Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paying a premium for 1095? 1196

Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,212
Re: Paying a premium for 1095?
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »
Here is a good video about the Lansky.  Knowing how to calculate the angles using this system can help keep the bevel more consistent. 

Show content

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 4,187 Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
The Lansky can be "improved" but it certainly has its quirks.  I only use it to set the bevel then use strops to keep the edge.  If damage does occur then back to the Lansky or Whet Stones if I feel they would be "easier".

I started sharpening freehand with a small pocket stone, then bought a 3 stone smiths tri hone. I used that for a very long time, actually still use it for kitchen knives. I tried ceramic V sticks but they seemed a bit slow if the knife was to dull, so went back to the tri hone. I've tried the Lansky once but it didn't work well on small traditional blades so went back to freehand.

When I got the first D2 blade I bought a KME diamond set, that has worked very well for me. In the years I've had that I added 320 aluminum oxide stones for steels like 1095 and 154CM, along with a couple home made strops. I use 600 Silicone carbide for D2. Then 600 diamond and 800 boron carbide for S30V, M390 and S90V.

Sharpening systems can get really fancy and expensive but a simple bench stone or V sticks can work for most people.
Sometimes you got to experiment to find what works for you.
No Life Club Posts: 3,257
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2019, 09:07:41 AM »

Cedric admits he is not a good sharpener but still publishes data. That's just wrong.

By all means, explain the logic of that statement to me.....  :think:
No Life Club Posts: 4,187 Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2019, 03:58:52 PM »

Cedric admits he is not a good sharpener but still publishes data. That's just wrong.

By all means, explain the logic of that statement to me.....  :think:

Some of the sharpening systems Cedric has used in his tests.
Work sharp - It's a powered belt system even with the same grit that's a different edge finish than a hand powered stone.

Lansky – Cedric “states it's the least precise because he didn't use an angle cube”  That's a change in edge finish and angles from his previous tests.

Tormek - Won't a round wheel finish an edge different than the previous systems? Now he's using a concave edge. Again angles and edge finish have changed.

KME - Cedric “said he will use it in conjunction with an angle system”  A switch to diamonds, so again a different edge finish and angle.

In the same video the above came from, Cedric stated he did not want to start using a cutting mat instead of wood, because it would affect his data.
Does he not understand that four very different sharpening systems, combined with various angles and finishes has affected his data.

Like I said Cedric has come up before on another knifey forum, the same comments about his methods being flawed were brought up.
If his methods vary wildly so will his results.

I'm not one of them but there are people who make buying decisions based in part on tests like his. If his tests are flawed that's a disservice to his fan base and the companies making the knives he his testing.

As a person I'm sure he's a nice guy, as a steel tester he's very flawed.
I will not comment further, last word is yours.
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »
While I enjoy the data points, the knife tests are not representative in how I will use a knife.  I don't open as many boxes or break down as many boxes as others.  I also don't cut endless amounts of rope.  Ok ok, I know these tests are to show a given ( starting sharpness ) to and end ( no longer cuts paper or shaves hair ) and the cardboard or rope is the path to get to the end.  I ust don't get too excited about them.  Interesting yes, conclusive for me, not so much.  I do appreciate all the efforts put forth and all the conversations they result in.  I like to watch M Christy but his technique is not something I could produce.  Holding the stones and getting the bevels so uniform plus the sharpness he obtains.     

I do enjoy the conversations that are a result of these and other knife people testing their knives.  We don't have to agree.  What works for one works and what works for another works, so there is no argument. 

Sharpening from one person to the next will differ.  The results from cutting the medium will differ since each person will hold the knife and apply pressure differently.  I keep it simple, my knife is sharp ( will shave hair ), when my knife begins to slow ( or stops cutting material I need cut ), my knife needs to be stropped.  After such experiences with different steels I have, I know what steel to bring when the day will require a lot of use.  I may be over simplifying this but it has worked for me.  So looking at cut test is fine but not conclusive for me since I'll be cutting a variety of materials over a work day.   

Take what you will, determine what you will, test, evaluate, and decide if a certain steel suits your needs.  The test for me don't need to be done in a vacuum and in the end I still wont pay a premium ( my high dollar threshold ) for 1095. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »
Pete is now referring to his testing as bro-science.

Steve gives his answer at the start of every video.

I'm surprised at all the nit-picks and the preference of no data and ignorance over admittedly less than perfect data......

I've learned so much watching these videos I can only be thankful.

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2019, 02:27:30 PM »
Pete is now referring to his testing as bro-science.

Steve gives his answer at the start of every video.

I'm surprised at all the nit-picks and the preference of no data and ignorance over admittedly less than perfect data......

I've learned so much watching these videos I can only be thankful.

Bro science, I like that.  I've not watched the other guy.  I appreciate the work done by all testers.  I sure am not going to do it so glad someone is.  Information gathered by any of these testers and I'll lump in reviewers are all fine.  I'll have to check out the other guy as I do like to hear a variety of thoughts on any topic. 

Lastly,  the information given in these type videos is similar to the chit chat we do on the forums.  I do have a question tho, is there anyone doing actual testing using methods that would be considered proper? 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2019, 08:31:34 AM »
  I do have a question tho, is there anyone doing actual testing using methods that would be considered proper?

Considering some of the findings by SS Steve why would they?

He joked about Spyderco sending a hitman after him, while at a guess Manly and Benchmade got a few sales out of his recent videos........

He's getting some blades tested for hardness, which should add some interesting information.

I appreciate the work done by all testers.  I sure am not going to do it so glad someone is.  Information gathered by any of these testers and I'll lump in reviewers are all fine.  I'll have to check out the other guy as I do like to hear a variety of thoughts on any topic. 

Exactly  :cheers:

The Michael Christy review of the Cruwear Para3 pushed me over the edge into buying it.  Thanks to Pete I know what to expect from Cruwear, thanks to Steve I know likely it's not HT'ed to maximum potential, but thanks to all of them I knew it was the one for me.
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2019, 03:05:31 PM »
So many wonderful factors when deciding which blade to buy.  Or one can simply buy several of each and test on their own  :D

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 2,339
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2019, 03:26:29 PM »
In my collection is a ton of steels, ranging from what I'd call worse than pot metal on bargain bin specials (which for some reason, I won't throw out), all the way up to super-high end like CPM-154 and VG-10. As well as specialty steels like H-1 that won't rust.  But most are rather "pedestrian", with most being carbon steel, and 420HC, 440A, and 440C stainless (and a couple nineties Bucks with 425M.  And those are the ones I typically carry and use the most. I prefer something that holds a good edge for a reasonable amount of time, but doesn't take hours upon ours and tons of specialty gear (diamond stones; sharpening rigs) to get a good edge on.   Most 1095 knives I have; when available, the SS and CV options were roughly equal. That being said, I wish Case would start making CV a bit more widespread.

This is one knife I will be paying extra to get carbon steel, though inflation included not that much more expensive.   Back in the 1990s, Camillus' One Hand Openers series was about $20-25 a knife, most coming in 420HC.   They made one for Moore Maker, which is still available from MM, called the Roper, based on the existing Medium Sierra.  It's about $40. It's a shame 1095 is not seen on that many one-hand opening knives, let alone lightweight offerings such as this.

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,458 Gone

dks cy

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2019, 03:41:20 PM »
Had a very quick look through the thread.

For people wanting decent low cost carbon steel fixed blades I would suggest a Mora or a Martiini one.

For those that want something big you can look into Ontario.

D2 sold by Queen is very nice, on slipjoints at least. It is also reasonably rust resistant.

GEC Bullnose is good for a lower cost introduction into premium Carbon steel knives (Look for O1).

Opinel or RR will also give you low cost  carbon steel knives.

I generally prefer SS.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $228.00
PayPal Fees: $14.06
Net Balance: $213.94
Below Goal: $86.06
Site Currency: USD
71%