Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free Series

wowaboro · 1511 · 74287

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Free Series
Reply #60 on: January 23, 2019, 12:08:36 AM
I will wait on the Bay. They banned me from buying on their website, saying I was a forwarder to some foreign countries  >:( , which I am not. My money is not good enough for them.

WTF !   LM   :twak:   

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #61 on: January 23, 2019, 12:08:59 AM
Oh dear,looks like I'm going to be the nay sayer :ahhh

Al? Are you going g to jump in and take the bullet for me?

No?

Ok....

So,Leatherman seem to have built a OHO Swisstool. Meh.

So, using such logic, are we to say that Vic built a locking Bear Jaws tool? And LM built a OHO Locking Bear Jaws? Or that Bear made an outboard-tool PST? Or that LM made a sak with two sides and pliers? Or that Vic made a mass production tool that was unoriginal, because everything about it had been done before? :think:

SwissTool is a very well made tool, but isn't really original in any way, so that argument doesn't apply in reality. The LM Free P3 looks to be a good mesh of pre-existing ideas. That is all most MTs can hope to be nowadays. SOG had some recent innovations. But, admittedly, not great ones. :tu:

Quote from: Kirk13
Two ugly looking folders with a odd looking lock system? Actually,sorry. Two folders that look like cheap nasty off brand Chinese knives you'd find in a cheap hardware store.

Not excited at all.
You have a problem with them trying new ideas, and on the flip-side, other people criticize LM for not trying to improve. Can they do anything right?

I am excited about a new design. As we should all be. Otherwise nothing would ever be improved on.

Lol,I knew this would ruffle a few feathers ;)

For what it's worth,I haven't got excited about a LM since the Rebar was launched...and I'm no fan of the Rebar.

My point about the tool is simply that its nothing new.

As to the folders,if you like them,then great,I have no problem with that,but to me theres nothing new except they look ugly.

I had to out my collection of multi tools into long term storage. I kept 5 pliers based tools with me for work and recreational purposes. While all are mods,two are PSTs,one is a Sideclip,and the other a Fuse. I dont hate LM,but to me,their great days are gone.

To refer to what you said about getting excited... If you're excited about this,then great :tu:. When Leatherman,or Gerber or Victorinix release a new tool that is a real innovation,or offer a tool that is genuine improvement over the Wave/MP600/Spirit,I'll get excited.

I'm sorry if my post upset you,but they're only multitools  :dunno:

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: January 23, 2019, 12:13:42 AM

No?

Ok....

So, using such logic, are we to say that Vic built a locking Bear Jaws tool? And LM built a OHO Locking Bear Jaws? Or that Bear made an outboard-tool PST? Or that LM made a sak with two sides and pliers? Or that Vic made a mass production tool that was unoriginal, because everything about it had been done before? :think:

SwissTool is a very well made tool, but isn't really original in any way, so that argument doesn't apply in reality. The LM Free P3 looks to be a good mesh of pre-existing ideas. That is all most MTs can hope to be nowadays. SOG had some recent innovations. But, admittedly, not great ones. :tu:

Two ugly looking folders with a odd looking lock system? Actually,sorry. Two folders that look like cheap nasty off brand Chinese knives you'd find in a cheap hardware store.

Not excited at all.
You have a problem with them trying new ideas, and on the flip-side, other people criticize LM for not trying to improve. Can they do anything right?

I am excited about a new design. As we should all be. Otherwise nothing would ever be improved on.

For what it's worth,I haven't got excited about a LM since the Rebar was launched...and I'm no fan of the Rebar.

As to the folders,if you like them,then great,I have no problem with that,but to me theres nothing new except they look ugly.

I had to out my collection of multi tools into long term storage. I kept 5 pliers based tools with me for work and recreational purposes. While all are mods,two are PSTs,one is a Sideclip,and the other a Fuse. I dont hate LM,but to me,their great days are gone.

To refer to what you said about getting excited... If you're excited about this,then great :tu:. When Leatherman,or Gerber or Victorinix release a new tool that is a real innovation,or offer a tool that is genuine improvement over the Wave/MP600/Spirit,I'll get excited.

I fully agree. The tools you list are truly revolutionary; but really, I can't say there's anything since that's been nothing more than a rehash of existing ideas. Back during the Multitool Wars (as I call it) of the mid-to-late 1990s, Schrade, Buck, Gerber, SOG, LM, Bear, and Vic, among smaller makers all brought new and truly revolutionary designs to the table.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 23, 2019, 12:17:56 AM

No?

Ok....

Not excited at all.

There is only so much that can be done with a multi tool. What exactly would impress you?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #64 on: January 23, 2019, 12:27:39 AM
Kirk13,

The Wave, MP600, or Spirit weren't revolutionary either. The LM P3 has a lot of the stuff we moaned and whined for. Now that we are getting some of that, you can only say that it is a rehashed tool.
The Wave wasn't the first with outboard blades. The MP600 is just a revised MP(Pinchy). The Spirit is a toned down SwissTool, which wasn't revolutionary either.
The LM PST, SOG PowerPlier, SOG Paratool, OG Gerber MP, Bear Jaws 155, Kershaw A100, and several others(BuckTool, Schrade ST1, etc.) were revolutionary.

I'm not upset. I just think you may not see what the P3 is to some of us pliers-MT enthusiasts.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: January 23, 2019, 12:36:48 AM
He sees it :whistle: he just likes to :poke: and prod occasionally  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:04 AM
Well. What he is doing is like me going into a SAK collector thread(example. One for special limited production editions) and giving reasons why people shouldn't buy them. I'd never do that, as I understand collecting and enthusiasts.
I'll poop on the Free P3 if I dislike it after I get one in my collection. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: January 23, 2019, 01:08:49 AM

Guilty as charged M'lud  ;) >:D

Kirk13,

The Wave, MP600, or Spirit weren't revolutionary either. The LM P3 has a lot of the stuff we moaned and whined for. Now that we are getting some of that, you can only say that it is a rehashed tool.
The Wave wasn't the first with outboard blades. The MP600 is just a revised MP(Pinchy). The Spirit is a toned down SwissTool, which wasn't revolutionary either.
The LM PST, SOG PowerPlier, SOG Paratool, OG Gerber MP, Bear Jaws 155, Kershaw A100, and several others(BuckTool, Schrade ST1, etc.) were revolutionary.

I'm not upset. I just think you may not see what the P3 is to some of us pliers-MT enthusiasts.

You've slightly missed my meaning there GLM. I never said the MP600/Wave/Spirit were revolutionary. What I was aiming at saying was they were a high water mark.

The other thing you see  to be missing and to be fair thts more down to my having been somewhat MIA,is that I am a major plier based tool enthusiast. I've used SOGs(Paratools,PPPs,Powerassists,and that other whatsit :think:), more Gerbers than I can shake a stick at(including gifting a few to workmates),and sooo  many Leatherman(PSTs,Supertools,Pulses,Waves,Rebars,OHTs,Juices, Micras....well,you get the jdea). If you trawl back through my posts,you can see some of my old reviews.

Poncho is right...my post was deliberately provocative, but as Def says,we're a forum,not an agreeum. But to go back to my core point,so far I can't see what is the USB of the P3. In my last year working in Hamleys(see guys! I can say that now!) I split my multitool use between a Swisstool X and a Spirit. Before,I'd have rotated tools on a weekly basis.Both tools forfilled my needs flawlessly. If Leatherman want to regain my custom,as I've not bought(or been able to afford a new LM at UK prices in about 6 or 7 years) they would need to offer me a valid improvement over the Wave,which I'd used for years,again with flawless service.

If anyone was going to ask me what that I improvement was(aside from improving quality) I'd be stumped!

If you'd like to send me a P3 to try out,I'll gladly put it through its paces,and if it is super,I'll happily admit I'm wrong(see my review on the OHT). But,no,I am actually sorry,I cant feel the excitement  :cry:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: January 23, 2019, 01:24:13 AM

Guilty as charged M'lud  ;) >:D

Kirk13,

You've slightly missed my meaning there GLM. I never said the MP600/Wave/Spirit were revolutionary. What I was aiming at saying was they were a high water mark.

The other thing you see  to be missing and to be fair thts more down to my having been somewhat MIA,is that I am a major plier based tool enthusiast. I've used SOGs(Paratools,PPPs,Powerassists,and that other whatsit :think:), more Gerbers than I can shake a stick at(including gifting a few to workmates),and sooo  many Leatherman(PSTs,Supertools,Pulses,Waves,Rebars,OHTs,Juices, Micras....well,you get the jdea). If you trawl back through my posts,you can see some of my old reviews.

Poncho is right...my post was deliberately provocative, but as Def says,we're a forum,not an agreeum. But to go back to my core point,so far I can't see what is the USB of the P3. In my last year working in Hamleys(see guys! I can say that now!) I split my multitool use between a Swisstool X and a Spirit. Before,I'd have rotated tools on a weekly basis.Both tools forfilled my needs flawlessly. If Leatherman want to regain my custom,as I've not bought(or been able to afford a new LM at UK prices in about 6 or 7 years) they would need to offer me a valid improvement over the Wave,which I'd used for years,again with flawless service.

If anyone was going to ask me what that I improvement was(aside from improving quality) I'd be stumped!

If you'd like to send me a P3 to try out,I'll gladly put it through its paces,and if it is super,I'll happily admit I'm wrong(see my review on the OHT). But,no,I am actually sorry,I cant feel the excitement  :cry:

What would impress you?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: January 23, 2019, 01:29:45 AM
Well Kirk13,

We seem to be at odds on the P3. Perhaps we can discuss it once some of us get them. I do apologize for getting flustered though.

Now, if you need me to make a list of almost every SOG model(ParaTool to PowerLitre, PowerPlier to Baton/Sync series) for you, just let me know and I'll list the ones in my collection. :pok:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: January 23, 2019, 01:32:49 AM
Well Kirk13,

We seem to be at odds on the P3. Perhaps we can discuss it once some of us get them. I do apologize for getting flustered though.

Now, if you need me to make a list of almost every SOG model(ParaTool to PowerLitre, PowerPlier to Baton/Sync series) for you, just let me know and I'll list the ones in my collection. :pok:

No apologies needed mate :cheers:

I don't know about a list,but pics would be cool :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: January 23, 2019, 01:40:44 AM

No apologies needed mate :cheers:

I don't know about a list,but pics would be cool :)
:cheers:

And. SOGs. :facepalm:
http://imgur.com/fLubHNf.jpg
http://imgur.com/rDxzBoj.jpg

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: January 23, 2019, 01:55:24 AM
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline gregpost

Reply #73 on: January 23, 2019, 02:18:11 AM
Am I missing something?

Why is everyone so hyped without knowing anything about the tool load out?

What if it turns out to be some very subject specific multitool for spelunking or something.  :rofl:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: January 23, 2019, 02:27:21 AM
Am I missing something?

Why is everyone so hyped without knowing anything about the tool load out?

What if it turns out to be some very subject specific multitool for spelunking or something.  :rofl:

Nah you're not missing anything, and you could be correct. But I think its the seemingly new plier head and tweaked form factor that makes it seem like something to get fired up for.

But sure it could be the worst tool ever made. Who knows(until we get to try them)

us Offline gregpost

Reply #75 on: January 23, 2019, 02:35:42 AM
By the way I'm hyped too. But will be disappointed if it's a genre oriented lifestyle multitool, more than a generally handy evolution of the "toolbox in your pocket" concept.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: January 23, 2019, 02:42:38 AM

I think you need more.... :pok:
I think you are right. Will work on that. :)

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: January 23, 2019, 02:53:28 AM
By the way I'm hyped too. But will be disappointed if it's a genre oriented lifestyle multitool, more than a generally handy evolution of the "toolbox in your pocket" concept.

The look of it seems like a progression attempt not another odd spinoff, but again we won't know for a bit.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #78 on: January 23, 2019, 07:20:17 AM
Kirk13,

I do not expect revolutionary ideas when it comes to multi-tools. We're way past that. I do not even know what I would count as revolutionary anymore. Are the Outu monster scissors revolutionary? They're certainly a welcome addition to the bunch. Maybe if the design was produced by Leatherman or CRKT or something. Maybe a new interpretation of the Coleman ProLock? That would just be a rehash, though.

If something completely mind-blowing comes along, it is more than welcome to, but in the meantime, I am perfectly happy with good old butterflies and flicks.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: January 23, 2019, 08:05:17 AM
 :iagree:
Interpretation of innovation is a subjective rabbit hole. :ahhh
I am perfectly happy with classic designs that have been improved in some ways as well. Hoping the P3 qualifies as an improved design. It'll be added to the collection regardless.

Oh, and crazy designs are still awesome. Love some of the wierd stuff out there. The SOG Sync and Baton series comes to mind.

On a side thought:
Funny how actual innovative tools get crapped on for not being what people are comfortable with. And in turn, companies get crapped on for not trying new designs and ideas(being accused of stagnation). The contradictory nature of it is part of why some collectors have lost interest in multitools(or at least the community aspects of it, since most members are not collectors/aficionados anymore). God knows I am perturbed by the negativity at times and have contemplated taking breaks. I try to be positive about MT maker's attempts to buck the trends. But, some people just want to watch the world burn, I guess. Glass half empty kind of outlook. :facepalm:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: January 23, 2019, 11:56:15 AM
I suddenly care less about the new logo.  :gimme:

+1

it Offline balvenie

Reply #81 on: January 23, 2019, 12:50:45 PM
Well. What he is doing is like me going into a SAK collector thread(example. One for special limited production editions) and giving reasons why people shouldn't buy them. I'd never do that, as I understand collecting and enthusiasts.
I'll poop on the Free P3 if I dislike it after I get one in my collection. :)
Agree 100%
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

ru Offline wowaboro

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: January 23, 2019, 03:20:23 PM
That does look nice  :dd: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #84 on: January 23, 2019, 03:38:17 PM

:woohoo:

man oh man i want one, i better prepare my speech to my wife as to why i need this tool
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: January 23, 2019, 03:42:03 PM

Ohhh myyyyyy!  :drool:

*LM, take my money. I need that!*

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #87 on: January 23, 2019, 03:50:19 PM
A thousand times yes!  :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas