Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hudson Bay bushcrafter grips

il Offline israelpiper

Hudson Bay bushcrafter grips
on: December 04, 2019, 02:07:21 PM
Here is my take on essential haft grips for bushcrafting:

The axe is a no-brand 600 gm from a local ironmongery. But after something like 30 years, no complaints.
I don't fell Redwood or Oak or process firewood by the cord. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Hudson Bay bushcrafter grips
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 02:14:30 PM
 :like:.  You've got 30 years from it  :hatsoff:.  Its a lovely tool thats for sure. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 12:06:21 AM
It looks better for its age than I do. :cheers:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 02:48:21 AM
Sweet looking little axe, and the handle looks like it's comfortable to hold anywhere  :tu:

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 07:05:04 AM
Some experienced axe reviewers, far more experienced than I am, don't care for the fawn's foot hafts. Lots of well-made axes with straight handles, so I certainly cannot disagree with overwhelming long term practical experience. However, for lots of bushcrafting and other woodworking, the "double-bellied" (throat and belly to some) fawn's foot haft is an important feature--to my way of thinking. Like many, I need that end knob as a stop for broad swings, which I rarely make. Very light hatchets might not need those curves, but tend to have them. Hultafors and Granfors etc. have fawn's foot hafts on their very small belt hatchets. And if I could afford one of those tiny fellows, I'd buy one.  Fiskars polymer handles I should trust, but irrationally, I need the feel wooden handle. 600 gm is my choice of weight, as those grams do the work for me. I could use a lighter head sometimes. For a razor sharp edged small hatchet. My Hudson Bay, I keep sharp, but not razor sharp. Barks branches better, less accidental gouging or lifting off long, deep strips.

Those French trappers, who modified a medieval French axe head for North America, were on to something, using their small hatchets for a lot of what many would consider knife work. All those "reviews" on YT showing guys hacking at trees with their "chopping" survival knives, steel slabs, well, no comment. Axe me no questions, I'll fell you no lies!   
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:56:18 AM by israelpiper »

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:19:18 AM
i don't see a problem with that type of haft. if anything it seems a bit more secure for those who have issues with gauging what is too much power in a swing
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 12:48:12 PM
All that matters is it works for you.   :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 02:32:20 PM
 :iagree:

All the discussions for me end with users experience and preference.  You've found what works for you and  :hatsoff:.  Plus it look wonderful. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD