Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Diesel?

Gareth · 89 · 10677

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Diesel?
Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 06:32:01 PM
Very true, you have done me a great service and, indeed, saved me £20. Next time I see you I'll buy you a pint  :cheers:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #61 on: November 18, 2013, 06:43:43 PM
 :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: November 28, 2013, 12:24:34 AM
Still waiting for my Diesel  :wait:  :rant:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: November 28, 2013, 09:21:39 AM
Still waiting for my Diesel  :wait:  :rant:
That's not good. :(  Have you had any reason for the wait?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: November 28, 2013, 09:42:12 AM
I contacted the seller yesterday,and eagerly await a reply :rant:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: November 28, 2013, 09:51:17 AM
Given that my wife bought from the same deal I'll have to check to see it mine has turned up.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #66 on: November 28, 2013, 10:56:56 AM
Well, if we bought the same deal, and I am sure we did, I am happy to say mine arrived within a few days.  So the seller seems legit.  Hopefully yours is just held up in the post.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: November 28, 2013, 11:15:36 AM
Well, if we bought the same deal, and I am sure we did, I am happy to say mine arrived within a few days.  So the seller seems legit.  Hopefully yours is just held up in the post.

Cheers Gareth,its a bit like the saga of the BO Paratool :facepalm:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: November 28, 2013, 11:34:50 AM
This is the one my wife bought: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009JS1GM?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I'm pretty sure that's the same deal, right?  I did just notice that, while it is being sold by 4tools, it is still being fulfilled by Amazon.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: November 29, 2013, 12:37:13 AM
This is the one my wife bought: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009JS1GM?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I'm pretty sure that's the same deal, right?  I did just notice that, while it is being sold by 4tools, it is still being fulfilled by Amazon.

Er....I ordered it via DK DOT NET :facepalm: Here we go again :ahhh

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: December 01, 2013, 07:29:33 PM
Well,looks like the Diesel is a right off!

I've messaged the seller twice,with no response. I've filed a claim with Amazon,and got an instant offer of a gift card to the value of the transaction.

At least I'm not out of pocket :rant:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: December 01, 2013, 07:33:20 PM
Bugger.  >:(

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #72 on: December 02, 2013, 02:26:43 PM
On the plus side at least you got your money back and didn't end up with a Gerber!  I think I would call that a good result all round:-)

Ok, ok, I know I am leaving now.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: December 02, 2013, 02:28:19 PM
On the plus side at least you got your money back and didn't end up with a Gerber!  I think I would call that a good result all round:-)

And I have an XE6 on its way :twak:

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #74 on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:50 PM
A much better fit your uber sheepie work place. I look forward to the month long test and its purple, purple!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: December 02, 2013, 04:38:17 PM

:twak: Now get one and test it for a month and then report back. M`kay?  ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: December 02, 2013, 06:17:24 PM

make sure the door doesn't hit you on the way out. :waving:

:D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #77 on: December 02, 2013, 07:02:55 PM
 :facepalm:

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #78 on: December 02, 2013, 07:37:37 PM

make sure the door doesn't hit you on the way out. :waving:

I will be careful, I mean imagine if the door broke and all you gents had to fix it with where Gerber's:O

As for carrying on for a month.  I nearly took you up on this as I do have a month of pantomime coming up (oh yes I do).  However the price has gone up, so no go.  Still my previous experience with Gerber's (except for my eab which I carry all the time while crewing) does tell me it wouldn't make the month:-)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: December 26, 2013, 01:01:22 AM
Mark just gave me a little nudge asking what my thoughts were on my new Diesel.  Keep in mind I've only had it a day and not really put it through it's paces, here's what I told Mark:

I've only really had a bit of a fiddle, but first impressions are....OK.  Good tool selection and the parts are well defined, but they are quite stiff to deploy just now, even after applying a bit of oil.  Should get better with a little use or I might just adjust the tension on the fasteners.

On the whole though I suspect I still prefer the MP600, it just feels a bit more well made overall.  The Diesel is a bit rougher around the edges. :shrug:  Worth spending around £40 on I'd say, but not much more than that.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: July 04, 2019, 08:50:23 AM
I got a diesel in today from the ‘bay, and immediately set to cleaning, lubing, and modifying it. I had a silver diesel with bad cutters and a loose pivot, and I used the handle to practice drilling and tapping holes for a pocket clip, before trying it on my center drive. So... I swapped all the black parts into the drilled silver handles, and added a titanium clip. The silver blade is in there because the black one had a broken tip.

My impressions so far... I like the feel of the tool, and I really like the larger handle splay when the pliers are deployed. I like the longer reach of the scissors and the beefier construction of the big flat driver. I LOVE the saw.

The pliers themselves aren’t the best though. The tips on mine don’t line up perfectly. The 2.5d Phillips seems like a bad idea, but it actually works okay. So no complaints there really. Deploying one handed is more difficult because the handle splay changes as the pliers deploy, so I have to hold only one handle. It’s sligjtly more awkward.

Overall I like the tool well enough, but I do prefer the blunt nosed mp600 or the center drive. I think I may offer this up as trade fodder. It’s a good tool, but my mp600 and center drive are better.

If I could have the handles and handle splay of the diesel with a beefy blunt nosed pliers head and a real 3d driver that’d be a lot closer to perfect.

Charles.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #81 on: July 04, 2019, 10:23:00 AM
Very nice CC  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: July 04, 2019, 03:54:40 PM
It’s up in the trade section of the forum now!

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: July 04, 2019, 03:54:57 PM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: July 04, 2019, 10:15:58 PM
Looks good CC.  :tu:  I have to admit I never use my Diesel these days, not because it's a bad MT but just that I've got others I prefer.  I think I should really do a sort out and put a few things up for sale as well.

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: July 05, 2019, 08:21:08 AM
Yeah. I've been collecting multi-tools for a while trying to find the ones that work best for my use. So far, I really like the Gerber line the best. There are a few other tools I also really love, and then a lot of chaff that is a nice concept, but in practice isn't great or just didn't meet the needs I thought it would.

For instance, I had a brief kick on Kutmaster tools. I bought a Winchester version of the Wrench Head, which had the two part jaws, and I modified it with some other tools. Scissors and whatnot. And I put that in my motorcycle tool kit, because I thought the tool load out was perfect.

I really liked using the tool as a T-handle bit driver. But the first time I actually had to use those pliers as pliers... yeah, they're not heavy duty enough. Not by a long shot. They're awkward and weird to be honest. And the tools are nice and big and beefy, but still... the gerbers are more effective.

Same goes for plierknives. I snagged an Outu, a CRKT Bivy, and a Newpow after watching some Youtube reviews. Of the three, the Outu is the best. It's the one I reach for to actually use when I need a good driver or a small pair of pliers, and it's in my EDC rotation it's so good. Even after moddign the Bivy with a 3D driver and a can opener instead of the ghetto 2D phillips driver and the useless awl thingy, it's still not as useful as the Outu for me.

I amassed a bunch of tools that looked great on paper and in video, and then determined that yeah... some of these ARE great. And some just aren't for me. So it's getting to be time to clear them out.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: July 18, 2019, 05:17:22 AM
We don't hear much about folks and their Diesels, so I thought I'd find out from anyone who has owned one what they think of it. :cheers:

I like how the diesel handles automatically splay out a little as the pliers deploy. I don’t like how there are only needle nosed jaws, and I especially don’t like how easily the jaws get loose and how the tips don’t meet perfectly even on new models.

I like the feel in my hand. I LOVE the saw. I love the large flat driver, it’s much more robust than the mp600 driver, which tends to twist.

Charles.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: July 22, 2019, 06:26:25 AM
I love my BO diesel,  I found hundreds of wide large cable ties in the loft of my house so I use them in my vegetable beds to hold my tomato plants to the canes ( I should use string but I’m lazy) and where my Skeletools wire cutters fail dismally to cut through the cable ties my diesels long cutters makes short work of them effortlessly.

So it lives in a drawer with my secateurs, pruning knives and Laplander saw among other things.

So if I am off to do any gardening its what gets put in my pocket. If it had had a 3D Phillips driver it would have been a great tool.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: July 22, 2019, 01:56:08 PM
I actually use the lanyard ring. I dislike 2D drivers but the diesel driver is probably one of the best I’ve used.

It’s really unfortunate that mp600 and diesel parts aren’t swappable.

Charles.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:04:05 PM by ChopperCharles »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24