Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2 91mm modding ideas

gb Offline craggus2000

2 91mm modding ideas
on: February 12, 2019, 06:32:18 PM
I'm trying to think of a new EDC for myself, currently I have an Excelsior with custom kingwood scales, which is a neat little package, but thinking I might start carrying a little more all round useful iykwim...
So with that in mind I'm considering creating a mod!  :facepalm:   well a custom config at least.

So far these are my two ideas, both 91mm as I like that form factor....
1 - large blade, flat head screwdriver/combo tool and Philips screwdriver all in one layer.
2 - large blade, flat head screwdriver/combo tool, Philips screwdriver, Scissors, wood saw, nail file in as few layers as possible.

For those in the know, do you think these are possible using stock parts?

Thanks
-
Craggus2000

"If it ain't broke, break it and make it better!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: 2 91mm modding ideas
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:48:33 PM
I'm trying to think of a new EDC for myself, currently I have an Excelsior with custom kingwood scales, which is a neat little package, but thinking I might start carrying a little more all round useful iykwim...
So with that in mind I'm considering creating a mod!  :facepalm:   well a custom config at least.

1 - large blade, flat head screwdriver/combo tool and Philips screwdriver all in one layer.
2 - large blade, flat head screwdriver/combo tool, Philips screwdriver, Scissors, wood saw, nail file in as few layers as possible.

Thanks

If you're happy with the nail file on the hook, both can be achieved with just a Compact, a Hiker, and a Duke of Edinburgh.

Remove the corkscrew from the Compact, and replace it with the Phillips from the Hiker, and add the Hiker's saw layer. That's knife 2 sorted. Remove the round nosed blade from the DofE, and replace it with the hiker's main blade, and drop the scissors layer for knife 1. Job done.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:07:49 PM
Didn't think it would be that simple, thanks  :salute:

How about this for a curve-ball... I'd rather have a proper nail file if possible, but also how about adding the orange peeler from a 74mm executive? It makes a good box cutter. Happy to cut down a bit if the only place it can go is as a middle tool but ideally it would go on an end.  :popcorn:
-
Craggus2000

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:24 PM
Hummm  :popcorn:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:21:41 PM

Thanks

I think those have all been done before.  'Compact Tinker' was the first I think, and the other a 'Compact Huntsman' so something along those lines. Pretty sure I found them a while back in the SAK mod thread in the Mod forum. Easy to do, as long as you mean using the standard 91mm Combo Tool.

How about this for a curve-ball... I'd rather have a proper nail file if possible, but also how about adding the orange peeler from a 74mm executive? It makes a good box cutter. Happy to cut down a bit if the only place it can go is as a middle tool but ideally it would go on an end.  :popcorn:

I don't know about getting 74mm parts to work in a 91mm, If you don't want to add the whole metal file in, I think the 84mm nail file would be easiest. But not sure where you'd want to put it without adding a second knife layer or making a blade-less version.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Frailer

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 01:53:46 AM
FYI, Victorinox has done knife #1, albeit in very small numbers.

The 2011 VSAKCs knife had this configuration.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 07:16:14 AM

Now you're just being awkward :D

Easiest file mod for the 91, is adding a full metal file layer - but one of the older less aggressive ones. I wouldn't bother with the orange peeler, as that's a lot of jiggery pokery to try and modify that to fit somewhere, including potentially having to create a whole new pivot hole and tang profile.

For a "full size" Swiss knife box cutter, consider the Wenger (Victorinox Delemont) lines, and sharpen the can opener. Those 85mm knives tend to have nail files as standard to complement the main blade, instead of the redundant small blade. Or if you stick with 91mm format, there's the Pruner blade off the 93mm knives.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:52 AM
Or if you stick with 91mm format, there's the Pruner blade off the 93mm knives.

Nice suggestion. Pruner blades make great box cutters. There are also 91mm pruners from the 'original' Outdoorsman and Picnicker (Campingmesser) knives. A little spendy to get ones in good condition, though.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 02:13:38 PM
If anyone know where I can get some of these parts at a good price (or wants to donate any :whistle:), please let me know!
-
Craggus2000

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 08:30:58 PM
So.... I have another idea for a box cutter.  :think:

I'm thinking about cutting and regrinding a small blade to be a similar shape to the lower and middle sections of the executive orange peeler.

That way it could be in the same layer as the large blade, but then I need to have a think about location for the combo tool. Do you think if I cut a metal saw/file down it could go in the same layer as the combo tool??
-
Craggus2000

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:46:18 PM
I think modifying the small blade makes sense, but not so sure about modifying the Metal file to fit with the Combo tool.  The Combo tools bit best in a knife-like layer.  I think it would be easier to use the 84mm nail file on the wide end and put the Combo tool on the narrow end like I did here:

I like the Combo tool there. It is more resistant to closing than the Cap lifter/SD with the 'locking' nub post '99. Better for use as a pry tool there. I call it 'kamakiri-style'  :D

If you want to shorten a file, I'd do one of the newer stainless '04+' versions.

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 10:22:47 AM
I think it would be easier to use the 84mm nail file on the wide end and put the Combo tool on the narrow end like I did

You mean in the same layer? Never thought of that. It should sit quite well hopefully.

It's a shame you can't buy used parts from Victorinox, would be good from a modding perspective!!
-
Craggus2000

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 01:59:40 PM
Yet another idea  :D

Could a file go in place of the reamer/awl? Aware it might need a spacer of some sort to thicken it, but 84mm file best?

Just wondering if I really need the saw in my EDC, thereby reducing number of layers to 3 as well.
-
Craggus2000

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 02:17:57 PM

Could a file go in place of the reamer/awl? Aware it might need a spacer of some sort to thicken it, but 84mm file best?

Just wondering if I really need the saw in my EDC, thereby reducing number of layers to 3 as well.

I'm pretty sure that's been done with the nail file from a 58mm Classic

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 04:51:44 AM

That would be the part to use. Split the spring and you could fit two 58mm tools in there.

Did they relocate the nail nick to do it? Or leave the file side out? And put the nick in the file side like a Leatherman? Either makes sense to me over an 84mm  in the back...except that the 84mm already has a 2.2mm hole in it...

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 07:05:34 AM
That would be the part to use. Split the spring and you could fit two 58mm tools in there.
How do you mean?
-
Craggus2000

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 03:48:34 PM
It will not be a mod, but if you can live with 84 mm, Kinife 1 can be o´bought as an Apprentice in 84 mm.

A box cutter can maybe be made out of the small curved, serrated blade found on the 111 Hunter or the tool they use on teh Böker Tech tools. The Wenger Can opener is quite a good box opener ot of the box.

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 07:40:41 PM

Has anyone got any pics of this? I've had a search on here and can't find any....  :dunno:
-
Craggus2000

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 07:52:43 PM

Has anyone got any pics of this? I've had a search on here and can't find any....  :dunno:

I found scissors....

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,15424.msg299278.html

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 02:42:20 AM
How do you mean?

Mill two knife springs in half length wise. Two 'thin' 58mm tools could fit in the back space that way. Same thickness as the scissor, but it needs to be two halves to operate the two tools independently. You could fit both the pick and the nail file in that way.

I found scissors....

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,15424.msg299278.html

:tu: Nice. Already had plans to do that in a 91mm.

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 07:15:07 PM
An update on this....
I am currently waiting for my donors to arrive and still got to find a couple combo tools!!   :think:
-
Craggus2000

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%