Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

a few leatherman flair questions

us Offline rescue4500

a few leatherman flair questions
on: February 15, 2019, 04:36:50 PM
ive been looking at the leatherman flair for a good while now, and i do want one to have eventaully, but i have a few questions

how well do the implements work?
does anyone actually use the spreader or the fork?
is it worth the average of 100 dollars?

im not looking for a shelf piece here im looking for a multitool to use when i take my daughter and wife on picnics and it seems like a great classic fit, also it will go great with my leatherman collection when its not in use  ;)
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: a few leatherman flair questions
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 07:43:54 PM
They are a fine tool but I have never used the odd implements on them ::) I know some on here have though :salute: to me it isn't worth the $100 but that is also a matter of opinion and YMMV :cheers:

Hope you find one for a great deal :cheers: especially if you are going to use it :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 07:46:27 PM
Its a cool MT thats for sure.  I can't imagine the spreader not working of the fork  :dunno:.  As for price, I do hope you find one less than what you say they are going for.  I picked mine up very early on and had a heck of a time finding one at a price I was comfortable with. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline RicHT

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 08:19:38 AM
I have a flair, and although I have carried it, I personally would never have the need to use the quirky parts of it. Finally like most flair owners,
I bought it because it's different and collectable.....and a 'flair'.

For specific camping trips though, it would be a great choice and the tools would work exactly as needed.

Is it worth the money they demand? Well that's a matter of opinion. I believe it is as a collectors tool, but maybe not as a 'working tool'. That's just my opinion of course. :cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 08:59:59 AM
As others have said, it depends on how much you want one.
IMO. It isn't worth $100 unless it is NIB. You might look for one that needs some cleaning and polishing. :think:

I got lucky and bought one local for $5 with a broken combo blade. I purchased a plain edge blade and put it in, but later found a PST fixer-upper that had a perfect combo blade. Put the combo blade in the Flair and Plain blade in the fixer PST 2. I have about $30 tied up in a near-mint Flair. But, stuff like that, takes patience. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 10:35:08 AM
G'Day,

I like the Flair and use it sometimes. It is OK for food prep and the "fork" can pick little bits of food up. The tools work well, but if you going to use it for food stuff, be careful what you do with the rest of the tools. You don't really want "interesting" tastes with your picnic lunch!  :D

If you buy second-hand make sure the cork-screw back spring is not broken. That cannot be fixed and I doubt if Leatherman will be able to replace the tool. As said before, put a PST blade in and you have a very nice tool, I am not a fan of the combo-blade. Oh and the pate-knife works well  ;)

Cheers,

Pete

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 11:38:27 AM
I have 2, one to use, one to save.

It is a fun tool to use and the cocktail size fork works OK for its size. You can use the pliers to move BBQ grates and the rest for eating, cutting etc. Great for BBQs and quirky.

The corkscrew, as mentioned, is the weakest link, so operate it carefully. If you want the corkscrew for heavy use, try the Opinel No 10 Corkscrew, or the much more expensive Victorinox.

How much you are willing to spend depends on you. They used to be cheaper 5+ years ago. Because they are not bought for heavy use they are generally found in good condition.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 07:35:17 PM
thanks to everyone for all the great input, the 100 mile yard sale is coming up in july, maybe ill find one then ;)
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%