Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

February Fixie Challenge

Nix · 1866 · 30928

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: February Fixie Challenge
Reply #840 on: February 12, 2019, 05:36:50 AM
Nix - great post and photos. Well written also!  :cheers: :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #841 on: February 12, 2019, 05:37:00 AM

At the end of this challenge, I was going to give an overall review of the knife but today's challenge already told me all I need to know. This is a great little knife that handles small tasks easily. However, if I HAD to have only one knife on me, this would not be it. It makes a great addition or supplemental blade.

I love the way these challenges can help illuminate a tool's virtues and limitations.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #842 on: February 12, 2019, 05:38:33 AM

Thanks, Ray. I'll confess to getting a little cross-eyed by the time I finished typing that one up.....  :rofl:

us Offline KBM3

Reply #843 on: February 12, 2019, 06:04:01 AM
And a huge thank you to you Nix. Your leather posts are great.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #844 on: February 12, 2019, 06:57:41 AM
 :iagree:. Nice job Nix!
Barry

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #845 on: February 12, 2019, 07:11:37 AM
Great write up Nix and a great help for anyone considering this type of project  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #846 on: February 12, 2019, 09:01:58 AM
Day #11 - opened a bag of cookies.
(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5
Have one for me!  :tu:
I do miss my sweets...especially ice cream
Will do!
Nix's Sheath Tutorial -- Part Four

Prepping the sheath for sewing.

In the last part we got the requisite pieces for the sheath cut out of our stock piece of leather. So far, so good. But before we get to stitching it all together, prudence calls for a bit of prep-work. A little preparation now, will make things tidier and nicer later.

The first thing we’ll stitch up with be the belt loop. You can't stitch in the belt loop once the main body of the sheath is closed up.  :facepalm:  And once the belt loop is stitched in, it is very hard to work on.

So, before it gets stitched down, let’s clean it up a bit and stain it.

If you look closely, I did a slightly sloppy job cutting out the loop and the arched tip (I did that on purpose for this tutorial….  :whistle:).

To smooth that out, I used a sanding block. Sandpaper (or a sanding block) is a great tool for shaping leather. In addition to smoothing out the curved contour of the belt loop, I used the sanding block to bevel the rough side edges of the belt loop. 

Next I used a chamfering tool to round the corners of the smooth side of the belt loop. Since the smooth side will be folded over, you won’t really see it, but, having the corners knocked off will make slipping the sheath on and off a little bit easier. So why not? 

My tool dug into the smooth leather a bit. I didn’t like that. I probably should have used a craft knife to do this job, but the chamfering tool was handy.

The other tool in the picture above is a fancy burnishing tool. This is a good time to talk about burnishing:

A cut piece of leather has one smooth side (the top grain) and 3 rough sides, the back and two edges. These rough sides can be smoothed out, especially the edges, with a bit of brisk rubbing. The edges can be dampened, usually with water, and then rubbed with a hard object or tool. A burnishing tool is most commonly made of wood or bone. I like these wooden ones because of the grooves that can pinch down the edges. However, a simple dowel or smooth stick could work equally well.

By rubbing the damp edges with a bit of vigor, the fibers mat down and smooth out. This increased the durability and weather resistance of the edges of the leather. So, not only does it look more professinal, but it is also functional.

Again, once the belt loop is stitched down, we won’t be able to burnish it, so now is the time.

In this close up, you can see how the edge is smoothed out and become a bit glossy. The leather has been moistened with water, but nothing else.

We’ll do some more with the bel loop later, but for now it is in pretty good shape. We’ve smoothed it, rounded the edges, and burnished the edges.

Now, let’s get those welt pieces glued in and trimmed up.

To prepare the welt pieces we need to skive the ends. ‘Skiving’ is the process of  tapering a piece of leather to provide a transition from a thick area to a thin area.  One end of our welt will be thinned down.

We’re are going to use two welt pieces. If we didn’t taper them down, there would be gaps in the edges of the sheath. Not a problem, really, but gaps could be an area where water could get it. And gaps don’t look very professional. So, it’s worth doing, and only takes a moment.

Here, I’ve used the ulu to thin the primary welt as it approaches the fold in the sheath. The blade will be thin here and we don’t need a thick welt. Plus, a thin well will make it easier to fold the sheath over.

I do the same thing with the secondary welt to provide a transition for the ‘two welt’ section  to the ‘single welt’ section. Here are the skived welts in place:

Now one last preparation step. This is optional, but seems to help. I’m going to cut a couple of grooves on the inside of the sheath to help it fold around the knife more easily. This is a small detail, but seems to pay off.

I’ve marked my groove lines next to the center line of the sheath. I’ve angled them inward slightly.

In this case, I’ve used a grooving tool to cut these grooves, but I’ve used a craft knife to do this in the past. Just be careful!

You can see that my grooves (spaced about a handle-width apart) fall inside the welt line. My welt won’t be binding up the fold. This is a good thing.

Things are looking pretty good at this point. Not perfect, but good enough.

The belt loop has been prepared. The welts have been shaped to flow smoothly from thick to thin. Everything is lining up nicely. We have some folding grooves cut into the inside to make folding easier.

I think we can glue in the welts now.

Again, I’m using contact cement to glue my welts in. This isn’t necessary, but sure makes things easier.

With this stuff, apply glue to both sides of the material and then let dry for 15 minutes or so before sticking the pieces together.

Once the primary welt gets glued in, the secondary welt gets glued in place.

After the glue has had a chance to dry, we can start to think about dying issues.

Once the sheath is closed, it will be hard to dye the interior. We might as well apply some dye to the inside now. I only dye the top third….nobody will notice that the bottom is not dyed.

I’m using a water-based dye. It is easy to work with, but….it does run if it gets wet. Oiling the sheath later will help with that, but even so, some running under damp conditions can occur. Oil based dyes might be a better choice, but my local shoe repair shop carried this dye, so that’s what I use.

The same goes for the belt loop. Once it is stitched down, it will be difficult to dye, so we might as well dye that area now.

It would be quite reasonable to dye the whole sheath now, but I find I prefer to wait.

I know I’m going to trim the edges and dye them after the sheath is stitched up. And I find it easier to see the stitching marks on un-dyed leather. So, for those reasons, I’ll wait to finish dying the sheath until the final stages.

But, now that the belt loop has been dyed, I burnished it a bit more. It won’t look much better than this once it’s done, so you better be satisfied with it now.

I think it’s OK. Oiling and sealing it will give it a slightly more finished look, but, as it is, it’s OK for me.

Now, before we finish up for the day, let’s do a couple of extra things.

One, we’ll trim the excess material off. The welts were slightly oversized, we can trim those off now. This is important to do before we mark out stitching lines.

And lastly, I’ve damped the leather. This is called ‘casing’. Leather is dampened and left to rest so that the fibers become evenly moist. You want damp, not wet or soggy. Just sponging with a little water is all that is needed.

Moistening the leather softens the fibers and allows them to bend and flex. It also makes tooling a bit easier. Since we are going to fold the sheath in half tomorrow, casing and resting the leather overnight will be helpful.

I really moistened the belt loop and folded that over, more or less into position. That will be ready to sew in place tomorrow.

The cased leather gets stored in a plastic bag to keep it from drying out (which would defeat the purpose, after all.).

Thanks for staying with me (if you read this far). We did a lot of small things today, none of which were very interesting. However, these little details will make a difference tomorrow.

So far, we designed our sheath and made a template. We used the template to cut out the necessary pieces for the sheath. And we’ve gotten these pieces prep’ed for assembly.

Tomorrow, we’ll actually sew up the sheath and start finishing it.
Keeps getting awesomer every new section of the tutorial!

@All,
Great uses and pics guys! We're almost halfway! :cheers:

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #847 on: February 12, 2019, 09:47:20 AM
Day 11

Out in the shop and I gathered some cardboard trash to cut up. Up to now, I have only used my knife for minimal cutting tasks. I want a good challenge that will really let me see how this knife handles tough cutting jobs.

Here is the pile to test the knife.

The edge was still sharp and easily cut through the cardboard. I did not time the entire process but it was a little slow because my hand started to get some hot spots. The edges of the handle were digging into my hand as I applied a tight grip and started to cut. But it did the job.

At the end of this challenge, I was going to give an overall review of the knife but today's challenge already told me all I need to know. This is a great little knife that handles small tasks easily. However, if I HAD to have only one knife on me, this would not be it. It makes a great addition or supplemental blade.

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice work. Cardboard can be pretty tough on an edge.
Andrew

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #848 on: February 12, 2019, 10:01:22 AM
Day12:
Fruit for dessert after teatime at work tonight.
Andrew

se Offline RF52

Reply #849 on: February 12, 2019, 10:16:39 AM
Day12:
Looks yummy :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

se Offline RF52

Reply #850 on: February 12, 2019, 10:22:22 AM
It's great to see so many different uses and knives, really enjoying this challenge guys :like: :hatsoff:

This month is going fast!

Day 14:

Not much use today, went home early from work because I wasnt feeling well...
Atleast I got to cut some more labels :rofl:
And opened a set of warm underwear.

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #851 on: February 12, 2019, 11:31:39 AM
Day12:

Thanks.
In this challenge I’m seeing that I do a lot of food prep.
Andrew

se Offline RF52

Reply #852 on: February 12, 2019, 11:32:46 AM
Day12:

Thanks.
Nothing wrong with that when it looks tasty :like:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #853 on: February 12, 2019, 12:36:14 PM
Early morning recap for day 11. Knife good, sheath bad. Thing is driving me crazy rubbing against my side. Sits just high enough that the nylon clears the top of my pants by a few inches.

Knife is still proving to be quite solid for the paltry price of entry. Tip came a bit more rounded off than you'd hope for, but I may just take a file to it if it actually bothers me.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #854 on: February 12, 2019, 02:34:08 PM

Thanks, Ray. I'll confess to getting a little cross-eyed by the time I finished typing that one up.....  :rofl:
I can imagine! I don’t think I could have even kept keeping the photo’s in order.  :cheers: :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #855 on: February 12, 2019, 02:41:47 PM
Day 11

Out in the shop and I gathered some cardboard trash to cut up. Up to now, I have only used my knife for minimal cutting tasks. I want a good challenge that will really let me see how this knife handles tough cutting jobs.

Here is the pile to test the knife.

The edge was still sharp and easily cut through the cardboard. I did not time the entire process but it was a little slow because my hand started to get some hot spots. The edges of the handle were digging into my hand as I applied a tight grip and started to cut. But it did the job.

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great post and photos. I agree on your assessment of time needed to find out if a knife is going to work or not. I also think it gives us more time to figure a way to work around some of the issues.
My surprise so far is everything has been done with the fixie and I haven’t even had to use my backup so far. :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #856 on: February 12, 2019, 02:44:21 PM
Day12:
Oh man, I could have had kiwi with mine last night!  :ahhh
Looks great!  :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #857 on: February 12, 2019, 02:46:06 PM
It's great to see so many different uses and knives, really enjoying this challenge guys :like: :hatsoff:

Day 14:

Not much use today, went home early from work because I wasnt feeling well...
Atleast I got to cut some more labels :rofl:
And opened a set of warm underwear.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Hope you get to feeling better. Nice photos and usages!  :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #858 on: February 12, 2019, 02:47:35 PM
Early morning recap for day 11. Knife good, sheath bad. Thing is driving me crazy rubbing against my side. Sits just high enough that the nylon clears the top of my pants by a few inches.

Knife is still proving to be quite solid for the paltry price of entry. Tip came a bit more rounded off than you'd hope for, but I may just take a file to it if it actually bothers me.

Oh, that would bug me too. I don't like a sheath that rubs, especially nylon, which can be scratchy.

Sometimes with use and sharpening, I've slightly rounded the tip on a knife. I had an Izzula that got rounded that way. It sort of bothered me, but I also found that the rounded tip allowed for some nice sharp slicing. In the end I left it as it was.  :dunno:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #859 on: February 12, 2019, 02:49:01 PM

:iagree:

This challenge is flying by! 

Hope you are feeling better soon.  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #860 on: February 12, 2019, 02:49:26 PM
Day12:

Thanks.
Nothing wrong with that when it looks tasty :like:

Agree on the food usage...some of which was a little to messy to be grabbing the IPad for a photo after use.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #861 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:06 PM
@ Awl,

Thanks for the encouragement on the sheath tutorial. It's been fun so far......  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #862 on: February 12, 2019, 02:54:23 PM
Day 12 photo
Breakfast time again!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #863 on: February 12, 2019, 02:59:23 PM
Lookin' tasty, Ray.  :like:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #864 on: February 12, 2019, 03:01:12 PM
Day 12 photo
Breakfast time again!
nice :drool:
Andrew

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #865 on: February 12, 2019, 03:04:42 PM
I'll agree with that! :drool:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #866 on: February 12, 2019, 03:04:58 PM
Just popping in to say, Great Challenge all  :salute:.  A fixed blade is what most are used to especially if exposed to kitchen prep when younger.  My mom and grandma both allowed us to use the bigger knives in the kitchen once we "mastered" the paring knife.

I do a lot of prep work with my belt knife of the day if its not too wide of blade stock.  Yesterday I used my Nimravus exclusively in the kitchen.  Tactical prep work  :rofl:

Any who, great job everyone and terrific pictures along the way  :like: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #867 on: February 12, 2019, 03:06:40 PM
Yesterday I used my Nimravus exclusively in the kitchen.  Tactical prep work  :rofl:

:rofl:   

The Nim is a nice knife!   :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #868 on: February 12, 2019, 03:21:59 PM
I agree.  Its looks and sheath scream tactical and while true enough, its surprisingly an agile knife for non tactical endeavors.  I even like the sheath more than I originally thought.  I typically carry something less "agressive" looking however its really proving to be a good buy.  I'm glad the opportunity came about with this knife.  The military guy I got it from just didn't get along with it.  He went with a folder.  I played around with it for a little then put it away.  I found myself picking it up again and glad I did. 

Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #869 on: February 12, 2019, 03:23:17 PM
Thanks guys, a couple of days will do wonders :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00