Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cull Update

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Cull Update
Reply #120 on: April 03, 2019, 03:08:21 PM
This is the joy of owning enough tools to rotate thru.  Its also the reality that some tools just wont acquire the patina as your bothers did.  I'm totally fine with that.  My Manager is my longest carried tool.  It and the sheath it rides in are both showing years of use and carry time. 

There was a time when I kept my things meticulous.  A time when I only owned one item at a time, no back ups.  I used my things with what my mom would call a "soft touch".  I cleaned them up and put them away after use.  I didn't feel I was overly fussy then nor do I today.  So when it comes to patina from use over extended periods of time, I say wonderful.  If the tool looks modest in its wear, I also say wonderful. 

I was the same way about shoes.  Kinda still am to a degree.  I have a pair of boots I've had for 20 + years that are in remarkable condition.  These are going out shoes vs work shoes.  Work shoes have come and gone in uncountable numbers.  Kinda my take on tools as well now that I think about it.         

I visited a home of a lady who had lived there since the 60's.  She upgraded her appliances in the 80s.  Most everything else including her furniture were from the 60s and 70s.  Everything was in such amazing condition that I initially thought they were reproductions.  She said when she bought items she bought the best she could afford at the time and took extra care to ensure it could last a lifetime even with regular use.  Now upon closer inspection you could see the wear on her furniture.  Some wear marks on smaller appliances.  Even her car was in wonderful looking condition, she had a 70s Cadillac.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #121 on: April 03, 2019, 04:04:29 PM
I was the same way about shoes.  Kinda still am to a degree.  I have a pair of boots I've had for 20 + years that are in remarkable condition.  These are going out shoes vs work shoes.  Work shoes have come and gone in uncountable numbers.  Kinda my take on tools as well now that I think about it.         

Excellent analogy!  :tu: except for the fact I don't have 50+ pairs of shoes, like I do pocket knives  :rofl:

:P

You're quite right of course. My dedicated tools are the same. Some are in excellent condition, and others are beaten up and have been replaced several times, depending how often I've needed to use them, and in what environment.
IMG_20190403_145821_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190403_145821_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 89.62 KB)
IMG_20190403_144906_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190403_144906_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 75.68 KB)
IMG_20190403_144942_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190403_144942_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 55.1 KB)
IMG_20190403_145119_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190403_145119_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 89.87 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #122 on: April 03, 2019, 05:33:40 PM
I don't have anywhere near that many shoes either which is also why I kept those boots in such great shape.  I also like to buy shoes that I can replace the soles which extends the life of a good quality shoe.   

I really like that lower hammer.  Love how I can see where you held it.  You're making quite the progress with this cull.  I like the thought process with each of your posts.  I may not have said it but I enjoy these threads.  I enjoy all the thought individuals go thru when deciding what to carry/own/keep/buy.  Its one thing to decide on what tool makes sense but a whole other dimension when deciding carry/role/compliment to other tools/etc.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #123 on: April 07, 2019, 11:01:26 PM
As mentioned in another thread, I've been trying out yet another combo today...  ::)

(Image removed from quote.)

I finally got round to fixing the smurfed up Micra that Leatherman shipped out unfinished. The scissor rivet was made too short I think, which meant it didn't peen up properly. As received, with no use or carry time, I could get 0.25mm (0.010") feeler gauges inbetween the blades at the pivot...

... and what seemed like about 0.5mm (0.020") side to side play...

... as new, from the factory, on their 30th anniversary ST300 set. :dwts:

I managed to peen it up to a clearance of 0.04-0.05mm (just under 0.002") using pin punches, so it didn't completely mangle the top face of the rivet, or leave unsightly pop marks. The Micra is a tool, defect aside, which I've always struggled to incorporate into any of my combos with any real satisfaction. Same applies with the Style PS, which is why I decided to try them together.

The problem with that combo, is the only thing that the Style introduces, that the Micra doesn't have is the pliers. It's already got bottle opener, tweezers, scissors (which is good, because the spring on the Style PS scissors has snapped again), nail file, and a very similarly profiled screwdriver. As such, I might need to either replace the Style with something else, or mod it with something the Micra doesn't have.

Work in progress...

The little toothpick knife was dull, my fault, I should have checked first. In trying to hand sharpen it, there was a somewhat disconcerting flex to the blde, which rematerialised while trying to sharpen a pencil with it. Not a fault of the knife, but the overzealous operator. It did however make me wonder if this combo might require a little extra oomph, so I'll be adding some extras to the pockets tomorrow... (pic attached)

If I do piece together a working combo from this lot, I think it will benefit greatly from a pocket pouch.  :whistle:

This combo evolved.

I carried it a couple of times, to try to find the weak spots and correct them. Pairing the Style PS with the Micra wasn't a strong combo. The only thing the style added was pliers, and the rest of the tool was redundant. Removing the Style PS, and replacing it with a Dime made more sense. The Dime at least added package opener, and a more sturdy flat blade driver. I also swapped the pen for the smaller Inka, and added the mini Clipper, Shard, and True Utility Twistick. (pic 1)

The only thing left to do, is create a way to carry it. I did originally think about a mini tool roll, but thought that might be too bulky, and a bifold wallet with four tool slots per side, might be a very pocketable solution. Chris (hiraethus) gave me some industrial material (slideway cover offcut, I believe) at last year's meet, and I've been looking for a good project for it ever since. This seemed like the ideal project.

I did start it, but that stuff is a real swine to work with. I underestimated how inflexible it is, plus I gnarled up the stitching on the very first row.  (pic 2)
:facepalm:

I need to rethink this a little, to factor in the rigidity. I'm now thinking that an inner pocket beneath the tools, would give me somewhere to put a fresnel lens, and maybe a bit of notepaper, plus, give me something to stitch elastic retention loops to, without the stitching showing on the outside when closed. However, I still want some way of covering the ends of the tools, so they're neither visible, nor be able to escape, when the wallet is closed, so you do have to open the wallet right up to access what's inside. I've not figured out exactly how to make that work, and not make it difficult to get things back in the elastic loops.

Hopefully, I can get not much wider or longer than my small bifold wallet (pic3). It will be much thicker, but should still be reasonable to carry in a jacket pocket, or drop into the pocket of an overnight bag.
IMG_20190407_212446_edit_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190407_212446_edit_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 65.99 KB)
IMG_20190407_214056_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190407_214056_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 105.5 KB)
IMG_20190407_215557_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190407_215557_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 83.71 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: April 07, 2019, 11:42:57 PM
I don't have anywhere near that many shoes either which is also why I kept those boots in such great shape.  I also like to buy shoes that I can replace the soles which extends the life of a good quality shoe.   

I really like that lower hammer.  Love how I can see where you held it.  You're making quite the progress with this cull.  I like the thought process with each of your posts.  I may not have said it but I enjoy these threads.  I enjoy all the thought individuals go thru when deciding what to carry/own/keep/buy.  Its one thing to decide on what tool makes sense but a whole other dimension when deciding carry/role/compliment to other tools/etc.

Absolutely, combos are key to me.

I've mentioned before that the current knife laws over here, let you carry whatever you NEED, even if they don't let you carry everything you want. I've been in a public place, even stood outside a courthouse in a town centre,with a 4" sheath knife on my belt, and was perfectly entitled to. If you do happen to be questioned, all you need to do is satisfy the four THATs.

Does THAT person, have lawful reason, or permission where applicable, to carry THAT tool, in THAT place, and at THAT time? This is where the 3" non-locking folder "rule" comes in, because it expressly gives you legal clearance to carry that anywhere that knives aren't expressly prohibited, instantly satisfying the four THATs. I legally stood outside a courthouse with a 4" fixed blade on my belt, because I was penning boats through the lock directly outside the main entrance. THAT person, tool, place and time, all ticked off nicely as essential safety equipment for rope work in a marine activity with rising/falling water levels and strong currents.

However, I take that same mentality when building a combo. Where will it be used and when? Who will be around me? If I need tools which might give folks the wrong impression for part of that event, will I need a people friendly option for the rest of the duration? This is why I carry a Swiss knife with Phillips if I carry the Spirit. If that "invisible" people friendly knife can't do the job, then I'm validated in getting the Spirit out. I may still be asked why I was carrying it in the first place, but if I am carrying it, I'll have that answer ready  ;)

So when putting a combo together, I choose what I think is the minimum I need to do the toughest foreseen task, plus what I can carry with it that will suffice when I have lesser tasks. If I'll be preparing food at somepoint, I might have a fixed blade, but will have an "invisible" folder (Swiss knife or trad) for when I don't need it. Also, what is the most convenient and appropriate way of carrying all the capabilities. I don't need saw on both knife and pliers, so do I carry a Wave or MP600 with a slim Swiss knife, or carry a Sideclip with a Ranger or CT41. The pre-established combos I have, have all had those questions answered and thoroughly tested. With the pick'n'mix combos, it's a process I have to think through (and enjoy doing it).

