Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No Name rechargeable USB arc lighter

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
No Name rechargeable USB arc lighter
on: January 08, 2019, 11:03:22 PM
I mentioned in the emergency fire making thread that I had gotten one of these arcing lighters in the mail finally.  It was an eBay purchase a while ago, so long ago that I barely recall even buying it, but it is here finally and I thought I would share a bit.

First off, it is not my first USB charging lighter- I have (somewhere) an Ignite Electra that uses a small coil similar to the ones found on an electric stove (but much smaller) to generate enough heat to ignite whatever you want lit.  The coil and the hole/cover that protect the coil when not in use is sized for a cigarette and isn't much good for anything besides a cigarette.  You can however also use it for things like paracord end melting, but that gums up the coil something awful after a while.  It also takes a few seconds to ignite a bit of paper, and is awkward to get tinder into to ignite that without making a mess.

This one is supposed to be waterproof, but I have a lot of doubts about that.... but it does do the rest as advertised.  Flip open the cap and you see four small electrodes, a button on the side and a Micro USB port, pretty well the second most common cable type out there right now, after the Apple connector.

Press the button (make sure your fingers are clear first!) and a small blue LED lights up, in case for some reason you can't see or hear the two small bolts of lightning sizzling away.  And boy does it sizzle!  After leaving it ignited for a few moments you will even start to smell ozone generated by the very intense (albeit teeny) electrical arcs.  I wasn't silly enough to stick my finger in, but I have to say that when I stuck some paper in, it ignited almost instantly.  Apparently lighting is hot as smurf.... who'd have known?   :ahhh

My camera had a hard time focusing in the dark, but as you can see, this thing is not likely to be left accidentally on somewhere.  If it is on, it is obvious.  The momentary switch really isn't going to stay on anyway, so probably not too much to worry about.

I don't know how long the battery lasts yet, or how long it will take to charge it, but I will update this thread as I play with i more.  So far I am pretty impressed, especially since I think it only cost about $10.  Put together with a unit like my Biolite stove and I feel like you could go on almost indefinitely, using the lighter to light the stove, then using the stove to recharge the lighter.

It's so cool I am actually thinking of taking up smoking!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: No Name rechargeable USB arc lighter
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 11:22:40 PM
I have to say I've not seen this style of lighter before, but then I did give up smoking a few years ago.  Looks pretty cool though and I can see the advantage of completely clean "refilling".
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:52:58 PM
I'm curious about long term reliability
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 12:50:33 AM

Me too, although to be honest I think that is more a question for a higher end unit.  When you buy cheap like this, you should probably expect cheap.

I think I'll be happy if, when it fails, it does not take my hand with it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 01:22:57 AM

Me too, although to be honest I think that is more a question for a higher end unit.  When you buy cheap like this, you should probably expect cheap.

I think I'll be happy if, when it fails, it does not take my hand with it.

Def

True that. Maybe the ignition quality doesn't even warrant a nicer metal version.  I wonder of someone produces a Zippo insert version. I'd pick that up to try.
@blackdiamonds_42

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 01:25:12 AM
Just did a search. Some Zippo alike versions, but no inserts for Zippo.
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 04:33:06 AM
Years ago I had something similar but it burned out after a while ::) I say burned out but it more or less shorted out I guess :think: I hope this one lasts you for a good long while Grant :tu: :like:

us Offline Darrell85

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 04:50:19 AM
Thanks for the post. I've seen these around for quite a while and was always curious, but just never tried one.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 07:37:59 AM
Careful you don't take that thing to 88mph, you could end up anywhere

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 10:08:54 AM
Years ago I had something similar but it burned out after a while ::) I say burned out but it more or less shorted out I guess :think: I hope this one lasts you for a good long while Grant :tu: :like:
This thing works via a high voltage short...  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 11:39:36 AM
This... This is not a lighter, this is a POCKET FLUX CAPACITOR!  :woohoo:  :ahhh :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 12:29:38 PM

This... This is not a lighter, this is a POCKET FLUX CAPACITOR!  :woohoo:  :ahhh :ahhh

:rofl:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 01:35:02 PM

I don't know how long the battery lasts yet, or how long it will take to charge it, but I will update this thread as I play with i more.  So far I am pretty impressed, especially since I think it only cost about $10.  Put together with a unit like my Biolite stove and I feel like you could go on almost indefinitely, using the lighter to light the stove, then using the stove to recharge the lighter.

It's so cool I am actually thinking of taking up smoking!  :P

Def

Wow, you just defined free unlimited energy!
Which reminds me of the infamous cat-butterbread engine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8yW5cyXXRc

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 02:57:34 PM

Esse Quam Videri

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 04:15:28 PM
While I like the SciFi appearance of this kind of lighter I prefer more traditional solutions for one simple fact: Methane has  energy density of 22MJ/L compared to 4.32MJ/L for Li-Po. So my bic can be at least 4 times smaller than a comparable electronic lighter.  :D

Ps: Also bic might be a tad more reliable?  :D

PPs: A tad is the same as a bit right?  :facepalm: :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:27:16 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 09:10:55 PM
Yes and no.

What do you do when the fuel runs out?

I like the idea of  being able to recharge my fire making device with a power bank, battery pack, solar panel or Biolite type stove.

Yes, I understand that it makes me as reliant on other gadgets as the Bic is on having fuel, and that without gadgets or fuel we are both just as screwed.  :D

Def

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 09:53:46 PM
While I like the SciFi appearance of this kind of lighter I prefer more traditional solutions for one simple fact: Methane has  energy density of 22MJ/L compared to 4.32MJ/L for Li-Po. So my bic can be at least 4 times smaller than a comparable electronic lighter.  :D

Methane? I thought a Bic used butane; 27.7 MJ/l. That said, energy density is a pretty hard measure for doing an apples to apples comparison. It's probably a lot easier to make use of a higher percentage of the energy in the electric lighter, as when burning a flame most of the energy will be wasted. A bit like having a torch without a reflector.  :think:

As Def said, neither electric outlets nor gas refill points in the forest anyway.  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 03:04:19 PM
I thought about planting a USB tree once, but as it would probably take 25 years to reach maturity there probably won't be USB devices by then and I went back to developing a cheeseburger brush instead.

Def

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 02:09:36 AM
I hope one day to see the spaghetti harvest.  I hear it is a magical time of year!

As an update, so far I have yet to break this lighter, although I see that the arcs look even cooler if you blow on them.  Even more surprising is that I have not yet burnt the house down as I occasionally use it to see how fast I can light combustible items like bills and those cardboard trays that drinks come in at fast food places.  They ignite faster than you think they will, which lends evidence to the theory that lightning is really smurfing hot.  And I'm not smart.   :facepalm:

Either way, I am still really liking this doodad, despite having not done any actual, real world testing with it.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 01:51:20 PM
Just a quick update- I have used this for a few things (and more often just to play with) and it works extremely well.  The arc is apparently VERY hot as things seem to explode into flames when stuck in there, which is pretty well exactly what you want from a lighter.

Things instantly bursting into flame also makes this an efficient lighter, although I did notice that it was only staying lit for a couple of seconds before stopping, so I assumed that meant the battery was dying.  I recharged it and it has started holding the arc as long as the button is held again, so it's nice to know that even when the battery is getting low it is still capable of igniting.  A few seconds is more than enough to light a match stick (the wood end, not the match end), some paper or any tinder you may have.

It is noteworthy that the original charge that I was using was from the factory.  I had not charged it when I got it, and it lasted weeks, despite me playing with it and lighting all manner of things on fire while simultaneously trying not to burn my house down.   :facepalm:

I have to say that this thing has been impressing me- it was dirt cheap and remarkably effective, and I have yet to burn out the electrodes, despite constant playing.  This seems like an ideal doodad to keep in a PSK, emergency kit or glove compartment for when you need to set something on fire.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%