Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Finally tried a Wave

vwb563 · 30 · 1182

Offline vwb563

• New User
Finally tried a Wave
on: January 29, 2019, 06:39:32 PM
Hello everyone. I’ve been a Leatherman Tool fan ever since I bought my first one back around 1991. It was a black anodized PST. I carried it for several years until the first Super Tool came out in 1994. After I purchased the Super Tool I sold the PST since it never got and carry time anymore. Now over the years I’ve owned several other variations of Leatherman Tool along with a few other brands like Gerber and SOG. For one reason or another I always returned to carrying a Leatherman over the other brands. Then I went through a spell in the 2000’s where I didn’t carry a tool at all on my belt anymore. Through that spell I carried a SAK in my left pocket and various brands of clip on knife in my right. I got away from carrying anything that required belt carry. A few years back I decided to start carrying a multitool again since I discovered several brands were now adding the option of pocket clips to them. I bought a Leatherman Charge TTI and carried it off and on for a few months but really didn’t care for how thick it was. It bulged my pocket quite a bit. I don’t wear skinny jeans but I also don’t care for baggy jeans either. I like to wear jeans that fit just right and the TTI was just a bit too thick it seemed. A couple years ago I bought a Leatherman Sidekick and it worked and fit in my pocket really well but I always felt like I was missing a few tools having carried the TTI with its abundance of tools. Now during this time I read articles and discussions on forums where people talked how they really loved the Wave model Leatherman. Well when I saw that Leatherman had added the replaceable wire cutters to the Wave I decided I had to try one. It arrived a week ago and I must say I’m in love so far. It’s just just a tad thicker than my Sidekick but has almost the same tools as the TTI but without the bulkiness. For those not familiar the titanium TTI has really thick and bulky handles but the Wave has very thin handles and are made of stainless steel. For now I’m happy with the Wave as my new edc tool but I’m also very interested in the new magnetic tools Leatherman is introducing this year. Now I’ve told you my story of how I arrived at my current carry multitool and I’d like to hear yours. Thanks for stopping by...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Finally tried a Wave
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:43:49 PM
WELCOME  :salute:

Congratulations on the WAVE, and I will assume you did buy the pocket clip accessory for its intended purpose, or moved it from the Charge :think:

I have a BO Charge but yet to fit into my carry rotation as it is thicker than the WAVE, as thick as my OHT!

I carry a WAVE in a sheath Monday - Friday, each morning for my PT job.  The stainless steel is perfect for my tasks there, working a lot with POOL chemicals at the YMCA.

But, my real MT luv belongs to my REBARs, and my ST300., best designed tools for my needs on a daily basis.  And, I have a Surge in my BugOut kit for its scissors and interchangeable saw and file option.

That is my tale. :hatsoff:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:45:06 PM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline gregpost

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 08:14:54 PM
I edc a Wingman in my pocket all the time, it is used constantly throughout the day. In my pack which I usually carry is a Leatherman Rebar for tasks where I need 2 pliers or need to cut some hardwire. I also carry a Victorinox Rangergrip 178, for the large and excellent saw.

At home my favorite MT is the Supertool 300 for doing around the home errands. When I do small electronics and DIY work I usually use one of my Victorinox Swiss Army knives.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:17:55 PM by gregpost »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:43:45 PM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

I started with a PST over a decade ago :cheers: Wanted to find out more about it and about finding another LM to suit my needs better :whistle: I found MTO and joined ::) One thing led to another and now I have.... a lot of MTs :ahhh :D I rotate through several models depending on the day of the week more than anything and have recently been carrying BO tools mostly but with a few SS ones thrown in as well :tu: I have been carrying a BO Charge + AL in my rotation more than anything though and would be happy to only carry it :salute: but I like rotating through them and will probably continue that trend :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 08:56:03 PM
Welcome to  :MTO: vwb :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:36 PM
Hi there :waving:

Gotta love the Wave :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 11:13:41 PM
I'm another one who started with a PST then tried a few others, only to end up with the Wave/Charge tools.

I've tried LM, SOG, Victorinox, and Gerber. But I keep coming back to the LM Wave, it's just so hard to beat.   :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:14:04 PM
Welcome to  :MTO: vwb563

My first plier based Multitool was a LM Supertool baught in 1995. Followed by a slimmer PST in 1997. I've got my first Wave around 2009/10.

For EDC carry I find the Wave an excellent choice.
I'd like an awl instead of the mini-screwdriver exchanger. But what do you know I sometimes need that too now recently  :facepalm:

The Wave is a win  :tu:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 01:08:34 AM
Welcome to the club!

and don't go for the free series..the tools seem much less robust and much higher price point.

