Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

February Fixie Challenge

Nix · 1866 · 29924

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: February Fixie Challenge
Reply #90 on: January 27, 2019, 07:12:31 PM
I did not realize that only two (2) very distinguished members have earned this badge so far..... :o....

Move over, Alan and Noa!  This unruly mob is moving in!   :ahhh

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #91 on: January 27, 2019, 07:52:18 PM
I'm preparing the little guy for the challenge.
I started taking it with me once in a while, in anticipation, and realized it would be even easier to carry on an office environment, if it was smaller.

So, it's now down to 12cm (about 3.5cm smaller). Just need to put a proper edge in it, and I'm good to go!
I'll post a pic, once it's finished!

Sent from my Redmi Note 5
My fixie is ready and waiting for the challenge to begin.
This will certainly be a challenge for me, as I'm not used to carrying a fixed blade, even more so having such little cutting length.
I intended to use it as a neck knife, and it will be my only fixie through the duration of the challenge.

Now, the before and after.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #92 on: January 27, 2019, 08:06:39 PM
Say, that looks great!

:like:   :tu:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #93 on: January 27, 2019, 08:15:06 PM
Interesting challenge.  Surprised no one has considered a fixed blade NECK KNIFE configuration.

If in office setting, carry under that fancy Neck tie.

I unfortunately will not be able participate, I and Mrs. have a thawcation planned, departing on 2/13 and returning 8 or 9 days later out of the country.   

My neighbor is from NW Alaska, and uses a Ulu in her kitchen, and out on the deck for barbecues.  She is very good with it, suspecting she can even trim the wings off a black fly if she wanted.

Her husband is with NOAA, and they met while he was doing ice research and she was skinning seals for her dad and uncles.  I also suspect she is snaring the neighborhood rabbits, as there are not many tracks in the snow of late.

I would want her on my team if ever a survival event occurs.

I was considering it unit I remembered there is one small problem with the necker idea - I don't have a necker  :facepalm:
To be fair that is mostly due to my general distaste for most configurations I've seen out there
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:18:10 PM by styx »
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #94 on: January 27, 2019, 08:17:42 PM
Say, that looks great!

:like:   :tu:
Thanks Nix! :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: January 27, 2019, 09:56:39 PM
Interesting challenge.  Surprised no one has considered a fixed blade NECK KNIFE configuration.

If in office setting, carry under that fancy Neck tie.

I unfortunately will not be able participate, I and Mrs. have a thawcation planned, departing on 2/13 and returning 8 or 9 days later out of the country.   

My neighbor is from NW Alaska, and uses a Ulu in her kitchen, and out on the deck for barbecues.  She is very good with it, suspecting she can even trim the wings off a black fly if she wanted.

Her husband is with NOAA, and they met while he was doing ice research and she was skinning seals for her dad and uncles.  I also suspect she is snaring the neighborhood rabbits, as there are not many tracks in the snow of late.

I would want her on my team if ever a survival event occurs.

Oh yeah, definitely on the team!  :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #96 on: January 27, 2019, 10:26:23 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #97 on: January 28, 2019, 12:10:05 AM
I did not realize that only two (2) very distinguished members have earned this badge so far..... :o....

(Image removed from quote.)

Move over, Alan and Noa!  This unruly mob is moving in!   :ahhh
I would have thought a whole lot more would have earned this already.  :dunno:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #98 on: January 28, 2019, 12:14:56 AM
I started taking it with me once in a while, in anticipation, and realized it would be even easier to carry on an office environment, if it was smaller.

So, it's now down to 12cm (about 3.5cm smaller). Just need to put a proper edge in it, and I'm good to go!

This will certainly be a challenge for me, as I'm not used to carrying a fixed blade, even more so having such little cutting length.
I intended to use it as a neck knife, and it will be my only fixie through the duration of the challenge.

Now, the before and after.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

My neck knives are in storage. The tanto style blade is very nice, but then again I do have a soft spot for tanto’s!  :like: :tu:

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #99 on: January 28, 2019, 08:22:33 AM

Now, the before and after.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

My neck knives are in storage. The tanto style blade is very nice, but then again I do have a soft spot for tanto’s!  :like: :tu:
Sorry to disappoint but, the tanto blade no longer exists... It's the before picture :facepalm:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #100 on: January 28, 2019, 02:06:24 PM
I’m going to have a look at what could work for me before jumping in. Will let you know before the month starts  :)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #101 on: January 28, 2019, 03:26:44 PM
Hope you can join in, Max.  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: January 28, 2019, 03:42:00 PM

Sorry to disappoint but, the tanto blade no longer exists... It's the before picture :facepalm:

:sa: :dwts: :poh:
Ok, I’ve calmed down... :rofl:
You did a fantastic job on that! Redoing the blade - looks great and then you shortened it. Very nice!  :cheers: :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #103 on: January 28, 2019, 03:46:29 PM
I’m going to have a look at what could work for me before jumping in. Will let you know before the month starts  :)
We hope you have something that will work! Nice to see what others come up.  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #104 on: January 28, 2019, 05:57:20 PM
We hope you have something that will work! Nice to see what others come up.  :tu:

Tough one for me as I'm not a big collector, and normally only carry on my person outside work hours. But I can pick from one of these and keep it close at hand during the day, and carry after hours.

I think the Hubectus is too large - even in Africa?  ???

And the necks are too small and I've never really warmed to them as EDC.  :dunno:

Probably will select the Smith hand forged (3rd down on right) as it's a good general purpose and oozes character.
IMG_2196.jpg
* IMG_2196.jpg (Filesize: 206.44 KB)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

hr Offline styx

Reply #105 on: January 28, 2019, 08:07:19 PM
still a nice collection
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #106 on: January 28, 2019, 09:42:06 PM

Tough one for me as I'm not a big collector, and normally only carry on my person outside work hours. But I can pick from one of these and keep it close at hand during the day, and carry after hours.

I think the Hubectus is too large - even in Africa?  ???

And the necks are too small and I've never really warmed to them as EDC.  :dunno:

Probably will select the Smith hand forged (3rd down on right) as it's a good general purpose and oozes character.
You need to bring the Hubectus here to Texas, it would be right at home!  :woohoo:
Wow...nice selection to have to pick one from! The Smith sounds like a nice one and looks good also!  :like: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #107 on: January 28, 2019, 10:40:13 PM
Thanks guys - looking forward to mixing it up with some fixies in Feb!  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #108 on: January 28, 2019, 10:45:31 PM
Excellent!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #109 on: January 28, 2019, 10:46:23 PM
Fixed-blade Fellowship:

1. Nix
2. RF52
3. FInixNOver
4. sak60
5. Higgins617
6. Barry Rowland
7. styx
8. Rapid Ray
9. Max Stone

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #110 on: January 28, 2019, 10:55:25 PM
This is turning out to be a pretty good challenge!  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: January 28, 2019, 10:59:36 PM
Should be fun. And as long as everybody ends up with all the fingers they started with, and Styx doesn't end up in jail, I think it will turn out to be a good challenge!   :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #112 on: January 28, 2019, 11:04:43 PM
Should be fun. And as long as everybody ends up with all the fingers they started with, and Styx doesn't end up in jail, I think it will turn out to be a good challenge!   :tu:

Agreed, will be a great activity for Feb  :iagree:

Maybe a suggestion, everyone should introduce some details about their knife of choice with their Day 1 pic, just some specs and background to the knife we're going to see in action?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #113 on: January 28, 2019, 11:57:42 PM
Great idea, Max.  :tu:

It'll be fun to learn a bit about other people's knives.   :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #114 on: January 29, 2019, 12:20:35 AM
Sure can, there is a couple that are going to be very interesting!  :like: :tu:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: January 29, 2019, 01:08:13 AM
01. Nix
02. RF52
03. FInixNOver
04. sak60
05. Higgins617
06. Barry Rowland
07. styx
08. Rapid Ray
09. Max Stone
10. Borg

I have thought about this and i'm just going to go for it, it is a badge i would like so..why not, it's now or never :tu:
Now a disclaimer...
In the UK it is illegal to carry a fixed blade in a public place or without good reason, i am fortunate as i have a legal good reason with my job, i do not work anywhere near public land or the public in general, i also live on private land miles away from the public, i can walk for miles and still be legal, transporting a fixed blade in your car to a place where you can legally use it is also legal, provided it is "not to hand", your vehicle here is classed as a public space so to avoid any doubt i will take one to work and leave it there and use it in the daytime, and at home i will change over..i will not be travelling with a fixed blade in either direction except once which will stay inside the law. What i carry in my own home and on my land and land i have permission and reason to carry is my business, again inside the law. When i go shopping i will be leaving the knives at home but that would only be a couple of hours max, if this is a problem i can easily put a blob of weld on a classic, if nothing else a cheaper fine and slightly less prison time  :D
Weekend days i will still be covered this month as again i will be on private land and will have good legal reason with the exception of some Sundays but again i will usually be at home so i am covered, i am confident i can do this challenge and stay inside the law but if it all goes tits-up will someone please send a cake to my cell with a file hidden inside  :cheers:

Fixies i plan to use are a Brusletto i made from a kit for work and various Moras at other times, the Brusletto handle has not been shaped to my liking so i will take this opportunity to shape it nicer over the course of the month, i never did get round to making a sheath for it but it does fit nicely in a Mora sheath, once i shape it as i like i will make the sheath to fit, i promise  8)
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #116 on: January 29, 2019, 01:41:35 AM
That's great, Borg!  :cheers:  I'm stoked you'll be joining us.

Again, the challenges aren't meant to encourage anyone to do anything unsafe or unlawful.

It sounds to me like you have a solid plan for this challenge.  :tu:  Carry when you can, use when you can, post a pic daily, have fun.  :tu:

I would, however, ask everyone to post any time they use a different knife or tool during the challenge. This will be helpful in illuminating the potential limitations of a fixie, especially in the modern environment.  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #117 on: January 29, 2019, 02:16:16 AM
  :iagree: 110%
 Kudos to you for going the extra mile on this.  To be constantly thinking about what you have to and can  do is a lot of pressure.  :hatsoff: :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #118 on: January 29, 2019, 09:44:18 AM
Nice challenge Nix.   :tu:   I probably can't join but might post pics in support when I can.

se Offline RF52

Reply #119 on: January 29, 2019, 10:31:21 AM
I'll be carrying this for my weekdays at work and yet to decide what I'll be carrying for weekends :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD