Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cull Update

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Re: Cull Update
Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 02:22:09 AM
This discussion has made me realize.. are there any knifeless multi-tools that have outside facing tools? Seems like a quick deploy outside facing tool would be great.

There's small ones, like the knifeless version of the Dime and the Style PS. There's also the newer versions of the Sync that have just been announced. However, no "full sized" external access knifeless tools spring to mind.

Maybe the P2 will be that tool, all I need to do is replace the blade with another tool.

Cheers,
HG

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 03:14:54 PM
Following on from before, here's part of the cluster of keyring sized items which are also part of the thinning out process. Why only part of them? Well, that will become clear in the next post or two.
IMG_20190215_140108_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_140108_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 90.29 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 03:38:02 PM
Now we get to the fun bit, or at least, the fun bit for me. Weighing up one tool against another is all well and good, but that doesn't take into account the fact that I very rarely will only carry one pocket tool. As I mentioned before, the only one I might do that with is the Gerber Balance.

Most of the time, I'll have a combination of items, and as far as I'm concerned, combos are king. I find that it's how good a combo I can put together which dictates how frequently something gets carried, rather than how good individual items are. This is also how I was able to easily offload the stuff that went before taking these pictures without any sellers remorse. It wasn't just about an item not quite meeting my requirements, but about other tools building better combos.

The combos don't need to be large. The tool cluster on my keyring is a good example of that (Pic 1). A Gerber Dime, Utilikey and Nitecore tube. Some days this might be all I have. Other days, I might have the neck lanyard in the second picture, or I might have one of the trios from picture three. A good basic combo (for me) consists of scissors, knife, awl (or some form of general purpose pokey thing), pliers and Phillips. Not all combos need all of these, but it is the general template that I like to build around.

There's other "rules" too, such as making sure that if I'm carrying a locking blade tool, fixed blade, or a pocket clipped OHO folder, which some people might get the wrong impression from, I'll also have a low key traditional knife or other "people friendly" option, in case I need to use a blade in the midst of people who don't know me. But more on that later...
IMG_20190215_140640_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_140640_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 63.88 KB)
IMG_20190215_140613_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_140613_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 64.4 KB)
IMG_20190215_140850_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_140850_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 71.78 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 03:53:01 PM
I do have some combos, which don't tend to get reached for, unless I'm doing a specific activity. For example, outdoorsy stuff is when the higher visibility stuff comes out to play.

The knifeless Fuse modification has two key shortages. A knife blade, and can/bottle openers. The Scout Jr handles both those roles easily. Also, whilst the Fuse has a custom awl which Eric (Metro) milled for me, there's also a good substantial awl on the knife, which is great for poking out stuff jammed in your boot tread, without either having to get the pliers tool out, or damaging the sharp edge on the custom awl. On top of all that, the knife can stay attached to me (along with a few other useful goodies) so it's unlikely to fall out of my pocket without me noticing. The kit can also be supplemented as required, if that little knife blade won't be up to the tasks I think I'm liable to encounter.

The lightweight version of all this, is the KF4 and Climber Small combo, again, most stuff I expect to encounter will be handles by the pocket knife, but I do have a small pliers tool with an assortment of useful functions should I need something that the 84mm Vic can't handle.

These two combos are hands down the best that I've come up with for the role. A great balance of size, weight and function. Easy to find should I drop it, or place it down to free my hand up for something, and therefore a good chance of them all making the journey back home with me.
IMG_20190215_140336_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_140336_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 79.75 KB)
IMG_20190215_143609_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_143609_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 73.19 KB)
IMG_20190215_140523_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_140523_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 51.86 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 04:13:20 PM
I mentioned earlier, that the TurboDiesel resided in a "grab bag" for taking with me if I was visiting friends or family where odd jobs might need doing. I also grabbed this kit if someone was moving house, or there was some other activity where surprise jobs might arise. This kit has been a real day saver on many occasions.

Obviously the Diesel is knifeless, so the Boker XS takes care of that, as does the Swann Morton craft knife in the bottom right of the pic. The Soft Touch 14 is also on hand for when the XS might cause a stampede of unwanted questions. It also provides splinters, a better awl than the can opener on the Diesel (which does work very well as a scribe though), and as the can opener is BO coated, I won't use it for food, so the Wenger handles that too.

I also have the bit kit for the Diesel, and a couple of hacksaw blades which fit the blade carrier. The marking and measuring tools, plus the adjustable spanner and Knipex Cobra, round this kit off very nicely. I usually have some superglue and little tie wraps in there too, but they've been used and need replacing.

EDIT:  :oops: the Gerber Shard should have been in that picture too.
IMG_20190215_150011_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_150011_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 85.17 KB)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 04:15:51 PM by AimlessWanderer »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 04:44:56 PM
Not every combo is so rigidly defined. Some are more "mix and match". There's still a logic path of sorts though.

For example, if I fancy carrying a clipped folder, I need a "people friendly" option too, so that's either a traditional knife, or a Swiss knife with scissors. I see no benefit to carrying a Swiss knife WITHOUT scissors. I made that mistake on my first one, a Tourist, and that now lives in the kitchen drawer.

If I choose to pair the clipped folder with a traditional knife, or even forego the clipped folder and just carry a trad, I need a pliers tool with good enough scissors that I can get by without a Swissie. The top two choices here, are the MP400 modification, and the Balance. I may however go for the knifeless Wave instead, should I want a more heavily loaded toolset. The Balance does have its own non-locking sub 3" blade, but it's not the world's greatest, to be honest. Adding another plain edge blade gives me the option of serrations or not, but the Balance blade is people friendly enough that I can choose to carry it on its own, or add EITHER a clipped blade or traditional. I don't really need both like I do if I carry a clipped folder with the MP400. If I chose to, I can omit the clipped folder, and still have a good urban carry setup with either tool.

If however, I choose to go the Swiss knife route, a Sideclip or the knifeless Octane, provides both Phillips and pliers in a slim package, so I don't need a knife with inline Phillips. This gives me the choice of a wood or stainless Wenger Traveler, Salesman, the Sheepsfoot Duke, or the Original Outdoorsman, which not only adds a saw and file, but serrated and pruner blades too. Of course, I can forego the clipped folder here too, and still have a great urban pairing.
IMG_20190215_151936_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_151936_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 86 KB)
IMG_20190215_153058_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190215_153058_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 88.92 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #36 on: February 15, 2019, 04:54:50 PM
I really enjoyed the posts, thoughts and pics in here!  :like: :hatsoff:
Totally agree with you on the Diesel, and this:

On top of all those options for pocket carry, there's also a few tools that never leave home. These just sit on or near the desk, in case I need something special a regular multi can't provide, namely heavy duty shears, compound leverage pliers, or locking pliers. I don't actually have any dedicated tools to compete with those functions that these multitools provide.

this applies to me and my tools as well,  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: February 15, 2019, 05:08:53 PM
I really enjoyed the posts, thoughts and pics in here!  :like: :hatsoff:
Totally agree with you on the Diesel, and this:

On top of all those options for pocket carry, there's also a few tools that never leave home. These just sit on or near the desk, in case I need something special a regular multi can't provide, namely heavy duty shears, compound leverage pliers, or locking pliers. I don't actually have any dedicated tools to compete with those functions that these multitools provide.

this applies to me and my tools as well,  :tu:

Thanks TP  :salute: It's useful for me to "think out loud" like this, and good to know others enjoy following along  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 05:24:52 PM
What I find interesting is, no matter how many times we begin the "process" we will always tend to have more than we "need".  I try to stay away from the "need" perspective.  Reason being,  simply because I like certain tools regardless if they are used, seldom used, or not used at all :salute:.  YMMV as each of us knows what works best for ourselves.   

Unlike the long standing myth of Crows collecting shiny things, we however as humans do.  Its just that way and I'm a lot better at accepting it.  That being said, I've gone thru many of my tools and culled quite a lot.  I go thru periods of separating the tools I feel I no longer "need" and place them aside for further analysis.  A few tools continue on their way to new homes and new owners while many return to their dark resting place  :D

I'm am thankful to not have been so hasty with some tools.  I also make it a point as you allude to, to put certain tools into use to get a clearer understanding of that tool or as you state "Maybe I ought to force myself to start carrying them all more, and see which ones I get sick of quickest."  My Skeletool CX is such a tool.  I am glad I just put it aside and let enough time pass to try again.  My Charge TTi is another.     

I am not hesitant to assign a tool a purpose even if that purpose on the surface is lowly  ;).  I don't currently have a bathroom drain tool, YET  :whistle:.  I have tools parceled about my home.  I have them on my coffee table, in my shed, garage,  kitchen drawer, hall closet, small tool box, vehicle, evacuation bag, and other places.  These are tools that are good tools just not tools I want to carry.  This is yet another distinction I tend to make when deciding a tools fate.  Just because I don't want to carry it doesn't mean its time to go.

I really like this thread.  :salute:

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 06:04:51 PM
What I find interesting is, no matter how many times we begin the "process" we will always tend to have more than we "need".  I try to stay away from the "need" perspective.  Reason being,  simply because I like certain tools regardless if they are used, seldom used, or not used at all :salute:.  YMMV as each of us knows what works best for ourselves.   

Unlike the long standing myth of Crows collecting shiny things, we however as humans do.  Its just that way and I'm a lot better at accepting it.  That being said, I've gone thru many of my tools and culled quite a lot.  I go thru periods of separating the tools I feel I no longer "need" and place them aside for further analysis.  A few tools continue on their way to new homes and new owners while many return to their dark resting place  :D

I'm am thankful to not have been so hasty with some tools.  I also make it a point as you allude to, to put certain tools into use to get a clearer understanding of that tool or as you state "Maybe I ought to force myself to start carrying them all more, and see which ones I get sick of quickest."  My Skeletool CX is such a tool.  I am glad I just put it aside and let enough time pass to try again.  My Charge TTi is another.     

I am not hesitant to assign a tool a purpose even if that purpose on the surface is lowly  ;).  I don't currently have a bathroom drain tool, YET  :whistle:.  I have tools parceled about my home.  I have them on my coffee table, in my shed, garage,  kitchen drawer, hall closet, small tool box, vehicle, evacuation bag, and other places.  These are tools that are good tools just not tools I want to carry.  This is yet another distinction I tend to make when deciding a tools fate.  Just because I don't want to carry it doesn't mean its time to go.

You raise some good points there.  :cheers:

I just don't like owning stuff which I know I'll never use. It doesn't matter how infrequently I might reach for it, I just need to know that at some point I WILL reach for it.

The four tools that stay on my desk are good examples of this. It's very rarely that I will need locking pliers, compound leverage, or heavy duty shears. However, when you do need that, nothing else will do. Likewise, the bright orange and yellow combos are the best tools for that role. The last time I toted the bright orange kit was the UK meet, and I haven't pocketed the yellow combo for several months either, but when the time comes for me to be off tarmac, with mud, grass or shingle beneath my feet, those are absolutely the combos I want with me.

The ones I've already parted with, are the ones that I'd only use if I forced myself to. In all other situations, I'd have reached for one of the tools or combos I've posted pics of in this thread. The point of the journey for me, was always to find my ideal tools, I just failed to dispose as quickly as I acquired, but that gave me more assessment time with each item. Some trends became clear deal breakers for me, such as 3+ blade slippies, splayed handles, impeded gripping areas, Swissies without scissors, obvious design or production failings (such as the Flik pawls, I've just been discussing in another thread), and meant I could avoid or offload clumps of items easily. Now I'm just down to too many good workable options.

I still want to keep an element of surplus and redundancy, specifically a Plan B for each role or category in case of loss or breakage. That's why there's two Spirits and two Sideclips. The yellow and orange combos serve as a "reserve" for each other too. Yet I don't want five of something in the drawer, when I'll only ever reach for one or two of them. If there's something in there that's always overlooked for something else, I need to question why it's there at all.

I could come up with some convoluted reason for keeping everything, but I know when I look at the big group shots, there is no sensible justification for me other than pride of ownership - but ownership alone doesn't make me content. I have to feel benefit from it as a tool, not just a possession. That's just my quirks though, and I fully understand and appreciate that others think differently. So I feel the need to streamline, without losing options, back up plans, versatility, and suitability, which is where the tricky decisions come in :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 08:27:51 PM
It is super tricky to find that balance you seek.  There are some tools that can be easily parted with after trying and trying.  I know those all too well.  Back ups are good.  Once I deem a tool a back up then I make peace with it so I don't deliberate on and on about selling or keeping. 

Beater tools.  I have tools that are tools I have no problem working hard with little regard.  It if breaks then it breaks.  I have a Swisstool in my garage for that as well as in my house tool box.  I don't mind keeping them in their places.  Out of sight, out of mind, till of course I need them.  I have a few SAKs and folders that also fall into this category. 

Next up the ladder are tools that are on standby.  These tools are good tools that have proven themselves.  I keep them closer at hand for things that pop up.  My OG Surge and Modded Wave are my coffee table tools.  If I need a tools I grab these first.  If I need dedicated tools then I get my house tool box.  If I need more specialized tools then out to the garage.  I keep a SAK, folder, and Micra on my coffee table as well as a headlamp. 

Further up the ladder are my on person tools while home doing chores.  These are tools I rely on as I will have them on person.  Today for example I have my Skeletool CX, OC Farmer, Squirt P4, and Benchmade Nimravus on me.  If I require more then I can go to my garage or house tool box.  If my Farmers saw comes up short for example, I'll go to my shed and fetch my saw.  If my Skeletools pliers are a bit weak then out to my garage to get the big channel locks. 

Work tools.  This is much like my on person tools except that these tools are only used at work.  My Charge TTi, Deluxe Tinker are examples of those tools.  I like both tools a lot.  They earned their spot on work detail. 

Off day tools.  I have tools that I carry off days.  These are tools that I will leaving the house with on off days.  Errands, trips to the store, lunch with my kids, etc. 

Hiking, camping, walks tools, evacuation bag tools, etc. 

Like many here I ended up with a lot of tools.  Some were easily moved on.  Some are just wonderful and are now shelf queens.  Some have jobs.  The spillover tools are the ones I have a hard time with, I've recently referred to these as benchwarmers.   These are tools that aren't back ups, aren't still being tested, aren't bad tools, they are just EXTRA stuff accumulated over this process.

I think many of us who aren't actively collecting or seeking out tools to collect find ourselves in similar circumstances.  I am still a collector to an extent admittedly.  Funny thing is, I just don't know what the next tool I'd designate to shelf queen status until I meet it  :rofl:

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: February 15, 2019, 09:28:13 PM
It is super tricky to find that balance you seek.  There are some tools that can be easily parted with after trying and trying.  I know those all too well.  Back ups are good.  Once I deem a tool a back up then I make peace with it so I don't deliberate on and on about selling or keeping. 

Beater tools.  I have tools that are tools I have no problem working hard with little regard.  It if breaks then it breaks.  I have a Swisstool in my garage for that as well as in my house tool box.  I don't mind keeping them in their places.  Out of sight, out of mind, till of course I need them.  I have a few SAKs and folders that also fall into this category. 

Next up the ladder are tools that are on standby.  These tools are good tools that have proven themselves.  I keep them closer at hand for things that pop up.  My OG Surge and Modded Wave are my coffee table tools.  If I need a tools I grab these first.  If I need dedicated tools then I get my house tool box.  If I need more specialized tools then out to the garage.  I keep a SAK, folder, and Micra on my coffee table as well as a headlamp. 

Further up the ladder are my on person tools while home doing chores.  These are tools I rely on as I will have them on person.  Today for example I have my Skeletool CX, OC Farmer, Squirt P4, and Benchmade Nimravus on me.  If I require more then I can go to my garage or house tool box.  If my Farmers saw comes up short for example, I'll go to my shed and fetch my saw.  If my Skeletools pliers are a bit weak then out to my garage to get the big channel locks. 

Work tools.  This is much like my on person tools except that these tools are only used at work.  My Charge TTi, Deluxe Tinker are examples of those tools.  I like both tools a lot.  They earned their spot on work detail. 

Off day tools.  I have tools that I carry off days.  These are tools that I will leaving the house with on off days.  Errands, trips to the store, lunch with my kids, etc. 

Like many here I ended up with a lot of tools.  Some were easily moved on.  Some are just wonderful and are now shelf queens.  Some have jobs.  The spillover tools are the ones I have a hard time with, I've recently referred to these as benchwarmers.   These are tools that aren't back ups, aren't still being tested, aren't bad tools, they are just EXTRA stuff accumulated over this process.

I think many of us who aren't actively collecting or seeking out tools to collect find ourselves in similar circumstances.  I am still a collector to an extent admittedly.  Funny thing is, I just don't know what the next tool I'd designate to shelf queen status until I meet it  :rofl:

That sounds very much like I used to do. :)  I had all the above categories that I made posts on, plus the ones I haven't mentioned yet (waiting for natural daylight for more pics), then I'd have my work tools, my car tools, and my boat tools. Those last three categories no longer apply,

When I had more facets to my life, I needed more tools. As my life has simplified, I'm looking to simplify the tool array to suit. Even when I've done, I'll still have more tools than "normal people" do :D However, I'll have the very best suited tools for my evolved preferences, and tested methods.

I've got a few more combos to chuck up here when I get some daylight, then I plan to move onto looking at what didn't work, what things still feel incomplete, what's needed to fix them, where I might be able to simplify overlapping areas, or redefine the boundaries between them. The stuff I've posted so far, is some (most) of the background to the thought processes which follow next. I'm trying to not just show my tools and explain why they're here, but open up the thought processes about what's next, as well as what's behind me.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: February 16, 2019, 04:11:08 PM
Moving on to the Spirit, which as mentioned earlier, is the last locking bladed tool in the array. This is a tool that tends to either get used at home, or taken with me if I'm going to be staying somewhere for a while - either on holiday, or staying with friends and family. It's an excellent tool for that, as the tool set is so diverse, you're unlikely to ever encounter a challenge that the Spirit doesn't offer something to attempt to conquer it with.

There's still the chance I might end up in the midst of people who don't know my intentions though, and still like to have a good "people friendly" option to hand. As such, I tend to carry a more capable (heavily tooled) Swiss knife, so there's a higher probability that I won't need the Spirit. Specifically, I want a Swiss knife with a Phillips. So while the Spirit is a fantastic tool, I only want to use it when not surrounded by idiots, or when all else has failed.

I may or may not choose to add a clipped OHO folder to the ensemble, but a Swissie with Phillips forms the foundation for a combo with a Spirit for me.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: February 16, 2019, 04:19:50 PM
The only two full sized tools that haven't been attributed to a combo yet, are the MP6000 and the knifeless Wave. Both these are very capable tools in their own right, and the only thing they're missing, are the plain and serrated blades they started out with. The Wings Slipit nips that problem in the bud.

I don't know exactly what it is about the Wings, but it's the only one of my clipped OHO folders, that I feel comfortable not carrying a "people friendly" option with too. It just seems inherently less "tacti-cool" than the others. I do wish I'd picked up a spare when they were still in circulation.

I do have a people friendly alternative though, in the Victorinox Original Outdoorsman, which carries both serrated knife and pruned blade.

IMG_20190216_121219_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190216_121219_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 73.04 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: February 16, 2019, 04:33:22 PM
As regards spares and back ups, the modified MP600 and Wave also overlap with the Diesel, and each could serve as a replacement for one of the others, should they be wrecked, lost, or stolen.

The Wave does get carried a fair bit, but the MP600 does not, even though I really like that mod. The issue is the blunt pliers. It made sense to have a blunt pliers tool in engineering or marine setting, where I might need a little more grunt from my pliers, but it's overkill in my current lifestyle. A standard hybrid needlenose plier would probably be a better urban tool.

Luckily, I can do that. I do have a regular MP600 with integral cutters (I've no love for the evaporating carbide ones), in a pair of black handles. That would make this tool a much better pairing/alternative for the Wave as a fully loaded urban tool, as a step up from the MP400 or Balance mentioned a whileback.

The only reason to keep the blunt nosed pliers in it, would be for hobby use at home, and assign this tool to the other speSmurfpillsed ones with the shears, compound leverage, and locking pliers. However, unlike those tools, I do have several other dedicated options that I could reach for instead.
IMG_20190216_121434_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190216_121434_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 79.33 KB)
IMG_20190216_121901_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190216_121901_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 91.93 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: February 16, 2019, 04:41:59 PM
Of course, the other option for carrying more tools in an urban combo, is stick with the lighter, simpler pliers tools, and carry a thicker and more tool heavy Swiss knife instead. This can make more sense when pocket space is limited (I don't do the Batman utility belt sheath thing for several reasons), or you don't want to be faffing around with a pliers tool for everything that might need doing. Sometimes it's nice to just let the knife do the bulk of the work.

IMG_20190216_124510_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190216_124510_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 78 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: February 16, 2019, 04:59:39 PM
One of my combo themes, still isn't complete, even after all these years, and I've come to the conclusion that I won't be happy until I build my own solution - and that's formal carry.

When it's time to get suited up, a different set of tools come out to play. I want something light, pocketable without "printing", more glamorous looking than usual, and yet still be able to handle tasks that I realistically expect I might encounter.

At the larger end of the options, is a Wenger Traveler and Sideclip. I never got my hands on a polished version, but intend to polish one of mine up. I have some micro-mesh cloth, and some of those multi-grit nail buffer pads for that specific reason.

If I want to go lighter than that, I have the scrolled bolster Case barlow, and a decent little stainless toolset with quartz pocket watch, which will easily distribute about my person. I haven't quite got the "yellow metal" one complete though, to pair up with the gold plated mechanical watch. I do have the TiNi pliers and Cu Maratac, but need to carry out my intended modification of a Victorinox Executive to really round off that set.
IMG_20190216_122903_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190216_122903_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 79.5 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: February 16, 2019, 05:05:08 PM
Good thread Al and I'm enjoying reading your thoughts regarding what and why you carry .    :like: :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: February 16, 2019, 05:23:22 PM
One way of managing combos like all these, is to relate them to shoes. Bear with me, there is a logic path here, honest! :D

Lets go back over some combos to illustrate my point.

Hiking Boots

Show content

Work Boots

Show content

Polished dress shoes

Show content

Light trainers or sandals

Show content

Slippers (at home, or on holiday)

Show content

And then there's the issue of the casual shoes for ordinary daily carry. Here's where is goes completely ape.  :facepalm: While I've posted pics only showing one or two combo formats at a time, once you push the "specific role combos" to one side, there's a huge abundance of regular daily carry options.

... and it will get worse, before it gets better...
IMG_20190216_123923_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190216_123923_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 118.62 KB)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:38:42 PM by AimlessWanderer »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: February 16, 2019, 05:25:02 PM
Bah!  :rant: Why do those spoiler tags not have images in.

OK, brief interlude while I fix this....

Talk amongst yourselves  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: February 16, 2019, 05:39:24 PM
OK, fixed. Sorry about that.  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: February 16, 2019, 05:40:19 PM
Good thread Al and I'm enjoying reading your thoughts regarding what and why you carry .    :like: :tu:

Thanks Steve  :D

Glad it's all been worthwhile. I hope I'm not boring too many people  :-[

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: February 16, 2019, 05:51:18 PM
Where was I ... Ah, yes! It'll get worse before it gets better.

That's because I've still not done  >:D

As shown above, I still need to rebuild the MP6000, and "archive" the blunt nosed pliers.
I still need to do the Executive mod.
I still need to polish the Sideclip.

... and I still have A LOT of knife mods to do.

The three Victorinox and Wenger mods I shown earlier, are all going to be redone. Out of the pile of donor parts, another four new mods will be born. One 93mm non-alox, another couple of 91s, and the 74mm mentioned already, These will be a long time coming, as I have quite ambitious plans for all of them. I've given insights into some of the tweaks I have planned in the past, but I don't want to spell out every last detail of each one. I'll let that be a surprise for later. However, I expect there will be several tens of hours spent on each one, and each will have it's own new set of logistic and technical challenges.

So until I get all those done, and spend time "testing" them in their relevant combos (it ALL revolves around the combo), I won't know which my favourites are, and which other combo elements will suddenly find themselves redundant.
IMG_20190216_135628_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190216_135628_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 83.47 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: February 16, 2019, 06:23:09 PM
For me, everything revolves around the combo, and the environment/role that combo will be carried in. Some things just don't fall neatly into a combo. I mentioned before, that the MP6000 mod had lost it's "placement" since I no longer found myself in the two hard use environments, but that's something that I can address and change.

Some stuff, like the Style PS, just ends up being a bit of an odd sock, and never really pairing up well with anything. I've tried to like it, and repeatedly tried to incorporate it, but never achieved either to my satisfaction.

Here's why...

It's got pliers, scissors, bottle opener, nail file, and a small driver that will actually turn a loose-ish PH2 headed screw. It's even got a pair of tweezers tucked in there too. Brilliant. All I need is to add a traditional pocket knife, and I've got a cool little combo, that's great for carrying in shorts.

Except I haven't.

The scissors spring has crapped out again. I've already had this replaced once, and it's not worth the stamp to send it back in again. The next one will be no better, and it's just a matter of time before that one meets the same demise. So now I need a knife, and I need scissors.

A Classic gives me decent scissors, but doubles up on tweezers, nail file, and driver - so the only benefit the Style gives is the pliers and bottle opener. Pairing it with a Micra is even worse, as that doubles up on the bottle opener too, not to mention the build quality on mine - despite it celebrating their 30th Anniversary - is abysmal. The scissors are next to useless, and if I ever find a role for them, I'll need to repeen the scissors to take the gross slop out of them, and look at why the "backspring" part of the handles, isn't giving the retention it should on the smaller tools  ::)

Well, it is another Leatherman after all. There's a good reason I own more Gerbers  :P  :D

... but moving swiftly on before I get flamed...  :whistle:

The comedy, highly sprung, ping out of your hand and fly across the room, True Utility SciXors, are a fantastic prank to play on someone who desperately needs scissors, but doesn't carry their own tools. However, they're next to useless if you actually need scissors yourself  :D In fact the best way of making up for the Style PS scissor defecit (which is still oK for single snip solutions, just not multiple snips), might be adding nail clippers. Unfortunately that tool, a penknife and nail clippers, just doesn't feel like a proper combo to me.

So that's just a brief insight into the type of thoughts my head spews out when putting together these combos  :)

IMG_20190216_133914_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190216_133914_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 79.19 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: February 16, 2019, 06:43:19 PM
So, summing up,

• I've come a long way, but still have more to do.
  • I have more to come, as well as more to go
  • When the new stuff comes, that might changes what old stuff goes
  • I never say in a single paragraph, that which I can spread over two pages  :rofl:

Also, despite feeling snowed under with options, they are all (or at least most of them) getting some use. I'm pretty sure I've used every one of the knives in the attached picture over the last 12 months. There's also the issue of "tomorrow".

My life has changed immensely in the last three years. Who knows what further changes my lie in store. Even if my health and lifestyle don't change, tools break, or get lost or stolen, despite the reasonable care we give them. The surplus that I currently own, would be incredibly difficult or expensive to replace should I need to do so at a later date.

The Wave consists of parts from a 2004 Wave, a Grappler, a Blast and a Wingman. Try tracking all those down in good condition in 10 years time. Will the market continue to offer pocket clipped OHO sub 3" slippies? The parts for the planned Swiss knife mods took a long time to round up too. So while I do sometimes feel swamped in my residual excess, even though I've managed to offload great swathes of stuff that was overshadowed by what i've shared in this thread, I have to bear in mind that anything else I let go, might never be replaced by its equivalent or equal.

So the journey continues, to and fro. Tools in, tools out, tools killed, tools born. No matter how frustrated and crochetty I might get along the way, I'm certainly a lot happier in my tool selection than I was when I started. Many of the trophies I collected, were hard won, and I'd be unlikely to win them again. I can honestly say that I have some of the best tools and mods I could wish for, in terms of my own evolving needs and preferences.

Ok, I'm done  :)

Thanks for following along, and putting up with my ramblings in my tale of the journey so far  :salute:

:cheers:
IMG_20190216_131617_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190216_131617_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 104.03 KB)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:45:18 PM by AimlessWanderer »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: February 17, 2019, 02:54:51 AM

I've revisited tools a few times now. I didn't instantly connect with the Gerber Multipliers, which have now become a strong favourite, and I sold my first Sideclip, only to really notice the benefits and true potential of the Sideclip/Swiss knife combo a couple of year later.

The CS4, XE6, and Blast are tools I bought, sold then bought again, only to realise I didn't like them any better the second time around. However, revisiting them helped me settle on the Fuse and KF4 as the sweet spots in the Zytel and Juice lines.

The Rebar was a fail for me both times, and even after modding it, and trying a custom loadout with the integral cutter pliers, I still couldn't abide it. I tried Bear and Sons pre-Swisstools twice too. Solid tools, and an interesting point in the timeline, but just that little bit too clunky for me.

One thing that's been great for wondering if I made a mistake before, is the UK meet. It's good to try tool versions that I've let go in the past, and see if my perceptions have changed. That's how I "rediscovered" the Sideclip again.

I really ought to do this a little more, and put one of the more comprehensive pliers tools in the kitchen. All that lives in there is a Tourist knife in the cutlery drawer, and a few specific food and drink oriented tools (a huge BBQ tool I got from Beat, the Bar10der, and a pair of CRKT Crossover shears). The orange hiking gear lives in an outdoors vest in the wardrobet, the Octane currently resides in the bathroom, and the rest is stored all together in drawers.

I used to be a lot better at having tools spread out where I might need them. I suppose I've tended not to bother as I don't stray as far now. I do have a couple of items stashed in kits though, such as the Clipper in the washbag, and the Compact in a first aid kit.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: February 17, 2019, 03:16:49 AM

I think many of us who aren't actively collecting or seeking out tools to collect find ourselves in similar circumstances.  I am still a collector to an extent admittedly.  Funny thing is, I just don't know what the next tool I'd designate to shelf queen status until I meet it  :rofl:.   

One thing I noticed that made a big (perceived) difference, was rounding up all the mod fodder, and dumping it in a cardboard box by the hobby desk. Instantly the number of Swiss knives I was faced with every time I opened the drawer, halved in one foul swoop :D

There are other duplications in the drawers, such as both Sideclips, both Byrd Terns, the spare MP400 that has all the offcast parts from a knifeless mod, and the spare handles for the MP600..Clearing those out and stashing them somewhere out of sight might give a little psychological lift Too. I have got a box with assorted spare parts in, and maybe organising that a bit better and putting the duplicates in there, would make sense, but I don't want to fall into the hoarding trap of keeping stuff but just hiding it so I can pretend its not really there :P.

I'll have a play with the idea though, and just have a "pick of the day" drawer, and just put the rest in a different drawer, just so it's not hitting me between the eyes every day.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: February 17, 2019, 05:02:31 PM
Some of my favorites threads and videos to watch are ones discussing what people carry and why.  I like to read and hear about the mindset of how one reaches conclusions about gear.  I also like to see how one item may not have worked for someone yet I find does for me, or vice versa.  When it comes to choosing what to carry and what works is a matter of personal discovery if one decides to go that route.  Another route is simply familiarity.  This can work too. 

I have come to really appreciate combinations.  Yeah I carried a MT, SAK, light, but until I gave it some further thought it was just tools.  This might sound a bit much for some but for me it has streamlined what I carry and how.  I'm also not lugging around a bunch of gear "just incase".  The Squirt for me has become a staple of my carry.  I want to like the Micra but after several attempts to carry it I find it needing a V.2 variant YMMV.  If I want a scissor based tool I'd rather carry my Style CS. 

Your keyring set ups are well very well thought out for what you desire and want to carry.  I believe I am still working on the right combination myself. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread.  Its helped me take a closer look at what I carry and has given me some great things to think about. 

The next step for me are the benchwarmers.  What to do with the benchwarmers  :dunno:       
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #58 on: February 17, 2019, 06:09:28 PM
Fixed blades are exactly the same too. Way more than I need, but none I can single out as wanting to part with.

If you ever decide to part with the Sheffield one on the bottom row 2nd from the left I know someone interested  :pok:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: February 17, 2019, 07:25:29 PM
Some of my favorites threads and videos to watch are ones discussing what people carry and why.  I like to read and hear about the mindset of how one reaches conclusions about gear.  I also like to see how one item may not have worked for someone yet I find does for me, or vice versa.  When it comes to choosing what to carry and what works is a matter of personal discovery if one decides to go that route.  Another route is simply familiarity.  This can work too. 

I have come to really appreciate combinations.  Yeah I carried a MT, SAK, light, but until I gave it some further thought it was just tools.  This might sound a bit much for some but for me it has streamlined what I carry and how.  I'm also not lugging around a bunch of gear "just incase".  The Squirt for me has become a staple of my carry.  I want to like the Micra but after several attempts to carry it I find it needing a V.2 variant YMMV.  If I want a scissor based tool I'd rather carry my Style CS. 

Your keyring set ups are well very well thought out for what you desire and want to carry.  I believe I am still working on the right combination myself. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread.  Its helped me take a closer look at what I carry and has given me some great things to think about. 

The next step for me are the benchwarmers.  What to do with the benchwarmers  :dunno:     

Thanks mate. It's taken a long time for each of these combos to evolve and become as fine tuned as they are. I went through a heck of a lot of failed combos along the way too. All it takes is to be faced with one task that you can't handle, even though you really should, and the whole ensemble goes back to the drawing board.

As to your benchwarmers, I think that's a good analogy of the tools that I've been wrestling with. Great tools that you absolutely want on the team, that have no immediate need of. The knifeless MP600 mod is definitely one of those. I think I'll do the swap to regular plier head, and store the blunt nosed pliers as back ups. I'm loathed to part with them, as they'll be too hard to track down again in future, but I'll me more likely to use the tool with regular pliers. In turn, I'll feel better about having it on hand if it's something that I might actually pick up for a day's carry.

I'll shuffle things around over the next few weeks, with all the stuff I want to mod in one pile/drawer, everything that gets regular use/carry in another, and everything that doesn't seem to have a role in the third. Once all the mods are done, I might feel swamped again, but at least I can revisit it all, and see if my favourites are as they were, or have gotten even better :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD