Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM disassembly helper

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
LM disassembly helper
on: January 25, 2019, 07:46:58 PM
This tiny project had been on my mind for a while, I just didn't know I had the required part at hand. And now that I had a quarrel with my sister, I needed some time to clear my mind and guess what, what else is more mind-cleaning and meditative than making stuff and craftmanship?

I always found it kinda difficult to disassemble my Wave because -as you know- you need to use two screw drivers at once: One holds the "mirroring" (or locking) screw in place and the other turns the one you wanna turn. And holding the tool in the vice so you can use the two drivers are not that practical IMHO.

So I came up with this (see last photo to see the helper in action).

1st photo: I first wanted this to be a ring or a short pipe for my finger to fit in actually but I had this piece of hinge from the headlight of my father's bike from his childhood. As almost everything, old stuff is tough and hard to work with, so it wasn't easy to shape.

2nd photo: That round gap was too narrow for the bit to fit, so I filed it approximately in a hexagon being careful to achieve a snug fit.

3rd photo: These are the opposing screws, if I was not clear with my explanations above.

4th photo: And voila, helper in action :)

This saves me from using the vice and the second screw driver. I just hold the tool and the helper firm in hand, thus the bit prevents the rotation of the screw.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: LM disassembly helper
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:07:30 PM
Good job, and great idea! :hatsoff:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:12:25 PM
Good job, and great idea! :hatsoff:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

:iagree: :o :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:17:31 PM
Great idea !    :like: :tu:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:32:35 PM
 :D Thanks guys :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 11:25:55 PM
Great work ddogu  :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 12:48:10 AM
There is definitely some satisfaction from designing and executing something that works  :tu:   :)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 11:24:30 AM
Smart one!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 04:28:39 PM
There is definitely some satisfaction from designing and executing something that works  :tu:   :)

yeah, especially IF it works  :rofl:

:cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 04:40:12 PM
Clever  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 06:56:10 PM
A little tip...  :pok: most of the time just need one.. Disassemble with the pliers open. On stock factory assembly, the screw will always be on the file and saw side. Use heat to break the locktite, squeeze and hold the handle. The pressure is usually enough to hold the female screw post. So u just need your other hand with one screwdriver to unscrew it...

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 12:43:27 PM
A little tip...  :pok: most of the time just need one.. Disassemble with the pliers open. On stock factory assembly, the screw will always be on the file and saw side. Use heat to break the locktite, squeeze and hold the handle. The pressure is usually enough to hold the female screw post. So u just need your other hand with one screwdriver to unscrew it...

Interesting tip, thanks. Gonna give this a try  :tu:

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 01:33:33 PM
well, if anyone is interested
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 02:48:05 PM

Good tip Sam  :cheers:

Especially if those pesky little #8 torx bits are difficult to find on the workbench and you only have 1 available  :)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 05:45:03 PM

Good tip Sam  :cheers:

Especially if those pesky little #8 torx bits are difficult to find on the workbench and you only have 1 available  :)

:pok: #10  :salute:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 05:48:35 PM

Interesting tip, thanks. Gonna give this a try  :tu:

:salute: but of course there are times when some screws are super duper tight. Your DIY tool will come in handy.  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%