I enjoy the process of balancing one tool's strengths and weakness against another, so all the "what if"s are catered for in the most streamlined, situation appropriate and ergonomic way. Colour coordination is a bonus :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #125 on: April 08, 2019, 01:05:52 AM
The Style PS which fit so badly in the previous combo, works brilliantly in this one. The knife's combo tool handles more stubborn screws than the Style's nail file tip can, and the Slim Clips make up for the defective scissors (I will replace those with something functional eventually). The essentials are all there, with only the bottle opener being duplicated - but that happens with most combos anyway.

I have way too many mini combos now though  :facepalm: but mini combos are useful gifts, so no major crisis there.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #126 on: April 08, 2019, 01:44:15 AM
While there is increasing clarity of what works, and what doesn't, there are still a few loose ends. What I tend to refer to as "odd socks". Items that just don't seem to pair well with anything.

One example of this, is the SanRenMu H02.

Not exactly tactical looking, but still a little pokey. A one hand opening "gentleman's" folder, that I would typically ignore, and reach for a traditional folder instead. All three cost me less than a tenner combined, so they're not worth selling - the postage would cost more than they're worth. If I need one hand opening, I'd usually want a pocket clip too, but I could attach a lanyard or dangler clip.

They've hung around here mainly as sacrificial knives. If I was to go somewhere where I don't know if a knife would prevent me gaining access or not, I would rather have one of these confiscated than anything else I own. Obviously, if I know I'm going to a knife free zone, I'll empty the pockets before I leave, but you don't always know in advance what a venue will greet you with. There was a thread very recently where someone (in the US I believe) had to hand over something sharp to go in to watch a show at a theatre or something, and hadn't gone by car, so couldn't leave it somewhere close and collect it later. Bye bye pocket knife.  :-\

It's nice to have something kicking around for times like that, when you can't be 100% certain that your possessions will make it back home with you. It's like the pocket tool equivalent of a "muggers wallet" :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #127 on: April 12, 2019, 01:05:07 AM
I've been doing another bizarre little exercise over the last few days, working out how many combos I would use a given tool in. Not how many I could, that would be obscenely high numbers, but what I would realistically pair up on the grounds of compatibility of toolset and aesthetics. This really opened my eyes as to how much stuff I still have.

For example, I would pair my rather dressy scrolled bolsters Case Barlow, with different tools to my rather pocket worn herringbone Case Barlow. I also wouldn't pair a BO modded knifeless Diesel with a faux pearl old two blade penknife. If I'm carrying the Diesel, I'll probably need more knife than that.

,A good example of compatibility, would be my knifeless Wave mod with either a Byrd Tern, UKPK, Terzuola Slipit, or Byrd Wings Slipit. I would be quite likely to carry a Swiss knife with them too for when around non-knife people, specifically a Soft Touch 14 or Swissbuck Sidekick. Four OHO slippies and two Swissies gives eight potential combos that I'd use with the Wave mod. In comparison, there was over 100 viable combos with the knifeless MP400  :ahhh That's any one of 9 traditional slippies (out of 20+) or 6 Swiss knives (out of 18), with or without any one of six modern OHO slippies as a quick grab knife when not around "the public".

I could easily carry a different combo every day for a year, and not come close to exhausting all my potential combos.  :ahhh :ahhh Holy smurf! And there I was thinking of sticking to the pick'n'mix combos for a week at a time, to spend more time with them, and also considering bringing the Diesel into the current carry options, as it's not getting much use.

:facepalm:

It would take me two years just to carry the viable combos for the MP400...

So today's lesson was "Don't count the combos, Al"  :twak:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #128 on: April 12, 2019, 02:26:08 AM
On the upside, I've got my Lumapower D-mini VX back up and running on 18650s. It's not a retina burning powerhouse at only 250/300lm at full tilt, but has excellent run times, particularly at the mid level. I'm not sure what the mid level is, but the high runs for 3 hours, and low is 13lm for 91hrs :rofl:

I was wrong!

