Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It is getting more expensive to buy tools on eBay

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
I buy like over 95% of multis, knives, blank media..., meaning I buy often and a lot, on eBay. Not only I often find great deal, I am rarely charged with sale tax. Most of the time, I buy from casual owners, so the tax is likely paid for already. I just learned recently that starting July 2019, eBay will automatically collect 6% sale tax for Pennsylvania on applicable items, even if the seller does not do it himself.

It seems like there are only clothing and shoes for me to buy on eBay after that date. From now until 7/1, I will be more active to watch out for toys before going cold turkey  :oops:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: It is getting more expensive to buy tools on eBay
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 02:54:41 AM
 I'm stopping in 2020 anyway, if they do drop PayPal as they say they're doing. 

And I'm surprised they even do it on used items which is mostly what eBay was founded for. Only rarely do thrift shops collect sales tax. And of course not at the flea market. I personally view eBay as more of an online flea market, and very rarely do I buy new stuff on there.

So far, it's apparently just WA, PA, and OK.  But I'm sure other states will start doing that.  Is it just if you and the seller are in PA; or is it if the seller is in PA period?

https://esellercafe.com/ebay-announces-they-will-start-collecting-sales-tax-2019/

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 03:01:19 AM
Only 12 states so far from this page https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121

Minnesota January 1, 2019

Washington January 1, 2019

Iowa February 1, 2019

Connecticut April 1, 2019

District of Columbia May 1, 2019

Nebraska May 1, 2019

New Jersey May 1, 2019

Alabama July 1, 2019

Oklahoma July 1, 2019

Pennsylvania July 1, 2019

South Dakota July 1, 2019

South Carolina October 1, 2019

I think it is buyer's location specific.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 02:14:26 AM
Well, bought an item today, and noticed sales tax was applied. Apparently VA snuck it in; applicable starting today, actually. WV as well.

I'm not crazy about it, but I don't blame states that do so, especially seeing as how online shopping has gotten. But, I do not see the point in charging it for used items at all.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:45:09 AM by cody6268 »

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 07:37:08 PM
It's funny... You should try from this side of the pond sometime...  ;)

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 08:59:27 PM
It's funny... You should try from this side of the pond sometime...  ;)

:D

I agree. 5.3% sales tax isn't like the the huge VAT and import fees you've got to pay over there--and not to mention, on the sites I have bookmarked that sell certain knives and such that aren't widely sold in the US (i.e. Finnish Ranger Pukko, Mikov knives); the items they sell that are available widely here cost at least double over there. I've ordered stuff from the UK, Canada, Germany, and Japan (and I want to say Italy?) and I've never paid any kind of duty or fee.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 07:09:12 PM
I agree. 5.3% sales tax isn't like the the huge VAT and import fees you've got to pay over there--and not to mention, on the sites I have bookmarked that sell certain knives and such that aren't widely sold in the US (i.e. Finnish Ranger Pukko, Mikov knives); the items they sell that are available widely here cost at least double over there. I've ordered stuff from the UK, Canada, Germany, and Japan (and I want to say Italy?) and I've never paid any kind of duty or fee.

Not only that, but most of the times USPS postal charges just kill the good deal. I do find a bargain now and then though  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56