Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bearing inside of LM pliers question

MMR · 13 · 898

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Bearing inside of LM pliers question
on: February 01, 2019, 04:50:45 PM
I know I have made a thread about the pliers being stiff on my Rebar before, and even though I have only had my surge for two weeks now, I still think they are a bit stiffer than they should be. But oddly enough, the Surges pliers are stiff in a different way than my Rebars, My rebars were stiff in a very strange way, they would stiffen up and almost lock solid if I squeezed them hard on something, where as my Surges pliers are stiff in a more constant and dry feeling way, they just feel like a dry bearing.

I have tried to give them some penetrating oil, 3-in-1 oil, fully synthetic 5w30 engine oil and some "tool oil" I got with a MT I ordered a while ago, and none really seem to make a big difference. So I know it's not the because the pliers are not lubricated.

On my LM Kick and LM Charge (none replaceable wire cutters models), when they were new, they were a little stiff, but after giving them some oil and opening and closing them over and over, this sort of black sludge would come out of the bearing area of the pliers and then they would be perfect from there on. So I'm guessing they were just metal on metal.

But these new leatherman pliers with the replaceable cutters seem to react completely different.

I do want to say that the pliers in my Surge are no where near as bad as the pliers in my Rebar, not even remotely. I am not complaining about my Surge in anyway, just want to make that clear, I love the thing!

I have been googling around and seen other people report the same kind of stiffness, some say the new design with replaceable cutters will free up after about a year of regular usage (Really?), others say they have fixed it using bicycle chain oil containing teflon (One in question being a Wave). Which makes me wonder what kind of bearing in in the LM pliers.

It has a kind of Nylon plastic bearing "feel" to it in the Surge, but I highly doubt that is the case.

Does anyone know what kind of bearing are in the pliers?

Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Re: Bearing inside of LM pliers question
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:56:46 PM

Just to be clear; I am referring to this part here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 05:00:42 PM
There is no bearing, just a  press fit metal pivot.  My Surge is a bit stiff as well but all my Leathermans have loosened over time and use.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:13:43 PM
There is no bearing, just a  press fit metal pivot.  My Surge is a bit stiff as well but all my Leathermans have loosened over time and use.

How long have you had your Surge for?

I am just kind of surprised that they are stiff the way they are, and how long they remain stiff for, and its strange because every other tool on the surge is smooth, its just the pliers that feel stiff.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:14:40 PM

:iagree:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 05:16:44 PM
I've had mine about a year but it hasn't been used a lot as I rotate my tools everyday. There is a Surge challenge coming up and I hope that It will get a bit more broken in . My guess is that to avoid warranty issues with loose pivots Leatherman may be pressing them a bit tighter that in the past.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 05:20:35 PM
My Supertool 300 which is older 2013 has a fairly loose pivot, without being sloppy. It has been used a lot more but they also may not having been pressing them as tight back then

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 05:34:47 PM
I just find it kind of strange that everything else on both my Surge and Rebar opens and closes smoothly.

Like on my Surge; all the OHO tools opens with ease, the folding of the handles are so smooth I can flick it open, and all the internal tools opens and closes with ease as well, I barely even need to use my nails to get them out. It's just that "pivot" in the pliers that feels stiff  :dunno:
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 05:40:26 PM
I mean; I'm not going to keep making a fuzz about it (like you said, they will likely loosen up over time and with use. Plus I have only had mine for 2 weeks), and on the surge; it's not like I can't use the pliers (not at all like that). I just think it's strange that they are like that and everything else is smooth and opens and closes with ease.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 05:42:48 PM
Could be a bit of metal within the pivot?  Could be a burr?  I imagine the prolonged use are the parts will "grinding" each other smooth  :dunno:.  Maybe try flushing out the pivot with thinner oil as you open and close the tool.  You might see some black gunk coming out.  Keep flushing out wiping as you go.  You could dip plier head into oil as you open and close just so you can operate tool  :dunno:.  I've had a couple tools that were a bit stiff but they worked themselves out with use. 

Dont know if this will help, just rambling.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 05:52:57 PM
Could be a bit of metal within the pivot?  Could be a burr?  I imagine the prolonged use are the parts will "grinding" each other smooth  :dunno:.  Maybe try flushing out the pivot with thinner oil as you open and close the tool.  You might see some black gunk coming out.  Keep flushing out wiping as you go.  You could dip plier head into oil as you open and close just so you can operate tool  :dunno:.  I've had a couple tools that were a bit stiff but they worked themselves out with use. 

That is very likely the case.

I have been trying with different oils, but they don't really seem to make any real difference to be honest, even the penetrating oil.

Just strange they would leave the factory with a pivoting point without a turned surface...almost like taking two cast surfaces and pressing them together.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 06:56:01 PM

That is very likely the case.

I have been trying with different oils, but they don't really seem to make any real difference to be honest, even the penetrating oil.

Just strange they would leave the factory with a pivoting point without a turned surface...almost like taking two cast surfaces and pressing them together.
I refurbished a very rusted wirecutter using Alohas method, but I used diesel instead of oil to begin with. The diesel cleans very well and lubricates a little so you could try that

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline gregpost

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 07:03:49 PM
In my experiences Leatherman tools actually get better when you use them a lot. They're the opposite of other multitools which are precise and "perfect" out of the box and degrade as you use them. I've had a couple of "stiff" Leatherman tools as well and as I used them I was rewarded with a better tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%