Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NEW Gerber Center Drive PLUS

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: NEW Gerber Center Drive PLUS
Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 07:04:26 PM
It seems to vary a good bit.  I've had great luck with mine, but I've seen some of the not so lucky products like the machete.
Is Gerbers quality like SOGs quality  :think: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 07:07:58 PM
At least as good or bad depending on what day it passed QC :facepalm:
Barry

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 07:12:36 PM
At least as good or bad depending on what day it passed QC :facepalm:
Thanks BR  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 08:38:21 PM
It seems to vary a good bit.  I've had great luck with mine, but I've seen some of the not so lucky products like the machete.
Is Gerbers quality like SOGs quality  :think: :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 08:42:23 PM

I have always liked the CD but I can't go with it's price ::) If they had kept the PE blade on it and put scissors on it then they would have likely tipped me in the direction hard enough to get one :whistle: I don't like combo blades and that has stopped me from pulling the trigger on LM Signals and MUTs :ahhh :D

:iagree:   This version does seem like an improvement. But....I don't see myself getting one just yet.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 11:58:37 PM
I am really happy with my CD just the way it is.
I watch what I cut with the blades just because I have read that some have had issues but I really only use the Driver and Pliers anyway so none of this "Improved" stuff matters to me at all.
I will never use a sheath like either of the ones they give you and I do not need tiny scissors at all.
I really don't care what color the tool is and as long as it does not snap in half like some that I have used I am pretty easy to please.

The CD Driver is such a Game Changer to me that every other tool now sits in the drawer wimpering softly all night long which has taken some getting used to for sure!
I have loved the One Hand Pliers since the Pinchy and still do but the addition of the spring is like icing on the cake for me too!

I like Icing. :woohoo:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 12:18:07 AM
👍👍 :like:
Barry

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 25, 2019, 08:41:03 AM
The CD is on my list of things to get... don’t own one yet... Scissors are definitely a nice addition... combo blade not an issue if they made it longer like what the Boss said... the SS now looks plain... Hopefully, Gerber peeps would sit down again around the beer table and decide to come out with the CD plus in dual tone colors like the original one...

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 08:50:37 AM
the blade is also 30% longer!

30% longer than what? The original Center-Drive's blade? Did they really have so much space in there?  :think:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 10:10:17 AM

30% longer than what? The original Center-Drive's blade? Did they really have so much space in there?  :think:
Isnt that blade allready 3,25" long or did i misunderstanded something

Only Tools Matters

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 25, 2019, 10:34:11 AM
Having a plus is pretty unoriginal.. Calling it a Centre Drive S I think sounds much better.. Damn.. They should had addressed the carbide cutter...

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 10:50:32 AM

Isnt that blade allready 3,25" long or did i misunderstanded something

Only Tools Matters
Meh that 30% longer blade is compared to other MT. So basicly its same size as regular only differences are color, half serrated blade is replacing PE Blade and scissors replaces serrated blade.

Only Tools Matters

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 25, 2019, 11:14:28 AM
It's good they removed the serrated blade and replaced it with scissors, I've never been a fan of them serrated blades.   The change to a combo blade is a step backwards, the PE blade is a good blade once you've sharpened it yourself, as the factory edge felt sharp but lasted all of 3 cuts.  It's a big blade already so 30% bigger will be huge, or is it 30% bigger by volume and not length? as it doesn't look any longer.  If I didn't have one of the first gen ones, the combo blade is enough to put me off buying one.

and why have they still not addressed the brittle cutter material, surely they get thousands of people complaining about them  :facepalm:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:35:07 AM by Kev D »

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #43 on: January 25, 2019, 11:59:20 AM
Liking this in all SS and now with scissors, nice :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 01:17:37 PM
Having a plus is pretty unoriginal.. Calling it a Centre Drive S I think sounds much better.. Damn.. They should had addressed the carbide cutter...

that's because when they change the wire cutters on the new one for 2020, they'll call it Centre Drive Plus S  :hatsoff:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 02:30:47 PM

that's because when they change the wire cutters on the new one for 2020, they'll call it Centre Drive Plus S  :hatsoff:

If they come up with that for the next year I am going to boycott the company for introducing yet another "improved version" that should have been improved so long ago... I love gerber but them not listening to consumers about the cutter is just bad..  :twak:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 03:07:38 PM
Neither my son or I have had any issues with the cutters and we both went out of our way to almost torture ours.  What kind of issues are you all having?
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 03:20:56 PM
Neither my son or I have had any issues with the cutters and we both went out of our way to almost torture ours.  What kind of issues are you all having?

I've watched a few videos about the "fails" on the carbide cutters and most of then involve cutting SS rod and nails  :think:.  Not sure this or any MT is meant to do that  :dunno:.  Have some MT been able to do so?  We've seen LM Charge that Tim Leatherman demonstrates cut a nail BUT is the tool meant to do that?  I thought it was WIRE cutters. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 03:25:41 PM
 :iagree: Aloha.  I've had amazing luck with mine.  Noah had to return his initial CD but his second one works very well. 
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 03:32:57 PM
As with other MT companies QC is lacking.  I cannot personally call a tool a fail when the task performed is beyond the limits of the tools design.  Yes, Yes, Yes, I know tools surprise us when they perform tasks over and over again but cutting nails IMO doesnt seem like the proper use of a wire cutter.  Someone educate me if I'm not understanding the MT, any MT wire cutter intended purpose? 
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 03:55:21 PM

I've watched a few videos about the "fails" on the carbide cutters and most of then involve cutting SS rod and nails  :think:.  Not sure this or any MT is meant to do that  :dunno:.  Have some MT been able to do so?  We've seen LM Charge that Tim Leatherman demonstrates cut a nail BUT is the tool meant to do that?  I thought it was WIRE cutters.
Well, they cut a LM mini bit in their promo video... that's what they get for it.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 03:56:05 PM

The are comparing it to the OHT, at least that was their original comparison.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 03:58:40 PM
I forget about their promo video of blood sweat and manliness.  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 04:46:50 PM
I centainly do not have the courage to cut the small bit like they do in the advertisement. They are not worth the $20 to replace.. I got my first MP with the carbide cutter from Amazon and the first thing that I cut was a piece of cloth hanger for some crafts. It shattered on the first cut.. That left a very deep impression and makes me think twice about using it for cutting "harder" material that other pliers have no problem with. This greatly degrades the enjoyment of using the tool. Dun get me wrong, I do praise the cutter for working with soft wires which I do very often. But, if they replace it with something stronger and more versatility , they have a winner. There's pretty much nothing else I have to complain about a MP anymore. If LM can use a better steel for their cutter and it's even cheaper to replace than the carbide. I really dun see why they do not work in that direction.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #54 on: February 04, 2019, 05:28:42 PM
I just got the release from my contact at Gerber and I thought you all might like to see it.  Not much info we don't already have, but what is the point of a forum if we don't share things?  :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rx70vqejso3zcm8/CenterDrivePlus_PressRelease_vf.docx?dl=0

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #55 on: February 04, 2019, 05:30:13 PM
Thanks Def!
Barry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #56 on: February 04, 2019, 05:36:10 PM
No problem!

I like to be useful...

Once in a while!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #57 on: February 04, 2019, 05:43:46 PM
Thanks for checking and reporting on the CD+, Grant! :salute:

Looks cool, but the little scissors handle is gonna be an issue for a lot of people. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #58 on: February 04, 2019, 06:34:20 PM
 :facepalm: :rofl:
No problem!

I like to be useful...

Once in a while!  :P

Def
Barry

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #59 on: February 04, 2019, 09:09:42 PM
Thanks for checking and reporting on the CD+, Grant! :salute:

Looks cool, but the little scissors handle is gonna be an issue for a lot of people. :ahhh
Your absolutly right, that tiny handle on scissors makes it ridicilous to use, maybe even useless compared to Wave scissors

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD