Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Asking advice from any hunters, farmers or large property managers

MMR · 15 · 512

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
I am just asking here as it looks like some of you either work on or manage a large property.

I am part of what they in Danish call a “Konsortium” which I haven’t got the slightest clue what is called in English, but it’s basically a group of people managing a large piece of land used for hunting.

Currently we have been transporting hunters around on the property on a converted horse trailer with a small Daihatsu 4x4.

But the Daihatsu seems to be on its last legs, and we are looking for a replacement.

We had a small tractor in the past, but it got vandalized constantly, where as people left the little Daihatsu alone for some reason, so they they want to get a tractor again.

Does any of you have any suggestions or recommendations to any other type of vehicle / equipment to try?

Or any thoughts / idea they want to share?

The vehicle will be doing a lot of short trips back and forth on the property, going from the main lodge to the hunting area, and it will be parked outside all year around, plus the budget is around 10.000 dk (around €1300, £1150, $1500).

The trailer is like the one pictured below, just without the canopy and with a long double sided bench in the back for the hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Any Japanese pickup, any Japanese body on frame off roader with enough towing capacity

Think if you actually need 4WD.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
So did you forget to tell us why getting a better version of exactly what you are using now is not the obvious solution?

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
A Toyota Hilux, those things are just about bomb proof

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
So did you forget to tell us why getting a better version of exactly what you are using now is not the obvious solution?

Not sure if you are trying to be funny or unintentionally/intentionally rude, but I do believe I did explain that very clearly.

But I’ll do it again; with the tiny budget we have it’s kind of hard to really “upgrade” to anything better.

Plus it’s a vehicle that will be sitting outside in a Forrest all year around, and only driving maybe 500 km per year and going through a lot of start / stops and very short drives the times it will be used, all while towing a heavy trailer.
Plus the old tractor we had, got vandalized a few times.

It’s not really going to be feasible to get anything “nice” and new, or anything that anyone would want to steal.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Asking advice from any hunters, farmers or large property managers
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 09:58:38 PM
Any Japanese pickup, any Japanese body on frame off roader with enough towing capacity

Think if you actually need 4WD.

A Toyota Hilux, those things are just about bomb proof

That’s very true

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Hilux is what came to my mind too.

It's been around long enough to find an older generation on the cheap I guess.

Good luck with the search!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club

Not sure if you are trying to be funny or unintentionally/intentionally rude, but I do believe I did explain that very clearly.

But I’ll do it again; with the tiny budget we have it’s kind of hard to really “upgrade” to anything better.

Plus it’s a vehicle that will be sitting outside in a Forrest all year around, and only driving maybe 500 km per year and going through a lot of start / stops and very short drives the times it will be used, all while towing a heavy trailer.

It’s not really going to be feasible to get anything “nice” and new, or anything that anyone would want to steal.

I was trying to be neither funny(clearly it seems) or rude.
I simply did not understand from your first post why you wouldn't simply replace the one that has been working for you with another one that works a little better than the one that is dying now.

To presume otherwise seems to suggest that I could read your mind somehow?

Anyway sorry for any confusion that my reply may have caused,I was really trying to understand your needs better.

Around here I wold find a small Toyota or Nissan Pickup that looks like crap but runs well for this.

I am surprised to hear that a Tractor would be vandalized while a more normal vehicle might not but then who knows why things like that happen anyway really?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:45:15 PM by ezdog »

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Hilux is what came to my mind too.

It's been around long enough to find an older generation on the cheap I guess.

Good luck with the search!

Yeah good point, I might look more into that actually

I was trying to be neither funny(clearly it seems) or rude.
I simply did not understand from your first post why you wouldn't simply replace the one that has been working for you with another one that works a little better than the one that is dying now.

To presume otherwise seems to suggest that I could read your mind somehow?

Anyway sorry for any confusion that my reply may have caused,I was really trying to understand your needs better.

Around here I wold find a small Toyota or Nissan Pickup that looks like crap but runs well for this.

I am surprised to hear that a Tractor would be vandalized while a more normal vehicle might not but then who knows why things like that happen anyway really?

It was an open older Massy Ferguson tractor, (an MF 35 if I recall correctly) even though the property is fenced off, it is only really used during the hunting seasons (apart from some maintenance work here and there) ...but people sneak in for some reason still, and they would leave the main lodge alone, but the tractor they would target.

They would steal like the shift knobs, buttons, the seat and steering wheel, and then smash up the gauge cluster and different lights.

But a crappy old (and partly rusted and moss covered) 80s Daihatsu 4x4 they would leave alone. I guess it must only be fun to vandalize nice things? ..don’t know.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
My suggestion would be to take the money you have now and fix the Daihatsu.   You already know what works on it and what needs fixing on it.  If you buy another older used vehicle to replace the Daihatsu you are just buying somebody else's problems that may result in an inconvenient walk back to the lodge and some angry clients.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
I vote you need more money (about 70x more) to buy one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjjV6nGh0g

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
+1 for the HiLux or similar. Alternatively something from military surplus in gory colors.

They would steal like the shift knobs, buttons, the seat and steering wheel, and then smash up the gauge cluster and different lights.

Back when I was a student I got into my old car one morning. I tried to switch on the lights and my finger disappeared into a hole. Tried to set the fan on but no climate panel. And finally tried to drive but no gear stick! :( It was a an exposed communal parking too with many such issues. It seems some people will just steal anything.

The most annoying part was them breaking a glass every time - a particular stupid one even had to break two to get in. I finally actually solved the issue - as a poor student to at least save my windows I just left the doors unlocked. Weirdly enough never had an issue with anything after that.  :dunno:

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
My suggestion would be to take the money you have now and fix the Daihatsu.   You already know what works on it and what needs fixing on it.  If you buy another older used vehicle to replace the Daihatsu you are just buying somebody else's problems that may result in an inconvenient walk back to the lodge and some angry clients.

I know what you are saying, but just trust me when I say, that thing is not worth trying to keep running.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
The old Daihatsu Taft (and later Rocky) were classic little doers....

I can speak to the reliability of most of the range of Toyotas, and many Nissans - however as with all things, if you are buying old, you really need to look at the particular item you are getting and not the overall brand reputation.
I also don't know about the availability of A. The cars themselves and B. any parts required, in your region.

You also might not need much power anyway - How much does this cart weigh, full of people?  what are the tracks like?

what sort of paths are you taking? does the vehicle need to meet any kind of safety standard?

It might be worth looking for a Danish car forum and getting a more local take.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Maybe place a container with a label that says, HUMAN WASTE TRANSPORT VEHICLE in the back of the truck while its not being used.   :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD