Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It's here, the Modern Swiss Army Knife you have all been waiting for!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
A hundred dollars for something that doesn't have the capability of even a humble Victorinox recruit, for 17.95 at any Academy Sports store!

As for the lock...

For a hundred and fifty years the stockman, Barlow, trapper, and pen knives of all types never had a lock on the blade/blades. Yet many generations off cowboys, trappers, sailors, freight wagon drivers and homesteader farmers had all their fingers still attached. The lock issue is of not importance if you just use the knife with the brain in gear.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
And this my friends is exactly the reason why Wenger should never have sold out to Victorinox
Having cloned the brand and sacked most of the workers, victorinox now holds the patents preventing other competition.
What we are left with is a stagnant Swiss brand and other companies fearful of infringing copyrights.

Exciting isn't it?  Yawn ZZzzzz
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
And this my friends is exactly the reason why Wenger should never have sold out to Victorinox
Having cloned the brand and sacked most of the workers, victorinox now holds the patents preventing other competition.
What we are left with is a stagnant Swiss brand and other companies fearful of infringing copyrights.

I feel the loss of Wenger more and more.  I haven't been a SAK enthusiast long enough to have actively seen Wengers presence but as you say the stagnation is becoming more and more evident. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline getahl

At that price, far too expensive to try on a whim. But, I like the look of the blade (I am a sucker for spear point blades and straight lines). I find their teeny offering, the Elko, attractive, but it's basically a 1.5 inch knife for 50dollars. I have to keep reminding myself my 12 dollar Classic does more, and I like the way they look too.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Looks like a ridiculously overpriced British Army Knife; and the issue variant of that even locks; at most $30 shipped to the USA from the UK. My Bantam does more, and costs less. Same with my Camillus Cub Scout, and it's bottle/opener screwdriver and awl both lock with linerlocks.

If anyone's looking at buying this knife; do yourself a favor and buy an Alox Bantam. Roughly 1/3 the cost; but much better and nicer.

On another note, we need competition to the SAK that's actually good. I have a Swiza D04; and found the thing questionable. Especially with its horrible Phillips SD.  Colonial is no longer around; they were the only American competition with their "Swiss Master" line. Many of the German firms that made them for advertising use in the 1970s-1990s around are no longer extant. I think the only European maker of SAK clones is Mikov of the Czech Republic.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:52:34 AM by cody6268 »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
If there were only one iconic pocket knife, it’d likely be the Swiss Army Knife.

So far so good.

The James Brand wants to replace it. Today, the company released the Ellis, its first multi-tool.

What a statement, as bold as it is ridiculous. :rofl:

just a partially-serrated blade, a screwdriver that doubles as a bottle opener and a scraper tool. It’s simple, and that’s the point.

How is that going to replace my Deluxe Tinker? You're missing a dozen features, guys. :think:

That’s also because Ryan Coulter, the company’s founder, and the rest of the team wanted it to be uncluttered, like a Swiss Army, and drew inspiration from the historic brand.

Not arguing on the merits of minimalism, but on the other hand, you are offering a blade and a bottle opener. Where is the innovation? Scissors? Reamer? T-shank holders? Bit holders?

Why is the Ellis being compared to a Swiss Army Knife again? Can it not stand on its own merits? Is that the best you could come up with? "It's like a SAK, but better"?

If people want to buy a SAK, it's because it is a SAK.
If they're buying it because it is slipjoint, they won't buy the Ellis instead. They want it not to lock.
If they're buying it because it has scissors/saw/whatever, they won't buy the Ellis. It is missing everything.
If they're buying it because it is inexpensive, they won't buy the Ellis. It's 100$ for a combo blade and bottle-opener.

“I always think that Swiss Army has done the best job of making good everyday carry knives and tools that are not positioned in either the tactical or the outdoor space.”

Right. Because no armed forces or outdoorsmen use SAKs. :pok:

But one of the problems with Swiss Army Knives is that they don’t lock. “There’s always this potential to close the blade on your fingers,” Coulter says. 

Lots of places ban locking blades, so slipjoints not locking is not a problem.
Entire generations relied on slipjoints. And many people still do.
I have plenty of SAKs with blades that lock.

the team found that adding that simple mechanism complicated things. The release of the Ellis is actually a re-release; the tool first came out a few months back and was quickly recalled. If you pressed on the closed screwdriver/bottle opener while the knife was open, the lock could disengage.

If any brand replaces the SAK, it's this, no doubt.  ::)

The James Brand reached out to friends and more importantly, consumers, to figure out which to feature in the Ellis. What are the items that people need all the time? “A bottle opener and a screwdriver,” says Coulter. “Those are the things that, besides the knife blade, get used like 90 percent of the time.”

Really? Did scissors not reach the top of that list? Phillips #2 driver? Or a nice reamer? :P
First place was won by a partially serrated blade? Who are these people?

It boggles the mind. One of the most despised blade features is the combo edge. And one of the most least used implements is the bottle-opener. I have absolutely no use for the Ellis, and I bet I am not alone on this. I have an OPT bottle-opener on my keys, and I do not like combo edges.
But the two things in the Ellis are a combo blade and a bottle-opener, because they're the most used tools? Who are these people?  :rant:

Specialized implements — things like awls or magnifying glasses — come at the price of increasing the size of the tool.

Well, the awl of a SAK takes literally no room. Regardless, that is a weird marketing statement. Of course more stuff takes more room. That's how this universe works. My Deluxe Tinker is wider and heavier than a Tinker, because it has more implements; implements that I want.

“We were focused on what can you take out of this, what’s the most minimal thing you can do and still make a multi-tool?”

"...because to add more implements requires effort and who can be bothered? Not us."

The result is a modern interpretation of a classic; a tool that balances the iconic familiarity of the Swiss Army Knife with the James Brand’s unique perspective on everyday carry.

The result is an overpriced, minimal effort, silly attempt to piggyback on the success of SAKs; a tool that copies the minimalist approach of the most modest SAK, with the James Brand's lack of imagination and innovation, inflated mark up, and bogus marketing campaign.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:45:11 AM by ReamerPunch »

it Offline SirVicaLot

I enjoyed your picking, good read  :D :like:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club

If anyone's looking at buying this knife; do yourself a favor and buy an Alox Bantam. Roughly 1/3 the cost; but much better and nicer.

I would dearly Love to have an alox bantam, but I thought they were no longer in production?  :dunno:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Gear Patrol is extremely biased towards the James brand. It seems like they have an "advertorial" on them nearly weekly. One of their previous articles compared the Elko to a SAK Classic, and declared the Elko the winner. A better matching comparison would have been an alox Cadet. But then the Elko would have lost the duel.. So the picked a smaller Classic.
https://gearpatrol.com/2019/01/24/james-brand-elko-knife-review/
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I enjoyed your picking, good read  :D :like:

:iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
I wonder how gearpatrol manage to fund their staff and office with minimal advertising and only a few amazon affiliate links :think:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

za Offline Max Stone

I would dearly Love to have an alox bantam, but I thought they were no longer in production?  :dunno:

Still on the Vic website...been eyeing the Bantam Alox also  :tu:
V0.2300.26.jpg
* V0.2300.26.jpg (Filesize: 24.1 KB)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Might get an Ellis when they are marked down to $19.95 or so.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
I like locking blades, especially the ones on 130mm SAKs

These James fanboys seem rather ill-informed about SAKs with locking blades
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:43:46 PM by AndyTiedye »
R

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
AAAHHHHH.............yeah ............oh heckydern NO . :twak:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Don't worry Butch there'll be a chinese clone out before too long  :pok:  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Don't worry Butch there'll be a chinese clone out before too long  :pok:  :D

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :imws:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:44:39 PM by Butch »
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
The marketing is cringeworthy ridiculous! However, if you like its design, the Ellis looks well made and fit for purpose (limited as it is). I do think it's very expensive for what it is and that you get hugely better value with Victorinox alox.

As an approximate tool load equivalent, the alox Bantam's a much better deal, although I'd prefer a Cadet or Pioneer. Again, about a third of the price (or less!) of the Ellis for more than triple the utility. Even the Pioneer is readily pocketable.

As for locking tools, the 93mm spring tension is such that only very careless use could make the blade and tools fold on your fingers. The 84mm alox also has quite decent spring tension for its size.

If you feel you really need a small knife with a blade and flat SD that lock, look for a suitable 85mm Wenger or Vic Delémont.

Can the James Brand match Vic's legendary warranty and general reputation - now and in 20 years' time?

That said, it's good to have more choices and I wish the guy well in his endeavour.
Rambler

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Gear Patrol is extremely biased towards the James brand. It seems like they have an "advertorial" on them nearly weekly. One of their previous articles compared the Elko to a SAK Classic, and declared the Elko the winner. A better matching comparison would have been an alox Cadet. But then the Elko would have lost the duel.. So the picked a smaller Classic.

Crazy how the reviewer repeatedly refers to the Classic as "the SAK", as if it's the only one!

More than a third of the surveyed Gear Patrol staff members reported being cut or otherwise injured by a knife folding while in use.
:oops: :facepalm: ::)
Rambler

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club

That article is the biggest most worthless drivel I've bothered to read in a very long time. It was soooo biased a hack job that it was almost laughable. And they're so called 'scores' were indeed laughable. Yet they didn't rate the classic's scissors> Oh wait, the challenger didn't even have scissors, yet they scored it way higher!

I don't even wish them well in their misguided attempt to dethrone Victorinox as King.

de Offline Dr. Bahn

Owning more than a 100 SAKs I am a Victorinox/Wenger fanboy fore sure! However I got the new Micarta Elko a few days ago and also own a terracotta/alloy and titanium Elko. Personally I love their design, size and the additional functions the keyring offers. However I agree that prices are a bit high.
I have read the article a few weeks ago and immediatelly thought that the comparison is unobjective and unfair. While both knives are about the same size they are still very different; The Classic offers a small, sharp but not very thick pen blade, a nail file with very useful small screwdriver tip, great little scissors and a toothpick/tweezers. Compared to that the blade of the Elko is on steroids and offers a better blade steel. The handles are much tougher, too. The bottle opener does work if you know how to use it and the screwdriver is too short/too big for most of my daily screwing needs. Having said that I am carrying a 58mm SAK and an Elko on my keyrings on a daily basis and both are winners in different disciplines in my eyes.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
This review is so sad

More than a third of the surveyed Gear Patrol staff members reported being cut or otherwise injured by a knife folding while in use.
These people should not have knives and certainly not review them.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline gregpost

Why is it that better mouse traps come with much higher prices?  :facepalm:

They don't have the economies of scale . If a SAK replacement ever takes hold it will probably be Chinese designed and made.The Chinese could make tens of millions of an item for lower labor costs and Chinese quality and design(still lots of copying) is improving tremendously as seen in the folding knife segment.

za Offline Max Stone

The Chinese are trying but I don’t see them competing in the Tier 1 MT/SAK space. I almost bought a Ruike last week. Chinese made, good design and well-finished. But sample on display already had a broken back spring, so clearly an issue with fatigue, choice of steel or design. I don’t think I’d be comfortable relying on a brand that does not have a well-established track record. Support will also be a challenge for Chinese brands.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

fi Offline Gath

They don't have the economies of scale . If a SAK replacement ever takes hold it will probably be Chinese designed and made.The Chinese could make tens of millions of an item for lower labor costs and Chinese quality and design(still lots of copying) is improving tremendously as seen in the folding knife segment.

Unfortunately for Chinese do far they have relatively little experience yet in making excellent quality products effectively. My dad's workplace for example buys machined products from China, and they can do high quality but the prices of those were as high or higher than European competitors for the same quality, with the usual additional drawbacks of manufacturing across the world.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Unfortunately for Chinese do far they have relatively little experience yet in making excellent quality products effectively. My dad's workplace for example buys machined products from China, and they can do high quality but the prices of those were as high or higher than European competitors for the same quality, with the usual additional drawbacks of manufacturing across the world.
to have high quality product in large numbers you need automation... and that is when salaries become less relevant especially since you need well trained people and they are not cheap anywhere and they get really expensive if you have to hire them abroad.
Furthermore, to sell a product you need to find customers, that means advertisement and that costs depending on where you are trying to sell, not where you produce.

In order to overthrow Victorinox they would have to:
-  produce a product that is better than a SAK
- at a cheaper (or at least comparable price)
- they would have to fight the uphill advertisement battle to overcome the stigma of "Chinese == Bad" and outshine the iconic Swiss Army Knife.

And that for a relatively small market, I mean Victorinox's turnover for SAKs alone is what 150 - 200 million? The US presidential candidates spent a total of $10 billions on advertisement for their campaigns.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline gregpost

They would only really need to first capture the Chinese market and then have it be cheap enough that Americans and Europeans were curious and then once curious continue to improve the product. This is exactly how the Swiss took over the watchmaking industry. They made a cheaper product for their home market than France and England did, then they started focusing on precision, then that lead to technical innovation and becoming the standard for precision time keeping until the Japanese came along.

Besides watches, this is essentially what the Japanese also did with appliances and electronics. American appliances were too big and expensive for the Japanese market so they started making their own, capturing the domestic market and then spinning that success to exports until they became the worldwide standard for quality, reliability and affordability.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club

Hey Tosh - You, like me, and many of us here, loved the Wenger brand - But they never sold out to Victorinox
At least that/this is my understanding
They were about to go under, there was even rumours of Chinese takeovers, so Vic bought them to save them, and keep the brand Swiss
And to be fair to Vic they allowed Wenger to run completely independently for nearly 10 years!

I doubt  that there are any copyrights/patents left around on SAK models or tools these days
Although, of course, the name 'Swiss Army Knife' is protected - Not that anyone in China or ebay respects this !

I do agree though that the Vic brand is a little stagnant - Many here have said this about Leatherman too
The question in my mind though is always -
When you have a range of products that is full, varied, successful and pretty damm good - in many, many respects - What's to change?  ???
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:11:08 AM by Huntsman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD