Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

February Fixie Challenge

Nix · 1866 · 31326

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: February Fixie Challenge
Reply #1740 on: March 02, 2019, 07:19:12 PM
Congrats on your sharp new badges Ray and Barry :hatsoff: Well deserved :salute:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1741 on: March 02, 2019, 07:30:46 PM
Hey, a big thanks to everyone who participated and made this challenge a lot of fun to be part of.  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1742 on: March 02, 2019, 07:34:37 PM
Badge awarded, Borg :cheers: congrats on a great job :tu: :like:

se Offline RF52

Reply #1743 on: March 02, 2019, 07:41:44 PM
Congrats Borg :hatsoff:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1744 on: March 02, 2019, 07:58:09 PM
Thanks everyone!  Congratulations Ray and Borg!  I really enjoyed this challenge Nix.  I brought out knives to use that haven't seen action in years. 
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1745 on: March 02, 2019, 07:58:47 PM
Thanks Poncho!! :cheers:
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1746 on: March 02, 2019, 08:10:11 PM

Day 30:

Some final thoughts to wrap up the challenge

First off, it has been a fun challenge. I really liked being everyone's knives and how they were used. Thanks to everyone for making this challenge a fun one and a memorable one.  :tu:

As I said in an earlier post, I didn't get to do everything I would have liked to do with my fixie, the Ulu. This was partly due to schedule and partly because I've been nursing an injured knee.  When I get the chance, I'll test a few extra uses and post my results back here in this thread, just for a sense of completeness.

In the meantime, I wanted to make list of pro's and con's for this particular knife.

Pro's:

- compact size, very easy to carry
- light weight, again, easy to carry
- well made belt sheath, allowed easy access to the knife, but there was a slight con, also (see below)
- fantastic edge. The chisel grind and D2 steel made this knife very sharp and a great slicer
- In addition to the great edge, the blade shape made this Ulu a great slicer. It can slice equally well with push cuts and pull cuts.
- the overall design was very intuitive to use. At times it felt like I was using a knapped flint 'knife'.
- nice grip. The Ulu design allows fr a variety of grips and a lot of control. With the blade centered under the palm, one's bodyweight can be used to cut straight down with great force.

Con's:

- nice sheath, but replacing the Ulu in the sheath was a bit tricky at times, especially in contrast to sheaths designed for knives with an in-line handle. This wasn't a big problem, but it was a bit slower, and usually a two-handed process
- no truly effective point for piercing. true, there are two 'points' on the Uu, but they are a bit awkward to use. And in the can opening test, using the points, the edge took some damage. I suspect an Ulu with a slightly longer blade and with less curve might allow for a little extra 'point' use.
- blade shape made sharpening a bit tricky.
- small blade made large cutting tasks a bit tricky at times. Again, I think that having the blade extend beyond the width of the handle would make this knife a bit more versatile.
- the chisel edge worked well and could be used either bevel in or bevel out. This gave the Ulu a bit of versatility, but I also found that for some cuts, the blade could veer off to one side. I found the for precise cuts, I had to really focus on the cut to keep it straight. This issue might just be a learning & muscle memory issue, but I never got completely used to it.
- with many cuts, my hand obscured the view of the cut. I found that I had to angle my head off to one side in order to get a clear view of a cut. This was especially tru when cutting up small things, e.g. a garlic clove.

Overall, I think the Ulu is a lot of knife in a small package. It many ways, it seems to work well-above it's size. I never found myself feeling there was a task I couldn't do, although a couple times I did reach for a bigger knife in order to get a task completed a bit more quickly.

Still, despite my overall positive impression, I don't think this is the knife for me. Can it work? Yes. But I think I prefer the ergonomics and familiarity of knives with an in-line handle (as opposed to the Ulu's over-the-edge handle). I don't see the Ulu becoming a "go-to" knife for me. However, I'm very glad I gave it a chance during this challenge. And I'll keep working with it a bit....you never know.....

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1747 on: March 02, 2019, 08:11:39 PM
Thanks everyone!  Congratulations Ray and Borg!  I really enjoyed this challenge Nix.  I brought out knives to use that haven't seen action in years.

Including that great Buck Special!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #1748 on: March 02, 2019, 08:13:33 PM
Day 30

I’ve been late posting today and missed half the action! Congrats everyone for finishing the challenge. It’s been great fun and I’ve really enjoyed participating and learning to do more with my fixies  :tu: :tu:

Here’s my day 30 contribution. A nice juicy steak to celebrate!  :woohoo:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1749 on: March 02, 2019, 08:31:37 PM
 :drool:

hr Offline styx

Reply #1750 on: March 02, 2019, 08:49:47 PM
day 30: the words are right but with that Leuku by my side, I'm not worried

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1751 on: March 02, 2019, 09:04:32 PM
Great looking Leuku, Styx.

I've enjoyed it throughout the challenge!   :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1752 on: March 02, 2019, 10:59:27 PM
I agree!!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1753 on: March 02, 2019, 11:00:04 PM
The food in this challenge had been fantastic!!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1754 on: March 02, 2019, 11:37:06 PM
Fixies sort of lend themselves to food prep.   :D

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1755 on: March 02, 2019, 11:43:11 PM
Reminder to those applying for badges, you need to post a link to the 30th day post of your challenge  :pok:

Congrats everyone, it's been a fun challenge to follow  :cheers:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #1756 on: March 02, 2019, 11:49:13 PM
Day 30

I’ve been late posting today and missed half the action! Congrats everyone for finishing the challenge. It’s been great fun and I’ve really enjoyed participating and learning to do more with my fixies  :tu: :tu:

Here’s my day 30 contribution. A nice juicy steak to celebrate!  :woohoo:
Great way to celebrate  :tu:
I agree!!
:iagree: +1
Andrew

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #1757 on: March 03, 2019, 12:32:54 AM
Day #30 - finishing strong doing some fruit prep for my little girl!
Like everyone else already said, it's been great fun to be a part of this challenge! Thank you Nix for kicking off with it, otherwise, I would have stuck to the folders that have been my main carry for years!
Thank you also, to the other participants, for the great pictures, great uses and great knives!

It's now time for one little guy to hand over the torch to another little guy for the Minichamp challenge, but not before a short summary.
The knife I chose for this challenge is, like I said in the beginning, a Chinese clone, which, since then, I've made unique, after reshaping the blade. I've also added some o-rings for added grip.
It's great for opening packages, precision cutting (like a scalpel), and also carving (great control).
Obviously, bigger tasks are off, due to the small size of the blade, but I still managed some food prep with it!
Overall, it has earned a place in my office bag, next to the x-acto(hobby) knife, just not around my neck.

Below, I'll also leave a picture of the two fixies I've used during the challenge, and one of my very humble fixie collection.
From the left:
- Hurricane razor clone. The star of this challenge.
- Izula clone.
- Browning Elk Ridge - didn't realize it was so small until I received it
- Nieto Yesca Mini

The two in the middle, I received during the challenge. The Elk Ridge has yet to see any use, because I hate the nylon sheath.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:55:30 AM by FInixNOver »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1758 on: March 03, 2019, 12:37:50 AM
 :salute: Great challenge everyone.  Its been fun catching up on this thread.  Some awesome knives and really good looking food.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1759 on: March 03, 2019, 12:54:23 AM
Great group photo, FInixNOver! 

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #1760 on: March 03, 2019, 01:03:30 AM
Thanks Nix!

I just realized, Nix is a part of my nickname... :facepalm:

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1761 on: March 03, 2019, 01:18:56 AM
Yes, I keep thinking of you as "Florida Nix".   :rofl:

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #1762 on: March 03, 2019, 01:40:57 AM
Yes, I keep thinking of you as "Florida Nix".   :rofl:

Now I'm wondering if I should be glad I'm not an american while having chosen that nickname...  :think: :dunno: (sorry, I don't understand the reference)

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #1763 on: March 03, 2019, 02:10:44 AM
:salute: Great challenge everyone.  Its been fun catching up on this thread.  Some awesome knives and really good looking food.   :tu:

+1  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1764 on: March 03, 2019, 02:44:06 AM
Now I'm wondering if I should be glad I'm not an american while having chosen that nickname...  :think: :dunno: (sorry, I don't understand the reference)

hehehe.

"FL" is the two-letter abbreviation for the state name of Florida. FL = Florida.

Other than that, there is no specific reference.   :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1765 on: March 03, 2019, 03:08:26 AM
Thanks Max  :tu:

Corrugated drainage pipe  :tu:

Congrats to everyone for finishing  :woohoo:

Day 30, both challenge knives today, i did use a Mora for a couple of days but i left that at work, i will continue using it there when i can  :salute:

(Image removed from quote.)
Ohhhh, I would never have guessed that...thanks!
Congratulations on yours also!  :cheers: :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1766 on: March 03, 2019, 03:09:10 AM
Badges awarded Ray and Barry :salute: This has been a great challenge to follow and very enjoyable  :like:

As soon as everyone has posted day 30 pic, go and request your badge :tu: Been a pleasure gentlemen  :like:
Thank you!  :cheers: :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1767 on: March 03, 2019, 03:10:09 AM
Congrats on your sharp new badges Ray and Barry :hatsoff: Well deserved :salute:

Thanks and congratulations!  :cheers: :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1768 on: March 03, 2019, 03:10:56 AM
Congratulations to you sir!  :cheers: :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1769 on: March 03, 2019, 03:12:16 AM
Day 30:

(Image removed from quote.)

Some final thoughts to wrap up the challenge

First off, it has been a fun challenge. I really liked being everyone's knives and how they were used. Thanks to everyone for making this challenge a fun one and a memorable one.  :tu:

As I said in an earlier post, I didn't get to do everything I would have liked to do with my fixie, the Ulu. This was partly due to schedule and partly because I've been nursing an injured knee.  When I get the chance, I'll test a few extra uses and post my results back here in this thread, just for a sense of completeness.

In the meantime, I wanted to make list of pro's and con's for this particular knife.

Pro's:

- compact size, very easy to carry
- light weight, again, easy to carry
- well made belt sheath, allowed easy access to the knife, but there was a slight con, also (see below)
- fantastic edge. The chisel grind and D2 steel made this knife very sharp and a great slicer
- In addition to the great edge, the blade shape made this Ulu a great slicer. It can slice equally well with push cuts and pull cuts.
- the overall design was very intuitive to use. At times it felt like I was using a knapped flint 'knife'.
- nice grip. The Ulu design allows fr a variety of grips and a lot of control. With the blade centered under the palm, one's bodyweight can be used to cut straight down with great force.

Con's:

- nice sheath, but replacing the Ulu in the sheath was a bit tricky at times, especially in contrast to sheaths designed for knives with an in-line handle. This wasn't a big problem, but it was a bit slower, and usually a two-handed process
- no truly effective point for piercing. true, there are two 'points' on the Uu, but they are a bit awkward to use. And in the can opening test, using the points, the edge took some damage. I suspect an Ulu with a slightly longer blade and with less curve might allow for a little extra 'point' use.
- blade shape made sharpening a bit tricky.
- small blade made large cutting tasks a bit tricky at times. Again, I think that having the blade extend beyond the width of the handle would make this knife a bit more versatile.
- the chisel edge worked well and could be used either bevel in or bevel out. This gave the Ulu a bit of versatility, but I also found that for some cuts, the blade could veer off to one side. I found the for precise cuts, I had to really focus on the cut to keep it straight. This issue might just be a learning & muscle memory issue, but I never got completely used to it.
- with many cuts, my hand obscured the view of the cut. I found that I had to angle my head off to one side in order to get a clear view of a cut. This was especially tru when cutting up small things, e.g. a garlic clove.

Overall, I think the Ulu is a lot of knife in a small package. It many ways, it seems to work well-above it's size. I never found myself feeling there was a task I couldn't do, although a couple times I did reach for a bigger knife in order to get a task completed a bit more quickly.

Still, despite my overall positive impression, I don't think this is the knife for me. Can it work? Yes. But I think I prefer the ergonomics and familiarity of knives with an in-line handle (as opposed to the Ulu's over-the-edge handle). I don't see the Ulu becoming a "go-to" knife for me. However, I'm very glad I gave it a chance during this challenge. And I'll keep working with it a bit....you never know.....
Excellent review  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD