Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

February Fixie Challenge

Nix · 1866 · 30460

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: February Fixie Challenge
Reply #780 on: February 10, 2019, 09:16:59 PM
Went to the annual whisky expo yesterday so a slow day today.(Image removed from quote.)

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk
Nice  :tu:
A whiskey expo - oh boy  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #781 on: February 10, 2019, 09:18:13 PM

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #782 on: February 10, 2019, 09:18:55 PM
Went to the annual whisky expo yesterday so a slow day today.(Image removed from quote.)

Nice  :tu:
A whiskey expo - oh boy  :cheers:
It's very nice, and way to much whisky to choose from :cheers:

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #783 on: February 10, 2019, 09:19:56 PM
Day 10:

(Oooops, I lost track of my numbers. I entered Day 05 two days in a row and fell behind in my sequence. Back on track with Day 10, today.  :-\)

Making Welsh Rarebit (always called Welsh Rabbit here) for lunch. Recipe calls for 1/2 cup of dark beer.

(Image removed from quote.)

Dutch_Tooler can feel well assured that the cap lifter on the Ulu works very well!   :tu:

Now.....what to do with that leftover beer......  :cheers:
Send it here, I'll take care of it! :drink:

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #784 on: February 10, 2019, 09:20:18 PM
Day 10:

(Oooops, I lost track of my numbers. I entered Day 05 two days in a row and fell behind in my sequence. Back on track with Day 10, today.  :-\)

Making Welsh Rarebit (always called Welsh Rabbit here) for lunch. Recipe calls for 1/2 cup of dark beer.

Dutch_Tooler can feel well assured that the cap lifter on the Ulu works very well!   :tu:

Now.....what to do with that leftover beer......  :cheers:
:rofl:
I’m sure it will come to you! :cheers:

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #785 on: February 10, 2019, 09:22:55 PM
Day #10 - little guy help during the groceries run unpacking, but completely forgot to take the action picture... :facepalm:
Here's a picture nonetheless!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #786 on: February 10, 2019, 09:34:17 PM
 :tu:  That'll work! 

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #787 on: February 10, 2019, 10:06:19 PM
Day #10 - little guy help during the groceries run unpacking, but completely forgot to take the action picture... :facepalm:
Here's a picture nonetheless!

Nice  :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Nix's in-challenge sheath tutorial
Reply #788 on: February 10, 2019, 10:49:06 PM
Nix's Sheath Tutorial -- Part Three

Piecing out the leather.

In the last part of the tutorial, we came up with a design. So far it has cost us a little ink and a scrap of cardboard. Not a big deal. But next we are going to cut into that nice piece of leather, so it’s a good idea to check things over. Is the belt loop on the correct side? Is it big enough? Did we allow enough room for the welt?

Once the design and template seem to be right, it’s time to translate the template into pieces of leather.

The first step for me is to trace out the template onto the leather. Then the sheath profile get cut out from the leather. We’re committed now!

It’s good to be precise with these cuts. I’ve left a bit of margin, which is not helpful, but won’t be a problem.

Next, I cut my welt template out of the master template:

Now you can see why I drew the welt line onto the master template. Using the welt template, I laid out the primary welt on a piece of scrap leather (4mm thick).

Then I cut out the secondary welt template or spacer template from the primary welt template.

I’m only going to use one (1) secondary welt with this sheath. If the handle were thicker, I might consider using an extra welt to give the handle more space in the sheath. Keep in mind, the more layers of leather you have, the tougher it becomes to sew them all together.

After laying out the secondary welt, I realized that I has a scrap piece of leather that would be perfect for my secondary welt. So, I’ll use the scrap instead of cutting out a fresh piece. The scrap is a bit oversize, but that won’t pose a problem. The excess will get trimmed off after glue-up.

The next few steps will be: 1) cutting in some grooves on the inside of the sheath to help make folding easier, 2) gluing in the welts, and 3) sewing down the belt loop.

However, the end of the belt loop should not be left square. Sharp corners on a sheath are not strong and easily snag, leading to torn stitches and a failed belt loop. So we really should  shape the end of the belt loop. It is easiest to do this now, while the leather is dry and flat.

Here was my technique:

I made a straight line across the strap. I then used the rim of a jar to trace a curve from one side of the line to the end of the loop. Then the same on the other side. My two curves meet in the center line (basic geometry) and give me a clean shape to stitch down later.

The excess got trimmed off:

So, I now have my leather pieced and ready to start assembling. I used the template to mark a center line on the inside of the sheath. I also marked out the position for the welt to be glued in. Those lines will be helpful for the next steps.

That as far as I got today. Hopefully, I’ll get more done tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:50:59 PM by Nix »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #789 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:09 AM
Gorgeous knives and way to go Nix!!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #790 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:39 AM
Thanks, Barry.

I hope I'm not being too boring with a fairly mundane subject. There were a few people interested, so I also hope this is helpful.

Some more tricks and tips to follow......

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #791 on: February 11, 2019, 02:05:54 AM
Thanks, Barry.

I hope I'm not being too boring with a fairly mundane subject. There were a few people interested, so I also hope this is helpful.

I’m one of the interested ones and it is not boring at all. You are doing an excellent job! Looking forward to the rest.  :cheers: :hatsoff:

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #792 on: February 11, 2019, 02:08:22 AM
Thanks, Barry.

I’m one of the interested ones and it is not boring at all. You are doing an excellent job! Looking forward to the rest.  :cheers: :hatsoff:

:iagree: :salute:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #793 on: February 11, 2019, 02:11:31 AM
Andrew

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #794 on: February 11, 2019, 02:46:58 AM
Day 7-10 Catch up. Carried my Coast again at work Friday, though it wasn't needed this time. Went ice fishing up north this weekend, caught a whole lotta nothing. But my Mora rode on my hip all weekend and saw use trimming lines, cutting food, helping get the fire going, opening a few cans of everyone's favorite beverage(it was about 15 degrees F with 30 mph winds, the gloves were not coming off)

I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #795 on: February 11, 2019, 03:49:21 AM
Ice fishing is funny that way. Some days you hit 'em, some days you don't.

Still, always fun to get out!   :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #796 on: February 11, 2019, 06:12:13 AM
Day 7-10 Catch up. Carried my Coast again at work Friday, though it wasn't needed this time. Went ice fishing up north this weekend, caught a whole lotta nothing. But my Mora rode on my hip all weekend and saw use trimming lines, cutting food, helping get the fire going, opening a few cans of everyone's favorite beverage(it was about 15 degrees F with 30 mph winds, the gloves were not coming off)

Great photos! And great usages.  :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #797 on: February 11, 2019, 06:13:19 AM
Ice fishing is funny that way. Some days you hit 'em, some days you don't.

Still, always fun to get out!   :tu:

Ice fishing...have never done it, but it is on my list of things to do!  :tu:

se Offline RF52

Reply #798 on: February 11, 2019, 08:00:03 AM
Day 12

Forgot to put in the day :facepalm:

us Offline KBM3

Reply #799 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:28 AM
Day 10

Currently sitting at the airport, waiting for the wife to arrive.  Not much cutting done today, mostly cleaning up the messes I made  while she was away!!

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

se Offline RF52

Reply #800 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:12 AM
Nix's Sheath Tutorial -- Part Three

Piecing out the leather.

In the last part of the tutorial, we came up with a design. So far it has cost us a little ink and a scrap of cardboard. Not a big deal. But next we are going to cut into that nice piece of leather, so it’s a good idea to check things over. Is the belt loop on the correct side? Is it big enough? Did we allow enough room for the welt?

Once the design and template seem to be right, it’s time to translate the template into pieces of leather.

The first step for me is to trace out the template onto the leather. Then the sheath profile get cut out from the leather. We’re committed now!

It’s good to be precise with these cuts. I’ve left a bit of margin, which is not helpful, but won’t be a problem.

Next, I cut my welt template out of the master template:

Now you can see why I drew the welt line onto the master template. Using the welt template, I laid out the primary welt on a piece of scrap leather (4mm thick).

Then I cut out the secondary welt template or spacer template from the primary welt template.

I’m only going to use one (1) secondary welt with this sheath. If the handle were thicker, I might consider using an extra welt to give the handle more space in the sheath. Keep in mind, the more layers of leather you have, the tougher it becomes to sew them all together.

After laying out the secondary welt, I realized that I has a scrap piece of leather that would be perfect for my secondary welt. So, I’ll use the scrap instead of cutting out a fresh piece. The scrap is a bit oversize, but that won’t pose a problem. The excess will get trimmed off after glue-up.

The next few steps will be: 1) cutting in some grooves on the inside of the sheath to help make folding easier, 2) gluing in the welts, and 3) sewing down the belt loop.

However, the end of the belt loop should not be left square. Sharp corners on a sheath are not strong and easily snag, leading to torn stitches and a failed belt loop. So we really should  shape the end of the belt loop. It is easiest to do this now, while the leather is dry and flat.

Here was my technique:

I made a straight line across the strap. I then used the rim of a jar to trace a curve from one side of the line to the end of the loop. Then the same on the other side. My two curves meet in the center line (basic geometry) and give me a clean shape to stitch down later.

The excess got trimmed off:

So, I now have my leather pieced and ready to start assembling. I used the template to mark a center line on the inside of the sheath. I also marked out the position for the welt to be glued in. Those lines will be helpful for the next steps.

That as far as I got today. Hopefully, I’ll get more done tomorrow.
Keep up the good work Nix! Great tutorial :like: Can't wait for the next part :cheers: And it's definitely not boring!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #801 on: February 11, 2019, 12:54:12 PM
Stuck at work due to the storm we're having.  Here's a vanity picture until we get into some fun together!
IMG_20190211_065343.jpg
* IMG_20190211_065343.jpg (Filesize: 370.59 KB)
Barry

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #802 on: February 11, 2019, 01:28:28 PM
Day 11:
Time for a tea
Andrew

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #803 on: February 11, 2019, 01:31:03 PM
Green tea Sak? Looks like something illegal :pok:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #804 on: February 11, 2019, 01:32:09 PM
 :rofl:
Barry

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #805 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:59 PM
Shhhh.  :whistle:

Just kidding.
green tea, peppermint, ginger, goji berries, not sure about it yet it's a new one for me.
I have an Oolong Chai to use  as back up.
Andrew

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #806 on: February 11, 2019, 01:55:10 PM
Some good options there, enjoy  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #807 on: February 11, 2019, 02:04:35 PM
Day 10

Currently sitting at the airport, waiting for the wife to arrive.  Not much cutting done today, mostly cleaning up the messes I made  while she was away!!

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Airport duty...I know about that!  Nice  :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #808 on: February 11, 2019, 02:13:17 PM
Stuck at work due to the storm we're having.  Here's a vanity picture until we get into some fun together!
Oh boy! Getting caught in those are no fun at all. Last bad winter - 8 miles away, usually a 15 minute drive, took 6 1/2 hours. Some didn’t get home for 2 days.  :dwts:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #809 on: February 11, 2019, 02:14:11 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85