Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you cut food with your multitool blade?

Aloha · 64 · 1829

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Do you cut food with your multitool blade?
Reply #61 on: January 30, 2019, 08:14:15 AM
I have a couple MTs that are dedicated work tools - ain't nobody eating after knowing what those are used for.
The rest are fair game.
Choosing between knife and multi will often depend on who is around and using the more suitable blade type.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: January 31, 2019, 07:40:38 AM
when out and about, or at other people's houses, I often use my gear to cut food. :dunno:
Primarily it's the OHO folder I have on me because the blade is longer and easier to operate, and ergonomics are often better

(Image removed from quote.)

for snacks, small fruit or single cuts, a SAK or MT blade is often enough  :climber:

plus if I am eating at the street, bus stop or around people the SAK looks inofensive unlike a 4" folder

Nice ones, Peacent!

I often use a Buck knife for beef stew prep...

My Leatherman Rebar and Surge are used for anything from network wiring to household to working on the Jeep. Got battery acid all over the Rebar, and gasoline, too (not during same repair) and plenty of grease and oil on both.

So...no. No food prep with Leathermans unless I'm lost in the wilderness and need to peel an apple to survive.

Swiss Army knife has been in my pocket 30 years. Happy to use that on food. Or one of my Buck knives. Maybe even a Spyderco. But not my Leathermans, no.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:43:04 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: January 31, 2019, 03:45:08 PM
I am really trying to recall if I've used my plier based MT to cut food  :think:.  Here's my situation.  I have options so a MT just wouldn't be my first choice or second.  My MT much like zoidberg and ThundahBeagle tools, they are used for pretty everything a tool is used for, dirty things, gross things, toxic, etc, and a wipe of the blade wouldn't be sufficient enough.  The other thing is my file.  I use my file a lot and metal shavings have to be present within the tool  :dunno:.  I've scraped crud with the flat drivers and honestly I just dont think much about "cleaning" the tool.  I spray with WD40 and give the tool a wipe and thats pretty much it.  The other thing is I use "tool grade" lubricant on my tools not food grade.     

If I need or want to cut something I tend to have options available.  Its not that I wont use my MT its I don't have to.  I kinda figured most of you lot was tool heavy.    :whistle:     
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD