Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The GLBM MultiTool Collection 2019

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: The GLBM MultiTool Collection 2019
Reply #30 on: February 05, 2019, 07:07:30 PM
First off, very nice collection of all tools  :tu:.  Secondly, since you tool a considerable amount of time arranging them all, did you leave them out like that?
Thank you very much, Aloha! :cheers:
As much as I didn't want to, they awl got put back where they reside between photo shoots. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 06:21:29 AM
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:22:42 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 06:44:35 AM
Thanks, Blackbeard! :cheers:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 07:15:00 AM
The Multi Tool Alcove is finally shaping up. I've managed to get almost everything within arms reach with this setup. Before everything was scattered all over the house. :ahhh
The room needs some minor spackle and paint, but has a great built in desk with shelving above. I'll fill and stain it eventually, but as far as a multi-tool layer, it is great.
The only MTs not within arms reach are some of the fixed pliers, which are in a smallish box, but will need to find a reasonable place to put it.

On the right is a wood organizer on top of the main MT chest. For now it holds the Victorinox, Bear & Sons, and Small Gerber tools in varying storage containers.

On the floor is a tackle box with a bunch of MTs in it as well. To the left is a computer I built in 2010/2011. The power supply burned up in 2014, so I put it away in the closet. Moved back home and just recently dug it out and installed a new 500W power supply. Luckily the motherboard and HDDs were fine.  :woohoo:

Runs very very well, which was a pleasant surprise. Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition 2.8GHz, ASUS M3A79 Board, 8GB DDR2, 1GB DDR3 Nvidia GTS250. I had forgotten how nice it was to surf a forum with a desktop computer instead of my cheap phone.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 07:47:21 AM
That setup you have reminds me of old PC game "Myst" very nice  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 12:14:55 PM
Great space :tu: Way more organized than mine :ahhh and I always :like: a good desktop and that one looks awesome 8) I love getting to use mine when I get home in the evenings :tu: Of course some evenings I still get on the couch and use my phone cause it is handier ::) :D Great pics :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 03:54:29 PM
That setup you have reminds me of old PC game "Myst" very nice  :salute:
Thank you, CsB! :cheers:
Myst was definitely a cool game back in the day. :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 08:31:56 PM
Great space :tu: Way more organized than mine :ahhh and I always :like: a good desktop and that one looks awesome 8) I love getting to use mine when I get home in the evenings :tu: Of course some evenings I still get on the couch and use my phone cause it is handier ::) :D Great pics :like:
Thank you very much, Poncho! :cheers:

I have been so acclimated to the couch and phone, that it is hard for me to even remember to use my desk/computer. :ahhh

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 11:06:35 PM
Impressive collection there  :salute:

Nice to see an array of users which many would overlook too (Balance, Switchplier, BG Strata, ToughTool, ...) I was surprised to only see one Swiss knife in the users though.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 11:22:54 PM

Nice to see an array of users which many would overlook too (Balance, Switchplier, BG Strata, ToughTool, ...) I was surprised to only see one Swiss knife in the users though.
Thank you much, AW! :cheers:

Indeed, a lot of cool tools get overlooked for modern carry. The Balance, BG Strata, and TT are great tools. IMO).

Truth be told, I have never been big on carrying SAKs outside of the Explorer(I do have two backups for the one pictured). I have carried the same Explorer(now with new SilverTech scales) for 15 years and cannot really see EDC'ing another model SAK. It does the lightweight stuff I need a SAK to do(good scissors, mag glass, backup screwdrivers(in case I am using the MT pliers), awl, and clean blades. The corkscrew gets some odd tasks sometimes.

The Explorer is always supplemental to the pliers-based MTs on my belt/in my pocket.
Now, as far as collecting, I enjoy the different toolsets and styles of SAKs(particularly the 91mm class). The good fit and finish are appealing as well.  :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #40 on: February 19, 2019, 12:21:51 AM

Thank you much, AW! :cheers:

Indeed, a lot of cool tools get overlooked for modern carry. The Balance, BG Strata, and TT are great tools. IMO).

Truth be told, I have never been big on carrying SAKs outside of the Explorer(I do have two backups for the one pictured). I have carried the same Explorer(now with new SilverTech scales) for 15 years and cannot really see EDC'ing another model SAK. It does the lightweight stuff I need a SAK to do(good scissors, mag glass, backup screwdrivers(in case I am using the MT pliers), awl, and clean blades. The corkscrew gets some odd tasks sometimes.

The Explorer is always supplemental to the pliers-based MTs on my belt/in my pocket.
Now, as far as collecting, I enjoy the different toolsets and styles of SAKs(particularly the 91mm class). The good fit and finish are appealing as well.  :)

The Balance is a user for me too, as was the BG Strata till I robbed it for parts  :-[

Point taken on the Explorer too. I have one which is destined for surgery, but can't decide whether to just transfer the Phillips, or the mag glass too. It was just going to be the Phillips, until I got it and gave it some carry time (first time with a newer magnifier). The Swiss knives do play a larger role for me, as you can see in my long winded thread here...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,80625.0.html

... but that's because a lot of my carry options are knifeless. Regional cultural differences play a part too. I also like "spreading the load", rather than expecting one tool to do everything I might want. Combos are what serves be best, though I do have a couple of "single tool solutions"

Impressive that you stuck with the same one for that long.  :tu: I've settled in regards of not wanting to find more, but am still planning to tweak things a little through modding

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: February 19, 2019, 05:35:54 AM

The Balance is a user for me too, as was the BG Strata till I robbed it for parts  :-[

Point taken on the Explorer too. I have one which is destined for surgery, but can't decide whether to just transfer the Phillips, or the mag glass too. It was just going to be the Phillips, until I got it and gave it some carry time (first time with a newer magnifier). The Swiss knives do play a larger role for me, as you can see in my long winded thread here...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,80625.0.html

... but that's because a lot of my carry options are knifeless. Regional cultural differences play a part too. I also like "spreading the load", rather than expecting one tool to do everything I might want. Combos are what serves be best, though I do have a couple of "single tool solutions"

Impressive that you stuck with the same one for that long.  :tu: I've settled in regards of not wanting to find more, but am still planning to tweak things a little through modding
Will definitely be perusing the linked thread soon.  :cheers:

I understand the desire to always make something better. It helps that the Explorer tool loadout is nearly ideal as a supplemental tool for me. But, as most everything else, there are many different needs from varying people. And I commend your quest to achieve the tool you envision. SAK modding is one of the things I have yet to undertake, but can see myself possibly attempting at some point in the future.

Indeed the cultural differences shape some part, large or small, of our carrying habits. I carry large folders often, but do understand that they are not necessary to carry out my everyday cutting duties. I can't even say I would bother reaching for the folding knife in a self-defense situation. So why carry one?  :think:
Definitely a cultural thing around where I live, as it is something most men my age do. I like collecting well made gear as well, but that is beyond the cultural reasoning for sure. I don't have much in common with people my age where I live, but the knives are always something they like to hear about. Some people even buy the same knives I carry for themselves, which increases the chances of an interesting conversation. Last example being my CRKT Klecker designed Graphite.

Part of the reason I love the Explorer and Mr. Pinchy is that I carried both, along with a 1988 2xAAA Maglite, for so long. And they were carried a long time before my interest in MTs and knives ramped up. An odd gear-Stockholm syndrome, if that makes any sense. It is known I have better SAKs, but chose to only carry the same old Explorer, even with its' corroded liners, stiff tools and botched can-opener/driver.

The Mr. Pinchy is slightly different, as the necessity to "upgrade" became blatantly apparent over time(needed more driver options, replaceable cutters, and less palm pinching). However, that being the EDC case, I have transferred the obsession with the Pinchy over to collecting them. I have 13 Mr. Pinchy versions so far.

Anyway, I apologize for the rambling. It's one of the few habits I cannot seem to kick. :ahhh

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 05:57:08 AM
Thanks for the observations and insights into your collecting and carry habits GLBM. I’m sure that all forum members that invest even a little time here share a level of interest in EDC, with a selection of flashlights, MTs, SAKs, etc. My weekday EDC varies from my weekend EDC, and that too changes when on vacation, and I find that trying what works for other people is a good way to experiment for my own needs. A good example is that I always thought “more is better” with SAKs, going for 4 or more layers, but then hardly carrying them because of the bulk. Trying a 2-layer Alox on a belt clip suspension lanyard has been a relavation and I can now appreciate why this is such a popular choice. But it’s because of MTO that I’ve gained these insights.  :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 06:27:18 AM
Thanks for the observations and insights into your collecting and carry habits GLBM. I’m sure that all forum members that invest even a little time here share a level of interest in EDC, with a selection of flashlights, MTs, SAKs, etc. My weekday EDC varies from my weekend EDC, and that too changes when on vacation, and I find that trying what works for other people is a good way to experiment for my own needs. A good example is that I always thought “more is better” with SAKs, going for 4 or more layers, but then hardly carrying them because of the bulk. Trying a 2-layer Alox on a belt clip suspension lanyard has been a revelation and I can now appreciate why this is such a popular choice. But it’s because of MTO that I’ve gained these insights.  :tu:
You are quite welcome, Max. :cheers:

Indeed this is probably the only site with such a serious emphasis on EDC gear. That is why I enjoy being a member so much. Our EDCs aren't status-motivated or fashion-oriented. We tend to gravitate to logical/enjoyable conclusions for our carries. It is great you have found a companion knife in the 2-layer Alox. I've considered carrying an Alox, but am steadfast stubborn about the Explorer.  :rofl:

Your approach to early MTs has been quite refreshing, and I appreciate your historical-emphasis in regards to the classics.  :)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 06:56:46 AM
 :tu: more to follow  :salute:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 09:24:18 AM
I dun know how I could have missed this..  :salute: Sure was a joy looking through all the pictures!! :like: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 09:38:08 AM
:tu: more to follow  :salute:
Very cool! :cheers::popcorn:

I dun know how I could have missed this..  :salute: Sure was a joy looking through all the pictures!! :like: :like:
Thank you, Sam!  :cheers:

Glad you enjoyed it. Seeing other member's collection photos, like yours, is one of my favorite activities here. :woohoo:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 06:36:19 PM
Show us some more pics of that mini Wave Sam!  :like:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: February 22, 2019, 09:27:50 PM
The Multi Tool Alcove is finally shaping up. I've managed to get almost everything within arms reach with this setup. Before everything was scattered all over the house. :ahhh
The room needs some minor spackle and paint, but has a great built in desk with shelving above. I'll fill and stain it eventually, but as far as a multi-tool layer, it is great.
The only MTs not within arms reach are some of the fixed pliers, which are in a smallish box, but will need to find a reasonable place to put it.
(Image removed from quote.)

On the right is a wood organizer on top of the main MT chest. For now it holds the Victorinox, Bear & Sons, and Small Gerber tools in varying storage containers.

On the floor is a tackle box with a bunch of MTs in it as well. To the left is a computer I built in 2010/2011. The power supply burned up in 2014, so I put it away in the closet. Moved back home and just recently dug it out and installed a new 500W power supply. Luckily the motherboard and HDDs were fine.  :woohoo:

Runs very very well, which was a pleasant surprise. Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition 2.8GHz, ASUS M3A79 Board, 8GB DDR2, 1GB DDR3 Nvidia GTS250. I had forgotten how nice it was to surf a forum with a desktop computer instead of my cheap phone.

Great stuff- you inspired me a lot - today a get my hands on a black Zilla Tool for a really good price.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: February 23, 2019, 03:19:38 AM

Great stuff- you inspired me a lot - today a get my hands on a black Zilla Tool for a really good price.
Very Very nice find, CeHo! Thank you for the kind words as well. :cheers:

This came in today to add to the collection.

This came yesterday(the black one) to go with the two-tone CD.

This came over a week ago.

The CK&T goes with the Gerber Multi-Pliers(aka Pinchy tools).

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #50 on: February 23, 2019, 07:01:00 AM

Very Very nice find, CeHo! Thank you for the kind words as well. :cheers:

This came in today to add to the collection.

This came yesterday(the black one) to go with the two-tone CD.

This came over a week ago.

The CK&T goes with the Gerber Multi-Pliers(aka Pinchy tools).

Nice Vista GLBM. I think quite rare?  :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: February 23, 2019, 07:28:08 AM
Thank you, Max! :cheers:

Quite rare indeed. It was one of the top-5 tools I had wanted for ages.  :woohoo:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #52 on: February 23, 2019, 09:36:55 AM
Good find then! No excuse not to do some pruning  :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: February 23, 2019, 12:34:46 PM
Nice selection of tools for your collection GLBM  :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: February 23, 2019, 03:07:26 PM
Good find then! No excuse not to do some pruning  :like:
:rofl:
I may have some pruning tools that are a tiny bit less expensive than the Vista.  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: February 23, 2019, 03:08:04 PM
Nice selection of tools for your collection GLBM  :tu: :like:
Thank you, W! :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: February 23, 2019, 03:20:55 PM
 :hatsoff:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #57 on: February 24, 2019, 12:03:01 PM
If only the Vista returned. :dd:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: February 24, 2019, 12:11:46 PM
 :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: February 25, 2019, 02:49:08 AM
Awesome additions, GLBM :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30