Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Home again!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Home again!
on: January 24, 2019, 05:20:16 PM
For those of you that don't know or remember, three years ago I got injured and was unable to work for a long time as a result.  I'm better now and back to work and have done a number of jobs since coming back to Halifax in November, but even so last night was special for me.

I used to do a lot of work for a company called ACL, who had three vessels- the Companion, the Compass and the Conveyor, and I have spent so much time on these ships that I know my way around them blindfolded.  These vessels were pretty amazing- not only did they have RoRo (Roll On, Roll Off) decks for heavy equipment, trailers, vehicles etc, they also carried a lot of containers.  I can't tell you what the TEU (Twenty Foot Equivelant, the standard measurement for container ships) was without looking it up, but these vessels were amazing for more than that- see the coolness of the container ship that turns into an aircraft carrier here.  With history like that I always loved these ships.

But, they were being retired when I got hurt, and the new vessels started to replace them.  The first of the new vessels was in port about a week before I got hurt, but I hadn't had a chance to go and see it before I broke my ankle.

Now there are five replacement vessels in service, and last night was my first chance to get on board one, the Atlantic Sail, which is the second of the five. 

She's bigger than the vessels she is replacing, and a very different design, although the configuration is similar- containers up front, RoRo in the stern, and of course she's the same colors.

This is the massive ramp coming down- I don't know how much the ramp itself weighs, but I know they are generally good to support over 100 tonnes.  They are HUGE.  And yet, when one of the old ones wasn't behaving, one of the vessel crew went out to the end of the ramp and started jumping up and down to try and make it work!   :rofl:

Like I said, I have spent a lot of time on these vessels- I probably have more time on the old three ACL vessels than I do on any other boat.

Even though the Sail is brand new (only a couple of years old) she still felt like coming home.  She may be newer, but she has the same feel as the old vessels.  Sure she has a fresh paint smell and the bulkheads are hinged on the side instead of the top like they were on the older ones, but she still has positive pressure in all the holds, so when you open a door you walk into a small localized hurricane.... and I have to say I was smiling like s little kid at a carnival the whole damned time.

They say you can't go home again, but they also say that home is what you make of it.  For me, the Sail was like visiting the kid you never met of a long gone friend- the body language is familiar, they know all the old stories, and there are enough of the old mannerisms that the one that's gone will live on, even if it is in a new shell.

How's that for silly sentimentalism?  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Home again!
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 05:34:30 PM
WOW thats a huge ship.  I used to think about being a crew member on board one of these.  Well that was a long time ago. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 07:37:01 PM
Cool ships.  Glad you're back on your feet.
- Steve

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 07:56:14 PM
 :like:
If I pass you on the street be sure to say HI!  :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 08:04:35 PM
WOW thats a huge ship.  I used to think about being a crew member on board one of these.  Well that was a long time ago.

You aren't kidding... over a hundred thousand gross tonnage....  here's her info if anyone is interested:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:3806219/mmsi:235114667/imo:9670585/vessel:ATLANTIC_SAIL

Not the biggest vessel I've been on by far, and they keep bringing in bigger ones.  I just have a soft spot for the ACL vessels because of how much time I have spent on board.  I have also been on this one many times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1hDeBhqhtk

At one time the largest car carrier on the planet. 

I'm in the North End of Halifax- next time you cross the McKay, wave- you can see my house from center span!

And if you ever want to grab a beer or something, let me know.  (902) 233-8888.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 10:29:19 PM

You aren't kidding... over a hundred thousand gross tonnage....  here's her info if anyone is interested:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:3806219/mmsi:235114667/imo:9670585/vessel:ATLANTIC_SAIL

Not the biggest vessel I've been on by far, and they keep bringing in bigger ones.  I just have a soft spot for the ACL vessels because of how much time I have spent on board.  I have also been on this one many times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1hDeBhqhtk

At one time the largest car carrier on the planet. 

I'm in the North End of Halifax- next time you cross the McKay, wave- you can see my house from center span!

And if you ever want to grab a beer or something, let me know.  (902) 233-8888.  :D

Def

We should
I know the North End well, I lived across from and played in the pit as a kid, also watched the new bridge being constructed,, my wife grew up on the part of Albert St they changed to Devonshire  :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 01:10:50 PM
I'm in your neighborhood then.  Ten years ago I bought the white house next to the pit at the corner of Newbery and Kencrest.   :D

I love this neighborhood.  You are so close to downtown and yet it is so quiet and out of the way you feel like you are in a small town.   :tu:

Def

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 01:29:53 PM
That's quite a cool big ship. I know nothing about boats, except that they usually float.

BTW, I thought you moved to somewhere in Quebec a while ago but I guess I was mistaken.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 01:32:11 PM
I'm in your neighborhood then.  Ten years ago I bought the white house next to the pit at the corner of Newbery and Kencrest.   :D

I love this neighborhood.  You are so close to downtown and yet it is so quiet and out of the way you feel like you are in a small town.   :tu:

Def

Small world, I haven't lived there though since the early 70s, back then the pit was still a pit, not the oasis it is today, I'm out in Mt Uniacke  :cheers:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 01:38:32 PM
Congratulations Def

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 02:41:31 PM
That's great, Def.  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 03:55:48 PM
That's quite a cool big ship. I know nothing about boats, except that they usually float.

BTW, I thought you moved to somewhere in Quebec a while ago but I guess I was mistaken.

I was right on the Ontario/Quebec border and spent a lot of time in Quebec, so maybe that is why?  We went hiking, kayaking and camping there a lot, plus we did a lot of booze shopping in Quebec where the taxes were less.  :D

And yes, boats are much better when they float!  :D

Def

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 09:44:13 PM
Blimey! Blimey! Thats a large galleon.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86