Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old victorinox sak scissor's screw

Offline Maties

Old victorinox sak scissor's screw
on: January 30, 2019, 08:08:36 PM
Hello everyone. I'm begginning to collect saks and I found this forum recently. I have an issue with an old victorinox, and I just wanted to let you know, maybe someone finds a solution, or can give me some advice.

Some months ago I got a victorinox climber (with the old style 5 turns corckscrew, small clip point blade, and other features from vintage victorinox saks) as a present in a package from an ebay seller. It's a nice object from my point of view and in a quite good condition, but there are several issues that need to be fixed. Most of them are easy to solve, but there is one thing I don't know how to fix:

The scissors little screw is missing. Someone put anorher one, but it doesn't fit well, It seems the head of the original screw was smaller than the more recent ones.

What do you think, is there the possibility to get that  kind of screw anywhere? I haven't find any information on internet, and i don't think I can have functional scissors with a "modern kind" screw. Is there a solution to this issue?

I would be glad if I could fix this old victorinox.

Thanks in advance.

Enviat des del meu Mi A1 usant Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Old victorinox sak scissor's screw
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:48:12 PM
Hopefully, the original thread wasn't tapped for the newer size screws.  But might be possible that it was, while leaving the countersink for the head too small.

Pics would help show your issue. 

Unfortunately, I think with older pre-'77 knives, the best source of replacements are other (damaged) old knives. These are often dimpled or staked and can be difficult to remove. My typical solution is just to replace the whole scissor layer by taking the knife apart.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline Maties

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 12:59:06 AM
Hey, thanks for your response.
I know there are replacements of screw for sale, but I assume they are "new style", this is, bigger than I need.

If the solution is to replace the whole scissors, not a big deal for me, because I don't have the tools or the knowledge to do that.

I will attach some photos tomorrow when I have some time.

Good night!

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 01:02:48 AM
If there's already a screw in there with the proper threads, that can be removed and reinserted without major trouble, you can "easily" modify it to fit properly. Using a lathe you could turn the head down and shorten it to the proper size, then grind a flat into it with a dremel wheel for a screwdriver.
IF you lack a lathe, like I do  :( those same operations can be performed with a small file. It's tedious, but rewarding when it's over.
There's guys building AK-47s in mud-clay buildings over a campfire, we can make some really functional stuff with slightly better tools.
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

Offline Maties

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:16:53 AM
So, attending to what you are saying, I have two options for fixing my scissors:
1. Buy another old sak with that screw in its scissors an use that screw.
2. Modify a regular screw: make the head smaller with a file until it fits.

It won't be easy...
I think i will try second option some day.

I attach photo, I don't know if one can see the difference, but the hole of the right is smaller.

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 09:26:28 AM
So, attending to what you are saying, I have two options for fixing my scissors:
1. Buy another old sak with that screw in its scissors an use that screw.
2. Modify a regular screw: make the head smaller with a file until it fits.

It won't be easy...
I think i will try second option some day.

I attach photo, I don't know if one can see the difference, but the hole of the right is smaller. (Image removed from quote.)

Maties, send us a picture of the whole knife
this way, we can look on a similar knife what the original screw looks like and help you further.

Montblancs are black, swiss army knives are red.

Offline Maties

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:45:06 AM
Okay, some photos. I don't have nither a good light nor a good camera, but I hope you can make an idea.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD