Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free Series

wowaboro · 1511 · 74316

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Free Series
Reply #540 on: February 11, 2019, 03:10:31 PM
Glad they included an awl although it appears to be a poor excuse of one. Why so dull Leatherman ??

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #541 on: February 11, 2019, 03:22:38 PM

It'll turn into BO :D
Brown Oxide?  :rofl:

Yes, I think there will be many MTO users interested. Especially outside US as we’ll be even further down the list for retail sales availability.  :iagree:
:like:
The pre-order deal sure makes it easier to get tools out around the globe. The times Grant has done the pre-orders, our international members avoided the excessive markup. :woohoo:

Ok, lets take a close look at these tools from a more objective perspective. There are definitely some important unanswered questions for me..

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

What is the weight?
What are the Dimensions? Especially the P2, I would love to find it was similar to the Spirit X in profile and thickness, meaning it would be significantly more pocket-able.
How easy is it to move the tools around?
Are the Pliers Spring loaded? Couldn't tell

From a modders' perspective..
Can I shape current tools to fit this system? if so I am sold right now on it.
Can I shape the Can opener into a spoon gouge? (will depend on how thick it is)

Positive Observations right off the bat..
+ the new flat driver looks excellent I wish they would show how it is twice as thick as the current flat drivers (excellent)  :woohoo:
+ the magnetic system is going to work perfectly assuming its based off similar systems I have seen before. Now that I see it, I'm surprised it hasn't shown up before.  :tu:
+ I really like the distinction between P2 and P4 and their thickness differences.
+ After some investigation they cost is much more reasonable than you might think. The MSRP of some tools by SOG and Gerber are as high or higher and they are significantly worse in construction and materials.  :tu:
+ the Plier shape looks excellent, should work great on most projects.
+ made in the USA, this is a bigger deal than ppl realize. And in order for them to afford the tooling to expand on different tool sets in the future they are really depending on this tool selling well.  :hatsoff:
+ The Philips has a bottle opener attached to it that has NO effect on the tool! Thank you for learning from Victorinox on this one, this is a bottle opener I am ok with.  :tu:
+ The smaller flat has measurements on the opposite side (nice free tools that cost no functionality).  :hatsoff:

Some differences that need investigation:

- the size of the file makes me wonder how useful it is.  :think:
- how useful is the Philips drivers (it wont work with the adapter for the square drivers which is a bummer)  :cry:
- Can't wait to try the new scissor design and see how it stacks up next to the king...the Vic scissors.  :climber:
- Is the punch also an AWL? if so, how good is it?  :think:

more notes incoming...

I think I have decided I will be making a video where I IMMEDIATELY ruin its warranty by dissembling it for science lol.

Cheers,
HG
Nice list of positives there. :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #542 on: February 11, 2019, 03:26:10 PM
HG you make some interesting points. I’m just going to comment on one for the moment, the question of interchangeability...

If you look at each individual tool, there is a ‘bump’ on each tool that matches up against the magnet, so you’ll need to recreate this feature on any substitute tool. Then the locking system is completely revised. Each tool has a semi-circular notch that locks up against the locking lever pivot, so it looks like the lever is reversed compared to current designs and the locking notch will be in a different location.

All in all, I very much doubt there is much opportunity to substitute tools from other products, even with extensive rework.  ???
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #543 on: February 11, 2019, 03:34:57 PM
I have a feeling that the promotional tool isn't exactly what we'll be getting. Sometimes early demo/beta test tools are significantly less refined than production versions. Hopefully anyway. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #544 on: February 11, 2019, 03:39:29 PM
To me the file looks more like it was made for finger nails  :think:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #545 on: February 11, 2019, 03:53:15 PM
I have a feeling that the promotional tool isn't exactly what we'll be getting. Sometimes early demo/beta test tools are significantly less refined than production versions. Hopefully anyway. :)

I agree, but the design is committed in two key areas; the bump on the tool that has to touch the magnet (gives them an excuse to put a bottle opener on the Phillips),   :pok:

and the reversed locking levers where the back of the lever appears to lock the tool.  :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #546 on: February 11, 2019, 06:40:35 PM
I want to like this tools implements but I just cannot.  I'm a huge fan of the bit holder.  In part its why I gravitate to tools with it.  My Surge, Wave, Charge, and Skeletool CX all bring so much to the table for me having it. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #547 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:52 PM
I wouldn't say for sure there isn't some forward comparability with some metal work. Partially because I think implements from the Rebar/Wave etc have more length. The question will be how the pivots match up in relation to everything else. Hard to tell until I take it apart.

The last big deciding factor is the size, if its bigger than the wave (P2) then it has no hopes of getting into my pockets. Especially when the Sprit X has more implements, better ones, weighs less than the wave, and is much much thinner.

Pocketablity is key for me.

Cheers,
H.G.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:11:58 PM by Happy Gilmore »

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #548 on: February 12, 2019, 01:43:10 AM
The more I think about it, it’s the absence of the bit holder that’s the deal breaker for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• No Life Club
Reply #549 on: February 12, 2019, 02:34:06 AM
The more I think about it, it’s the absence of the bit holder that’s the deal breaker for me.

Bit holder or...lets be honest a square shape so that you can use the leatherman bit adapter. I see it as exactly the same thing since you need to carry to bits anyway. Personally I prefer the Rebar Philips with the bit adapter over the very short exchanger in the wave. The length of the tools has mattered too often for me.

The Free series will be very popular no doubt, but I worry the tools inside them are really not as durable and capable as the WAVE, Rebar, Supertool300, or surge. If you depend on your tool to work for you...you need a tough tool. These tools look much less substantial than those of the past. The exception would be the new flat driver and the scissors, both of those seem better in many ways.

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #550 on: February 12, 2019, 06:03:44 AM
The Free Series looks to be oriented to urban or city EDC, while the proven Wave, Rebar, Surge, ST300, Signal, MUT were allrounders
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #551 on: February 12, 2019, 07:00:05 AM
^That.

I keep in mind that the new tools are not replacements for their existing tools. Their promotional campaign is unfortunate for sure. They definitely could have promoted the Free series as a new line geared towards the urbanite instead of claiming that all MTs, including their own well-loved models(of which some are superior to the Free in work environments), are inferior. :facepalm:

I do think they need to backpeddle the superiority campaign and replace it with a more accurate advertising campaign.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:01:20 AM by gerleatherberman »

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #552 on: February 12, 2019, 07:29:39 AM
The Free T4 looks like a good allrounder.
Maybe from that file i could shape a Tshank and use the file and saw from the Surge, all of that in a pocket clip... Hmmm when will those be available?
Sanger's laws:

us Offline carl

Reply #553 on: February 12, 2019, 08:20:24 AM
I don't think we need to say that Leatherman is badmouthing the Wave:  in fact, I remember the rep at Shot Show specifically saying "I don't mean to badmouth the Wave; its one of our best sellers..." or something like that....and then he went on to point out that the Wave's fingernail nicks were a bit of a pain, that's all.

us Offline carl

Reply #554 on: February 12, 2019, 08:28:34 AM
1)   What is the advantage of a preorder?  Better price?  A better assurance of actually getting the merchandise before it sells out?

2)  What are the advantages of being an 'early buyer'?  Will their attention to QC be a bit better? 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #555 on: February 12, 2019, 08:35:57 AM
The pre-orders help distribute the tools at reasonable prices for everyone, especially for the international market where companies in the US tend to excessively mark up the prices. The pre-orders do help ensure those who participate do get one of the first runs of tools.

The early buyer can sometimes expect a bit higher QC, but that said, LM generally doesn't suffer from declining quality as much as some other MT companies. The down side is that the first lot may exhibit some possible problems related to safety and/or quality(non-visible like casting issues and parts structural integrity).

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #556 on: February 12, 2019, 09:13:22 AM
i'm in for a pre-order, i'm saving for T4 and P4. Any chance Romania, land of Dracula is on the list ?
Sanger's laws:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #557 on: February 12, 2019, 09:37:07 AM
That's going to be up to the site owner. I am suggesting that is would be a good idea, but am not completely versed in the logistics of such an endeavor.
Although, and seriously, it would be awesome Leatherman made sure the world's largest multi tool community had first dibs on the new tools.

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #558 on: February 12, 2019, 12:19:53 PM
so...they're present on the site https://www.leatherman.com/free.html
Sanger's laws:

• No Life Club
Reply #559 on: February 12, 2019, 02:22:54 PM
Honestly I think the T and K series are way more interesting. They provide some significant advantages over some other smaller pocket tools, primarily one handed and locking tools. In that way they are really interesting. As I said before the make or break for me is the size of the P2, I am hoping it will both weigh less and be smaller than the wave.

Cheers,
HG

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #560 on: February 12, 2019, 04:14:56 PM
I'm happy to see the excitement for the new line of tool from LM. Taking a step back for a second I can see how this new MT is aimed at a certain segment.  "We" got the plus line recently which added the cutter to our favorite tools.  That was a good move from LM.  There are users who dont need or want upgraded materials/implemets.  There are casual users who want a tool at their side if needed.  I know I tend to forget this.

This line is a good representation of that.  If this tool came out before the Wingman/Sidekick, price aside, would we be more stoked? 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #561 on: February 12, 2019, 04:28:28 PM
I'm happy to see the excitement for the new line of tool from LM. Taking a step back for a second I can see how this new MT is aimed at a certain segment.  "We" got the plus line recently which added the cutter to our favorite tools.  That was a good move from LM.  There are users who dont need or want upgraded materials/implemets.  There are casual users who want a tool at their side if needed.  I know I tend to forget this.

This line is a good representation of that.  If this tool came out before the Wingman/Sidekick, price aside, would we be more stoked?

I don’t think it’s aimed at that market though. It’s much too expensive. I think it’s an urban tool designed for that market segment. (I’m trying to avoid using the term “hipster”.)

I hope there’s a variant with better blade steel and a bit driver. I’d also be willing to lose the dedicated saw for the Surge Blade exchanger.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #562 on: February 12, 2019, 04:45:42 PM
The price tag surely confuses me  :think:.   
Esse Quam Videri

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #563 on: February 12, 2019, 05:20:59 PM
Hipsters millenials tend to have better paid jobs and tend to spend money on flashy fancy eye catching things.
Either way, city/urban edc.
Such a pitty the Free Pseries does not have the Tshank and bitholder
Sanger's laws:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #564 on: February 12, 2019, 06:18:24 PM
so...they're present on the site https://www.leatherman.com/free.html
Thanks for the link RO. The video confirms the reversed locking lever system. There seems a lot of cut-outs around the tool's pivot area - more so than current models. :think:
Pivot.JPG
* Pivot.JPG (Filesize: 38.34 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #565 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:22 PM
I dont think this is actually target at urban, The Metal file on the wave...the bit exchanger, seem even better when u are carrying a backpack/briefcase/ etc.

Actually thats an interesting point..Is this a pocket carry? If they are too big (which might be the case), it really has no hope of getting into the city market. The Skeletool may be the best EDC city carry right now, super light and effective. I dont see this every replacing a skeletool, even with only 3 primary tools..if they added scissors to the other side of it I'd probably carry one every single day.

Cheers,
HG

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #566 on: February 13, 2019, 12:00:08 AM
This is just the beginning.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #567 on: February 13, 2019, 12:06:50 AM
This is just the beginning.
I fear you're correct.
 :crash:

• No Life Club
Reply #568 on: February 13, 2019, 03:16:28 AM

This video was very useful, gives weight of or, looks like p2 should weigh less than the wave.

P4: 8.6 oz
Wave: 8.5 oz
P2: 7.0????

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:22:01 AM by Happy Gilmore »

us Offline carl

Reply #569 on: February 13, 2019, 04:02:00 AM
The pre-orders help distribute the tools at reasonable prices for everyone, especially for the international market where companies in the US tend to excessively mark up the prices. The pre-orders do help ensure those who participate do get one of the first runs of tools.

The early buyer can sometimes expect a bit higher QC, but that said, LM generally doesn't suffer from declining quality as much as some other MT companies. The down side is that the first lot may exhibit some possible problems related to safety and/or quality(non-visible like casting issues and parts structural integrity).

Thanks for the info!  Can't wait for more info on the P4 - especially the length.  An earlier post said it was 4.25 inches as shown on a seller site but that info was later taken down.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%