Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any thoughts on the Mark 2?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Any thoughts on the Mark 2?
on: September 12, 2020, 05:21:37 AM
Lately, I've renewed my interest in the Mark 2 knife, the grand old man of the Gerber lineup.  I really don't have a need for one, but I've been enamored with it since I was a teenager.  Anyone own one?  What are your thoughts?  The older ones are legendary, but come with legendary price tag too :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Any thoughts on the Mark 2?
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 05:01:37 PM
I've been wanting a V-42/Fairbairn Sykes knife that is affordable, American made, and actually usable as an outdoor/survival-type knife, instead of as a close-quarters combat weapon as most these type are.  During WWII, my great-great uncle was issued a V-42, but it was stolen in the early '70s after his death. Originals were well past my budget at thousands of dollars. THe $400 Case remake is too much as well. I've looked at all the alternatives myself.   My list is whittled down to two. The actual Fairbairn Sykes is not that expensive, but the currently produced Nowill and Sons versions have somewhat poor sheaths and well, fragile tips since the design is unchanged from its original purpose and design from WWII.

The Gerber Mark II, last time I checked was $75 on Amazon. It's heavy duty and has serrations. Not to mention, affordable. I like the Kabar Eks as well, but the purchase of one of those will have to wait until Kabar's 50% off Cyber Monday sale in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 05:34:17 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 10:46:59 PM
That's what I was thinking too Cody.  I have a mid 80's Japanese clone, well made, but has no edge.  I was wondering how the real thing was for a cutting knife.  Admittedly, it's a dagger, but I wouldn't mind taking it camping from time to time.  Unless we suddenly get an invasion from Mars, my fighting days are probably over  :rofl:
Barry

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 02:05:23 PM
I have a Mk2. It is a very nice dagger. I think you will be happy with one.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Any thoughtThanks on the Mark 2?
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 05:17:42 PM
Thanks Chako!  How is it blade wise?  Can you get a good cutting edge on it?  I've lusted for one off and on since at least 1983, when I first saw a limited edition advertised. 
Barry

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 06:41:03 PM
I haven't used it much...having bought it at a local pawnshop because it looked interesting. The serrations are always a bit challenging to sharpen once they need it. It does feel great in the hand...and the knife looks terrifying and looks the business.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69