Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best series to collect?

CeHo · 10 · 517

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Best series to collect?
on: February 08, 2019, 03:13:02 PM
Hey,

what do you think is the best multitool-series to collect?

There are different perspectives: value development, interests of other collectors, rarity, look and feel, ...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Best series to collect?
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 03:18:56 PM
Do not get started with the PSTs  :whistle:.   

How about the Juice Line?  There are some very hard to get if not impossible to get versions so if completing your series is mandatory  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 03:51:00 PM
My favorites are the Wenger (New)Ranger series, the Vic Alox limited edition and the Nespresso edition!

The juice line is also nice, especially with the rare one like the kf4 and the juice pro  :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 03:53:20 PM
Do not get started with the PSTs  :whistle:.   

How about the Juice Line?  There are some very hard to get if not impossible to get versions so if completing your series is mandatory  :dunno:.

Who would have thought that the humble pst have so many variations.. The recent FS thread with wowboro's pst starting by the #3xx scares me..  :pok:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 03:56:30 PM
I gave up on the PST and JPST  ;).  I have specimens that I'm happy with and  :hatsoff: to all who forge on. 

As to the Juice line.  The Original SX and Camo versions will be hard to come by as would the Green one. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 02:14:25 PM
If expense is a consideration (and it should be ! ) then I suggest you consider collecting something that not many others are into.  This will give you both more opportunities and lower per unit cost.

As an example I several years ago I started to collect the Stanley Watch/Clock tool series (the ones that were promotional items and originally came in the Stanley mini-toolbox).  Because at that time I wasn't competing with many other collectors I manged to find most variants,  and significantly cheaper than the prices I had to pay for more collectible MTs (eg Gerber MP650 Evolution).  Early Gerber Multi-Pliers (Mr Pinchies) used to be less expensive, but they seem to be a bit collectible too, so prices have gone up lately (particularly for the v1.x variants).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 02:44:40 PM
Personally, I get tired at some point, with buying nearly identical tools, even though finishes and tool arrangements are slightly different.
I like variation more than trying to complete any series.
However, that said, a lot of people enjoy having a complete set of a series tool with slight variations and/or brand/advertising stamping/printing.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 05:48:23 AM
The Wenger Titanium series only has 3 knives so it was my first "complete" collection.

One day I hope to find another of the Ueli Steck version at a decent price so I can modify/replace the blade to make it my daily carry.

As other people have pointed out the LM Juice series has had a decent variety of alterations over the years that makes them interesting to collect while not necessarily breaking the bank in the process until you get the rarest of them.

The colored Alox quest is one to be wary of so maybe stick to local company based color variations to keep costs down? In North America DLT has Blue or Black alox; Swiss Bianco has quite a few at a much higher cost.

My current focus is on the 84mm Vic line with attention given to 74mm's if they cross my path at a decent value.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:14 AM
Alox Nespresso line for sure, but getting started now would be too late since prices have gone up really fast since 2016.
You got in that rabbit hole in time though :D

84mm with scissors... just about any model I can find (always on the cheap... I'm just like that ::)   )

And Vintage SAKs. Both officer's and Soldier's knives from the 70's and before.

I'm still missing a bailed SAK with exposed rivets and old awl :drool:

So if someone comes across one of those :pok:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:55:43 PM
To be brutally honest I think collecting Wenger Rangers now will be pretty hard. The ones that are readily available are the most common versions. In your shoes I would definitely go after the Wenger Evo-Wood series and pick up the matching Rangers as they pop up. Also grab the Three SOG Paladins, how about the 3 versions of the Spyderco spyderench??
The Ranger line runs to around 100 different variations. Have you got the three Vic butane lighters??
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%