MTMatt, I have glasses as well and the Vic Manager is your best friend ever. Great pen and works on any glasses I've tried so far. I always keep mine in my wallet.
Cheers,
H.G.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:10:22 AM by Happy Gilmore »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 10:43:26 AM
I see what you mean H.G.
It got the small flat on the file and also a small phillips. Not bad  :tu:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 10:07:05 PM
My first tool was a Vic Hunstman ( still have it ) then I got a PST and loved it , sold that when I bought a Gerber MP600 which I broke and vowed never to buy Gerber again. Then I fell in love with the Vic Swisstool which I carried for years ( some older members may remember my obsession). Then I discovered the Spirit and broke the Swisstools heart and run off into the sunset with its younger sister lol. At some point I got a titanium LM , a Wave , a surge , a sidekick , a Sog or two , a Rebar , a Skeletool. I’ve owned multiple models of the ones I’ve mentioned after selling them to try others then regretting it. I’ve also given Gerber another chance and owned several models and recently have been carrying an MP 600 again. But while Victorinox holds dear in my heart and I really can’t say a bad thing about them it’s the Wave that’s shone through. I’ve carried a Wave at work for years and it’s served me well but it wasn’t my favourite as it started to look beat up and I tended to carry other tools on my days off as they were in better condition and not bashed about with sloppy blade and plier play..
  Yesterday I went fishing and I was sitting in my car waiting for my mate and fishing partner to arrive and I was looking at my MP600 and noticed the large screwdriver was bent. I was gutted as I can’t remember putting it under that much pressure.
  That afternoon after fishing I went to a big department store here in the UK called Go outdoores and bought myself a brand new wave + , I couldn’t really afford it but I got £20 discount off retail and I’m over the moon. Still got my beat up Wave for all the nasty jobs and a nice new Wave for lighter duties.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 10:16:53 PM
Great to hear that you like the Wave Dunc :tu: :like:
And may the Wave+ give you the same enjoyment  :cheers:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 11:08:37 PM
I always thought that if I bought one Leatherman myself with my own money it would be the Wave. First one I had was a Juice XE6 issued to me from work. Used that until work said no slip joints knives so got a Surge. Since having the Juice and Surge I like the outside opening scissors, so bought myself a Victorinox Spirit X. Can't be bothered modding so unless LM release a Wave with outside scissors I suppose I never will have one, but they do feel a lot better in the hand than the bulk and splay of the Surge. The first LM I bought on my own was a Squirt PS4 but I prefer the Vic 58mm scissors. I would prefer the Spirit to have more traditional Vic 91mm scissors and a Diamond file then maybe it'd be close to the perfect tool for me

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 01:43:42 AM

:iagree: and great to see you posting again, Dunc :salute: :like:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 08:16:37 AM

:iagree: and great to see you posting again, Dunc :salute: :like:

I can stop at any time , really I can it’s not going to be like last time. I’m not addicted and I don’t have a problem  :rofl:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 09:21:44 AM
Yep. We're not addicted at all. Not in the least.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 09:22:00 AM
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 12:41:57 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 04:04:52 PM
Not me either :salute: I can stop anytime :dwts:

:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 04:10:04 PM
Not me either :salute: I can stop anytime :dwts:

:D
I believe it, Poncho. :tu:........ :whistle:.......... :gimme: more tools.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 04:12:27 PM
I can only stop once my wallet is empty  >:(

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 04:18:09 PM
I can only stop once my wallet is empty  >:(
:iagree:

Main rules I use with MTs. Pay bills and buy what I need to comfortably live first. And, secondly, never charge MTs on credit(loans and/or cards specifically).

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 04:20:43 PM
 :iagree: I only spent what is available  :like:
and I never ever use credit cards or take out a loan  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 04:21:17 PM
Thanks GLBM :salute: :rofl:

Yes, the money is what can stop or rather slow me down :facepalm: Thankfully I have a little voice that whispers every now and again that I don't need something :D Then I realize it is just my wife that has sneaked up behind me ::) :rofl:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 04:22:34 PM
I got in enough trouble with credit cards when I was younger  :facepalm:
And now I don’t owe anything anymore I like to keep it that way  :woohoo:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 04:23:18 PM
 :rofl: good one Poncho  :rofl: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 04:25:51 PM
:iagree: I only spent what is available  :like:
and I never ever use credit cards or take out a loan  :D
:cheers:

Thanks GLBM :salute: :rofl:

Yes, the money is what can stop or rather slow me down :facepalm: Thankfully I have a little voice that whispers every now and again that I don't need something :D Then I realize it is just my wife that has sneaked up behind me ::) :rofl:
:cheers::rofl:
That voice is sure a multi-tool bummer. But, at times, I do appreciate a monetary reality check. :rofl:

I got in enough trouble with credit cards when I was younger  :facepalm:
And now I don’t owe anything anymore I like to keep it that way  :woohoo:
Very nice! Always good to remember how quickly the debt adds up.  :ahhh

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 05:20:17 PM
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 05:21:33 PM
Thankfully so many other things demand my money to slow my spending :tu: