Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs in public places (or other multitools)

Top-Gear-24 · 2096 · 109576

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SAKs in public places (or other multitools)
Reply #2070 on: February 20, 2024, 06:11:59 PM
Well, my Airboss with the blue dial has a Sellita movement, while the one with the black dial has an ETA movement  :).

Victorinox used ETA first, but then switched to Sellita if what I heard was true.  It doesn't make much difference, they are actually as good as identical.  The Sellita has one more jewel, but it's located in a place where having a jewel or not doesn't really make a difference.  And although both movements are identical, most of their components are not interchangeable.

It wasn't my intention to offend when I said it was more dressy, I like dress watches, but I'm quite a big and heavy person (194cm, 128 kg...  :-[) and a fine dress watch just looks awkward on me, I need something a bit more rugged (it might just be in my head  ::)).

And you're right, a dress watch can surely be used for hiking, flea market tours and Lego playing  ;).
I have several Divers and not only do I not own a dive suit, I'm not even that great of a swimmer.  And pilot watches, while I like flying, I can get airsick very quickly in turbulent weather.  In my defence, I've only flown in small Cesna like planes, since I'm very hesitant to get on an 8 hour flight knowing I get airsick so easily (most people tell me that flying in a 747 is way smoother as in a Cesna, but last Cesna flight I was on only lasted an hour, and I was so happy to be on solid ground again, I can only imagine what 8 hours of that must feel like...  :ahhh).

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #2071 on: February 20, 2024, 10:36:50 PM
Hello Eric

I read somewhere that manufacturers sometimes switch between Sellita and ETA and - as you say - the differences are insignificant.

Eric, I didn't take that as an insult! I feel completely comfortable in the role of ignoring the trends. In the last few months I have been to almost all the watch shops in my region, some have thousands of watches on display - and hardly a dress watch. The divers, pilots and racing watches seem to be extremely popular at the moment - rightly so - great masterpieces with many functions. The trend is also clear in the watch forums. What I've noticed again and again is the common opinion that you can wear a diver, pilot, or racing watch practically any time, but a dress watch with a men's suit - I find that funny. But like I said, I don't care. Minimalism, reduction to the most essential is quite often my style, that's just me. Everyone the way they like it. Others enjoy their Swisschamp, I enjoy my one-layer SAK.  :)

In my opinion, the most important argument for wearing a watch these days is not the necessity but rather the enjoyment the wearer gets from it. That's the only thing that counts. How dare I seriously judge other people's tastes? That's not my place, but a little bit of fun and teasing is okay.  ;)

The fact that I now enjoy an old-fashioned grandpa clock the most is almost certainly only in my head and I even know how that came about because I have a childhood memory that has completely triggered me ever since:

My grandfather was a big, strong man. He had a 36mm Omega (back then a common men's size), which is now with my father and looks quite similar to my Hamilton. Once, I was maybe 5 and my grandfather wanted me to read the time on his watch. I failed and asked plaintively why his watch didn't even have numbers. I can still hear his answer in the broadest Swiss German to this day: "Wäme chli eltär isch, weiss me da eifach, da bruuchts kei Zahle!" When you're a little older, you just know that, no numbers are needed!
I can't get that out of my head every time I see a clock with numbers...
 :doh:  :surrender:

Although I don't have a problem with flying, I've only been on a larger plane twice. Zurich Berlin and back. As a child, I flew a few times with my father in a small aircraft (like a Cessna) in the Swiss Alps, and once we landed on a glacier. My father wanted to make me happy but I was more afraid than happy. When we are on holiday in Croatia we sometimes fly to the coast in a Cessna in the evening sun, just 20 or 30 minutes. We love it! Always the same Cessna and the same pilot. The plane is ancient and the pilot is at least three times as old. We always joke: "If he wasn't a good pilot, he wouldn't have lived to be so old" Oh, I miss the sea...

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #2072 on: February 24, 2024, 08:26:57 PM
Time for our daily dose of fresh raw milk. Thank you ladies.

Just sit there, look out over the area, drink milk and then walk back home.

(Leo Tolstoy)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2073 on: February 25, 2024, 12:42:38 AM
What fab pics Peter, the flying looks a lot of fun. I’ve only been in a small plane once, very different experience from the normal commercial craft I fly

:cheers:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #2074 on: March 03, 2024, 07:47:21 PM
Thank you John.  :cheers:  Oh yes that was it, really special fun for us!

Today with my son in the forest. Sun, 16 °C, small fire for our sausages, was really cozy.

(Leo Tolstoy)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2075 on: March 04, 2024, 03:32:37 AM
Looks like a great day out :like:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2076 on: March 31, 2024, 06:53:59 AM
I actually got of the burbs for the first time in a while, you’ll recognise this spot as I always climb up it when in the mountains

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #2077 on: March 31, 2024, 11:36:49 AM
What a beautiful landscape. It seems like you enjoyed the trip. In my area it's hard to find a few hills without buildings. Thanks for the beautiful pictures.  :like:
(Leo Tolstoy)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2078 on: March 31, 2024, 12:36:27 PM
In my area, it's hard to find hills  :D.

Hey guys, my apologies for my absence, work has been brutal these passed weeks (with doing overtime becoming a knew standard, it seems).

But thank you both for the absolutely stunning pics you guys have posted here. It's always a joy when I visit MTO and see this topic pop up.

Anyway, next week we have a week vacation, and even though the misses and I have quite a lot of work to do in the garden/jungle, we do plan on visiting some places and going on a hike or two, hopefully the weather isn't too bad so we can take a couple of pics.

Stay safe my friends, and thanks again for those beautiful pictures.

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #2079 on: March 31, 2024, 05:54:51 PM
Hello all. I've just started back posting on MTO again after life just dragged me away. It's good to see the usual faces posting the usual quality photos. I've been out and about today and managed to get a couple of contributions for here to ease myself back in gently.

We have the tools, we have the talent!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2080 on: April 01, 2024, 12:08:03 AM
Thanks chaps :tu:
Good to see you back Michael

fr Offline FrenchEOD

Reply #2081 on: April 01, 2024, 04:03:14 PM
I will place the first shots, hope somebody else will follow or this will be a very short topic  :dwts:.
I've already posted the following pics here in other topics, but for now they are the only ones I have.

Here we go:

First one is my Victorinox Explorer at the historical site "Bayernwald" in Belgium, at his site you can see some original German trenches from World War I.

(Image removed from quote.)

Here you see the same Victorinox Explorer at "the trenches of death", also in Belgium.  These are Belgian trenches from World War I.

And here a more recent one, my Victorinox Spirit, pic taking during a hike at the "Nahtsief" trail in the Belgian Ardennes last week.

Jolies photos voisin  :like: :hatsoff:
if you ride like lightning you're gonna crash like thunder

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #2082 on: April 06, 2024, 09:50:48 AM
Thanks chaps :tu:
Good to see you back Michael

Cheers mate. It's good to see Coco is still getting out and about. :tu:
We have the tools, we have the talent!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2083 on: April 07, 2024, 05:28:59 AM
Thanks Michael :tu: she’s 14 in May and still hanging in there

au Offline Echotech

SAKs in public places (or other multitools)
Reply #2084 on: April 07, 2024, 05:33:14 AM
Bit of excitement over the weekend. We had a massive storm (200mm rain) on Friday alone. I was woken about midnight and discovered the power was out

Saturday discovered why, this is the street behind mine almost level with my place

Brought down the power lines. We had emergency services arrive first thing and worked into last night with chainsaws, cranes etc

And this morning

No one was hurt but that BMW isn’t going anywhere fast

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2085 on: April 07, 2024, 09:54:42 AM
Great pics!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2086 on: April 07, 2024, 03:52:03 PM

Jolies photos voisin  :like: :hatsoff:

Thank you my friend  :salute:.

The very first pictures in this topic, nice to see them again (too bad about the photo bucket watermark all over them, back then I still used Photobucket, that was before they tried to scr*w everyone over).

Anyway, after seeing those old pics I just had to go through this entire topic again, and it's become a collection of really beautiful pictures from all over the world, just like I hoped it would when I started it.

Feel free to post your own pics here as well, tools, watches, pets, scenery shots, anything goes  :tu:.

Greetings from Belgium,

Eric

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2087 on: April 07, 2024, 03:54:58 PM
Hello all. I've just started back posting on MTO again after life just dragged me away. It's good to see the usual faces posting the usual quality photos. I've been out and about today and managed to get a couple of contributions for here to ease myself back in gently.

Good to see you back Michael  :tu:.

And thank you for sharing those great pics, I wasn't a fan of those colourfull SAKs, but seeing these pics I might have to reconsider that opinion  ;).

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2088 on: April 07, 2024, 04:45:03 PM
Hey John,

Glad to hear nobody got hurt, that's an impressive tree, that poor BMW didn't stand a chance...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2089 on: April 08, 2024, 01:05:16 AM
Just had a week of vacation, 3 days were spend reshaping the garden, it has always been a very wet garden, and grass would always turn into mud pools. 

So we decided to dig away the upper layer, place a layer of anti-root plastic first, with plastic grids on top of them, the part bordering the house was filled with fine gravel, the part in the back with wood bark chips (no idea what they are called in English).

And when the work was done we had a couple of very rainy days, good to test the new setup, not so good to go outside and enjoy our vacation...

We did get two days of good weather, and here are the pics of the first one.

The misses and I went to visit the Abbey of Tongerlo, a half our drive away, and the brewery I work for makes the Tongerlo beer, so about time for a visit.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2090 on: April 08, 2024, 10:37:59 AM
You’re not wrong Eric, poor BMW!

Sounds like you’ve been very busy with your yard, hope it works well, drainage can be a real pain…we call them wood chips here

Lovely looking place, do like a nice historic building

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2091 on: April 08, 2024, 10:38:41 AM

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #2092 on: April 08, 2024, 10:51:45 PM
Welcome back, Michael. Nice to see a Vic. Companion in circulation.

Impressive pictures, John. Glad you stayed harmless. A polish won't help this BMW anymore...

Nice pictures Eric! What a nice place. Such old buildings with a history fascinate me, love it.
(Leo Tolstoy)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2093 on: April 09, 2024, 01:36:56 AM
Thanks Peter :cheers:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2094 on: April 10, 2024, 11:11:36 PM
Bit of excitement over the weekend. We had a massive storm (200mm rain) on Friday alone. I was woken about midnight and discovered the power was out

Good it was just a bit of excitement. Too much excitement could have been bad!

Gives me seconds thoughts about that big tree by our house...
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2095 on: April 11, 2024, 05:32:07 AM
Yes, too much excitement for the BMW but at least no one was hurt
Big trees are definitely scary when they hit the ground!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%