Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Gerber Mullet 453

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 60,635 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New Gerber Mullet
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:25:00 PM »
I just got a message from Gerber to let me know they are releasing a new one piece tool called the Mullet.

I wonder if this means they are killing off the Shard, as they seem very similar, even if this looks more like a Minh Doh type design.

Def

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,285
Re: New Gerber Mullet
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:06:14 PM »
Might work as a suspension clip with added functions?

Buy now or regret later
Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,802
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:17:04 PM »
I just got a message from Gerber to let me know they are releasing a new one piece tool called the Mullet.

(Image removed from quote.)

I wonder if this means they are killing off the Shard, as they seem very similar, even if this looks more like a Mini D'oh type design.

Def

Fixed >:D ;)

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 60,635 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:20:55 PM »
Might work as a suspension clip with added functions?

Pretty much, yeah.

I posted a bit more info in the News section on the Main Site:
http://multitool.org/news/new-one-piece-multitool-from-gerber

Def

No Life Club Posts: 1,987
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:31:00 PM »
I think it looks neat, and possibly a handy travel tool.

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

No Life Club Posts: 2,897 Honey Badger Don't Care
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 10:06:09 PM »
I like that its not too over the top :tu:  :like:

~CsB
Newbie Posts: 23 Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 02:11:47 AM »
Ordered one today off Amazon for $10. Figured what the heck, it looks pretty useful and work friendly and I have had issues in the past with getting fake Shards so this way I can get a real one before the knockoffs come out.

Work EDC: Vic 8GB Jetsetter/Swisscard/Olight I1R EOS/Zebra F-701

Weekend EDC: Vic Voyageur or Compact or Pioneer X/LM P4/Fenix E01/Swisscard/Atwood R37-Pry/Zebra SL-F1

Neatest items in collection: Full Wenger Titanium Series, Vic Voyaguer, 84mm Golfer, Several Atwoods.

These days I focus on 84mm with Scissors and 74mm with interesting scales.

If anyone has an Atwood R25 and is thinking about selling it, please contact me. I am looking to EDC one and have R37 or others I am willing to trade.
No Life Club Posts: 2,252
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:53:04 AM »
Stupid name, but a cool looking tool.   Seems like quite an improvement over the Shard, which I use occasionally.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,091 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 07:29:12 AM »
I'm not much of a fan of one piece tools, but so far as one piece tools go, that's certainly one of the less ridiculous ones :D

The only real whoopsie on that design, is having that scraper tool in your hand when using the bottle opener or Phillips, but even that can probably be worked around to a large extent

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
No Life Club Posts: 1,155
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 09:25:25 AM »
Even though the hex driver feels fragile (because of the open belt-loop)this  looks like a sexy tool to me.

Hmmm, a second nit-picky look makes me wonder whether the both screw drivers feel like they're rounded-up a bit at the edges? A screw driver's edges need to be perfectly flat for a good hold on to the screw head.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:28:45 AM by ddogu »
OCD Squad Leader Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,471
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »
[...]I wonder if this means they are killing off the Shard, as they seem very similar, even if this looks more like a Minh Doh type design.
Didn't they just release the Shard in blue, or is that only new to me?

Emergency Kit: Ovo Sport, chocolate, cheese, crispbread and a coin
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,249 Born to multitask.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
MT of the year for 2019? :pok:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,324 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest
No Life Club Posts: 1,155
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 01:19:29 PM »
They could have named it differently, maybe. When I google the word "mullet" the third image that comes up is:

Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,823
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »
 :rofl: that would indeed be a mullet  :facepalm:

I like the name given by Gerber  :D.  The tool is not over the top which is good.  I really liked the Shard and sadly is one of the only tools I lost  :(

Esse Quam Videri
Sr. Member Posts: 422
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 05:53:30 PM »
They could have named it differently, maybe. When I google the word "mullet" the third image that comes up is:

(Image removed from quote.)
Kind of looks like the mullet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 50,194
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »
Looks like a neat tool :like: but Mullet ??? :facepalm: :rofl: At least Gerber gets points for creativity :D They are the only company whose one piece tools that I carry so this may be a winner :cheers:
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »
The mullet, also called "hockey hair" is making a bit of a comeback, although in certain areas it never really went away.  That makes the name trendy, and being in Oregon, Gerber is largely a slave to trends.   :facepalm:

And, as far as names go, someone actually referred to the Shard as the Shart in the Facebook group last week.  For those of you that don't know what shart means, I don't recommend Googling it.  Just know that it is not a positive thing and get on with your life. 

But then I don't really care what the name is, if it works, I will use the Drug Dealer 5000.

My only beef with this tool is the same one I have with the Shard, and indeed most one piece tools- I really wish they had a quick release of some sort.  I hate that the split ring gets in the way, and it's often a pain in the butt to remove the split ring.  These issues intensify greatly in the cold, when your hands are wet or if it's on a ring of keys.  Having it on a locking S Biner from Nite Ize would be a much better plan, or design something similar- I know Gerber has an excellent bunch of in house designers, why can't they work up a decent locking carabiner for tools like this?  That would also be a great addon for their awesome new line of sheaths.

Def

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,091 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »
The mullet, also called "hockey hair" is making a bit of a comeback, although in certain areas it never really went away.  That makes the name trendy, and being in Oregon, Gerber is largely a slave to trends.   :facepalm:

And, as far as names go, someone actually referred to the Shard as the Shart in the Facebook group last week.  For those of you that don't know what shart means, I don't recommend Googling it.  Just know that it is not a positive thing and get on with your life. 

But then I don't really care what the name is, if it works, I will use the Drug Dealer 5000.

My only beef with this tool is the same one I have with the Shard, and indeed most one piece tools- I really wish they had a quick release of some sort.  I hate that the split ring gets in the way, and it's often a pain in the butt to remove the split ring.  These issues intensify greatly in the cold, when your hands are wet or if it's on a ring of keys.  Having it on a locking S Biner from Nite Ize would be a much better plan, or design something similar- I know Gerber has an excellent bunch of in house designers, why can't they work up a decent locking carabiner for tools like this?  That would also be a great addon for their awesome new line of sheaths.

Def

Conversely, I'm not a fan of carabiners. They can let go without your permission, and get hold of other things that you didn't tell them to. It's one of the issues I have with the Style PS, which I keep trying to like, but never quite manage it. I neither trust that it will hang on to what it should hang on to, nor leave alone things it shouldn't hang on to, particularly if I choose to affix it to the keyring with a split ring instead. I'd rather have the option to add or remove a quick snag/release mechanism, than have it integral to the tool.

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 05:23:00 PM »
That's why I suggested some sort of locking carabiner- something that isn't as likely to release when it shouldn't.

And, as the split ring isn't built in I hadn't envisioned the carabiner would be either, but instead just fed through the provided hole, just as the split ring is.

Def

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »
That's why I suggested some sort of locking carabiner- something that isn't as likely to release when it shouldn't.

And, as the split ring isn't built in I hadn't envisioned the carabiner would be either, but instead just fed through the provided hole, just as the split ring is.

Def

Ahh, I thought you meant integral like the Fixr, and some of those Leatherman ones. Coming with a seperate carabiner, that you can choose to use or not, would make a lot more sense  :tu:

Hero Member Posts: 866 "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 09:46:49 PM »
I like the Shard myself...It's a great Bottle Opener  and Tape Tearer for Opening Packages and light Prying now for Screws Mehhh but what would anyone reasonable expect when its not uncommon to see them on Sale for 5 Bucks

"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: $305.19
PayPal Fees: $19.34
Net Balance: $285.85
Below Goal: $14.15
Site Currency: USD