Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Diesel - Utterly disappointed.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Gerber Diesel - Utterly disappointed.
Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 07:23:25 AM
Thanks for the work to help figure out where Gerber is going wrong with the Diesel, AW!

Gerber would do well to bring your level of expertise into the manufacturing facilities. By the time you got done with them, the pliers would be cutting hair. :multi:

Looks as if the poor cutting is a problem with newer tools. Also, the bad cutters seem to be a more recent issue with Diesel owners.

Sam,
You may want to ask Gerber if they have any older tools available. Or if they would pay for an older version. I doubt they would, but it couldn't hurt to ask. :dunno:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 07:30:49 AM
That's a real shame, Sam. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do yourself either. If there's metal where there shouldn't be, you can file it off, but if there isn't metal where there should be, you're out of look.

I'd still send them the photos, and tell them that for the third time, the cutters won't cut. Also do tell them that you've already paid for the first two to be returned, and you refuse to pay any more postage.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 10:31:53 AM
hmm.. Thanks everyone for the response and feedbacks.  :)  I did emailed them about this issue so what I can do is probably wait. I probably will not send there the third time.. its just too uneconomical and I think Icannot take another disappoint again.

Just my rant on how things have turned out so far. While not being in the US, I can understand there may a limit to what Gerber's "Lifetime Warranty" can do. I dun think I can demand too much from their head office. By right, we will have to fall back to our local agents. If they insist that they require proof of purchase, there really not much we can do. Rules are Rules. Something that's a bummer for folks like us out of the States. The US warranty dept are helpful enough to entertain international consumers like me and send me 2 replacements and I do really appreciate that.  :salute: I think all companies have their Philosophy and Vision on how they want their product to be and how consumers are assured. But as what many members here said before, even if a company that have a wonderful warranty program or even better, extend it to cover international, if what comes out of of their factories are not check, it makes no difference.  :pok: All companies need better QC.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:45:48 AM by Sam Lim »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 04:59:06 PM
A little update.. or rather a lack of update on this matter..  :-\

I sent them an email on this matter on the 15th Feb. There was no replies or whatsoever from Gerber. In fact I sent 2 emails to them, first was to ask them on a missing item. Their returned package is supposed to contain 2 items, a Diesel and a BG mini tool that is supposedly to be returned to me from warranty. To be fair to Gerber, the package that is suppose to reach me went through my forwarder and had been repacked before. So I am not sure what or where went wrong here. I had checked with my forwarder but they responded that they have only received one item and asked me to check with Gerber. I had used the forwarder to forward many, really many items and never ever had a single issue with them.

Gerber did not respond to my email.

2nd email was sent shortly after when I notice this problem with the cutter.

Gerber didn't respond either.

In fact, during my first replacement many months ago, I did already email them on the cutter when I have received the replacement. There wasn't any respond from them that time either but I was really busy so I didn't think too much on the matter...

To further test my luck with Gerber Diesel, I ordered another SS Diesel from Amazon and it arrived today.. Guess what.... I think its not my bad luck but some serious flaws with their manufacturing process and quality control. I think there is no need to make another video...

Thank God for Amazon's incredible return program. This will be going back to Amazon.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: February 23, 2019, 05:24:32 PM
That's a real shame, Sam. Mine is close enough to even wear the oxide coating off. I very rarely use wire cutters, so that wear is just from plier use, not cutter use.
IMG_20190223_162142_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190223_162142_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 49.26 KB)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 05:35:50 PM
That's a real shame, Sam. Mine is close enough to even wear the oxide coating off. I very rarely use wire cutters, so that wear is just from plier use, not cutter use.

Your cutter looks perfect 50!

Offline mikekoz

Reply #36 on: February 24, 2019, 11:38:13 PM
    I have a Diesel somewhere. Bought it a few years ago, and as soon as I took it out of the box I just thought it was a MP600 that was made in China. I never used it as I just bought one to have it. That looks pretty bad, but the big question is, how does it cut wire? I am just curious.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 25, 2019, 12:00:55 AM
    I have a Diesel somewhere. Bought it a few years ago, and as soon as I took it out of the box I just thought it was a MP600 that was made in China. I never used it as I just bought one to have it. That looks pretty bad, but the big question is, how does it cut wire? I am just curious.

If tools can talk, it will be asking back Gerber the same question... How do I cut wire?!? But probably they wouldn't reply either..

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: February 25, 2019, 12:24:36 AM
My Diesel cuts wire just fine, but then there is the fact it was one made before assembly was outsourced. Gerber and SOG really need to send teams of the engineers, that design the tools, to oversee the manufacture and assembly.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #39 on: February 25, 2019, 01:23:35 AM
If tools can talk, it will be asking back Gerber the same question... How do I cut wire?!? But probably they wouldn't reply either..

What I mean is have you actually tried to cut wire with it? I am curious how this flaw actually affects it's cutting ability.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: February 25, 2019, 01:40:24 AM
I was assuming, as many MTs as Sam has, he would have checked that. But, good question, Mike! :like:

I have tools from several companies that won't cut a single sheet of paper, but they make quick work of steel wire, electrical wire and zip ties. My most recent "high-end" MT was a second-hand SwissTool RS, and it won't cut sheets of paper, but it cuts wire just fine.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 25, 2019, 02:06:48 AM
      What I mean is have you actually tried to cut wire with it? I am curious how this flaw actually affects it's cutting ability.

:) I always deal with copper stranded so it will strip the insulation, folds over the copper strands cleanly. I can imagine it will be the same with smaller gauge romex but I seldom deal with them. Hard wire is probably a no go with this cutter looking at the way the cutters are grounded.  The diesels cutters from factory are grounded at a steeper angle and are pretty sharp I would say. But that gap just makes cutting impossible. The facing teeth are at least a whole mm apart where they are suppose to meet.

Yes.. I have tried cutting with all the diesels that was received.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:08:09 AM by Sam Lim »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: February 25, 2019, 02:14:16 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Sam! :like:

I figured you had checked that beforehand. :) :)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: February 25, 2019, 03:17:29 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Sam! :like:

I figured you had checked that beforehand. :) :)

:salute: it's the star of a pliers based MT. Dun think they can magically cut without any contact..  :pok:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: February 25, 2019, 03:25:36 AM
:salute: it's the star of a pliers based MT. Dun think they can magically cut without any contact..  :pok:
:cheers:
Well. You can. However, not quite like imagined. If you're in a tight, you can place the wire in the cutters and use your free hand to squeeze the jaw tips passed each other until the cutters meet. I have used that method on really crappy tools before. :rofl:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: February 25, 2019, 04:17:17 AM
:cheers:
Well. You can. However, not quite like imagined. If you're in a tight, you can place the wire in the cutters and use your free hand to squeeze the jaw tips passed each other until the cutters meet. I have used that method on really crappy tools before. :rofl:

:like: but doubt so in my case, the pivot is too perfect without any play, and with that channel, it's beyond hope.. Teeth may work better..  :whistle:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: February 25, 2019, 04:21:22 AM
 :rofl:

My teeth hurt thinking about it. :dwts:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: February 25, 2019, 04:22:22 AM
My Diesel cuts wire just fine, but then there is the fact it was one made before assembly was outsourced. Gerber and SOG really need to send teams of the engineers, that design the tools, to oversee the manufacture and assembly.

I didn't realise the Diesel was ever made in house. When was the change?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: February 25, 2019, 05:10:45 AM
I want to say a few years ago(edit: probably wasn't that long ago). I remember seeing an article, but cannot find it now.  :ahhh

My Diesel had "Assembled in USA with Global Materials" on the clam packaging. I rarely hold onto clamshell packaging. I'll look around some more on google tomorrow. :)
Edit:
Here is a photo I found showing the boxed version. It is written by the UPC. Hard to make out though.

* s-l400-2.jpg (Filesize: 10.3 KB)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:18:36 AM by gerleatherberman »

Offline mikekoz

Reply #49 on: February 25, 2019, 10:49:01 AM
   All this talk about this thing made me dig mine up! On mine, the box  states "assembled in USA of USA and imported components". My cutters also appear to have no gap in between them. There is a 2012 date on the box so I may have had this longer than I thought. I thought Gerber was trying to manufacture more of their tools here in the USA.  :dunno:
I still do not see why Gerber makes this when all it appears to be is a MP600. I own several MP600's but do not have time to get one right now for comparison. The saw may be different. Anyhow, I am digressing. It stinks that Gerber apparently has let the QC on this model go. I am going to guess that Gerber will not give you your money back for it. Maybe you can find an older version on Ebay?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:55:54 AM by mikekoz »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: February 25, 2019, 12:12:26 PM
   All this talk about this thing made me dig mine up! On mine, the box  states "assembled in USA of USA and imported components". My cutters also appear to have no gap in between them. There is a 2012 date on the box so I may have had this longer than I thought. I thought Gerber was trying to manufacture more of their tools here in the USA.  :dunno:
I still do not see why Gerber makes this when all it appears to be is a MP600. I own several MP600's but do not have time to get one right now for comparison. The saw may be different. Anyhow, I am digressing. It stinks that Gerber apparently has let the QC on this model go. I am going to guess that Gerber will not give you your money back for it. Maybe you can find an older version on Ebay?

:) Actually do not really need one.. Just wanted to sort things out with them. From my conversation with Gerber rep, Diesel is the model to replace Flik. The Mp600 is before even filk I think. Its a well tested platform and not going to retire anytime soon so I guess they just wanted to bring something new to consumer.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: February 25, 2019, 01:29:37 PM
I want to say a few years ago(edit: probably wasn't that long ago). I remember seeing an article, but cannot find it now.  :ahhh

My Diesel had "Assembled in USA with Global Materials" on the clam packaging. I rarely hold onto clamshell packaging. I'll look around some more on google tomorrow. :)
Edit:
Here is a photo I found showing the boxed version. It is written by the UPC. Hard to make out though.

Thanks mate  :cheers: the box for mine is long gone. I only hold on to them long enough to be sure everything works, and then it gets ditched, so I've no idea what mine said.  :-[

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: February 25, 2019, 03:58:29 PM
Thank you for checking on that,  Mike! :salute:
So, it would appear, the older US-assembled tools were likely to be less defective. We all definitely need to make sure we buy ones with pre-2015(or 16/17, not quite sure) to get good cutters. :ahhh

Thanks mate  :cheers: the box for mine is long gone. I only hold on to them long enough to be sure everything works, and then it gets ditched, so I've no idea what mine said.  :-[
Understood! :cheers:
I have started keeping only boxes that can be broken down to a flattened state. But, like you have been doing, I have been tossing a lot of packaging for less valuable tools. :ahhh

I really do hope Gerber gets the cutter issues sorted, because the Diesel is a fine tool otherwise. A step in the right direction for Gerber  may be to modify the handles to accommodate the 600 pliers instead of the Diesel pliers.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: February 25, 2019, 05:11:07 PM
Thank you for checking on that,  Mike! :salute:
So, it would appear, the older US-assembled tools were likely to be less defective. We all definitely need to make sure we buy ones with pre-2015(or 16/17, not quite sure) to get good cutters. :ahhh
Understood! :cheers:
I have started keeping only boxes that can be broken down to a flattened state. But, like you have been doing, I have been tossing a lot of packaging for less valuable tools. :ahhh

I really do hope Gerber gets the cutter issues sorted, because the Diesel is a fine tool otherwise. A step in the right direction for Gerber  may be to modify the handles to accommodate the 600 pliers instead of the Diesel pliers.

Probably something Pre 16. I have 3 16th and they doesn't cut very well either. I usually use something around a 1mm2 copper stranded as gauge for cutter performance. I personally think these kind of wire are more demanding on cutter. Its either a clean cut or fold over. But of course this "test" is relative to my own needs.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: March 03, 2019, 06:33:16 PM
It seems no one at Gerber want to address the Diesel issue..  :think:

I sent another email to them last Sat with the original attachment and forwarded email but no one seems interested to reply. Both time, waited a week for their response. I think the last email I should be rude enough to warranty a reply from them but nothing...  :facepalm:
Screenshot_20190304_013600.jpg
* Screenshot_20190304_013600.jpg (Filesize: 132.36 KB)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:36:38 PM by Sam Lim »

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 03, 2019, 07:36:13 PM
Very sad Sam that they are ignoring what is a very reasonable request for some form of response, even basic acknowledgment. This is what can put someone off a brand permanently. I hope you get a response soon...  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: March 03, 2019, 08:23:09 PM
They may have his email flagged to go straight to the trash email. Could have something to do with multiple warranty request fulfillments from outside of the US It may not be them ignoring the email.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 05, 2019, 06:52:07 AM
But that's their general enquiry email... It's a real bummer if they do that..

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: March 05, 2019, 07:05:55 AM
I am just throwing ideas out. It isn't like it is a single person handling the entire email system, so outright ignoring the emails doesn't make sense.
One of the employees could have mistakenly marked your email address as a scam, thinking multiple exchanges could be a possible scam. It happens. Do you have an alternate email address to try sending from? And don't mention it has been exchanged before, as that could flag the new email.
Like I said, I'm just throwing some ideas out.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #59 on: March 05, 2019, 06:46:05 PM
Good idea to try sending from a different email address (and different subject).
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%