Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Odd Leatherman Carrier Club.

Gareth · 95 · 4051

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: The Odd Leatherman Carrier Club.
Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 02:02:32 AM
I guess I don't mind the clumping of tools.

I prefer clumping too, as I find it much easier to fold back the tools I want rather than fiddle around trying to fold out only the one I want (on most of my larger MTs, anyway).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Darrell85

Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 02:20:03 AM
Also, on top of the already listed tools, how about the Flair, Pulse, Crunch, Core, Rev, MUT, Signal, and FreeStyle?
Don't see much of those EDC'd. :)

Gonna have to watch this one. :popcorn:

Great thread idea, Gareth!  :tu:
I have been carring a signal every day for probably 2 years now and still love it! I actually have 2. My work one (very modded black) and one for when im not working (tan all stock).

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: February 03, 2019, 04:32:07 PM
Here's another of my less than commonly carried LMs; a Kick. 8)  Much like Poncho's Core, the once common Kick, Fuse and Blast seem to have been forgotten about now that the Rebar has replaced them.  I've actually cheated with this one and added a saw and scissors to make it more useful. 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:34:08 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #33 on: February 03, 2019, 05:28:17 PM
Here's another of my less than commonly carried LMs; a Kick. 8)  Much like Poncho's Core, the once common Kick, Fuse and Blast seem to have been forgotten about now that the Rebar has replaced them.  I've actually cheated with this one and added a saw and scissors to make it more useful. 

(Image removed from quote.)
I just recently sold my Kick away, tho it was useful and lightweight but i replaced it with my Spirit RT.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 05:29:38 PM
Nice one Gareth !   :like:

I'm going to add the Pulse to the mix. It along with the ST 200 don't seem to be represented very often anymore except by a few of us.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: February 03, 2019, 06:04:30 PM

I just recently sold my Kick away, tho it was useful and lightweight but i replaced it with my Spirit RT.

Only Tools Matters

The Spirit RT is a way better tool I'd say.  Good choice.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: February 03, 2019, 07:06:08 PM
Great choices Gareth and Steve :salute: I rarely carry a Kick myself but I have carried a Pulse more recently and both are great though and have really great toolsets for their size :cheers: :like:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: February 03, 2019, 07:22:52 PM
I suspect there is a feeling the Pulse is still a massively popular tool based on just you two posting about it.  :D  You know I'll never disagree though.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: February 03, 2019, 07:41:45 PM
I suspect there is a feeling the Pulse is still a massively popular tool based on just you two posting about it.  :D  You know I'll never disagree though.

:think: Could be :shrug:

:D

And I know you won't disagree about it ;) :cheers:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #39 on: February 03, 2019, 09:02:10 PM

Only Tools Matters

The Spirit RT is a way better tool I'd say.  Good choice.
Spirit RT is better tool but its also heavier

Only Tools Matters

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 09:06:56 PM

Your posts and review of the Pulse is what pushed me to acquire one  ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 02:46:08 PM
 :multi:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 10:11:33 PM
Locks Up !    :like: :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #43 on: February 07, 2019, 05:11:27 AM
Count me in with the Juice KF4 and the Sideclip  :tu:

The KF4 gets carried exclusively with a Climber small, which complements the Juice very well indeed, adding better scissors and openers than the Juice line can offer. After trying the CS4 and XE6 twice, and being disappointed both times, I've settled on the KF4 as being the best of the Juice line. Sadly, while the CS4 is perfect in theory, it fails too many ways in practice.

The Sideclip is an excellent companion for any other 84mm to 91mm Swiss knife. This was a tool I foolishly traded away the first one I got, but saw the error of my ways in time - and got two more. As a standalone tool it is quite limited, but there are very few minimalist pliers tools which compliment a Victorinox or Wenger pocket knife as well as this. It was the Sideclip which convinced me to let go of my Mini Tool. For very little extra weight, it added a lot more capability, carried better, and was still compatible with the Tool Adapter (I'll not submit that in the mix, as it only gets used at home, not carried)

Both Sideclip and KF4 handle small flat screws like electrical connections, which defeat the majority of Swiss knives, and carry very capable Phillips drivers, allowing for slimmer pocket knife choices.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline RicHT

Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 08:14:18 AM

Gareth, can I ask what parts you used for this, I'm assuming scissors and saw from the blast? Was it a straight fit and what tools did you replace to get them to fit? I love the kick and with scissors it would be close to perfect for me. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 02:01:52 AM

Gareth, can I ask what parts you used for this, I'm assuming scissors and saw from the blast? Was it a straight fit and what tools did you replace to get them to fit? I love the kick and with scissors it would be close to perfect for me. :cheers:

Yes, both stolen from a Blast.  You don't actually have to lose anything other than some washers and spacers!  There's a lot of unused space in a Kick. ;)  The only genuine bit of modification is having to file down the highlighted area (or else the saw won't close properly).
20190208_005431.jpg
* 20190208_005431.jpg (Filesize: 193.63 KB)
20190208_005510.jpg
* 20190208_005510.jpg (Filesize: 140.43 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 02:14:01 AM
Count me in with the Juice KF4 and the Sideclip  :tu:

The KF4 gets carried exclusively with a Climber small, which complements the Juice very well indeed, adding better scissors and openers than the Juice line can offer. After trying the CS4 and XE6 twice, and being disappointed both times, I've settled on the KF4 as being the best of the Juice line. Sadly, while the CS4 is perfect in theory, it fails too many ways in practice.

The Sideclip is an excellent companion for any other 84mm to 91mm Swiss knife. This was a tool I foolishly traded away the first one I got, but saw the error of my ways in time - and got two more. As a standalone tool it is quite limited, but there are very few minimalist pliers tools which compliment a Victorinox or Wenger pocket knife as well as this. It was the Sideclip which convinced me to let go of my Mini Tool. For very little extra weight, it added a lot more capability, carried better, and was still compatible with the Tool Adapter (I'll not submit that in the mix, as it only gets used at home, not carried)

Both Sideclip and KF4 handle small flat screws like electrical connections, which defeat the majority of Swiss knives, and carry very capable Phillips drivers, allowing for slimmer pocket knife choices.

I totally agree about the Sideclip being a fantastic companion to a SAK or somesuch.  :tu:  Quite honestly though I never thought you'd be the one to be carrying a Juice on a regular basis. ;)

gb Offline RicHT

Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 08:54:33 PM

Yes, both stolen from a Blast.  You don't actually have to lose anything other than some washers and spacers!  There's a lot of unused space in a Kick. ;)  The only genuine bit of modification is having to file down the highlighted area (or else the saw won't close properly).

Ah, that's brilliant. I have an old rusty broken blast somewhere (that was lost in the garden for 3 years and was dug up a few months ago hahaha). I'll definitely be doing this! Thanks for the idea and hope you don't mind. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: February 08, 2019, 08:57:34 PM

Ah, that's brilliant. I have an old rusty broken blast somewhere (that was lost in the garden for 3 years and was dug up a few months ago hahaha). I'll definitely be doing this! Thanks for the idea and hope you don't mind. :cheers:

Not a problem at all.  It was a long time ago when I did this but IIRC you have to stick to the tool order I've used as nothing else quite fits.

gb Offline RicHT

Reply #49 on: February 08, 2019, 10:54:47 PM
Ok thanks for that. I'll give it a shot! 👍🏻

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #50 on: February 09, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

I totally agree about the Sideclip being a fantastic companion to a SAK or somesuch.  :tu:  Quite honestly though I never thought you'd be the one to be carrying a Juice on a regular basis. ;)

I'm not  :D

The KF4 and yellow scaled Climber Small are the "light hike" pairing, when I'd expect the 84mm Vic to handle most needs anyway.

The diamond file and saw on the Juice line are very good, even if the saw is easily bent, and needs flexing to pass the awl for stowage again, and the blunt awl is great for digging annoying stones out of your boot tread, without damaging your sole or anything that's meant to be sharp. The pliers and back up knives are the right duty level for the job, and I'm highly unlikely to need the profanity inducing screwdrivers.

It's a good back up tool for that role, although I don't think I've ever actually had to use it on a stroll yet. Good to have just in case though, and takes up little space or weight. The "full fat" version of this kit, is my orange modded Fuse, Case scout Jr, Vagnino Zipslip, and Hi Vis Mora if food prep will be done. The KF4 and Climber small are much more pocketable.  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: February 09, 2019, 10:35:15 AM
That's fair I think.  The Juice; an excellent multitool to carry if you don't expect to use it much. ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: February 10, 2019, 02:56:52 AM
Excellent pics of the Pulse and the modded Kick, Gareth :like: I am thinking that was modded way back years ago, correct? Around the same time Spoonrobot modded his? :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: February 10, 2019, 02:59:05 AM
It amazes me that the Kick and the Rebar both have wasted space like that in them :facepalm: So much potential (especially for the Kick) but I guess making the Kick as functional or more so than the Fuse and Blast wouldn't have made for a good selling point for the other 2 :whistle: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: February 15, 2019, 07:45:02 PM
Not to many carry a BO PST :think: :D

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: February 15, 2019, 08:16:55 PM

Cool! I have never seen a later version BO PST!  :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: February 15, 2019, 11:58:37 PM

Cool! I have never seen a later version BO PST!  :like:

Glad I could show you one 8) :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: February 16, 2019, 01:30:15 AM
Snap.  8)

:D
DSC_0075.JPG
* DSC_0075.JPG (Filesize: 196.42 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: February 16, 2019, 01:44:51 AM

Double Snap with crimpers    8) :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: February 16, 2019, 02:34:36 AM
Very nice Gareth and Steve :tu: :like: