Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What’s not right for left handers?

us Offline MTFool

Re: What’s not right for left handers?
Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 10:34:37 PM
Yes. The only 111mm I have is also Left friendly.  :iagree:

Not sure if all 111mm liner locks are like this?  :dunno:

Liner lock engages from the right, so very natural to close with left hand (gives right handers an idea of what it’s like for us to use ‘normal’ liner locks)  :tu:

Here are some.
111 OH Close (lefthanded)
(Image removed from quote.)

130 has a button to release, and it's on the right side.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IF Y'all keep talking  I might give the  reason to purchasing one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rant:         :facepalm:

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 10:42:50 PM
The 111mm liner lock is a dream for lefties...  :tu:

Quick 5 second video demo here: https://youtu.be/3uPg1jV9hWI

Even the Screwdriver lock is left friendly  :salute:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:56:48 PM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #32 on: March 29, 2019, 02:41:45 AM
 :iagree:

The Nomad, I bought recently, has the same 'reverse' liner locks. I like using it with my left hand more than with my right hand. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #33 on: March 29, 2019, 09:23:01 AM
Do all the Victorinox 111mm Liner-lock models have the ‘reversed’ lock?  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #34 on: March 29, 2019, 09:27:25 AM
Yes, though the rescue/gutting blade on the Hunter XL and the Dual Pro is right-handed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: March 29, 2019, 12:04:50 PM
Nail nicks never really bothered me and I suspect if I ever got my hands on a left handed Wenger it would confuse the hell out of my fingers.  :D

OHO blades though; that's a whole different story.  It always amazed me that LM made a whole new blade for the Danish market but have never made one for what, statistically, has to be one tenth of their market. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: March 29, 2019, 02:37:12 PM
Lefties, in short, are statistically slightly more intelligent than right hand dominant people. That may give an advantage of being faster to adapt to a right-hand oriented tool using the left hand.
Now whether the intelligence will predispose someone to be left-hand dominant, or if left-hand dominance makes people more clever from navigating the right-hand dominant world, is an entirely different topic. Which I won't dive into.

Now, that said. In regards to most SAKs, I would say that the tools aren't specifically designed for the right hand usage. My reasoning for this is that using the left hand opening methods doesn't necessarily have to be like operating it with the right hand. Just use different fingernails to open blades. Once that is the case and one has become very efficient with operating the SAK left-handed, then it looks like they have been leaving right handed people out.  :D

Same with MT scissors. It doesn't take much effort to reposition hand-opposed scissors configurations. I use tons of MT scissors with either hand frequently. It is just a matter of tilting the medium to see the cutting with opposite blade configurations. The the thumb can always be, of whichever dominant hand we discuss, repositioned to operate the scissors more effectively.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37 on: March 29, 2019, 03:36:18 PM
Statistics aside...  :pok:

I would class tool handedness for left handed people into three classes:

1. Almost irrelevant.
No physical difference for left or right use, only visual. Examples would be text on a pen (upside down), logo on a knife (faces away).

2. Mildly annoying.
Tool orientation in left or right hand creates some difficulty for left-handed use. Examples would be knife liner locks and many OHO MTs, digital calipers, potato peelers, tin openers, scissors, smudgy pens.

3. Painful.
Tools physically contoured for right-hand use that are downright painful or sometimes impossible for a left-hander to use. Examples include scissors with ergonomically shaped handles, firearms with thumb rests or shaped stocks, and any other object that requires a firm or prolonged grip that is contoured for the right hand.

Fortunately, most tools fall into categories 1 and 2 and as a lefty I hardly take any notice of the difference.  :salute: (with left hand :-)

us Offline MTFool

Reply #38 on: March 29, 2019, 10:21:35 PM
  :like: :iagree: very well said
Statistics aside...  :pok:

I would class tool handedness for left handed people into three classes:

1. Almost irrelevant.
No physical difference for left or right use, only visual. Examples would be text on a pen (upside down), logo on a knife (faces away).

2. Mildly annoying.
Tool orientation in left or right hand creates some difficulty for left-handed use. Examples would be knife liner locks and many OHO MTs, digital calipers, potato peelers, tin openers, scissors, smudgy pens.

3. Painful.
Tools physically contoured for right-hand use that are downright painful or sometimes impossible for a left-hander to use. Examples include scissors with ergonomically shaped handles, firearms with thumb rests or shaped stocks, and any other object that requires a firm or prolonged grip that is contoured for the right hand.

Fortunately, most tools fall into categories 1 and 2 and as a lefty I hardly take any notice of the difference.  :salute: (with left hand :-)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #39 on: March 29, 2019, 10:24:54 PM
 :hatsoff:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: March 29, 2019, 11:21:32 PM
Excellent categorization, Max! :like:

For the record, I am technically right-hand dominant. That is, until I had multiple surgeries to repair, and ultimately remove, my right biceps tendon.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #41 on: March 30, 2019, 08:06:44 AM
Thanks GLBM.  :hatsoff:

That’s a serious op. But it is remarkable how the body can adapt to changes. Puts lots of things into perspective when something forces you to think or behave differently.  :iagree:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: March 30, 2019, 12:27:53 PM
That sounds nasty GLBM  >:(
fail to prepare prepare to fail

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: March 30, 2019, 02:01:31 PM
Thanks GLBM.  :hatsoff:

That’s a serious op. But it is remarkable how the body can adapt to changes. Puts lots of things into perspective when something forces you to think or behave differently.  :iagree:
:cheers:
It really does. Having to buy left-hand configured scissors and shears for leather and veneer was a reality check. :ahhh

Luckily the arm healed and the remaining muscle groups have compensated for it and I can lift about 1/3 the weightI used to. Not great for a job working with antique furniture, but manageable.

All said and done, being left in an ambidextrous state is a huge benefit at my job.   :)

That sounds nasty GLBM  >:(

Thanks, W!  :cheers:

The down time from the first surgery is what caused me to look into possible MT replacements for the Pinchy and my subsequent joining of MT.o and beginning a collection.  :woohoo:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #44 on: March 30, 2019, 04:19:09 PM
You get collections...and then collections   :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: March 30, 2019, 10:46:55 PM
 :woohoo:  That is so true! :iagree:

It always begins with acquiring, then collecting, then collections, and ultimately insanity.  :rofl:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #46 on: March 30, 2019, 10:55:57 PM
 :rofl: at least we’ll have MTs to escape those straitjackets  :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: March 31, 2019, 04:26:44 AM
 :rofl:
Good one, Max!

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #48 on: March 31, 2019, 09:33:43 PM
I've been living in a 'right-handed' world all-of-my-life. :o So most things are just mildly annoying, as others have stated.  I wish, more companies would step-up like Benchmade has with the axis-lock on their ambi auto-knives.  They would garner more sales with southpaws by selling some dedicated models.   
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #49 on: March 31, 2019, 10:49:48 PM
eTripper you’re right (sorry...correct)  :)

Ambidextrous tools are the best as some situations force you to use the other hand. Combat training teaches you to be proficient with your less dominant hand when handling weapons, and if life, you can be faced with an unexpected situation that disables an arm or hand, and you need to deploy a knife or tool by yourself.

Unfortunately, ambidextrous tools require unique designs, and as SAKs and MTs are generally not left/right symmetrical, this can be difficult. The exception are tools that can deploy kinetically, such as some MT pliers. Leatherman Free may also fall into this category because of the new magnetic deployment system...we’ll have to see.  :dunno:

I suppose back locks knives and MTs with symmetrical locks are ambidextrous, but only if the tool supports left/right hand OH opening.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%