Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Breathing is important- need advice

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Breathing is important- need advice
on: January 16, 2019, 12:42:26 AM
Anyone out there got any experience or technical knowledge of respirators?

I am going to be working a job over the coming months which will have me in some hazardous environments- I can't go into too much detail but there was a certain amount of unknown chemicals involved in a fire, and I am going to be exposed to it.

I have been told by a friend of mine (an environmental scientist) to look for something that has a good fit (seal) with a minimum rating of P95, although that was while we were discussing dealing with a dust heavy environment.  I can't help but wonder if that would be sufficient to handle the crap I'm about to get into.

A canned air system would be ideal, but probably isn't in the cards, so other options would be appreciated.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Breathing is important- need advice
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 12:57:05 AM
Is there an employer in this situation?

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 01:25:27 AM
I found a lot of information which could be useful to you on this page : https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/resources/dust-masks-whats-the-difference.html

Seems to me like a full or half face mask with filters and cartridges would be a good investment (if not provided by employer) but I'm sure someone with experience using this type of equipment will chime in :)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 01:47:38 AM
We used the 3m full facepiece 6000s while working with all the resins for windmill blades, then it just a matter of the right cartridge filters to go with it.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53:20 AM
I use the 3M masks too they are certainly some of the best and most widely available too.

The one thing to keep in mind too is that you may need to practice and build your lungs up too,the more the filtration the harder it is to breath!
Also I hope you do not wear glasses,it is tough to keep them clear with a mask on.
At least is is for me?

I used 100 level filters last year when my basement stack pipe broke causing an extinction level poopy event in my house.

I am still dealing with it.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 10:04:19 AM
I do work with chemicals and as well as breathing is important so is the rest of the body, the skin is your biggest organ and a lot of times chemicals goes in through the skin to. It is hard to recommended the right PPE without knowing what chemicals. A nice clean shave and a full mask with the right filters are good and takes a lot but sometimes you need a fresh air mask with an over pressure and full on chemsuit with the right gloves. Some gear does a lot but not all.. So it really depends.. Do you know what chemical?

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 10:42:26 AM
You need to know what the chemicals are, as said.

There are some cartridges, like carbon, that filter most organic chemicals but there are also other more speSmurfpillsed cartridges, for specific chemicals.

You need to know what was burnt, to see what chemicals were released, and to see if they are still in the air, at concentrations that demand a protective mask.

The more protection you use the harder it becomes to move about. Try wearing a gas mask and full protective clothing, being practically sealed, and then try to go up stairs, whilst strugling to breath and sweating.

A mask with two cartridges will allow you to breathe more easily than a mask with just one, same cartridge.

Anything with a sealed air system will be heavy and limit the amount of time you can work.

See the ILO website for information on PPE

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 10:45:16 AM
The mask I use the most is the 3M-4279 because it gives enough protection for my work in Benzol vapour areas.  They are hard work to wear and they recommend taking a break from them every 30 mins.

3M - Organic Vapour, Inorganic and Acid Gas, Ammonia Respirator - 4000 Series Maintenance Free
Reusable Respirator, with integral filters designed for effective and comfortable protection - Organic vapours
(boiling point greater than 65 degrees C), Inorganic and Acid Gas, Ammonia Class 1 and P3 Particulate
Respirator, Gases/Vapours:10 x WEL or 1000ppm whichever is lower; Particulates: 20 x WEL
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:46:37 AM by Kev D »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 11:34:22 AM
I am a private contractor, so my employer is me.  :D

And, even if there was an employer, I prefer to do my own research and obtain my own equipment, as I hate shared/company/rental equipment that no one is specifically responsible for, especially when my well being is at stake.

As for knowing what chemicals... well, there was a fire and a variety of chemicals, and it is entirely possible there was a certain amount of changes to the original compounds from heat, fire and mixing, so who knows what was in there, and what it may be now.

I am thinking a full face mask would be ideal, although I hate the potential for fogging, something I am very familiar with from paintball and snorkeling.  My research shows me that the olive filters may be the best bet.

Luckily for me, I won't be in direct contact for extended periods.  Most of the time I am dealing with it I should be about 40-50 feet away with only occasional forays into potentially hazardous areas.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 11:39:10 AM
If you do go full face, get a pack of the screen protectors, (sort of like what you see racing drivers have on their visors) as it's much cheaper to replace than the full screen if some crap gets on it or you end up with a blurry spot you can't get rid of.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 11:54:29 AM
Good advice.  I hadn't thought of that.

Def

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 12:20:26 PM
I use a 3M Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) system for both welding and other unhealthy tasks. It is basically a battery powered air filter you wear on your back that supplies cleaned air to a helmet. You can put in filters suited for the use in question. The slight overpressured air help keeps unfitlered air away and provides for easy breathing. Battery life typically in the 6-10 hours range.

As for the helmets they come in various configurations; soft top, hard hat, with autodarkening weld screen or not, lightweight with wide visions, etc. Used just like that they provide about 2,5 times better protection than a normal gas mask. From there you can go further with a helmet that goes on to cover around your neck or add cover over your shoulders - used like that they are about 100 times more effective than a gas mask. (Well, limited by the actual filter).

If you go this route it is a good idea to get a system that has helmets available for both welding and normal use.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:23:47 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 12:40:01 PM
Those sounded like a great idea until I Googled them and saw $700 minimum...  :ahhh

Well worth it if this is something you do every day, but probably not so much for a short term contract.

Def

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 01:10:50 PM
Well worth it if this is something you do every day, but probably not so much for a short term contract.

Depends on the risk level I guess (short time with the wrong thing might be bad enough), and whether you might have use for it later too.

A normal gas mask is of course far less, and if good enough then it is good enough. New filters tend to be ok for breathing.

I got a bit zealous about wearing mine after getting some crazy hallucinutions when I tried to shortcut with just good ventilation one day. Some time later I saw big black spiders crawling all over the roof and walls..  :ahhh :ahhh (Why couldn't it have been anything cozy? So unfair!)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:11:54 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 03:44:36 PM
I use a 3M Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) system for both welding and other unhealthy tasks. It is basically a battery powered air filter you wear on your back that supplies cleaned air to a helmet. You can put in filters suited for the use in question. The slight overpressured air help keeps unfitlered air away and provides for easy breathing. Battery life typically in the 6-10 hours range.

As for the helmets they come in various configurations; soft top, hard hat, with autodarkening weld screen or not, lightweight with wide visions, etc. Used just like that they provide about 2,5 times better protection than a normal gas mask. From there you can go further with a helmet that goes on to cover around your neck or add cover over your shoulders - used like that they are about 100 times more effective than a gas mask. (Well, limited by the actual filter).

If you go this route it is a good idea to get a system that has helmets available for both welding and normal use.
I have used the same type helmet and mask frön Sundström and works great! You can also connect it to your personal gasmask and get the fan to blow air right in to it. Perfect when doing hard work and get sweaty. No more sweat in the eyes

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 04:59:06 PM
Hey Boss,  3M user here as well.  I believe I have a single N95 cartridge.  3Ms site has a great tool for determining your protection level based on hazard. 
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/safety-centers-of-expertise-us/respiratory-protection/respirator-selection/
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 07:10:36 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.  I think I am going to try and find a full face model as I am more concerned about my eyes than my life.  If I can breathe but am blind then I am screwed as I use my eyes almost every day.  If I die, well then lots of people get some cool new organs and a fresh lease on life, and who am I to deny them that?

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 07:13:00 PM
Nice big life insurance policy to go with the PPE  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 08:42:49 PM
Got three of those.  :D

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 08:58:47 PM
Who gets Grants' multitools after he poisons himself?

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 09:01:30 PM
More importantly, who gets all the bills for MTO?  :P

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 09:03:37 PM
Whoey?

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 12:05:36 AM
 :ahhh

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 11:45:42 AM
 :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%