Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MP 600 :(

Offline CamoBlaze

MP 600 :(
on: February 03, 2019, 05:34:09 AM
So recently, I sent my LM Surge out for repair after the tool loosened up (I used the pliers as a hammer—the reinforced part). I could have sworn I’d seen it labeled as hammer on the schematic. Anyway, while the pliers did not show any wear, the tools in the arms loosened up retention-wise.

While that has been out of commission for a couple weeks with LM, I decided I need a backup. From what, I’d read, the MP600 might be a cost effective way to get by. I knew it would be smaller, and maybe not quite as beefy, but I find myself disappointed overall with the feel. It feels poorly thought out and cheaply made.

In terms of poorly thought out:
1) The rulers are on the inside of the arms. Sure, they can be used if you hold something up to them, but it’s much harder to measure something on a surface due to their location.
2) Both the serrated and non-serrated blade are on the top arm when deployed. As short as they are this makes much of the blade unusable for cutting on flat surfaces. There will certainly be no chopping possible. IMO, these blades should deploy on the bottom arm. I understand this might mean the cutting  edge faces up in the arm, but it would make the blades much more usable IMO.
3) The lanyard ring. Why? Is this something people use on a multi-tool this size? I think an awl, set of smurfty scissors, bit driver, punch, or saw would all be more useful. Perhaps it was to save money.

Why it FEELS cheaply made:
1) SOOO much slop in pliers. They just don’t feel tight. The arms jiggle when the pliers are replied
2) PLASTIC slides to unlock tools. Why plastic on a $50 tool (thankfully I paid under $40)?
3) Lock allows tools to wobble up and down. I’d prefer a tough lock with maybe a positive “click” to ensure the tool has locked into place.
4) fold out tools toward the middle do NOT deploy easily. They scrape on the way out and are hard on the finger nail to deploy, even after oiling.

Now with all that said, I think I will keep it. It’s a tool I will worry less about damaging (cheaper) than my surge and I think it will be an okay backup should I forget my Surge or break it.

I would however like to improve on some of the above issues if at all possible. I don’t mean to bash as I know lots of people like this tool, it just doesn’t seem to compare in fit and finish to even Leatherman’s (even those in the same price range).

Any suggestions for mods or tricks to fix some of my “gripes”. First post, btw, sorry it’s a negative one, guess I was just disappointed and had a bit of buyer’s remorse after opening the package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:16:12 AM by CamoBlaze »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: MP 600 :(
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 06:13:34 AM
Well, the 2 tools belonged to different weight class and price range. But by no means I would say the mp600 is really inferior. Its just built for different purpose and may not suit your use. I love my 600. The pliers wobble does not bother me. Tool wise, I would say yeah it's a bummer for their shorter reach but that's a shortcoming because of the way the pliers deploy and stow, I can live with that. I do not have the play on the tools and find the lock up to be pretty good. Didn't have any issue with the plastic lock tabs either.. One of the best tool around imo. But this may just not suit your needs.  :salute:

Offline CamoBlaze

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 06:20:31 AM
Well, the 2 tools belonged to different weight class and price range. But by no means I would say the mp600 is really inferior. Its just built for different purpose and may not suit your use. I love my 600. The pliers wobble does not bother me. Tool wise, I would say yeah it's a bummer for their shorter reach but that's a shortcoming because of the way the pliers deploy and stow, I can live with that. I do not have the play on the tools and find the lock up to be pretty good. Didn't have any issue with the plastic lock tabs either.. One of the best tool around imo. But this may just not suit your needs.  :salute:

Perhaps it will grow on me, and perhaps you are correct. I thought about a Wave and probably would have been quite happy with it but could not justify the coin on a “backup”. So for the price, perhaps this IS the tool.

I’m starting to feel a bit better about it as I handle it more. I suppose we shall see...

Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 06:39:40 AM
There are many things you could do to customize a MP. There are many great modifications around and the parts are relatively cheap depending on your locale. Mine is just one of the many example that's around. Certainly no slouch and fits my working needs perfectly.  :cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 07:17:28 AM
I have to agree with Sam here. The MP600 is apples to oranges with the fold-out Leathermans. The Gerber design is setup to operate in the worst conditions without cleaning. This makes low tolerances a priority. I think you'll find the 600 to be a great backup and tough as smurf after some time. The 600 does need some creativity to operate as effectively as a Leatherman tool, but the design is very old. The mechanical system has been nearly unchanged since 1991, except for the tool locking system added in 1998 and pliers/handles designs. I carried an original Multi-Plier for over ten years, but now own 300 MTs from many companies and models. I still think I could manage just fine with the old Multi-Plier.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline CamoBlaze

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 07:19:41 AM
There are many things you could do to customize a MP. There are many great modifications around and the parts are relatively cheap depending on your locale. Mine is just one of the many example that's around. Certainly no slouch and fits my working needs perfectly.  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice looking tool! I like the bit driver addition! Might have to look into that... that’s the one thing I thought my Leatherman fell short on—the 2d driver just isn’t as convenient sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 10:46:39 AM

I LOVE this mod!  :drool:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 12:29:07 PM

Nice looking tool! I like the bit driver addition! Might have to look into that... that’s the one thing I thought my Leatherman fell short on—the 2d driver just isn’t as convenient sometimes.

It's really worth looking into modding the MP600 (and the 400 too) - that's where they come into their own. I have 3 bladeless 400's dotted around the place. They are mega tough and as mentioned before the tolerances are there for a reason.

And what about the flick? One hand access to the pliers is pretty good eh?

The only thing I dislike about the MP is the blade position - but it's the same for the early Leathermen too. Making a bladeless MP600 and carrying a separate blade is your answer.

The MP series are the AK47 of the MT world and stick around like cockroaches - learn to love yours  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline CamoBlaze

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 01:00:13 PM

It's really worth looking into modding the MP600 (and the 400 too) - that's where they come into their own. I have 3 bladeless 400's dotted around the place. They are mega tough and as mentioned before the tolerances are there for a reason.

The only thing I dislike about the MP is the blade position - but it's the same for the early Leathermen too. Making a bladeless MP600 and carrying a separate blade is your answer.

The MP series are the AK47 of the MT world and stick around like cockroaches - learn to love yours  :D

Yeah, I’ve been carrying it around in my Leatherman sheath while I wait for my surge to return. It DEFINITELY won’t replace that but it’s growing on me enough that I don’t hate it as a back up. Deploying the pliers is convenient for sure but I think that the convenience of the pliers makes that accessing the other tools a bit less convenient. In any case, I am finding use for it. I teach at a high school and we do some engineering type projects for physics where the kids build ballistas and rockets so between my use and theirs, it’s deployed pretty frequently. It’s doing alright as a stand in for sure. I may need to add an awl/scraper and a saw at some point to really get the best use out of it. I could totally remove the lanyard attachment without missing it and perhaps one of the flat heads.

Anyway it’s growing on me. Perhaps it IS like the AK but I’m more of an AR10 guy, hahaha

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 01:05:57 PM
The lanyard thing is a bust for sure  :D I removed the blade and can opener on mine and replaced them with a saw and file. Also the small flat driver can easily be sharpened into an awl.

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline CamoBlaze

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 01:06:50 PM

Yeah, I’ve been carrying it around in my Leatherman sheath while I wait for my surge to return. It DEFINITELY won’t replace that but it’s growing on me enough that I don’t hate it as a back up. Deploying the pliers is convenient for sure but I think that the convenience of the pliers makes that accessing the other tools a bit less convenient. In any case, I am finding use for it. I teach at a high school and we do some engineering type projects for physics where the kids build ballistas and rockets so between my use and theirs, it’s deployed pretty frequently. It’s doing alright as a stand in for sure. I may need to add an awl/scraper and a saw at some point to really get the best use out of it. I could totally remove the lanyard attachment without missing it and perhaps one of the flat heads.

Anyway it’s growing on me. Perhaps it IS like the AK but I’m more of an AR10 guy, hahaha

Offline CamoBlaze

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 01:08:39 PM
The lanyard thing is a bust for sure  :D I removed the blade and can opener on mine and replaced them with a saw and file. Also the small flat driver can easily be sharpened into an awl.
I’d considered that. Perhaps I’ll look into that.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD