Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Diesel - Utterly disappointed.

us Offline GerberGear

• New User
Re: Gerber Diesel - Utterly disappointed.
Reply #60 on: March 06, 2019, 09:22:46 PM
Hi Sam,

Thank you for your continued communication regarding this matter, we appreciate your patience and effort to bring this to our attention. To give you some background and context on the situation, and how multiple tools were sent out to you that didn’t meet performance standards, please see below:

The issue of wire cutters not cutting thin strand wire or paper on the Diesel multi-tool was brought to our attention and we are taking steps to improve this issue on our production line and to meet customer expectations.  The issue was found to be a manufacturing tolerance between the 2 jaw sides to ensure the bypassing jaws cut large and small diameter wire well.  Over time, the Diesel tooling has worn and therefore reduced performance in cutting small diameter wire.  We have stopped shipping all Diesel models and are improving the tooling as well as current inventory. 

Gerber has a lifetime warranty and we stand behind all our manufactured products.  Making great product and meeting consumer expectations are very important to us and we will improve the product and make good with our great customers.

Thank you to the multitool.org community for your multi-tool passion and allowing this level of direct communication to our Gerber tool users.

Eric Moore
Product Manager, Multi-Tools

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: March 06, 2019, 09:42:39 PM
Hello Eric, it's most refreshing to see an open letter from a manufacturer in this forum.  :hatsoff:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: March 06, 2019, 09:46:27 PM
:iagree:

Still, Sam still has a Diesel that doesn't perform as it should, yet has no idea when and if he will ever get a perfect one...

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #63 on: March 07, 2019, 12:23:56 AM
:iagree:

Still, Sam still has a Diesel that doesn't perform as it should, yet has no idea when and if he will ever get a perfect one...
I'm sure he will now. Just need to wait until Gerber has their tooling repaired/replaced for the Diesel line. :tu:

Eric Moore,

Good work coming to the forum with this and addressing the issue. It has made me feel good about owning 50-60 Gerber multitools. :cheers:

I do hope you will take part in more of these situations in the future. That would definitely show solidarity in your resolve regarding the issues. Maybe next time the problem can he addressed before Sam(also an owner of dozens of Gerbers), or anyone in his position, has to repeatedly contact CS. :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 03:21:21 AM
Hi Sam,

Thank you for your continued communication regarding this matter, we appreciate your patience and effort to bring this to our attention. To give you some background and context on the situation, and how multiple tools were sent out to you that didn’t meet performance standards, please see below:

The issue of wire cutters not cutting thin strand wire or paper on the Diesel multi-tool was brought to our attention and we are taking steps to improve this issue on our production line and to meet customer expectations.  The issue was found to be a manufacturing tolerance between the 2 jaw sides to ensure the bypassing jaws cut large and small diameter wire well.  Over time, the Diesel tooling has worn and therefore reduced performance in cutting small diameter wire.  We have stopped shipping all Diesel models and are improving the tooling as well as current inventory. 

Gerber has a lifetime warranty and we stand behind all our manufactured products.  Making great product and meeting consumer expectations are very important to us and we will improve the product and make good with our great customers.

Thank you to the multitool.org community for your multi-tool passion and allowing this level of direct communication to our Gerber tool users.
(Image removed from quote.)

Eric Moore

I thank you for your reply Eric!

It's always comforting to know that Gerber is listening to feedbacks from consumers and taking action to correct things. It's not easy for a big company to admit errors and you did that, beautifully.

Do hang around here often.  :tu:

So now, there is a closure to this. They had send me a reply via email too. Big thanks to MTO and our big boss Grant.  :salute:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: March 07, 2019, 06:53:33 AM
In that case, I didn't say a thing :D

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: March 07, 2019, 08:27:10 AM
In that case, I didn't say a thing :D

:D They did list the Diesel as out of stock on their official website.  :salute: I am really looking forward to them fixing the Diesel. It have one of the bigger cutter and will be great for wiring works.  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #67 on: March 07, 2019, 12:01:21 PM
Huge respect for Gerber for stepping up like this.  There are a lot of ways for them to handle it quietly and to everyone's satisfaction, but they took the hit, and more importantly are taking steps to rectify the issue for everyone.

If that isn't the marque of a quality manufacturer, I don't know what is.

I have to say that I have been involved in a few issues like this over the years with just about every major manufacturer (yup, even THAT one) and they have all handled it quietly, behind the scenes, rectifying the issue quietly and sending the member a replacement and maybe a hat or sticker or something, but I do not recall any of them openly admitting a problem, halting production and shipping of the affected model and dealing with it first hand.

I have always had a lot of respect for Gerber, and now that level of respect has increased significantly.   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #68 on: March 07, 2019, 12:39:17 PM
I think it is pretty neat that Gerber responded like that and acknowledged they have a Problem and are working hard to Correct it!..Mine currently resides in my Pick Up Truck...I looked at the Jaws awhile back and didnt see any Issues with mine I guess it was made before the Tooling Issue...Neat that Someone from Gerber joined the Forums..Most of Us here are Multi Tool Fanatics (Not in a Bad Way)..Impressing or Wowing here should translate in to Grand Slam with most Folks...Plus We all come from lots of different Occupations and Professions I have been a Soldier Managed a Security Service a Mechanic Warehouseman Technician and Truck Driver...I am Happiest that they Fellow ith a Bad Tool will get it Addressed sometimes it takes a bit because it takes a bit to get things sorted out..Myself the Few Times I have used them Gerber has been top notch..With one of the Original Multi Pliers well over 20 years Ago I sent it in with a Note as to how the Jaws got Broken(Steeping On Handle to cut Small Bolt for a Drift Pin) I figured it was Abuse and wasn't covered..I got a New Tool Back a couple maybe 3 weeks later

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #69 on: March 07, 2019, 12:43:34 PM
Hi Sam,

Eric Moore

Please Visit Often! I for One am a Huge Fan of Gerbers Multis In Particular They are Priced Reasonably Enoughthat I dont feel Guilty beating the Snot Out of One or getting Dirty LOL Thanks for Helping Out a Forum Member and Thanks as a Company for Owning Up to a Production Quality Issue...Mistakes Happen How they are Fixed is Most Important

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #70 on: March 07, 2019, 12:44:31 PM
Huge respect for Gerber for stepping up like this.  There are a lot of ways for them to handle it quietly and to everyone's satisfaction, but they took the hit, and more importantly are taking steps to rectify the issue for everyone.

If that isn't the marque of a quality manufacturer, I don't know what is.

I have to say that I have been involved in a few issues like this over the years with just about every major manufacturer (yup, even THAT one) and they have all handled it quietly, behind the scenes, rectifying the issue quietly and sending the member a replacement and maybe a hat or sticker or something, but I do not recall any of them openly admitting a problem, halting production and shipping of the affected model and dealing with it first hand.

I have always had a lot of respect for Gerber, and now that level of respect has increased significantly.   :tu:

Def

Agreed!

I own more tools by Gerber than by their Portland neighbour, and find them a very reliable company, with less hype and BS than the other company (though I will say, I didn't like how the Centredrive marketting was handled). My Diesel is one of my favourite tool, not just in onboard features, but in ergonomics, which is very important to me, and an area which Gerber often beats their competitors. A Dime is permanently on my keys, and other multipliers (mainly 400,600 and Balance) regularly get pocket time here.  :salute:

Welcome to MTO, Eric, and thank you for taking the steps to both resolve Sam's issue, but also reassure the market that you are heeding the feedback you are given. :2tu: I hope this wasn't just a one off visit, and that you'll be willing to engage directly with us here at MTO more often in future.

While you're in a listening mood, may I take the opportunity to ask that Gerber seriously consider offering a tool steel alternative to your carbide cutters. I was a huge fan of the MP700, and the main reason I got rid of the ones (yes, multiples) I had and adopted the Balance instead, was the less brittle cutters. I feel the carbide inserts have been an achilles heel for me in the use of your tools, and while I do love many of your products, I now try to avoid anything which takes the carbide inserts (another reason I love the Diesel). For me, the cutters have always disintegrated before I've had cause to turn them for a fresh edge. A slight drop in hardness in favour of significantly increased toughness (something like ASP30 perhaps), would be a very significant leap forward for Gerber multitool users, without any design or tooling changes for the tools themselves, and I believe would put you in even better stead against your nearby competitor.

I hope Sam doesn't mind me dropping that in here.  :-[

Thanks again for listening, Eric, and for raising your head above the parapet. It is very much appreciated, and we hope to hear more from you in the months and years ahead.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #71 on: March 07, 2019, 01:07:07 PM
Classy move, Gerber.

I have a lot of multitools, but Gerbers are not the plurality nor do I own a Diesel. I think I might need to rectify that when their tooling has been redone and this line is available again.

:cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #72 on: March 07, 2019, 01:08:27 PM
Hi Sam,

Eric Moore

Welcome to the forums, Eric. :cheers:
After you address the Diesel wire-cutter issue, maybe you can have a look at the Center-Drive wire-cutter issue?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: March 07, 2019, 02:36:45 PM

While you're in a listening mood, may I take the opportunity to ask that Gerber seriously consider offering a tool steel alternative to your carbide cutters. I was a huge fan of the MP700, and the main reason I got rid of the ones (yes, multiples) I had and adopted the Balance instead, was the less brittle cutters. I feel the carbide inserts have been an achilles heel for me in the use of your tools, and while I do love many of your products, I now try to avoid anything which takes the carbide inserts (another reason I love the Diesel). For me, the cutters have always disintegrated before I've had cause to turn them for a fresh edge. A slight drop in hardness in favour of significantly increased toughness (something like ASP30 perhaps), would be a very significant leap forward for Gerber multitool users, without any design or tooling changes for the tools themselves, and I believe would put you in even better stead against your nearby competitor.

I hope Sam doesn't mind me dropping that in here.  :-[

Thanks again for listening, Eric, and for raising your head above the parapet. It is very much appreciated, and we hope to hear more from you in the months and years ahead.  :cheers:

Of course I dun mind. That would be super awlsome if they did!

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #74 on: November 20, 2019, 05:03:25 PM
As this has been several months, I am personally curious what Sam's thoughts on the replacement Gerber Diesel he has received or anyone for that matter.   While I understand this thread hasn't had any replies in several months, considering the manufacturer responded I am curious what the outcome is. 

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: November 21, 2019, 03:04:16 AM
As this has been several months, I am personally curious what Sam's thoughts on the replacement Gerber Diesel he has received or anyone for that matter.   While I understand this thread hasn't had any replies in several months, considering the manufacturer responded I am curious what the outcome is.

Gerber halted the production of the diesel at that time. They were very kind to send me a pro scout instead which I do not mind at all. If I am not wrong, Gerber started selling it again in their website. I am too very curious if anyone got one directly from Gerber to see if they had sorted out the issue. Getting from any reseller doesn't count as they may be very well holding the old stock that have issues.

ca Offline buggs

Reply #76 on: March 17, 2021, 06:19:20 PM
Gerber halted the production of the diesel at that time. They were very kind to send me a pro scout instead which I do not mind at all. If I am not wrong, Gerber started selling it again in their website. I am too very curious if anyone got one directly from Gerber to see if they had sorted out the issue. Getting from any reseller doesn't count as they may be very well holding the old stock that have issues.

I stumbled on this thread while searching for the Diesel.  To answer the above question I received a Diesel as a warranty replacement for a 20+ year old Recoil that had seized in various ways.  I just now checked on the cutters on the Diesel and the one I was issued works just fine - cutting both paper and small wires. 

As the Diesel is very new, it is very stiff.  At this point the notion of one handed, snap opening the pliers is impossible but that will change with time I expect.  The form factor in hand is very different from what I've used most lately (Wave+, Rebar) so it will take some getting used to.  But it will take it's place in my car's center console where the Recoil resided for years. 

AS a side note about the Recoil I actually miss those pliers that shot out the front end.  My model came with a sheath so I never had any accidental pocket assault issues.  And it wasn't the pliers that caused the warranty issue for me.  One of the pieces internally bent out of place on the scissors side so I couldn't open them fully.  While playing with it I opened the knife fully and now can't close it because it's locked open.  The first issue was the warranty issue, the latter my lack of maintenance I expect.  Wish I had the tools to disassemble the Recoil as I could probably get it working again.  I think I'm supposed to have disposed of them but can't bring myself to do it, as I'm sure many can relate. 

Final note: there is no stamp indicating date of production on my Diesel at all. 

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #77 on: April 03, 2021, 06:56:51 PM
Classy move, Gerber.

I have a lot of multitools, but Gerbers are not the plurality nor do I own a Diesel. I think I might need to rectify that when their tooling has been redone and this line is available again.

:cheers:

I think that You will like the Diesel

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31