The info above, was what I gleaned from the net, because I couldn't remember the specs, but this isn't the D-mini VX, it's the D-mini VX Ultra, an overclocked version, that kicks out 550 lumens. I knew it wasn't considered wise to run this on high for long with one of the cells, but it turns out that's with RCR123s, and it performs better on the 18650s.

I don't have much call for a pocketable floodlight these days, but it used to be the light I reached for if I got called out at silly o'clock in the morning because the alarms were going off at work. Very good for illuminating a 20,000sq ft workshop. Much more use to me on the lower settings these days though.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #129 on: April 12, 2019, 03:53:47 PM
Been a busy with work now that our rain has gone.  Sure was a nice winter rainy season for us in SoCal.  Anywho, I like the thinking behind your combos.  I like having several combos to choose from and in the past I tended to have a few of exactly the same set up which now makes no sense  :think:.  Having a strong set of smaller tools or combos which may include a larger tool for different outings makes a lot more sense.  I got lulled into thinking if my Manager and Squirt were a strong combo then I wanted 3 of said combos. 

It didn't take long to figure to that while one combo was strong in a scenario I may like another strong combo for something else.  I also try to decide as you how I would carry the items.   I am still working out what makes the most sense for me.  What I've done is not carry everything as a unit.  I've paired certain items into a pocket sheath while other items get place into certain pockets. 

An example is my pocket sheath for my Salesman and Squirt.  Both fit nicely together separated by a stitch.  I usually place this into my rear right pocket.   I'll then carry my pen in my shirt pocket.  I tried to figure out a way to carry it in the sheath but sitting on the pen was not comfortable.  Light, I also tried to find a way to carry the light in the sheath but I like to have quicker access so into my coin pocket it goes. 

Playing with how to carry my items is actually kinda fun for me  :dunno:.  I just redid how I carry my work MT and SAK.  I like to run with a new carry for a week unless it just doesn't work out immediately. 

I tried to carry some items in an Altoid tin but its just not for me.  Parceling out items into pockets, sheath, keychain, etc is my method for carrying a few strong combos.       
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #130 on: April 12, 2019, 05:48:13 PM
In "like for like" duplicates, I only have a select few. Byrd Tern, Spirit X(with an RT in reserve), Gerber Dime, Nitecore Tube, and Leatherman Sideclip. I do however have several tools which can take the place of others, even though they may not be identical. For example the Diesel mod and MP600 mod would be interchangeable, as would many of the slippies and indeed fixed blades. I also have several variations of the Wenger Traveler.

How to carry them tends to be further down the priorities for me, than what, where, and why. Formal wear drops in a jacket or waistcoat pocket. When travelling, I can drop stuff in a bag. I don't have to make decisions on work carry any more. If it's just a knife, pliers and light, they can be pocketed, or one moved to the belt (these days I can, anyway. It wasn't an option for me before). If there's lots of components, such as the Micra and friends, or there's a lot of peripheral accessories such as bit kits, or other relevant tools such as with the outdoors gear, then more thought and special pouches might be required.

The neck lanyard is a great combo which has its own carry method. The keys tend to be a stand alone kit too. Both of which may be considered as a base layer, and allow me to just carry a traditional slippie for the day. I think the Micra/Dime kit will be a good travel set, when I don't expect to need anything heavier, which means I don't have to be too worried how pocketable the wallet is, as it will likely go in the pocket of a bag or coat. I've still not finalised the design elements for that though.

I like to stick with things for a while too. All this week, it's been a Sideclip and Evowood 14. A great combo which I know will handle most days, yet still be changeable by swapping for one of the other Wenger Travelers, or my knifeless Octane. I'll probably swap to something else for the weekend though :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #131 on: April 12, 2019, 06:00:07 PM
Carry options are a good thing.   While we have surplus its nice to try something just because, at least for me.  I was getting rid of anything that I didn't immediatly bond with or didn't find a paring with.  I now give a tool a fair shot and if it doesn't make sense after then I put it away.  I'll get rid of it down the road but I do like to rethink the tool before I send it on its way. 

I've gotten rid of a few tools that I do regret.  Nothing major but buying them back is not in my forecast.  I have a few combos that are easy to go for.  Not set ups I have to think much about.  My Manager/Fenix LD02/LM#4Photon X live on my keys.  Any tools I want to add are compliments to those.  When I am not driving or need my house keys is when I have other combos. 

An errand day like later today will get another combo specific to the errands.  Today is a pick up materials then PO then Bank then off to the grocery store.  I'll bring my Skeletool today in addition to a larger SAK ( Explorer ).     
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #132 on: April 12, 2019, 06:55:27 PM
Carry options are a good thing.   While we have surplus its nice to try something just because, at least for me.  I was getting rid of anything that I didn't immediatly bond with or didn't find a paring with.  I now give a tool a fair shot and if it doesn't make sense after then I put it away.  I'll get rid of it down the road but I do like to rethink the tool before I send it on its way. 

I've gotten rid of a few tools that I do regret.  Nothing major but buying them back is not in my forecast.  I have a few combos that are easy to go for.  Not set ups I have to think much about.  My Manager/Fenix LD02/LM#4Photon X live on my keys.  Any tools I want to add are compliments to those.  When I am not driving or need my house keys is when I have other combos. 

An errand day like later today will get another combo specific to the errands.  Today is a pick up materials then PO then Bank then off to the grocery store.  I'll bring my Skeletool today in addition to a larger SAK ( Explorer ).     

:tu:

I've gone back and repurchased a few things I parted with, only to remember why I got rid first time.  ::) Rebar, CS4, XE6, and Wenger PocketGrip were no better second time around. The only time it did work is the Sideclip.

These days, I spend a good while trying things, and only part with stuff I know with a fair amount of certainty that I'll not miss. That gets harder when you get down to ones that you've had good service from. Almost everything I now own, is stuff that tried and tested, and I know I can rely on. I still can't shake the feeling of having too much though, even though I've been looking at a couple of slippies recently :dwts:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #133 on: April 12, 2019, 07:13:10 PM
I think getting a trying new things might just be part of this whole "experiment". 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #134 on: April 12, 2019, 07:38:12 PM
I'm not getting any new stuff to try. I have too many options already :D

I do find myself being drawn back to where I started though, with little simple slippies. I've always liked the canoe pattern, but haven't had one for years. I hope to put that right soon. I'm also tempted for another penknife. Just the simple two bladed affair. They won't significantly change my combos, but give me a sense of the array being complete. At the moment, it kind of feels like I don't have a tie for every shirt, if that makes sense.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #135 on: April 12, 2019, 11:27:52 PM
Totally make sense to gravitate back. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #136 on: April 12, 2019, 11:40:45 PM
I can't bring myself to pay Case prices for a canoe, so I'm going to have a go at making one to start with. You might just be able to make out the hole centres and part of the outline on this sheet of brass.
IMG_20190412_223707_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190412_223707_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 28.84 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #137 on: April 12, 2019, 11:44:01 PM
 :popcorn: oooh this is interesting.  I always like a good project regardless the outcome ( successful is always nice ).  I had to back away from the Traditional side of the forum as I can see spending money to try patters.  I am fond of the Moose.  I've got a trapper that I also quite like.  Its nothing fancy but I like it.  I think 2 blades is what I tend to like in a traditional folder which is odd cause I can do without the small blade on my SAK  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #138 on: April 13, 2019, 12:01:39 AM
This is probably easier to picture. The black lines are the profile of a 93mm alox, the red lines the modified profile of the canoe. That's just a rough representation, and it may end up quite different as I start fiddling around with it. I'll be sticking with the blades from a Pioneer Pruner to keep it simple.
IMG_20190412_225332_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190412_225332_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 57.77 KB)
IMG_20190412_225939_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190412_225939_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 35.61 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #139 on: April 13, 2019, 12:05:51 AM
:popcorn: oooh this is interesting.  I always like a good project regardless the outcome ( successful is always nice ).  I had to back away from the Traditional side of the forum as I can see spending money to try patters.  I am fond of the Moose.  I've got a trapper that I also quite like.  Its nothing fancy but I like it.  I think 2 blades is what I tend to like in a traditional folder which is odd cause I can do without the small blade on my SAK  :dunno:.

I like two blades as well, but prefer them to be different. Barlows are probably my #1 pattern, though I do like simple penknives too - even if the blades are similar. Canoe, Scout knives, and single blade knives would round off my top 5 patterns.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD