Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free Series

wowaboro · 1511 · 74294

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Leatherman Free Series
Reply #1140 on: April 24, 2019, 05:46:42 PM
It's Tims company.... he can technically run it into the ground if he wishes. I gave credit for being innovative in a previous post - kudu's for cranking something new and different out I said.

Then I read a post yesterday about Die Cast pivots on the new skeletool and nearly crapped my pants. I remember paying $25 for a new in clam skeletool and thought that was high. Now they're $60 for the standard version and MSRP seems to have consumed the market. Charge top dollar but dammmmit deliver top quality while you're at it!  :twak:
SAW

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1141 on: April 24, 2019, 06:23:50 PM
I disagree, that is not how markets work.  Look at anything from computers, to cell phones to cars.  New features are introduced at premium prices, often times on product lines that are considered luxury items.  Then over time, as production costs are lowered and development costs are recouped, the new tech becomes more available at lower price points.  Forty years ago air conditioning was considered a luxury in cars.  Now I don't even know if you can buy a car in the US without it. 

If you don't want to buy it, that's fine, you likely aren't the target market for these tools. 

I'm honestly kind of surprised by some of the comments about how well the tool does its job.  If unqualified, those statements seem to imply that MT development could have stopped at the PST.  I realize that's not the intent, but there is nothing inherently wrong with incremental refinement that does not significantly impact a tool's basic function.  That is much more common in the development of new technology that sudden, great leaps in development.

I agree that new features are implemented in the premium lines of manufactureres for a high price. Then once they figure out how to produce it cheaper, it also comes to the standard line. That is my problem with the Free though. Imho the free series is not a premium line. For a premium line mt i expect bit holders, 3D Phillips, maybe a diamond file or something your other lines do not offer.

I don‘t see any of that in the free series and yet they want me to pay premium prices. I just cannot shed the feeling that they are trying to screw me, and that is a feeling a product should never invoke if you want to sell it.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #1142 on: April 24, 2019, 06:40:34 PM
I agree that new features are implemented in the premium lines of manufactureres for a high price. Then once they figure out how to produce it cheaper, it also comes to the standard line. That is my problem with the Free though. Imho the free series is not a premium line. For a premium line mt i expect bit holders, 3D Phillips, maybe a diamond file or something your other lines do not offer.

I don‘t see any of that in the free series and yet they want me to pay premium prices. I just cannot shed the feeling that they are trying to screw me, and that is a feeling a product should never invoke if you want to sell it.

I understand that the Free line and it’s new “features” may not be premium to everyone. It’s not to me either.

What I don’t get is how that translates to LM trying to screw you  :dunno:  They’re not forcing anyone to buy it.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1143 on: April 24, 2019, 07:50:01 PM
It is just the feeling i get looking at the tool and the advertising around it. I know that might not be rational, that's why i tried to describe it as a feeling.

The high price creates a certain expectation, and and least from what i have seen so far it does not live up to it.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #1144 on: April 24, 2019, 07:56:48 PM
It is just the feeling i get looking at the tool and the advertising around it. I know that might not be rational, that's why i tried to describe it as a feeling.

The high price creates a certain expectation, and and least from what i have seen so far it does not live up to it.

Yeah, that makes sense. I see what you mean. The price + marketing did try to raise expectations pretty high.

I’d kind of shoved the “marketing” out of mind. That was definitely over the top and a bit stupid (“epic haptics” and the grey sheath nonsense most especially).
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1145 on: April 24, 2019, 08:01:19 PM
Guess i should have done that too. But fancy photos and videos get me every time  :cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #1146 on: April 24, 2019, 08:51:12 PM
We all need to keep in mind that there will never be an MT that satisfies everyone. Fact : There is, and never will be, a perfect MT. Especially when hardly anyone approaches a new tool without perceived and/or lifestyle preferences, assumptions, and brand-fandom. I am guilty of that as well to a small extent I guess.
Presupposition is hell.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1147 on: April 24, 2019, 08:54:01 PM
You are right of course. But we wouldn‘t have so much fun arguing about it, if there was a perfect mt  :D :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1148 on: April 24, 2019, 09:05:13 PM
You are right of course. But we wouldn‘t have so much fun arguing about it, if there was a perfect mt  :D :cheers:
LOL. :rofl:
SOO...DANG...TRUE. :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #1149 on: April 24, 2019, 11:18:50 PM
Well, my presumption of tools not being safely retained seems to have some early supporting evidence. I don't care if I get labelled a hater, or by whom, as some of my concerns already appear to be legit.

I will add another prediction.

Following on from my rambling post after seeing Monrogue's pics (might have been in the other thread), I now feel confident enough to say that I expect to see failures of the force transfer lugs that nestle into the cut outs on the handle when the pliers are clicked into place. I do not expect this to be as vulnerable as the original Switchplier, but I do expect similar fractures leading to total pliers failure for hard users. The cross section is larger than that of the peg on the Switchplier, and there are two pegs per jaw. Much stronger than that SOG. However, I do think there is a very real risk of fractures there, either through fatigue, or impact loading from pliers slamming shut if they sip off something while being gripped hard.

This will partially depend on the tensile strength that they have managed to produce with the castings. I know from experience, that some stainless castings, with the right heat treatment, can actually be quite ductile. I've managed to successfully cold work straighten some castings up to maybe 2 tonnes in weight on a 500 tonne press in the past, so I do have first hand experience there. (I've also seen some fracture with very low force applied, and it was important to refer to a mechanical test certificate, to see which components were suitable). However, those castings were for an entirely different application and industry, and whether the same ductility can be produced on a casting sufficiently hardened for use as pliers, is beyond my metallurgical knowledge. Also, We're taking about frequent loading, every time the pliers are used, which may be susceptible to creeping cracks.

EDIT: I expect such issues to be infrequent, and more likely to occur over a longer timeframe. So I wouldn't expect to see many, if any, cases within lets say the first 12 months, but wouldn't be surprised to see a couple reports of failure in that area within two or three years.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:27:07 PM by AimlessWanderer »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #1150 on: April 24, 2019, 11:23:44 PM
Well, my presumption of tools not being safely retained seems to have some early supporting evidence. I don't care if I get labelled a hater, or by whom, as some of my concerns already appear to be legit.

Following on from my rambling post after seeing Monrogue's pics (might have been in the other thread), I now feel confident enough to say that I expect to see failures of the force transfer lugs that nestle into the cut outs on the handle when the pliers are clicked into place. I do not expect this to be as vulnerable as the original Switchplier, but I do expect similar fractures leading to total pliers failure for hard users. The cross section is larger than that of the peg on the Switchplier, and there are two pegs per jaw. Much stronger than that SOG. However, I do think there is a very real risk of fractures there, either through fatigue, or impact loading from pliers slamming shut if they sip off something while being gripped hard.

This will partially depend on the tensile strength that they have managed to produce with the castings. I know from experience, that some stainless castings, with the right heat treatment, can actually be quite ductile. I've managed to successfully cold work straighten some castings up to maybe 2 tonnes in weight on a 500 tonne press in the past, so I do have first hand experience there. (I've also seen some fracture with very low force applied, and it was important to refer to a mechanical test certificate, to see which components were suitable). However, those castings were for an entirely different application and industry, and whether the same ductility can be produced on a casting sufficiently hardened for use as pliers, is beyond my metallurgical knowledge. Also, We're taking about frequent loading, every time the pliers are used, which may be susceptible to creeping cracks.
I'm trying to follow here... so it is possible that the free is neither safe opened, or closed?
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #1151 on: April 24, 2019, 11:29:56 PM
I'm trying to follow here... so it is possible that the free is neither safe opened, or closed?

I don't expect that lug to present a safety issue, like the sharp tools popping out. More of just a "oops, pliers no worky" scenario.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #1152 on: April 24, 2019, 11:48:12 PM

To put things into perspective as far as premium prices go the Crunch is now going for $109.00 on the LM website. With the high cost of steel and wages I wouldn’t expect prices to drop any time soon with American made tools, unless the quality is total garbage.  Regardless of whether the Free series is your cup of tea or not the tool required a great deal of research, development, new machining and casts, and still requires more quality control. Could they have added better implements?  Sure, and I think that they will. Just expect to pay for it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1153 on: April 25, 2019, 12:31:23 AM
To put things into perspective as far as premium prices go the Crunch is now going for $109.00 on the LM website. With the high cost of steel and wages I wouldn’t expect prices to drop any time soon with American made tools, unless the quality is total garbage.  Regardless of whether the Free series is your cup of tea or not the tool required a great deal of research, development, new machining and casts, and still requires more quality control. Could they have added better implements?  Sure, and I think that they will. Just expect to pay for it.
Well said again, sir! :salute::iagree:

I paid the price for the Frees and was glad to do so. Seems a fair price to me after seeing how nice they are, if I'm being honest.  :)

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #1154 on: April 25, 2019, 12:41:09 AM
Just got my Free P4 in the mail, and while I appreciate and understand the objections, so far my (admittedly very limited) experience has been positive. The pliers open very easily one-handed, as do the tools. The tools, while appearing on the surface to be like Wingman/Sidekick tools, actually appear to be much better quality in-hand. And the Phillips screwdriver appears much better and stronger than I initially feared. So far I am very optimistic about the future of this line.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #1155 on: April 25, 2019, 01:09:06 AM
The costs of American made tools aren’t going down any time soon. Especially with new casts and the price of steel. The price of quality American made quality knives reflects this.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #1156 on: April 25, 2019, 01:54:22 AM

EDIT: I expect such issues to be infrequent, and more likely to occur over a longer timeframe. So I wouldn't expect to see many, if any, cases within lets say the first 12 months, but wouldn't be surprised to see a couple reports of failure in that area within two or three years.

These are good points, Al.

I didn’t understand what you meant when you mentioned the potential pliers issue before, but now I get it. Since the plier heads are likely cast, I could see them failing like you describe. Time will tell.

I don’t like how the tools pop out either. I’ve never really had a desire to “butterfly” my pliers open, but given that the tool is designed to do so, it seems like this could potentially injure someone who isn’t aware of the possibility.  :-\

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #1157 on: April 25, 2019, 02:34:14 AM
I was able to recreate the tools popping out a bit while butterfly opening, but only by deliberately using extra squeezing force when popping the handles closed.  It doesn’t happen at all when I apply the normal force required.
K-Tibbs

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #1158 on: April 25, 2019, 03:36:48 AM

On my examples it is safe. I can’t shake any of the tools out while the pliers are closed. When the pliers snap open The blades don’t move out at all, only the inside tools. It’s more of an annoyance than anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1159 on: April 25, 2019, 05:02:55 AM
The P2 met my expectations. First impressions are excellent. I needed a win after several disappointments from multiple companies recently.

Leatherman: OHT - both examples have misaligned/sloppy pliers heads.
Gerber: BO Center-Drive - Has slightly misaligned pliers that make the cutters ineffective on thin stuff.
SOG: PowerAccess Deluxe - Awful file and below-par fit & finish. PowerGrab - Awesome design executed very poorly.
Victorinox: Spirit - Pliers absurdly tight and won't seem to loosen up. Nomad - Main blade has play.
Sheffield: Flip head tool is garbage and almost useless.

I know I should send most of that stuff in for warranty,  but I just can't justify all of the shipping costs right now. Though I'll get to it at some point.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1160 on: April 25, 2019, 05:17:12 AM

The crunch is on my want list, and is a good example when you can charge higher prices. As far as i know it is the only MT with locking pliers produced as of today. So it is something special and i am willing to pay more money for it.

The Free series has nothing of that and so i will not pay for it unless the price drops to below $90 (which i know won‘t happen anytime soon).

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1161 on: April 25, 2019, 06:16:30 AM
OK. Did some comparisons to what I consider the closest competitor from LM for the LM Free P2. AND IT AIN'T THE WAVE.  :D

IT IS THE................WAIT FOR IT.................THE WINGMAN! :woohoo:

So, to start, let me be clear. The Wingman is in no way, shape, quality-wise or aesthetically comparable to the P2. It just has a similar set of tools, excluding the P2's awl and medium flat driver.  The Wingman does not have an awl or medium flat driver.

If somebody wants a basic tool and wants a Leatherman, the Wingman is still is a great option.

Photos.

Blade:
I like the shape of the P2 blade better, and it is a bit longer.

Scissor:
I have always felt the Wingman scissors were flimsy and akward to use. The Free scissors aren't as "big"(which isn't a great single-measure of usefulness), but they are leagues above the Wingman scissors in quality. Much better steel stock, rigidity, and cut.

Big drivers:
The phillips is much better in form than the Wingman, and the P2 also has a bottle opener on the phillips. The blade stock, while the P2's looks much thicker than the Wingman phillips, is the same thickness. The better formed tip makes a huge difference though.
The flat driver tip on the Wingman is too thick to be useful, but makes a decent pry tool. The P2 flat driver steel stock is 0.8mm thicker than the steel stock on the Wingman. The P2 tip is more of a useful size and has a sharpened edge for miscellaneous applications. Also the P2 big-flat can be used as a pry tool without worrying too much.

File:
The Wingman file is wider, but is only a single cut on one side. The P2 has a single cut on one side and a cross-cut on the other side. Both are tipped with a medium/small-ish flat driver.

Can opener:
The P2 uses a SAK-style quarter-circle opener, while the Wingman uses the classic LM can opener with wire stripper. The P2 has a smaller wire stripper on the medium long-flat driver.

Pliers:
The P2 has a beautifully machined pliers head, but the bolt-grip area is similar to the Wave's(but smaller) and much smaller than the Wingman's. Note: Wingman pliers are spring loaded and are infamous for having slop. The P2, like the Wave, has no slop in the pliers head.

Anyway, the point is this:
If you have an issue with paying $119 for an urban type MT that only offers massively superior fit & finish/action/style/comfort over the Wingman, but doesn't really add any true practical function(aside from the long medium flat driver and awl/micro driver that the P2 has), then the Wingman is still a good option.  :)
My choice of the two would be the P2. Mostly, because I really like the fit & finish, mechanism, action, and style. The fit & finish are above the SwissTool Spirit on the totem pole. The P2 is 100% made in the US, while the Wingman uses a portion of outsourced parts, which isn't important to everyone, but some of us think it is awesome the P2 is full-on US made. The P2 is MASSIVELY more comfortable to use. The P2 has all-locking implements that can be accessed ALL from the outside of the tool WITH JUST ONE HAND. The only other full-OHO is the OHT from LM, but that tool isn't practical for pocket carry.

I'll do another quick write-up with the P4 tomorrow(if it comes) and Wave, since their toolsets are similar. The P2 toolset is similar to the Wingman.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:49:21 AM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #1162 on: April 25, 2019, 06:56:30 AM
good write up GLBM, have you used it on anything yet? Also, do you feel those little tabs on the handle at all(In plier mode)?

Offline gilson65

Reply #1163 on: April 25, 2019, 07:06:03 AM
good write up GLBM, have you used it on anything yet? Also, do you feel those little tabs on the handle at all(In plier mode)?

Those little tabs don’t effect me on the p2 To me they are there to stop handle movement especially when using the screwdriver’s

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #1164 on: April 25, 2019, 07:12:06 AM
Those little tabs don’t effect me on the p2 To me they are there to stop handle movement especially when using the screwdriver’s

That's cool, I had gotten a Rev very cheap a few months ago on clearance from walmart, and it has a very sharp hot spot on it that could easily slice you if your'e not careful, I can't afford this tool ATM but definitely want one.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1165 on: April 25, 2019, 07:13:08 AM
Thanks, Blackbeard! :cheers:
I'm taking it to work tomorrow to see how the magnets do around steel wool dust. I'm already carrying the Surge for the challenge, but will add the P2 to the belt for a day and try it out on some stuff. We'll see how it goes.  :)

I don't feel the little alignment tabs at all. I also assumed the lock tab recesses would be somewhat uncomfortable, but gripping larger stuff isn't uncomfortable at all. Not quite as comfortable as the Wave handles during use, but quite good. Feels on par with the Vic Spirit in strong grip at the same open width.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1166 on: April 25, 2019, 07:14:31 AM
That's cool, I had gotten a Rev very cheap a few months ago on clearance from walmart, and it has a very sharp hot spot on it that could easily slice you if your'e not careful, I can't afford this tool ATM but definitely want one.
The P2 is a really nice piece of tool. Expensive yes, but I can see why, after playing with one.  :multi:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #1167 on: April 25, 2019, 07:17:58 AM
Nice, I just don't like that file, seems like it would be hard to get anything done, unless it's your fingernails...The Rev file may never get used, without a lock it's not very handy, but maybe the lock will help overcome the size issue.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #1168 on: April 25, 2019, 07:27:31 AM
probably the wrong thread for this, but just to follow up, here is pic of that sharp hot spot on rev, the upside down U cutout near pivot screw, I will probably try to smooth it out one of these days, I dont use the tool that much, but it does live in my backpack for emergencies

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:32:47 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1169 on: April 25, 2019, 07:33:00 AM
For me, the crosscut side of the P2 file will make it more usable. I generally don't like single-cut files on MTs, because they tend to "walk off" of the metal you're filing. You're right though, the locking file should be more usable. Now, that said, the Wingman(and sidekick) is much higher quality, and made to a higher standard, than the Rev. Example: the spring retention of open tools on the Wingman is several times stronger than the Rev snap. I prefer the Rev pliers to the Wingman/Sidekick pliers though. I'd take a file to that hot-spot and let it be a backup tool(if it were me of course). I am not sure a Rev is worth sending back, because you'd likely get one back with the same issue.   :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%