ll slip up the hat?
JR

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 09:12:29 PM
More than one reason why the carpenters pencil is flat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAsSOnU0jqk

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 09:13:08 PM
My most used tool in cabinetmaking (aside from the pencil) was a 6" precision ruler, not just for measuring material, but also for machine setup.  :salute:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 09:28:14 PM
Like I said we got plenty of school pencils, that’s just the wood ones and not mechanical, I thought we had more I think the little guy took a box
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 09:37:09 PM
I also have carpenter pencils but he ain’t getting my fancy ones on the top!
JR

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 10:35:48 PM

She must have sticky ears if she can hold a carpenters pencil successfully behind her ear?! Also, they're not always the same dimensions?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 11:38:17 PM

She must have sticky ears if she can hold a carpenters pencil successfully behind her ear?! Also, they're not always the same dimensions?
No cause if you look at that one pic I just posted before this you can see those three are, but the one above those three, the natural, is not square nor the same size.
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%