Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opening Alox vs Cellidor

us Offline hard.times.lures

Opening Alox vs Cellidor
on: February 17, 2019, 05:35:10 PM
As mentioned before, I have had nail breaking experience opening two Alox electrician knives.  They were brand new purchased last year.  I tried water-soap-dry-oil fix and no help.

I wish to know, compared to Cellidor models, how do you rate the Alox in how easy to open?

Thanks, Bryan

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Re: Opening Alox vs Cellidor
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:23:47 PM
As mentioned before, I have had nail breaking experience opening two Alox electrician knives.  They were brand new purchased last year.  I tried water-soap-dry-oil fix and no help.

I wish to know, compared to Cellidor models, how do you rate the Alox in how easy to open?

Thanks, Bryan

Bryan, the absence of back tools allows for much sturdier backsprings in the Alox models, so they will always be harder to open, it's just normal. The spring tension- at least in my experience - varies greatly in the different cellidor-sclaed models depending on the age, the tools etc, but in general, when there's no backtool on a given layer, it's also harder to open.

Now I'm not sure about the nail-breaking experience, did you find it gritty as well? Dirt, particles can make it almost impossible to open the tools sometimes, but based solely on the the info given, I can't tell if that is the problem in your case. Perhaps not, as you mentioned the thorough cleaning.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:25:44 PM by Exeter »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 06:25:41 PM
In my experience Cellidor SAKs are slightly easier to open with Wenger models having slightly looser springs, but I really haven't had any problem at all opening alox.

Maybe you just have a particularly bad example - as mentioned in the other threads have you tried oiling or cleaning yours?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Online smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:10:56 PM
The beefy back springs on the 93mm alox models makes them harder to open.  If the tools "snap" open and closed then this is probably normal.  If they don't have the snap then the knife is dirty or defective in some way.  Unlike many new Leathermans, you shouldn't be breaking nails opening the tools on a new Vic.
- Steve

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 10:11:25 PM
I cracked a nail on my 93mm Pioneer, but I was opening up multiple tools (for a photo)  :think: which added extra tension. But they are definitely tighter than the 91mm SAKs I have. Not a bad thing, as they’re less liky to fold on you. But they also snap closed with some speed! Gotta watch that with the main blade as it can catch you.  :D
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 10:24:54 PM
The beefy back springs on the 93mm alox models makes them harder to open. If the tools "snap" open and closed then this is probably normal.  If they don't have the snap then the knife is dirty or defective in some way.  Unlike many new Leathermans, you shouldn't be breaking nails opening the tools on a new Vic.

:iagree:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 10:53:58 PM
What happened to "though as nails" in 2019?   :whistle:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:36:14 AM
I rate the 93mm models as noticeably stiffer than 91mm models, but should not be nail-breakers unless (1) there is something wrong with the knife, or (2) there is something wrong with your fingernails.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 03:56:21 AM
The only nail breaking experience with a SAK i had so far, was quickly fixed with a good clean and some oil.  Maybe u could post a video of your issue knife? That might help figuring out what is going on  :think:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 07:05:03 AM
93mm Alox is supposed to be a bit stronger/reliable than the 91mm Cellidor tools. Alox is premium. :)
The Alox springs are stiff compared to most knives, but developing a good opening style can make a big difference. I usually place my thumbnail in the nail nick and pull the handles away and up, as to keep the force distributed along my entire thumbnail.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 04:55:36 PM
My Soldier is slightly harder to open than my Celidor.
But it shouldn't be a nail breaker. 
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 08:32:49 PM

Thanks, Bryan

I found that the electricians are more prone to The Nail breaking stiffness, especially on the electricians blade.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%