Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help ID a few SAK's Victoria/Victorinox/Wenger

Offline Matthew P

on: February 11, 2019, 03:00:58 PM
First post here so wanted to just say a quick hello, been reading for awhile but for some reason the "register" part was not working for me haha, but i finally made it!
The first one is a Victorinox with Victoria on the back stamp and measures 91mm, I thought it was a Champion "C" but I cannot find any information on this model also having the Victorionix stamp and also the Victoria stamp on the back side. The second one i think is a Victorinox Director but can't find an example that has the same type of horizonal ribbing on scales. The third a 85mm Wenger i thought was a Swiss Army EvoWood 17 but this one has a Phillips head screw driver not a corkscrew and again couldn't find any other examples that match it. Thanks in advance for any any all help, these can really be a pain to ID with so many different types haha. I tried to attach and add photos in the post, let me know if any others would help! Thanks Again

DSC_0767.JPG
* DSC_0767.JPG (Filesize: 134.89 KB)
DSC_0768.JPG
* DSC_0768.JPG (Filesize: 107.51 KB)
DSC_0772.JPG
* DSC_0772.JPG (Filesize: 113.6 KB)
DSC_0775.JPG
* DSC_0775.JPG (Filesize: 145.18 KB)

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Help ID a few SAK's Victoria/Victorinox/Wenger
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:33:27 PM
This definetly Director https://leaf-vics.com/2017/07/548-director.html it has same model as this

Only Tools Matters

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:58:30 PM
Hi Matthew... Welcome to :MTO:

You came to the right place... The first one is definitely a Champion C... Can’t remember the exact period when The Victoria stamp on the reverse tang was used... But there is a complete resource list stickied on top of the Swiss Army Knights Forum...

Here’s the link:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=75774.0

It’s the most comprehensive list with regards to dating (identifying production year) I have seen... And it was compiled by some of our members here... Included in the list is the updated Tang stamp chart created by Ulli...

Judging from the presence of the magnifying glass/inline phillips layer and the lack of hook behind the scissors, I would say between 1973-1991... looking closely at the the other tools and apart from the tang stamp can help you narrow it down further... included in the resource mentioned above is a link to SAAM’s 91mm tools evolution...

Hope you enjoy your stay here... and looking forward to seeing you in the other threads :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:13:52 PM by jaya_man »

Offline Matthew P

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:16:20 PM
Thanks, I also noticed that the logo on the scales is a gold color, the cap lifter has the wire stripper so that should date it pre-1980 and the bottle opener does not have the PAT+ so after 1975.  Is there a known year when they stopped using the Victoria stamp all together?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:19:22 PM
I’m no Wenger expert but it looks similar to the Evowood 16 sans keyring...

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=EVO+16

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 04:21:05 PM
Your guess is as good as mine... Hopefully others will chime in...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 04:25:55 PM
Just checked... that particular Victoria stamp was used between 57-74... the lack of the PAT+ stamp may indicate probably at one time, the SAK was sent in for repairs... or there were still some victoria stamped blades in stock which needs to be cleared out... A transition year...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:29:50 PM by jaya_man »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 04:26:40 PM
Welcome to  :MTO: Matthew  :cheers: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Offline Matthew P

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:50:12 PM
Thanks thats what I thought and honestly what was really boggling my mind on that one, haha.
Just checked... that particular Victoria stamp was used between 57-74... the lack of the PAT+ stamp may indicate probably at one time, the SAK was sent in for repairs... or there were still some victoria stamped blades in stock which needs to be cleared out... A transition year...

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:12:19 PM
That's definitely a c.1973 Champion 'C' It might be exactly '73, but definitely +/- only a year, tops.

Agreed that the other one is a Director

Nice stuff and WELCOME to :MTO:!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline Matthew P

Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 05:48:28 PM
Talking about the Victoria stamp without the PAT stamp reminded me of this one which also had me stumped on a model and just took a few photos, It is 91mm has the older square style Phillips driver and solid reamer, older metal tweezers, wire stripper.... Also has the Victoria stamp without the PAT stamp and the goldish logo on the scales. Looks similar to the Master Craftsman but the photos on SAKWIKI had only the astronaut version and lists that it should have more than 2 back layer tools.... Thanks again you guys are great.

Offline Matthew P

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 05:49:54 PM
Thanks, the first reply on the director help alot. I knew they had variations in the scales but no idea there were so many.

That's definitely a c.1973 Champion 'C' It might be exactly '73, but definitely +/- only a year, tops.

(Image removed from quote.)

Agreed that the other one is a Director

Nice stuff and WELCOME to :MTO:!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 06:02:50 PM
Talking about the Victoria stamp without the PAT stamp reminded me of this one which also had me stumped on a model and just took a few photos, It is 91mm has the older square style Phillips driver and solid reamer, older metal tweezers, wire stripper.... Also has the Victoria stamp without the PAT stamp and the goldish logo on the scales. Looks similar to the Master Craftsman but the photos on SAKWIKI had only the astronaut version and lists that it should have more than 2 back layer tools.... Thanks again you guys are great.

That is a Pre '73 Master Craftsman. Likely '71 (maybe late) or early '72. I have a '72 like that, but with the smooth, no can-key Phillips. There is a period in the late '60s where the +PAT was omitted so that is also a possibility.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 06:48:42 PM
Thanks, the first reply on the director help alot. I knew they had variations in the scales but no idea there were so many.

Welcome to MTo!

I think I have 74mm SAKs with 8 or so different guilloché patterns. Some of them are pretty uncommon. There should be a thread on that topic somewhere...
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 06:55:12 PM
Found it (wow has it been that long ago?)
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45279.0.html
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline Matthew P

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 07:03:20 PM
Thanks, I thought so but just dont see many of them at all.  Whats with the Goldish color logos, is that normal?

That is a Pre '73 Master Craftsman. Likely '71 (maybe late) or early '72. I have a '72 like that, but with the smooth, no can-key Phillips. There is a period in the late '60s where the +PAT was omitted so that is also a possibility.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:29 PM
Thanks, I thought so but just dont see many of them at all.  Whats with the Goldish color logos, is that normal?

Yes, that's normal. The Cross/Shields are Nickel Silver and take a yellowish/gold tone.

Offline Matthew P

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 08:46:49 PM
ohh, got it. Another unknown bites the dust, thanks.

Yes, that's normal. The Cross/Shields are Nickel Silver and take a yellowish/gold tone.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 09:02:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Matthew! :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 09:15:59 PM
ohh, got it. Another unknown bites the dust, thanks.

:tu:

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 09:20:31 PM
Welcome to the forum Matthew. Nice 1973(74) Champion, they are not common with pre73 and post73 tools together.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%