Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Benchmade Bugout 184

OCD Squad Leader Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,469
Benchmade Bugout
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »
So, the Bugout made a big splash and has turned out to be one of the most popular models from Benchmade.

The Bugout is small and lightweight with a really large blade for the small frame. The handle is really grippy, for me it is almost too aggressive. After cutting a stack of cardboard my soft office-worker hands hurt (the hand was slightly reddish, you can barely see it in the image). The new, shorter deep carry pocket clip is great. Most importantly, the blade is great, slightly too large for my taste (I'm with Ben, we need a Mini Bugout).

Emergency Kit: Ovo Sport, chocolate, cheese, crispbread and a coin
Re: Benchmade Bugout
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »
Bugout vs. Böker Plus FR Titan

These two knives are similar in many ways. Both have a slim, lightweight, slightly squarish frame, with quite a large blade for the framesize. They are also similar price wise. They basically weight the same (about 65g on my kitchen scale). With 8mm the FR is slightly thinner than the Bugout (10mm).

Clip: Both have a smaller deep carry pocket clip. The FR rides really low (which I like) and has recessed screws (which I like too).
Lock: Both lock up solid, but the Axis lock is king
Blade: Well, bladeshape and length is a matter of taste, I like them both. Prefer the shape and more subtle curve of the Bugout, but the length of the FR suits me better.  Not a steel expert, the Bugout has S30V steel, the FR has VG10. Both perform well.
Opening: Another matter of preference, I prefer the flipper. While taking the pictures I noticed a pretty bad scratch/dent on the Bugout thumbstud. No idea where I picked that up, but that seems to be pretty soft material.

Which one would I choose? For me its the Böker FR, axis lock VS blade-length is not an easy choice, but I have to go with the blade.

Hero Member Posts: 848
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »
I have been eying that Bugout for a while now and if I see one Tomorrow I might be powerless to resist it. :think:

Better stay far from the knife store on my B'Day? :drool:
No Life Club Posts: 4,082 Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
I have been eying that Bugout for a while now and if I see one Tomorrow I might be powerless to resist it. :think:

Guess what I'll post tomorrow just for you.  >:D
No Life Club Posts: 4,082 Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:01:23 PM »
I really like the Bugout it's so light you forget you have it and at the same time gives you a knife with a little more handle.
I didn't find the handles to gripy or aggressive, in fact a lot smoother than a mini grip I handled.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 10:22:13 PM »
I really like the Bugout it's so light you forget you have it and at the same time gives you a knife with a little more handle.
I didn't find the handles to gripy or aggressive, in fact a lot smoother than a mini grip I handled.
Strange, my Baby Blue Mini Grip is soft like Baby skin... my bugout feels like a rasp... though I have found a cure for it (it is possible that I have ordered CF scales just a few minutes ago).

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 10:23:24 PM »

I think the greatest thing about the Bugout is that despite its small size and low weight, it is not a compromise, it is a larger blade and a comfortable grip.

Hero Member Posts: 848
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 10:31:49 PM »
Strange, my Baby Blue Mini Grip is soft like Baby skin... my bugout feels like a rasp... though I have found a cure for it (it is possible that I have ordered CF scales just a few minutes ago).

The original Grips were hard plastic gator scales sort of where the newest ones are "Baby Skin" as you say.

Yuk!

I thought I wanted one of the newest ones until now? :ahhh
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 11:08:35 PM »

The original Grips were hard plastic gator scales sort of where the newest ones are "Baby Skin" as you say.

Yuk!

I thought I wanted one of the newest ones until now? :ahhh
That was of course an exaggeration (and a play on the color). The smoothest is the G10 version, which I still find grippy. The regular mini Grip is in the middle and I personally find the Bugout beyond comfortable rough. Also, the mini Grips have more shape, more thickness and more chimping (all in the right places), allowing for a very secure grip in many positions.

Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 50,088
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 01:00:08 AM »
Excellent write up and pics, Eth :tu: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: $237.00