Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Outdoor gadgets

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Outdoor gadgets
on: January 16, 2019, 04:55:55 PM
Some useful/interesting items to take while outdoors.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Outdoor gadgets
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:18:49 PM
I have the UCO matches and I really like them.  They actually do work as well as the video shows and I strongly recommend them to anyone/everyone.

The Gerber fixed bade is well documented, as are many Gerber fixed blades.  They make a darned good knife, especially for the price, even if they are occasionally orange and are endorsed by people that drink freshly squeezed poo juice.

I am always concerned about water filtration.  I don't know enough about it to really have an opinion, but that one seems at least as good as any others I have seen.  It does seem a bit large for a hiking trip, unless you want to fill and empty it every time you stop.  Personally I think I am more interested in one of the more portable solutions, like the Katadyn or MSR filters that screw on to a Nalgene bottle.

I like the idea of that water generator doodad.  I have been watching the development of a similar one called Lily that can also be used with wind power.  My concern with these is finding a stream that is deep enough and/or moving fast enough to generate a charge.  At least the Lily one doesn't have exposed blades, so it could theoretically sit on the bottom, unlike the one in the above video.

https://waterlilyturbine.com/

Of course, the Lily doesn't have a light, so I suppose you need to pick what options you prefer.  I have to wonder how much drag either of these put behind a kayak though.  They may not seem like much, but kayaks are extremely hydrodynamic, and unless they are tapered at the "front" (ie, where the tether clips on) they are just going to cause a lot of drag.  I have to wonder if you might be better off with a hand crank radio with a USB port, and/or a solar panel on the kayak for power?  I'd like to test a few of these things and see what they are actually like.

Personal locator beacons are a fantastic device and I think everyone should have one- at least everyone that spends any time away from civilization.  I don't know about that particular one- if you have to pay to register it, I doubt I will pay for one for my dog too.  This also seems like a good idea for children that are too young to have a cell phone, but are old enough to not be watched constantly.  Once they have a cell phone it is easy enough to track people with Google Maps and Location Sharing, which is something I have used a lot.  My parents get a kick out of seeing where I am as I go to a lot of different places for work, and I have used it to find Megan in a large department store.  I like the idea of a PLB for times when there is no cell signal, which, in a large area like Canada, with a very sparse population and a lot of rocks is an awful lot of places.

My parents, for example are with a company called Rogers, which has an excellent reputation for providing service in major centers.  Unfortunately my parents don't live in or near a major center, and for years they maintained a landline simply because there was no cell service at their house.  I remember having to drive into town (about ten miles) to check my messages each day!   :ahhh

Fortunately, it is much better nowadays....

I am with a company called Telus which is affiliated with another company called Bell, which for years has been the go-to company for first responders and government organizations, and so they have much better coverage in rural areas, but to be honest, there are still lots of times when I get absolutely no signal.  So much so that I have seriously considered an Iridium sat phone, but then I see the cost of those things and think I'd much rather just have a PLB- after all, I go to these remote places to get away from the people that would want to call me!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 12:44:01 AM
Cool video santos 8) Some very cool gadgets in that vid :like:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 05:32:59 PM
I see lots of videos about usinmg water purification tablets and bleach drops and whatnot to purify water but it never really convinces me. I thought about doing a test it some dirty water pool near home. In case things go sideways, I'm 5min away from an ambulance and a trip to the nearest hospital. If it works, I can then rely on that method for a real emergency situation.

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 06:25:55 PM
I see lots of videos about usinmg water purification tablets and bleach drops and whatnot to purify water but it never really convinces me. I thought about doing a test it some dirty water pool near home. In case things go sideways, I'm 5min away from an ambulance and a trip to the nearest hospital. If it works, I can then rely on that method for a real emergency situation.

Don't forget to document and share :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:45:18 PM
Yes, we need pics of the emergency room if that ends up as part of the story as well :whistle:

:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:49:30 PM
I had always thought about trying to find some kind of water purification meter of some sort.... but if you want to try the dysentery method, then by all means, have at it!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 12:17:03 PM
I had always thought about trying to find some kind of water purification meter of some sort.... but if you want to try the dysentery method, then by all means, have at it!  :D

Def

Hum... yeah, maybe I shouldn't do anything stupid...

Show content

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 12:20:05 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD