Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

February Fixie Challenge

Nix · 1866 · 29828

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: February Fixie Challenge
Reply #870 on: February 12, 2019, 04:00:15 PM
Just popping in to say, Great Challenge all  :salute:.  A fixed blade is what most are used to especially if exposed to kitchen prep when younger.  My mom and grandma both allowed us to use the bigger knives in the kitchen once we "mastered" the paring knife.

I do a lot of prep work with my belt knife of the day if its not too wide of blade stock.  Yesterday I used my Nimravus exclusively in the kitchen.  Tactical prep work  :rofl:

Any who, great job everyone and terrific pictures along the way  :like:
That is a nice knife! Two styles!  As much as I like the tanto style blade, the drop point would be my pick of the two. Enjoy :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #872 on: February 12, 2019, 05:50:07 PM
Day 12

Added some new wood in the gecko's house, so the Smith had a quick pose with the residents and new furniture. :tu:
IMG_2567.jpg
* IMG_2567.jpg (Filesize: 94.77 KB)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #873 on: February 12, 2019, 05:57:20 PM
Day 12

Added some new wood in the gecko's house, so the Smith had a quick pose with the residents and new furniture. :tu:
Nice looking gecko...and Smith!  :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #874 on: February 12, 2019, 06:01:16 PM
Gecko seems to approve of your choice of tools....  :D

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #875 on: February 12, 2019, 06:28:31 PM
Looking good, Borg. Have you done anything to your handle yet?
Nice looking wood, there.

Yes, worked on it today  :tu:

So from this...

To this..

I'm happy with it now, i took off the finger grooves, made the whole thing smaller and rounded it all off better  :tu:

Day 12, all oiled up and ready for tomorrow

Sheath next, thanks to Nix's excellent tutorial i think its doable without too much fuss, except for the sewing but i will worry about that when the time comes  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #876 on: February 12, 2019, 07:10:49 PM
Nice!  I like the new look.   :like:

(And we'll get to the sewing later today....  ;))

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #877 on: February 12, 2019, 07:19:49 PM
Day 12:

I got started early making a marinade for an Indian-inspired pork stew, and then getting the pork marinating.

Used the ulu to split and peel an onion. For the ulu, this requires two cuts. I didn't control the blade very well and you can see how one of the cuts veered off the center line. Not a problem. The onion got grated after this, so it really made no difference. But this wouldn't have happed with a chef's knife:

Next up, I peeled some garlic and ginger. I frequently hear people say the the easiest way to peel ginger is with a spoon. I don't get that. Why go dig up a spoon, when you already have a a knife in your hand?  I used the sharp spine of the ulu to scrape the ginger, the blade to trim it up, before it all got grated and added to the marinade.

Once the marinade was made, the pork loin need to get chunked up.

Big piece of meat for a little knife. You can see here that the ulu can't cut cleanly through this loin with a single cut. I ended up using two-three slices to get through the meat and cube it.

Despite it's inherent limitations, the ulu did a great job. My complaints are fairly trivial. (And dinner is smelling good already.  :D)

se Offline RF52

Reply #878 on: February 12, 2019, 07:40:40 PM
Day 12

Cool pic :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

se Offline RF52

Reply #879 on: February 12, 2019, 07:42:23 PM

So from this...

(Image removed from quote.)

To this..

I'm happy with it now, i took off the finger grooves, made the whole thing smaller and rounded it all off better  :tu:

Sheath next, thanks to Nix's excellent tutorial i think its doable without too much fuss, except for the sewing but i will worry about that when the time comes  :tu:
Looks a lot better now :like: Good job :hatsoff:

se Offline RF52

Reply #880 on: February 12, 2019, 07:44:15 PM
Day 12:

I got started early making a marinade for an Indian-inspired pork stew, and then getting the pork marinating.

Used the ulu to split and peel an onion. For the ulu, this requires two cuts. I didn't control the blade very well and you can see how one of the cuts veered off the center line. Not a problem. The onion got grated after this, so it really made no difference. But this wouldn't have happed with a chef's knife:

Next up, I peeled some garlic and ginger. I frequently hear people say the the easiest way to peel ginger is with a spoon. I don't get that. Why go dig up a spoon, when you already have a a knife in your hand?  I used the sharp spine of the ulu to scrape the ginger, the blade to trim it up, before it all got grated and added to the marinade.

Big piece of meat for a little knife. You can see here that the ulu can't cut cleanly through this loin with a single cut. I ended up using two-three slices to get through the meat and cube it.

Despite it's inherent limitations, the ulu did a great job. My complaints are fairly trivial. (And dinner is smelling good already.  :D)
It sure seems like a handy little blade :like:

hr Offline styx

Reply #881 on: February 12, 2019, 08:42:15 PM
day 12: right tool for the right job?

2019-02-12_08-32-50
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

se Offline RF52

Reply #882 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:01 PM

2019-02-12_08-32-50
Maybe if you plan on chopping it to pieces :rofl:

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #883 on: February 12, 2019, 09:15:44 PM
Cool looking Gecko... I mean, looks like it will be a tasty pork stew... I mean, awesome looking fixies! Yes, that's what I meant! :facepalm:

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

hr Offline styx

Reply #884 on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:24 PM

2019-02-12_08-32-50

actually it has gone to hell so just might chop it
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #885 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47:19 PM
Day #12 - mail call! Opened a package containing a new fixie!

Disclaimer: you'll most likely recognize it, although it's but a clone...

I have to be honest, I like all things blade, but so far, I've been more of a folding knife (SAK's and others) kinda guy. Mainly due to the fact that most of my weekly time is spent in an office environment, therefore, justifying the need for a proper fixed blade, has never really been a priority.

Participating in this challenge, has made me realize some of the benefits of carrying one and also some of the limitations that come with it. For the reason already mentioned above, I chose a very small blade that I could easily conceal and neck carry. I already knew I couldn't perform many of the tasks that a bigger blade can, but I find myself wanting to use it more only to realize that there's plenty it cannot do.
Once I saw the knife, that arrived today, online at a great price, I decided to order it. This one is still small enough to avoid raising too many eyebrows, but big enough to perform some of the tasks I find myself unable to perform with the fixie I chose for this challenge.
As I said in the beginning, I intend to use the same blade throughout the challenge, so I'll carry this one in my backpack as backup, and will use it when my main one isn't up to the task. Hopefully, I will not have any more "no use days" until the end of the challenge.

I must apologize for purchasing, yet another clone, but I really wanted to make sure I can justify a fixed blade in my daily life, before I dive into the good, more expensive stuff!

se Offline RF52

Reply #886 on: February 12, 2019, 10:49:19 PM

I have to be honest, I like all things blade, but so far, I've been more of a folding knife (SAK's and others) kinda guy. Mainly due to the fact that most of my weekly time is spent in an office environment, therefore, justifying the need for a proper fixed blade, has never really been a priority.

Participating in this challenge, has made me realize some of the benefits of carrying one and also some of the limitations that come with it. For the reason already mentioned above, I chose a very small blade that I could easily conceal and neck carry. I already knew I couldn't perform many of the tasks that a bigger blade can, but I find myself wanting to use it more only to realize that there's plenty it cannot do.
Once I saw the knife, that arrived today, online at a great price, I decided to order it. This one is still small enough to avoid raising too many eyebrows, but big enough to perform some of the tasks I find myself unable to perform with the fixie I chose for this challenge.
As I said in the beginning, I intend to use the same blade throughout the challenge, so I'll carry this one in my backpack as backup, and will use it when my main one isn't up to the task. Hopefully, I will not have any more "no use days" until the end of the challenge.

I must apologize for purchasing, yet another clone, but I really wanted to make sure I can justify a fixed blade in my daily life, before I dive into the good, more expensive stuff!(Image removed from quote.)

Nice! A new blade is always fun :like:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #887 on: February 12, 2019, 10:57:11 PM

So from this...

To this..

Oh boy,  :rofl: you have turned that into a great looking knife!  :drool: :cheers:
Can’t wait to see your upcoming sheath for it!  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #888 on: February 12, 2019, 11:01:15 PM
Day 12:

That ulu is like the Little Engine that could...it is doing it.  :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #889 on: February 12, 2019, 11:02:18 PM

2019-02-12_08-32-50

:rofl:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #890 on: February 12, 2019, 11:03:43 PM

2019-02-12_08-32-50
Not my first choice but looks like it worked for you! Nice  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #891 on: February 12, 2019, 11:04:00 PM
Hopefully getting home tomorrow.  Ice can sure put a crimp in things!

IMG_20190212_170328.jpg
* IMG_20190212_170328.jpg (Filesize: 370.98 KB)
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #892 on: February 12, 2019, 11:05:40 PM

2019-02-12_08-32-50

actually it has gone to hell so just might chop it
:rofl:
So no R.I.P. then  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #893 on: February 12, 2019, 11:11:01 PM

I must apologize for purchasing, yet another clone, but I really wanted to make sure I can justify a fixed blade in my daily life, before I dive into the good, more expensive stuff!(Image removed from quote.)

No need to apologize - it is some sound reasoning on your part. I was going to start this Challenge with the Esee Izula but after over 2 years of caring it I was ready for a different fixie and went with the Triathlete. I think you will like it.  :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #894 on: February 12, 2019, 11:12:07 PM

Nice! A new blade is always fun :like:

And that too!  :iagree:

se Offline RF52

Reply #895 on: February 12, 2019, 11:14:26 PM

Still stuck at work?!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #896 on: February 12, 2019, 11:26:19 PM

Sorry to hear you still there! Black ice is not good for sure...I’v had a couple of oh boy moments and they let you know your heart is a working!  :whistle:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #897 on: February 12, 2019, 11:56:25 PM
Thanks guys  :tu:

RF i cant wait to see the new blade and bog Oak handle :tu:  I used to come across bog wood a lot but it was always too soft to do anything with, needs a bigger tree buried deeper i think, one day  :tu:

:iagree:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

se Offline RF52

Reply #898 on: February 12, 2019, 11:59:28 PM
Thanks guys  :tu:

RF i cant wait to see the new blade and bog Oak handle :tu:  I used to come across bog wood a lot but it was always too soft to do anything with, needs a bigger tree buried deeper i think, one day  :tu:

:iagree:
The new knifeblade was not quite as good as I had hoped so I might get a different blade for the bog oak :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #899 on: February 13, 2019, 01:29:08 AM
Yes, but I just unburied the car and have one more shift before my long weekend!  I have a Buck 119 that I inherited from my uncle waiting at home that I want to try here.  I'm looking forward to seeing what it's got!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD