Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Calling all Canucks 2037

Sr. Member Posts: 264
Re: Calling all Canucks
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2019, 06:24:11 PM »
Some ZT and Kershaw are alledgedly comming in ( as per several people on Canadian Knives and Gear ) well . Spyderco stuff is deffo comming in Warriors is selling out on new stuff , and bringing in more .

Not sure WTAF is going on . Outfits like MEC and Victorinox have lots of OHO stuff ( visited the Swiss Army Store in Toronto ) .

Best Regards ,

Chris
Sr. Member Posts: 348
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2019, 03:47:58 AM »
I may not be up to date on this.  I see that the mountain equipment coop (mec.ca) carries the victorinox soldier lock blade and rangergrip.  Both have one hand opening lock blade knives but also have several other functions including separate screwdrivers and saws.  They also carry the Gerber Order drop point knife which certainly looks like a oho knife and the Buck Spitfire knife which they advertise as OHO.  There are at least two more that are single blades and at least designed to be opened one handed.  They used to carry the Sentinel - a oho single blade knife but do not have it in their catalogue now (at least on line).

I also see that Warriors and Wonders seems to be carrying a lot of one hand opening knives - not sure if this is old stock or they are now able to bring in new stock from across the border.

My question relates to the definition of a one hand opening knife - are the knives (OHO) with other separate implements not covered by this ban?  As you may know I had a sanrenmu/land oho knife seized by the "gentlemen" at the border about a year ago.  I don't really wish to donate further to their cause but would like to know the answer to this question.

Also are there changes to the application of their ruling because it certainly seems to me that the wholesalers in Canada have managed to get around the border "security" ruling.  One way would be to have the supplier tighten up the pivot screws - I wonder if this is the case?

Thank you.

John.
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2019, 03:53:37 AM »
Further to the above Warriors and Wonders has under New Products a number of oho knives - mentioned by Chris above.

Anyone who can clarify this - it would be appreciated.

John.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,495 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2019, 04:50:50 AM »
Further to the above Warriors and Wonders has under New Products a number of oho knives - mentioned by Chris above.

Anyone who can clarify this - it would be appreciated.

John.

hey John, here are the news I read yesterday about this "situation":  :salute:

W&W just got the first shipment from ZT in years. Also, for the first time in years (if ever?) knifecenter policy has been updated where they will now ship ZT knives to Canada.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2019, 02:23:06 AM »
ThePeacent - thanks for the information.  Can you let me know where you saw this?

I was by a local shop today and noted that they had quite a good selection of oho knives - including Spyderco and Benchmade (a lot of other makes also).  I had a discussion with the younger gentleman behind the counter.  He advised that they do not import anything - they get it from wholesalers.  Before Christmas (Dec. 2018) he said they were very low on stock but just before Christmas they were able to get a good supply in.  He seemed to think that bringing in small quantities and "non threatening" looking knives was the key to getting them by customs.  I did note a number of flippers and others that certainly looked like customs would stop them.

In short I am somewhat at a loss as to what is going on.  Could it be that commercial entries are now allowed but personal ones are not??  I just don't know.

John.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,495 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2019, 07:27:53 PM »
ThePeacent - thanks for the information.  Can you let me know where you saw this?
Could it be that commercial entries are now allowed but personal ones are not??  I just don't know.

John.

that seems to be the case,
and I read that update from a Canadian member of BladeForums  :dunno:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $253.00
PayPal Fees: $15.34
Net Balance: $237.66
Below Goal: $62.34
Site Currency: USD
79%